Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

None that I can recall but Warlock's reaction to Cypher's death was sad.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Yeah. Especially Yorick's reaction. The death of animals can sometimes affect us more than the death of humans. As an example, I would cite We Three. (And it doesn't even have to be their death. Those "missing" posters in that comic tore me up.)
    I’ve avoided We Three like the plague for the reason you mentioned. I’ve read every issue of Crossed but seeing an animal suffer in any way just breaks me. I had to shut my eyes during the scenes showing Rocket’s childhood in the last Guardians movie.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dracula View Post
    I’ve avoided We Three like the plague for the reason you mentioned. I’ve read every issue of Crossed but seeing an animal suffer in any way just breaks me. I had to shut my eyes during the scenes showing Rocket’s childhood in the last Guardians movie.
    WE3...I read it once and I don't have the desire to read it again. Its a great piece, but too sad for me. But I would suggest you try it at least once, doesn't matter how hard it is.

I was really pissed when Erik Larsen killed off Horridous from Savage Dragon. My favorite character in SD and my favorite pet/animal character of all time. Such a sweet pet. And with Erik I know that she is not coming back, Image is not Marvel or DC, where you know that every character will come back.

That's the issue I am having with characters death at Marvel and DC. I the old times you could take them serious, like Gwen Stacy, Norman Osborn or whoever comes to mind, but today, not so much. Kamalas death was so pointless. Marvel even put out a mourning issue Death of MS Marvel. What a waste...you just knew it would take them thee month to resurrect her.

I was touched by Ampersand, too and Marko from Saga. Saga is not the same anymore. Its not just about Marko, but he was a tremendous character. Without him, and I wouldn't say its only because of his death, the books lacks something.

If the question's for all media, Mufasa and Bambi's mom. Classic.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

I was one of those lucky kids in the 80's who got to watch Optimus Prime die on the big screen. Watching him turn grey still gets me misty eyed.

Extraordinary Member

Supergirl in COIE. First time a comic book made me cry.

Also, Karate Kid in Legion of Super Heroes #4. He and Projectra were so happy together. He had always been one on my favorite Legionnaires.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I was one of those lucky kids in the 80's who got to watch Optimus Prime die on the big screen. Watching him turn grey still gets me misty eyed.
    Oh yes! I watched it on TV and was devastated. Transformers weren't the same for me after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Same here. Truly classic (IMHO):

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Supergirl in COIE. First time a comic book made me cry.

Also, Karate Kid in Legion of Super Heroes #4. He and Projectra were so happy together. He had always been one on my favorite Legionnaires.
    SG is another one where I was very young at the time. Not just her death but her words to Superman touched me more.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    SG is another one where I was very young at the time. Not just her death but her words to Superman touched me more.

Yes, the Supergirl really got me crying (though I was a little put out by the fact that she was dying, and yet it was all about Superman... Don't get me wrong, I like Clark... but really?!?).

Still, at least people knew she died. When the Flash (Barry) died in the very next issue, no one knew what he had done (except Psycho Pirate)... That really got me... Ugly cry... Snot everywhere...

Much as there was major screw-ups after COIE in terms of how things were/were not rebooted, for the 12 months it came out, every one was a heart stopper... But those two issues in the middle of the series really tore at the heartstrings...

Quote Originally Posted by Marilee View Post
    Much as there was major screw-ups after COIE in terms of how things were/were not rebooted, for the 12 months it came out, every one was a heart stopper... But those two issues in the middle of the series really tore at the heartstrings...
    So true. COIE at the time was huge and a month to month experience. Reading it as it came out was a completely different experience than first encountering it as a trade years later.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    So true. COIE at the time was huge and a month to month experience. Reading it as it came out was a completely different experience than first encountering it as a trade years later.
    Yes, there's a big difference between month-to-month reading and reading as a trade. I know trades are the big thing now, but in talking to younger people reading the same stories in trade that I read years before month-to-month, there's just a difference in perception at times. I think there's something about the anticipation of not knowing what's going to happen for a month (and in certain stories, being on "pins-and-needles" for that whole month) and getting to read the whole story in one go that changes the emotional responses to a story (and while it might come off this way, I'm actually not trying to indicate that one method of reading is better than the other, just different, with different emotional responses as a result).

