Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Default Outsiders: Terrifics would have been better

I am a devoted fan to Planetary but this latest rendition of the Outsiders is going to mess up Planetary up immensely & IHMO, this whole story should have been done in the TERRIFICS.Michael Holt & his team was incredible way better than the Fantastic 4 to say the least. Jakita Wagner should have found Mr. Terrific & the Terrifics discovering the Carrier would have made a lot more sense than Batman's business partner funding the project which proves that DC has to have the Bat connected to Everything in the DCU like a mafiosa Don.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

The terriffics was a hard book to get into, but I liked the fact that Tom strong was on the team.
    Last edited by protege; 04-19-2024 at 02:26 PM.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain of Earth 20 View Post
    I am a devoted fan to Planetary but this latest rendition of the Outsiders is going to mess up Planetary up immensely & IHMO, this whole story should have been done in the TERRIFICS.Michael Holt & his team was incredible way better than the Fantastic 4 to say the least. Jakita Wagner should have found Mr. Terrific & the Terrifics discovering the Carrier would have made a lot more sense than Batman's business partner funding the project which proves that DC has to have the Bat connected to Everything in the DCU like a mafiosa Don.
    I absolutely agree with you. That would've been soooooo much better! The Terrifics need to come back ASAP. That was a fun team.

^^^Pretty much what I thought when the book was announced.
    Batman being attached to this even by proxy is just sad.

Totally agreed! One of my issues with the book is that it could have been done with other DC teams that fit that role. Why call it the Outsiders and have it star Luke Fox and Batwoman? The Terrifics would have been perfect since Planetary dealt with an evil version of the FF. This whole concept would be great for Mr. Terrific.

I was thinking that they should have done it with the Challengers of the Unknown but the Terrifics would have been way better. Good call on that.

Ugh now I’m pissed about what could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I was thinking that they should have done it with the Challengers of the Unknown but the Terrifics would have been way better. Good call on that.
    ^^^Yes, yes…

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Ugh now I’m pissed about what could have been.
    …and yes.

The Challengers would’ve been the bolder choice which I’d have loved, but the Terrifics getting a mini like this would have been a real treat for their fans of which I’m one.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

This concept would have worked better with just about any other team than what we were given. Even Young Justice would have been a better team as they all have experience with multiversal stuff. Terrifics would have been IDEAL...like PERFECT. Challengers of the Unknown, Doom Patrol would have even worked better. I jumped ship when they had an entire issue devoted to various Batmen...what was the point of that? A book that was supposed to be about the multiverse and the hidden history of the DC Universe became all about Batman. Just disappointing in what it could have been.

The other interesting note is that the editor actually wanted the series named something else but Lanzing and Kelly fought to keep the Outsiders name.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Mighty Member

Well said..... Agreed and co-signed!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    This concept would have worked better with just about any other team than what we were given. Even Young Justice would have been a better team as they all have experience with multiversal stuff. Terrifics would have been IDEAL...like PERFECT. Challengers of the Unknown, Doom Patrol would have even worked better. I jumped ship when they had an entire issue devoted to various Batmen...what was the point of that? A book that was supposed to be about the multiverse and the hidden history of the DC Universe became all about Batman. Just disappointing in what it could have been.

The other interesting note is that the editor actually wanted the series named something else but Lanzing and Kelly fought to keep the Outsiders name.
    Young Justice is a horribly bad suggestion for such a plot. Dear God!!!

The Outsiders makes faaar more sense than YJ for such stories.

Basically anyone would have been better than Batwing and Batwoman.
    But yes, thematically the Terrifics would have been great, especially considering that Planetary’s villains were also alternate Fantastic Four characters. Tonally, I’m not so sure because Terrifics seems like a lighter book.
    But I’d rather not have gotten any version of this, to be honest. As much as I think it would have been interesting to add Planetary to the backstory of the DCU, the writers involved were not the right ones to do it.

Historically, the Outsiders is the bigger brand, so I'm not surprised DC rolled with it over the Terrifics.

I've also heard (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the current run is Outsiders in name only? (No Black Lightning or Katana?)

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Young Justice is a horribly bad suggestion for such a plot. Dear God!!!

The Outsiders makes faaar more sense than YJ for such stories.
    Well I am ever so broken hearted you disagree. How do you think two characters who have never had any experience with the multiverse or anything of the sort work out better? Neither character (outside of Jakita Wagner) has any history with the multiverse, Tim, Kon and Bart all have experience with the multiverse. They are obviously characters you dont care for, but just because you can't see their benefit doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Historically, the Outsiders is the bigger brand, so I'm not surprised DC rolled with it over the Terrifics.

I've also heard (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the current run is Outsiders in name only? (No Black Lightning or Katana?)
    Correct. The current iteration has nothing to do with any previous team or agenda outside of a tangential connection to Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    ^^^I'm not surprised either, but much like in the movies, casting the more popular actor in a certain role doesn’t always equal casting the best actor.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Correct. The current iteration has nothing to do with any previous team or agenda outside of a tangential connection to Batman.
    Well that would explain why the current run has started off as a sales bomb then.

The Outsiders without Black Lightning & Katana is probably going to have most Outsider fans sitting on their wallets.

Character selection is so important to the success of a team book.