Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

They could always introduce Lee Forrester or something or just imply that Cyclops has sex, or resurrect Emma Frost.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeSoSlim View Post
    So basically...Jean has to be owned by Cyclops and Cyclops has to be the leader in order for it to be an X-Men film?

I don't t think that is true in any context, especially not in an alternate reality movie universe. Perhaps Jean Grey could own herself?

That wouldn't make Cyclops less of a leader.
    I agree with the other posters who have said this whole idea of Scott "owning" her only comes up from people who don't like them as a couple...there is no basis for it at all in the comics or the movies...if anything, it's the other way around...even when she's dead, she's still got a hold on him...Emma knew that all along and commented on it more than once (among other characters).

But if that's your definition of him "owning" her, then it sounds like what you want is for Wolverine to "own" her since you want Scott taken out of the equation entirely.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    since you want Scott taken out of the equation entirely.
    That would indeed be the most interesting solution, actually.

As for the owning comment, I was referring to another poster's comment that used that particular word.

It is a good word for the comics depictions though, when you actually put some thought into it.

I've noticed that most of the Cyclops fans here, and Marvel's editorial department unfortunately, believe that Jean Grey should not exist unless she's going to be with Cyclops.

That pretty much means they think he should own her no? If she can only exist as belonging to him?

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

As for the owning comment, I was referring to another poster's comment that used that particular word.

It is a good word for the comics depictions though, when you actually put some thought into it.

I've noticed that most of the Cyclops fans here, and Marvel's editorial department unfortunately, believe that Jean Grey should not exist unless she's going to be with Cyclops.

That pretty much means they think he should own her no? If she can only exist as belonging to him?
    Point out these fans. Most are Scemma fans, and even the Jott ones don't need her tied to Scott..........
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

Unless you actually have stats/evidence on the bolded, I'd rethink your wording.

Quote Originally Posted by antiochene View Post
    Unless you actually have stats/evidence on the bolded, I'd rethink your wording.
    I'll give poster the benefit of the doubt and say they've met like 1 CBR Scott fan, and that one thinks as such. Otherwise, ouch, feelings = hurt lol
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kikaze View Post
    what i'm saying is, it would make cyclops fans complain. wolverine has all these interesting things going for him (love triangle, being a black ops badass dude, mysterious past, all these special enemies like weapon X and sabertooth, powers weak but acceptable for a high-end superhero, etc), and cyclops has absolutely nothing(boring personality for most audience, ubelievably weak and limited powerset, no personal storylines) except jean and leadership. take one thing away and he is left with next-to-nothing. the only things that make cyke interesting in the comics(the tangled family tree of uber badass post-apocalyptic time traveling kids, and the Revolution) will NEVER EVER be explored in the films(too complex), so... its either keep these 2 things for cyclops,(jean & leadership) or better not to use him at all, it'll be insulting.

too bad people didnt see it when claremont was writing him, how limited the team leader's use in the story was. it was "barely acceptable", thats why taking ONE aspect away leaves him with nothing.
    Spoken as someone who clearly doesn't even like the character...a lot of fans do (a lot more these days but he always had a following) and, in my opinion, he was always far more interesting than Wolverine, the most overrated character in comics who doesn't have a particularly interesting personality (supposedly a loner and yet joins every team in the Marvel universe), is always called a badass but really isn't much of a fighter at all (he couldn't have a fight with AUNT MAY without getting a mortal wound), and doesn't even have that mysterious past you're talking about anymore...and you think CYCLOPS is the one with weak powerset? Really? Well, those weak powers have already been shown in both AoA and Ultimatum to be capable of killing Wolverine and he's actually done a lot of visually interesting things with those powers that they never bothered to do in the movies (in the comics, he's a master of ricochet and angle shots). Then there's the love triangle you list as one of the things that supposedly makes Wolverine so interesting...you do realize that removing Scott/Jean also means taking that away, right?

In all his time with the X-Men, there are actually surprisingly few big stories that center on Wolverine (which is why they had to rewrite all the ones they used for the movies to beef up Wolverine's role)...but almost all of the big stories have a major role for Cyclops if not actually focusing on him (and often Jean). As to solo stories, for all of the Wolverine stories out there, most of them actually SUCK. The massive popularity of Wolverine in the movies has more to do with Jackman than the character himself...if they'd cast someone who actually looked the part, I highly doubt all the movies would have ended up centering around him.

There are A LOT of things that could have been done with Cyclops in the movies and I am far from the only one pissed about how the character got short changed.

BANNED

Why so greedy anyway?

Have not the "flagship" X-Men books been constantly about Cyclops for quite a lengthy bit of time?

Who cares if other characters get shine in movies every once in a while? Is Cyclops that great a character that the movies AND the books have to be all about him?

Also, it's not that surprising that the corporate people hedged their bets by focusing on the popular characters like Wolverine, Jean and Rogue.

Jean and Logan were fine, but where the execs and director really messed up were Rogue and Storm. Rogue was nothing like Rogue and Storm was...Halle Berry.
    Last edited by HeSoSlim; 09-10-2014 at 03:37 PM.