To get back on topic, a couple of other deaths, than while not the "ugly-cry" ones that the COIE deaths caused that did affect me was the Batwoman's (Kathy Kane, not Kate Kane) one (which was kind of wierd, as it happened off panel, but I've always had the image in my head of the late great Don Newton's illustration of her clutching her Batwoman costume as she died and it stuck with me - of course, I just always loved Don Newton's art, so that might be part of it), and as mentioned above, Karate Kid, but also then what Projectra did to Nemesis Kid (his murderer) afterwards... Do not tick that woman off.How

However, there have been a few that frankly, just kind of grossed me out (Phantom Lady by Deathstroke, anyone that Superboy Prime mutilated). Just seemed a bit gratutious... But that's just me.

Yes, there's a big difference between month-to-month reading and reading as a trade. I know trades are the big thing now, but in talking to younger people reading the same stories in trade that I read years before month-to-month, there's just a difference in perception at times. I think there's something about the anticipation of not knowing what's going to happen for a month (and in certain stories, being on "pins-and-needles" for that whole month) and getting to read the whole story in one go that changes the emotional responses to a story (and while it might come off this way, I'm actually not trying to indicate that one method of reading is better than the other, just different, with different emotional responses as a result).

To get back on topic, a couple of other deaths, than while not the "ugly-cry" ones that the COIE deaths caused that did affect me was the Batwoman's (Kathy Kane, not Kate Kane) one (which was kind of wierd, as it happened off panel, but I've always had the image in my head of the late great Don Newton's illustration of her clutching her Batwoman costume as she died and it stuck with me - of course, I just always loved Don Newton's art, so that might be part of it), and as mentioned above, Karate Kid, but also then what Projectra did to Nemesis Kid (his murderer) afterwards... Do not tick that woman off.How

However, there have been a few that frankly, just kind of grossed me out (Phantom Lady by Deathstroke, anyone that Superboy Prime mutilated). Just seemed a bit gratutious... But that's just me.
    I’ve encountered a lot of the same sentiments with younger people regarding Watchmen. They aren’t impressed.
    I’m certain some of it is just them shitting on things that others like, which in their minds gives them some sort of power, but I think it’s mostly about them coming to the comics community and hearing about it as opposed to discovering and recognizing it’s uniqueness and quality for themselves.
    At the time CoIE and Watchmen came out they were different and groundbreaking compared to everything else of the period and imo that’s lost on people who can’t experience them in that context.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 04-23-2024 at 05:02 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Yes, the Supergirl really got me crying (though I was a little put out by the fact that she was dying, and yet it was all about Superman... Don't get me wrong, I like Clark... but really?!?).

Still, at least people knew she died. When the Flash (Barry) died in the very next issue, no one knew what he had done (except Psycho Pirate)... That really got me... Ugly cry... Snot everywhere...

We'll we will have to agree to disagree. I found the love shown between her and Clark very touching. As well as her sacrifice. How should it have went to make it more about Kara and less about Clark?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    We'll we will have to agree to disagree. I found the love shown between her and Clark very touching. As well as her sacrifice. How should it have went to make it more about Kara and less about Clark?
    I don't know... Do we see Clark saying how proud he is of Kara, how brave she was, and how much he loves her and will miss her... No, we see her going on about how she loves him and how he's so important to the world and how he taught her how to be brave and how good he is. All he says after he tells her to stay is that she did manage to destroy the machines.

I'm not saying that there wasn't a feeling of love and such between the two of them. He's obviously upset and all. I just would have thought that since *she's the one that's dying*, there could be more about her as opposed to him. But that's just me.