Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I concur. I thought the Wolverine/Jean just didn't translate well on the big screen, lacked chemistry and depth, and came off a little contrived. It would gave been better for them to have left it out altogether.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by All-New Valar Stercus NOW.1 View Post
    The weird thing is that the Jean/Logan stuff barely existed in the 90's. He had to be near death for her to give him the time of day and his half of it was mostly a 80's thing.
    It's all based on a lame retcon anyway...in the original stories, it was entirely one-sided with Wolverine having a thing for her and showing absolutely no interest in him at all...it was all about Scott/Jean...then, years later, Claremont is butthurt over Marvel editorial bringing Jean back and derailing his plans for Cyclops so he wants to undermine them as a couple and uses those Classic X-Men back-up stories to retcon in that she could barely keep her hands off him the whole time. It never made sense and really undermines the love story at the heart of the Phoenix saga and makes all three characters in the triangle look bad...and Claremont is still doing it in terrible books like X-Men Forever...if the Death of Wolverine ends with Jean descending from the white hot room to carry him off to the afterlife (as I'm afraid it will), I plan to vomit.

The movies have all been crap because they've all been the Wolverine show with cameos by other X-Men only there to make him look cooler...I really hope they do a full franchise reboot when Jackman hangs up his claws and make the first actual X-MEN movie.

BANNED

If they reboot the Wolverine character with a younger actor, they can start the Jean/Logan romance over and do it even better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeSoSlim View Post
    If they reboot the Wolverine character with a younger actor, they can start the Jean/Logan romance over and do it even better.
    If by do it better you mean not do it at all, I agree entirely.

BANNED

I think if they were to start it now, the creators would know to just let it build over a series of films instead of rushing it.

They'd have a pretty badass X-Men power-couple on their hands.

Astonishing Member

I think if they were to start it now, the creators would know to just let it build over a series of films instead of rushing it.

They'd have a pretty badass X-Men power-couple on their hands.
    Yeah they do...Cyclops and Jean...if both characters were actually done right.

BANNED

Wouldn't be the same. It would lose half the cool-factor.

Astonishing Member

Wouldn't be the same. It would lose half the cool-factor.
    No, it wouldn't...Cyke is much more of a badass than he ever got to be in the movies...Jean too, for that matter...contrary to Bryan Singer's belief, Wolverine is NOT the only cool or popular X-Man.

I recall on my latest rewatch of the first movie that mostly the X-Men are real jerks to each other. I'm not sure they say a nice thing to each other throughout the first three films.
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    No, it wouldn't...Cyke is much more of a badass than he ever got to be in the movies...Jean too, for that matter...contrary to Bryan Singer's belief, Wolverine is NOT the only cool or popular X-Man.
    he WAS at the time . (pre-revolution, cyke didnt realy have many fans, just like most male x-men. logical, since claremont's x-men were mostly "wolverine and harem of claremazons", and for many years other writers followed suit)

BANNED

I dunno, I just feel like with proper build-up, as cool as Jean Grey and Wolverine are separately, if they put effort behind building their dynamic, they'd be an epic duo.

They could be the Sue Storm and Reed Richards of the X-Men, except they'd be less married and more interesting.

Astonishing Member

I dunno, I just feel like with proper build-up, as cool as Jean Grey and Wolverine are separately, if they put effort behind building their dynamic, they'd be an epic duo.

They could be the Sue Storm and Reed Richards of the X-Men, except they'd be less married and more interesting.
    And totally untrue to the characters...and not just Jean's...Wolverine, when written properly, is not a leader...popularity is the only reason they ever put him in that role...and, because they did, he didn't get to be the true badass everyone used to love...no doubt part of the reason they're killing him off now.
    Last edited by grinningdemon; 09-10-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kikaze View Post
    he WAS at the time . (pre-revolution, cyke didnt realy have many fans, just like most male x-men. logical, since claremont's x-men were mostly "wolverine and harem of claremazons", and for many years other writers followed suit)
    I'll admit he's a lot more popular now (something they should capitalize on in the films)...but he's always been popular...remember, he was removed from the X-Men for years for X-Factor (which was actually a better book than Uncanny at times)...and he's mostly been a mainstay in the X-Men regardless of the writer since his return.

I'm not that much of a fan of the pairing in any medium to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by All-New Valar Stercus NOW.1 View Post
    The weird thing is that the Jean/Logan stuff barely existed in the 90's. He had to be near death for her to give him the time of day and his half of it was mostly a 80's thing.
    The retcon Claremont shoehorned in really was unnecessary as it is just his own fan fic that actually got published. Thing is it influenced the whole of the franchise and the three characters involved pretty radically in not very good ways. Even the Fox animated series, as unsubtle and bombastic as it often was, got the triangle right by having Logan occasionally pining for Jean in mostly silent suffering which she probably knew so it made things awkward between them. It was barely ever brought up and Logan's actual loves got much more serious development.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    That's probably because Chris Claremont left in 1991 and he was the only X-men writer who really ever championed Jean/Wolverine and he didn't even champion it for a good reason. The only reason he ever wanted them together was because he didn't like Cyclops anymore. Not because he thought Jean and Wolverine were a good fit for one another. He just didn't like Cyclops. As brilliant as Chris Claremont is, that's a bad reason to hook them up and Singer made a huge mistake by pretending it was anything more than a horribly contrived idea.
    Jean and Logan. Madelyne Pryor. It's really kind of amazing what the franchise's signature writer established in the canon simply because he had a bone to pick with editorial...

BANNED

Sure Wolverine can lead. He's only had 200 years of life experience.

He did plenty of "snarking at the leader" in those movies.

Anyway, he wouldn't necessarily have to be the leader in the event they reboot the character and build up to the Jean/Logan stuff in a proper way.

Cyclops could be the field leader.