Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Yeah, I had a girlfriend who worked right near Cabrini Green and I remember walking around near there, but that would've been in 2007, I believe. It was definitely a rough part of Chicago, notorious for gang violence back in the day.
    This reminds me of Batgirl's Summer of Lies arc where in a flashback Jim has to keep telling Babs "this isn't Chicago" to highlight just how bad Gotham is .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This reminds me of Batgirl's Summer of Lies arc where in a flashback Jim has to keep telling Babs "this isn't Chicago" to highlight just how bad Gotham is .
    Chicago doubled for Gotham in a lot of Begins and TDK, ironically. Also, Metropolis in MOS as I recall (and the surrounding suburbs were Smallville.) That's always kind of fun to see stuff like that, where you're like "Oh, I've been to that IHOP Superman just got thrown into."

I even remember liking that the 90s Hawkman series took place in Chicago. New York gets so many characters! So it's always fun to see your stomping grounds represented (even if it isn't always flattering.)

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Now that it is confirmed to end i hope Green Lantern War Journal has a good ending in #12
    X-Men Forever

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, wasn't her original thing that she was from Cabrini Green and there was a shooting? There was something very grounded and heavy about that backstory. Maybe its just because I'm from the area and have been to Cabrini Green (which I don't think is there anymore, admittedly), but I kind of liked that storyline for her.
    Like you said, Cabrini Green no longer exists, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they gave her a new origin with metahumans in loved instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yes, demolished in 2011 apparently.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrin...%93Green_Homes

A shooting, in Chicago.... Marvel's Ironheart has the same backstory, her best friend and her father were gunned down.
    It is something of a comic trope for African-American female super-heroes, isn't it? I believe that Microwaveabelle of Hero Hotline also lost her husband to gang violence.

On the Waller front, I like to think that hiring John Ridley to remix her origin is a tacit admission from DC that they've *really* screwed up the character, so they're bringing in a Heavy Hitter With Nigh-Unassailable Bona Fides to clean up the mess.

And who knows, maybe I'll be wrong. But I'll put down five bucks right now that Waller's new "why I hate all super-heroes" origin will have something to do with loved ones getting caught in the crossfire.

Incredible Member

I'm glad there's a Bat/Cat backup in here

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Like you said, Cabrini Green no longer exists, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they gave her a new origin with metahumans in loved instead.
    There's still plenty of places in Chicago that are plenty rough. I just feel like that origin feels more real and interesting, whereas making it something involving metahumans is so corny and on the nose.

There's still plenty of places in Chicago that are plenty rough. I just feel like that origin feels more real and interesting, whereas making it something involving metahumans is so corny and on the nose.
    "Corny and on the nose?" In the 2024 DCU? Surely you jest!

(I realize that I'm setting myself for a big ol' heaping plate of crow here if Mr. Ridley sticks to Waller's non-costumed-themed origins, but I'll be more than happy to be publicly wrong in this case)

I'll be curious to see if this origin will explain Waller going from a morally grey protagonist who didn't necessarily trust metas to outright villain, or if the retcon will depict her as always hating metahumans and wanting to wipe them out the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'll be curious to see if this origin will explain Waller going from a morally grey protagonist who didn't necessarily trust metas to outright villain, or if the retcon will depict her as always hating metahumans and wanting to wipe them out the entire time.
    Going by the recent Suicide Squad series it seems like what broke her was discovering Earth-3.

Amazing Member

The best case scenario for me, I think, would be something like Lady Cop's issues with superheroes in Danger Street, where because they weren't there when she needed their help she comes to hate them. Waller having this blanket distrust of superhumans is just very hard to square with her running the Suicide Squad for so long, voluntarily working with superheroes and unleashing so many metahumans who've proven themselves untrustworthy on the world. I know people liked the JLU version with similar motives, but there the Squad was Flag and three powerless criminals.

I'm trepidatious on this series, but I am trying to be optimistic. There's no way a miniseries focused on Waller will portray her as flatly as other Dawn of DC books have, even Dream Team has been doing better, and I read the first book of Ridley's Other History of the DCU the other day and thought it was excellent. It also had a family member of the protagonist die to street crime, which I guess just shows how pervasive that trope is with black comics characters (and black characters generally). Still, I hope Ridley gives the same sort of respect to the deaths of Waller's children and husband as he did there.

Probably just the Absolute Power JSA appearance book for me.

I am wondering if Absolute Power will lead to a JLA relaunch. Seems like we're about due.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I am wondering if Absolute Power will lead to a JLA relaunch. Seems like we're about due.
    They have to finish the current one first. So, probably around 2030.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    It is something of a comic trope for African-American female super-heroes, isn't it? I believe that Microwaveabelle of Hero Hotline also lost her husband to gang violence.

On the Waller front, I like to think that hiring John Ridley to remix her origin is a tacit admission from DC that they've *really* screwed up the character, so they're bringing in a Heavy Hitter With Nigh-Unassailable Bona Fides to clean up the mess.

And who knows, maybe I'll be wrong. But I'll put down five bucks right now that Waller's new "why I hate all super-heroes" origin will have something to do with loved ones getting caught in the crossfire.
    Fix the mess??? Like he did with Black Panther being told off by a LINE of black women, a snotnose punk, Namor and a beatdown by Cap America who told him to go back to Africa.

Yeah that is NOT going to end well-was Al Ewing THAT busy? He couldn't get this gig?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Fix the mess??? Like he did with Black Panther being told off by a LINE of black women, a snotnose punk, Namor and a beatdown by Cap America who told him to go back to Africa.

Yeah that is NOT going to end well-was Al Ewing THAT busy? He couldn't get this gig?
    I was thinking less of that John Ridley, and more of the one that wrote the reasonably-well-regarded Other History of the DCU. You know, the one that did an admirable job of trying to retroactively weld a dramatic arc to Mal Duncan's absolutely absurd published history.