Spectacular Member

Default So how many months till the Russo Brothers are confirmed back to direct the MCU?

Its pretty clear that the Russo Brothers are literally born to direct MCU films. They just get comics. They made the 4 best, funnest and highest grossing MCU films…

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    Captain America: Civil War (2016)
    Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
    Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Their MCU films are all S tier but everything else they’ve made so far has been mediocre at best (save for the episodes of Community they directed which are also S tier, but as far as movies go, nothing synced for them like the MCU).

Its also clear that Disney needs them back. Its actually very hard to direct a fantastic comic book film. Its rare to make one, much less four bangers in a row.

If there is anyone that can bring afloat the sinking ship that is the post Endgame MCU, its the Russos.

So that they will be back to the MCU is an inevitability. The question is just how long it will take for the announcement to happen.

My wager is on under 9 months but I wouldnt be surprised it happens as soon as this July at Comic con. Who wants to take the over/under on 9 months?
    Last edited by Wikoogle; 04-21-2024 at 03:00 PM.

Fantastic Member

It's going to be a couple years not months. Remember Disney grabbed them up when they were TV guys now they have an opportunity to make real money with their own projects that will give them residuals. They could come back to Disney but Disney is cheap and operates it's own streaming service. So if they want them they'll have to pay for them and Disney doesn't have a great track record with doing that.

It's mutually beneficial, but Nods has a good point that they can make a lot of money elsewhere.

There is also a risk that it would be bad for their reputations if they come back to Marvel, and it flops.
    Captain Marvel was a hit. The Marvels was not.

The main precedent for this would be Bryan Singer returning for X-Men: Days of Future Past. There's also JJ Abrams for Rise of Skywalker.

The Russo brothers don't seem to have anything lined up after The Electric State, a Netflix film. I wouldn't be surprised if an announcement occurs around the time that's released, which may coincide with July for San Diego Comic-Con or October for New York Comic Con.

I think Marvel's saving major announcements for a big splash like when they announced all the Phase 4 projects and casting- even if it didn't quite work out.

Right now, the confirmed films are Deadpool & Wolverine this year and Thunderbolts/ Captain America: New World Order/ Fantastic Four/ Blade next year, so I think Marvel's going to make some big announcements about their plans for films coming out in two years time. What's going on with the MCU X-Men? Who will play Doctor Doom? Is Shang Chi 2 still on? Can they find an actor who hasn't been convicted of domestic violence to play Kang? Who is going to be in Spider-Man 4?

The obvious films for the Russo brothers would be Avengers 5 & 6, especially when Destin Daniel Cretton dropping out. They did make a movie with Tom Holland, so Spider-Man 4 would be a movie that doesn't seem like a demotion.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wikoogle View Post
    Its pretty clear that the Russo Brothers are literally born to direct MCU films. They just get comics. They made the 4 best, funnest and highest grossing MCU films…

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    Captain America: Civil War (2016)
    Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
    Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Their MCU films are all S tier but everything else they’ve made so far has been mediocre at best (save for the episodes of Community they directed which are also S tier, but as far as movies go, nothing synced for them like the MCU).

Its also clear that Disney needs them back. Its actually very hard to direct a fantastic comic book film. Its rare to make one, much less four bangers in a row.

If there is anyone that can bring afloat the sinking ship that is the post Endgame MCU, its the Russos.

So that they will be back to the MCU is an inevitability. The question is just how long it will take for the announcement to happen.

My wager is on under 9 months but I wouldnt be surprised it happens as soon as this July at Comic con. Who wants to take the over/under on 9 months?
    It wasn't just them; they had the same writing team for their best movies. But they're likely not coming back.

The movies they directed represented an arc for Iron Man and Captain America. With those two characters out of the picture, a new movie by the Russo's would not make sense to me. Unless it were to tell some untold story of that era or to start a new arc, with multiple films again - which I doubt the Russo's would do.

Why would they come back anyway? The MCU is not the same anymore, its no longer a coherent single story arc but a bunch of one-offs.

More looking forward to the prospect of Sam Raimi doing more Marvel stuff any way. He excels when given his own little corner to fool around in, and he's got that with Dr. Strange.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Wasn't their idea to do Secret Wars?