Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    God the PIS of the victims of Maxine blaming pretty much everyone except her is just painful especially when she is literally the one who screwed up both Ben and Kafka. First Ben blames Peter for his mental state and now Kafka blames Ben for her becoming Queen Goblin. Just go after the actual person who’s the cause of this and be done with it.
    Maxine's in jail (unless she got out) so they need someone else to conveniently blame I guess.

You know what the most frustrating thing about what was otherwise an actually good scene with Ben and Janine? The fact that Ben has the clarity to express the fear that without Peter’s formative memories, what if he’s just bad which presents both a degree of self-awareness of his actions not being on the level and that that isn’t the kind of person he wants to be. So at that point, it ends up just raising the question of why Ben never bothered to consider just talking to Peter in the first place rather than doing this whole convoluted mess he did?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You know what the most frustrating thing about what was otherwise an actually good scene with Ben and Janine? The fact that Ben has the clarity to express the fear that without Peter’s formative memories, what if he’s just bad which presents both a degree of self-awareness of his actions not being on the level and that that isn’t the kind of person he wants to be. So at that point, it ends up just raising the question of why Ben never bothered to consider just talking to Peter in the first place rather than doing this whole convoluted mess he did?
    Maybe he was realizing that in that moment and not before. Worrying about being a bad person is not someone evil will do either

So with regards to today's Amazing Spider-Man...I'm probably not alone in thinking that Kafka/Queen Goblin claiming that Spider-Man did use the Winkler Device but doesn't remember it will be the explanation for why he'll become the Spider-Goblin. And retroactively explain why Peter has acted the way he has throughout this entire run: "He wasn't written out of character. He was brainwashed this entire time!"

EDIT: Keep in mind, there's still a six month gap of missing time from the events of "Dead Languages" to the start of Wells' run on Amazing Spider-Man. That's plenty of time for Wells to go, "Oh yeah, that whole period where Peter was going all emo over having lost Mary Jane to Paul "The Genocidal Manbun" Rabin? He got strapped to the Winkler Device!"
    Last edited by stillanerd; 04-24-2024 at 07:24 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    So with regards to today's Amazing Spider-Man...I'm probably not alone in thinking that Kafka/Queen Goblin claiming that Spider-Man did use the Winkler Device but doesn't remember it will be the explanation for why he'll become the Spider-Goblin. And retroactively explain why Peter has acted the way he has throughout this entire run: "He wasn't written out of character. He was brainwashed this entire time!"

EDIT: Keep in mind, there's still a six month gap of missing time from the events of "Dead Languages" to the start of Wells' run on Amazing Spider-Man. That's plenty of time for Wells to go, "Oh yeah, that whole period where Peter was going all emo over having lost Mary Jane to Paul "The Genocidal Manbun" Rabin? He got strapped to the Winkler Device!"
    How many more issues of BS story telling do we have left?

Fantastic Member

I am beginning to think that Queen Goblin is being set up to be the final villain in this run. Not saying that it's going to be any good, few things in this book have been, but I have noticed her being more in the spotlight than I thought it she would.

Fantastic Member

I noticed this as well but I don't think it will be used to explain a large chunk of time. I mean, it could be. But there's a few things that under a better team might suggest otherwise. But from the people that brought us Stephanie Romy from the Married uh not Married Couple of Paul and MJ, anything could mean nothing.

First, Eve says Kafka told her Peter was "the last one to use the machine" which would suggest if Peter had the machine used on him, it was after she used it on Hobgoblin (the real one, Kingsley).

Next, in the previous issue when Peter arrives one of the the goons says "He's back". This could go either way, but to me suggests Spider-Man has been in the building where the device is currently housed somewhat recently.

Lastly, the Winkler device also probably explains why Peter doesn't remember his date with Michelle 2. Which also would imply a recent use.

But given that it's Wells and Lowe, these could be oversights or unnecessary details that create unconsidered contradictions.

I also think it's kinda stupid that the Winkler device is just a Goblin machine and not a brainwashing machine now. And it also somehow gave Ben a premonition of the future? And if Peter used it last how was Kafka using it to torture Ben into being a Goblin?

I dunno.
    Last edited by Coop; 04-24-2024 at 08:46 PM.

Amazing Member

I definitely agree that the Michele thing was a red herring and an indicator that the machine was used recently. I just think it is weird that if her goal was a goblinized Peter, why try and stop him after he is goblinized by the spear. Just seems like a weird decision on her part like I get her primary goal was to regoblin Norman but if a secondary goal was to also get Peter why not use the situation to her advantage

I don't like the idea that Kafka was behind the Winkler all along. Other than that, this was a pretty good issue.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

I wonder why Ock doesn’t tell the rest of the Six Peters identity now that he knows it again, he could destroy him with that much easier lol

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    I wonder why Ock doesn’t tell the rest of the Six Peters identity now that he knows it again, he could destroy him with that much easier lol
    He knows it in Superior Spider-man, not Amazing.

Not likely that Ock retains that info. I would think events in Amazing happen after Superior.

I'm just wondering why Wells doesn't write more like this. Why was it so hard to write Spider-Man being this effective in earlier issues?

Astonishing Member

Calls my attention the last words of "Queen Goblin", saying she didn't lie when she said Spider-Man has used the machine before.

We have never seen him using the machine, but what about if he used, without us seeing it? How about if, while he was influenced by the Goblin's sins, the vengeful Spider-Man used the machine to make sure he would return if he's turned "good" again?

Maybe this is the explaining behind the whole mess of the "Spider-Goblin".

I guess it's right what they say: "In the end, you are your worst enemy".

All-New Member

I'm guessing Peter used the Henry Winkler device (Insert Jumping the shark joke here) on himself in the period after he took the spear for Norman and was goblinized, and eventually cured. Kudos to Wells for generating some suspense, though for me his run has largely been a poorly considered misfire.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maxine's in jail (unless she got out) so they need someone else to conveniently blame I guess.
    Presumably in jail as of the end of Hallows' Eve's mini, but she did seem pretty confident that she'd buy her way out, so if she shows up again . . . that'd likely be how she managed it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.