Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm just wondering why Wells doesn't write more like this. Why was it so hard to write Spider-Man being this effective in earlier issues?
    Earlier issues were so focused on "What did Peter do!?!?!?!" and taking him through a long process of grief and trying to set a new 'status quo'. Once they figured they'd spent enough time doing that, they are just writing stories in that world, and you get to see Peter being more like Peter afterwards. It's annoying at times but that's more or less the process.

-Establish things early on that people will love or hate
    -Once things are established, start telling stories in that world

They're on the second part, and it feels like there's more freedom or rather less narrative things they "HAVE" to do, and can just tell the stories in the world now.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Earlier issues were so focused on "What did Peter do!?!?!?!" and taking him through a long process of grief and trying to set a new 'status quo'. Once they figured they'd spent enough time doing that, they are just writing stories in that world, and you get to see Peter being more like Peter afterwards. It's annoying at times but that's more or less the process.

-Establish things early on that people will love or hate
    -Once things are established, start telling stories in that world

They're on the second part, and it feels like there's more freedom or rather less narrative things they "HAVE" to do, and can just tell the stories in the world now.
    But this has been a problem for like the entire run.

Even in other periods where Peter's been depressed or in a funk he's been more on the ball and competent as Spidey compared to here. Do I need to bring up the list of all the times he's gotten beaten up or needed to be saved or was not allowed to beat the villain on his own?

This is the most the comic has felt like an actual Spider-Man comic in a long time.

But this has been a problem for like the entire run.

Even in other periods where Peter's been depressed or in a funk he's been more on the ball and competent as Spidey compared to here. Do I need to bring up the list of all the times he's gotten beaten up or needed to be saved or was not allowed to beat the villain on his own?

This is the most the comic has felt like an actual Spider-Man comic in a long time.
    I consider the Dock Ock story also feeling like a Spider-Man comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    I consider the Dock Ock story also feeling like a Spider-Man comic.
    Well, there was that infamous scene with Ms. Marvel's mask...but also felt like we had to have Norman more involved in the resolution than Spidey.

Astonishing Member

I'm just wondering why Wells doesn't write more like this. Why was it so hard to write Spider-Man being this effective in earlier issues?
    Because we’re finally in the home stretch and the toys are being repaired to be put back in toy chest for the next child instead of continuing to break them under the mistaken apprehension that broken toys = a compelling story.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Calls my attention the last words of "Queen Goblin", saying she didn't lie when she said Spider-Man has used the machine before.

We have never seen him using the machine, but what about if he used, without us seeing it? How about if, while he was influenced by the Goblin's sins, the vengeful Spider-Man used the machine to make sure he would return if he's turned "good" again?

Maybe this is the explaining behind the whole mess of the "Spider-Goblin".

I guess it's right what they say: "In the end, you are your worst enemy".
    Can you imagine if this entire run is retconned as Beyond trying to Winkler Device Peter into a Spider-Goblin?

What we've* been seeing is actually Peter fighting it in his mind, and ultimately Ben, Janine and Ashley save him (somewhere mid-Beyond) from the device, explaining that the last year+ was the Device trying to control him, then Peter and Ben take Beyond down? That'd be a real **** you. Lol.

*you're seeing. I stopped reading a long time ago.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Can you imagine if this entire run is retconned as Beyond trying to Winkler Device Peter into a Spider-Goblin?

What we've* been seeing is actually Peter fighting it in his mind, and ultimately Ben, Janine and Ashley save him (somewhere mid-Beyond) from the device, explaining that the last year+ was the Device trying to control him, then Peter and Ben take Beyond down? That'd be a real **** you. Lol.

*you're seeing. I stopped reading a long time ago.
    You’re not the only one saying that. People have been pulling for mind control as the reveal to why this run is so horribly off ever since Dead Language.

It really says something when a majority of online opinion would rather the characters be under mind control, their agency taken away and unable to think for themselves, than accept the story as written because the story is so unpalatable.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Because we’re finally in the home stretch and the toys are being repaired to be put back in toy chest for the next child instead of continuing to break them under the mistaken apprehension that broken toys = a compelling story.
    It's just hard to tell when he's doing it intentionally .

It's just hard to tell when he's doing it intentionally .
    Even if Wells is at the final stretch, there's still the chance for an unsatisfying ending being high. The way it's been thus far, I don't think that it will end with a possitive resolution or just end his run with anything being remotely a resolution and/or being positive. I dunno, he either *doesn't know* or *doesn't want to* write possitive stuff. It just always has to be depressing and/or awkward, somthing like "even though the villian is defeated, things will still suck no matter what".

One thing I can be certain of is, that Wells will "clean" (or kinda do it) his mess before leaving, because no team after him will want this "dark could" hanging over their heads. They don't want a repeat of Spencer, cleaning after Slott's mess. Especailly when ASM legacy issue #1000 is closing in.

Quote Originally Posted by Konnik92 View Post
    Even if Wells is at the final stretch, there's still the chance for an unsatisfying ending being high. The way it's been thus far, I don't think that it will end with a possitive resolution or just end his run with anything being remotely a resolution and/or being positive. I dunno, he either *doesn't know* or *doesn't want to* write possitive stuff. It just always has to be depressing and/or awkward, somthing like "even though the villian is defeated, things will still suck no matter what".

One thing I can be certain of is, that Wells will "clean" (or kinda do it) his mess before leaving, because no team after him will want this "dark could" hanging over their heads. They don't want a repeat of Spencer, cleaning after Slott's mess. Especailly when ASM legacy issue #1000 is closing in.
    spencer choose to clean up Slott stuff alongside many other past runs in his run. I dont think it will be mandatory for the next writer to fix what wrong with Wells run only if they choose to.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    You’re not the only one saying that. People have been pulling for mind control as the reveal to why this run is so horribly off ever since Dead Language.

It really says something when a majority of online opinion would rather the characters be under mind control, their agency taken away and unable to think for themselves, than accept the story as written because the story is so unpalatable.
    Mind control can be awful for the very reasons you mention, but I’ve also seen many stories showcasing how characters work to reclaim their agency and overcome their trauma after being manipulated and used.

I guess I would rather a story of our heroes being revealed as manipulated, and then triumphantly overcoming it, than to be told “no, they’re just like this now and you should accept it.”
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Astonishing Member

I'm so ready for a new creative team to take over, on the other hand I dread who that'll be

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    I'm so ready for a new creative team to take over, on the other hand I dread who that'll be
    Until the current editorial changes...there's really not much point. As long as the Breevoort Manifesto remains in effect...the book will just be trapped either rehashing the 1970's stories...or doing wacky stuff like magic dimensions.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Until the current editorial changes...there's really not much point. As long as the Breevoort Manifesto remains in effect...the book will just be trapped either rehashing the 1970's stories...or doing wacky stuff like magic dimensions.
    Pretty much. If they shuffled editors like they did with Avengers and X-Men, it may give some of us hopium though lol.

Anyone seen/heard where Venom editor Devin Lewis is moving to? He announced he was leaving Venom a while ago, but nothing more since.