BANNED

Really? Where did you find these mysterious Cyclops fans who don't actually post on the Cyclops thread? The Jean-loving Cyclops fans I know want Jean to come back and run the JGS and/or the world without either Cyke or Wolverine. Not pretending that the relationship wasn't incredibly important and life-changing for both characters at the time when it was happening isn't the same as saying that therefore all Cyclops or Jean can ever do from now on is recycle their past dramas. Pretending it wasn't important to both of them is, IMO, as silly as pretending that it was the only thing going on in their lives when it was happening or that, because they will always have a profound and meaningful connection, they are therefore inevitably going to have to be a couple again. Personally, I think that Jean might have something more important and interesting to do with her time when she does come back from the dead than bang Wolverine or Cyke.

Astonishing Member

I actually think Cyclops was better and more unique before they started the "pretending to be hardcore and an anti-hero" thing with him.

I mean, even now he's still not really interesting at all, but classic Cyke at least had the noble hero thing going, which would make him stand out in today's fake-cynical Marvel.
    I wouldn't say the current take on him isn't interesting but I agree the traditional take is better.

As for Jean and Wolverine, their inner wild-sides and potential explosiveness just match up better. In discussions, it usually sounds like people dig Jean Grey/Scott out of nostalgia and also as a sort of booster for Cyclops, kinda like you said.
    I can see how some people actually like the love triangle but I but most of them like it as just that...a triangle...I can't think of a LESS interesting couple than Jean/Wolverine...and the wild sides you talk about don't even really come across in the movies (at least not Jean's)...unless you're talking about him appealing to her EVIL side...which is what we actually saw there. As for Scott/Jean, I'm sure there is a nostalgic aspect to the appeal but it's more like, when they're written properly, the complement each other and all the drama associated with them just makes for an epic love story...some Wolverine/Jean have never had...hell, it only ever even came up because a writer was pissed that he didn't get to give Scott & Jean a happy ending together so he decided to try and sabotage them...it was basically Claremont being a troll.

Why so greedy anyway?

Have not the "flagship" X-Men books been constantly about Cyclops for quite a lengthy bit of time?

Who cares if other characters get shine in movies every once in a while? Is Cyclops that great a character that the movies AND the books have to be all about him?

Also, it's not that surprising that the corporate people hedged their bets by focusing on the popular characters like Wolverine, Jean and Rogue.

Jean and Logan were fine, but where the execs and
    And now I'm greedy for wanting an iconic character to remain so as to stay true to the books I love.............

Unless Armor, or Quire, or some other 3rd class character is getting a push, Cyke deserves any attention he gets in the books, just as does Jean, Storm and even the ubiquitous Wolverine

Let us all remember what happens when Wolverine takes Jean, Earth X shows it very clearly.

Astonishing Member

Why so greedy anyway?

Jean and Logan were fine, but where the execs and director really messed up were Rogue and Storm. Rogue was nothing like Rogue and Storm was...Halle Berry.
    Really? You think Scott has been stealing the spotlight from Wolverine? All but one of the movies has been all about Wolverine...where's the focus on other characters? After all, "who cares if other characters get to shine in the movies once in a while?" And I don't think Wolverine has been hurting for appearances or spotlight in the comics either.

As for the execs hedging their bets by focusing on the popular characters, there ARE other popular characters than the ones you mention...Storm, Nightcrawler, Kitty Pryde, Gambit, and CYCLOPS, to name a few...and, of the ones you mentioned, they changed them so much for the movies they barely qualify as the same characters (even if Marvel did then try to make the comics line up more with the movies, at least initially).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    And now I'm greedy for wanting an iconic character to remain so as to stay true to the books I love.............

Unless Armor, or Quire, or some other 3rd class character is getting a push, Cyke deserves any attention he gets in the books, just as does Jean, Storm and even the ubiquitous Wolverine

Let us all remember what happens when Wolverine takes Jean, Earth X shows it very clearly.
    It's funny...I didn't care much for Earth X but it showed pretty exactly what I thought Jean/Wolverine as a couple would look like...boring, fat, and miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    It's funny...I didn't care much for Earth X but it showed pretty exactly what I thought Jean/Wolverine as a couple would look like...boring, fat, and miserable.
    Wolverine catches his prey, gets to rub it in Scotts face, then grows bored. Seems about right.

But I like how Jeen has no sense of attraction at all to Wolverine. Editorial followed my advice: *in Mean Girls voice* Stop trying to make Jean/Logan happen. It's not going to happen. (Out of that grossness called What if? AvX)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DakenGirl View Post
    Really? Where did you find these mysterious Cyclops fans who don't actually post on the Cyclops thread? The Jean-loving Cyclops fans I know want Jean to come back and run the JGS and/or the world without either Cyke or Wolverine. Not pretending that the relationship wasn't incredibly important and life-changing for both characters at the time when it was happening isn't the same as saying that therefore all Cyclops or Jean can ever do from now on is recycle their past dramas. Pretending it wasn't important to both of them is, IMO, as silly as pretending that it was the only thing going on in their lives when it was happening or that, because they will always have a profound and meaningful connection, they are therefore inevitably going to have to be a couple again. Personally, I think that Jean might have something more important and interesting to do with her time when she does come back from the dead than bang Wolverine or Cyke.
    Well, I would like her to end up back with Scott eventually...but certainly not for a while...she definitely needs to be on her own for a while...and I agree she should be running the school...but since I know all they would actually do with her are endless Phoenix retreads and more goofy love triangle crap, I'd just assume she stay gone.