Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Does it count if it is a power up from an outside source. Mine is a bit off the wall. Give the never ending ball of Ariadne's Thread from the old Minotaur myth to Stitch. She can connect it to a needle and then use her powers to do things like tie up enemies, stitch wounds, using two "pillars" (columns, trees, sign posts pratically any objects) and wrapping it between the pillars create a wall of fabric to act as a shield. Hell even have her use thread to form words similar to Aritie's pics back in the day. I feel she never really got a chance.

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Cyclops with omega beams

Can Gambit control the extent to which he charges something? If not than I'd give him that... I was thinking the explosion he created out of that Godzilla sentinel should've obliterated the entire island and everyone on it.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Hell, yeah! Definitely, something we can agree on...

This without the Nomura-level zipper fetish please.

Quote Originally Posted by The Regent View Post
    Can Gambit control the extent to which he charges something? If not than I'd give him that... I was thinking the explosion he created out of that Godzilla sentinel should've obliterated the entire island and everyone on it.
    Yep, He can control that and even delay the explosion as long as he needs to.

Flashback family - remove the thing about if a temporal dupe gets killed it means they will die in the future.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Miss Mass - just make her a mutant. No origin.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Cyclops: Give his powers two settings: off and FULL POWER OPTIC BLAST!!!! He'd still need the visor for precision control over his optic blasts, and would probably still wear the ruby quartz shades just to be safe, but he wouldn't be totally handicapped without them. If Havok and Rogue have control of their powers, it's time Cyke did, too.
    This is perfect actually. The main reason they keep Cyclops unable to control his powers is because the visor is so important to his visual identity, but giving him the ability to turn off his powers but when it shoots is with full force is the perfect solution for why he would continue to need his visor when on missions.

I'd rather power some down. So many of them have seen huge boosts in power levels since the 80s and 90s, which IMO doesn't improve them as characters, rather it makes them more one-note and bland. Just my opinion, of course. But I've never liked over-powered characters like Superman or Captain Marvel. I like the more grounded, gritty stuff.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I'd rather power some down. So many of them have seen huge boosts in power levels since the 80s and 90s, which IMO doesn't improve them as characters, rather it makes them more one-note and bland. Just my opinion, of course. But I've never liked over-powered characters like Superman or Captain Marvel. I like the more grounded, gritty stuff.
    It also unintentionaly encourages a sort of arms race between the writers trying to overshadow each other, in particular their predecessors, with feats and moments they can give their characters.

All in order to have their stories and character moments stand out and either overshadow the previous example or at least be recognized as equal to them and therefor worthy of being re-read and referenced in the future.

Which wouldn't be as much of a problem if these writers weren't working with characters and a continuity that had been in perpetual use for 60+ years.

A natural development of many action and adventure heavy stories is that once impressive "one of a kind" feats tend to become "standard" or "mundane" for a character or group, because they allready did or survived it once.

Even if the writer limits them to only being possible once thanks to great sacrifices, rare circumstances or using tools that are used up in the process, they or their successors are still burdened to create a similar or more impressive feats afterwards in order to still impress their reader/viewership.

For a while this can also be circumvented by creating "side grade" kind of situation, which have similar levels of being remarkable without outclassing or overshadowing the previous, but at some point there will be an unavoidable level of saturation and diminishing returns as result.

Basicly the characters become too powerfull, capable and/or experienced for the same kind of situation or enemies to still feel like they should be a problem for them.

In most media this is usualy where the stories are concluded, if not for the franchise then at least the current generation of heros.

Maybe they will get pulled out for yet another adventure for a special volume, mini series or movie, but their defacto journey are over.

This gives the writers the freedom to have technologies or knowledge decline or at least use characters who did not yet have the same kind of experience and mental fortitude that the previous/originals had.

Hence being able to repeat the heros journey with a cleaner slate.

But Marvel comics continuity does not allow it.
    Not only is the story never allowed to end or conclude (likely because it miraculously worked for so long, nobody is willing to risk stopping it for fear of not being able to get it going again) but the heros are also not allowed to age or retire (because their readers have become fixated on them alone). Instead passage of time is stretched out to ridiculous degrees to pat out the stories and world.

This in turn has created the odd situation where many of the best remembered and impressive feats of the popular Marvel super heros have not only occured 30 or more years ago, but are technically much less impressive or grand than some of the things they have done over the past 30 years.

What makes this worse is that this problem also extends to the villains. The writers can only introduce more powerfull, capable and established villains, which had never been seen or heared from before, so many times until it becomes jarring. Unless there is enough passage of time, where they could have established themself in the backround.

But on the other hand if new and unproven villains will have to go up against proven and experienced heros, then a victory over said heros will feel unearned. Meanwhile if they lose, people will quickly dismiss them. A damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Which explains why so few new villains over the past 20 years have managed to stay around or be regarded as valid enemies. Arguably including Orchis currently.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-21-2024 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilargi View Post
    Yep, He can control that and even delay the explosion as long as he needs to.
    That's cool didn't know that thanks!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Maybe they could expand on what Wind Dancer can do with her power.
    • She can carry sound from far away to let her eavesdrop. What if we go the other way and let her send sounds far away/muffle them? She can move silently or stop sound-based attacks.
    • She could compress air underneath her feet and use them to "launch" herself, making her move much faster. Like rocket boosters.
    • Secondary mutation: Her main power is actually to control oxygen, and her new mutation allows her to control other gasses. She can change chemical compositions in the air, allowing her to create knock-out gas.
    Windshear, so much Windshear. Sophia WISHES, even if I loved her character.

Polaris: She all powerful already - just slap on the designation "Omega" and call it a day.

Eye-Scream was able to turn himself into any flavor of ice-cream possible, but now... now he can also make hot fudge or strawberry topping AND waffle cones!

Truly he is now OMEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It also unintentionaly encourages a sort of arms race between the writers trying to overshadow each other, in particular their predecessors, with feats and moments they can give their characters.

All in order to have their stories and character moments stand out and either overshadow the previous example or at least be recognized as equal to them and therefor worthy of being re-read and referenced in the future.

Which wouldn't be as much of a problem if these writers weren't working with characters and a continuity that had been in perpetual use for 60+ years.

A natural development of many action and adventure heavy stories is that once impressive "one of a kind" feats tend to become "standard" or "mundane" for a character or group, because they allready did or survived it once.

Even if the writer limits them to only being possible once thanks to great sacrifices, rare circumstances or using tools that are used up in the process, they or their successors are still burdened to create a similar or more impressive feats afterwards in order to still impress their reader/viewership.

For a while this can also be circumvented by creating "side grade" kind of situation, which have similar levels of being remarkable without outclassing or overshadowing the previous, but at some point there will be an unavoidable level of saturation and diminishing returns as result.
    Yeah this is why I like power specialization. Omni-competent characters shouldn't be a thing.