Default X-Men Unlimited #136 - Fall of X #16 - Review/Spoilers

We open in Nova Roma as Shatterstar teleports into the forest surrounding the city. He apologizes as that is as close as he can get the team.

"... Selene has made quite the psychic dead zone of Nova Roma's perimeter." Betsy continues saying Selene's defenses make it challenging for her to contact X-Corps island as well. Dani says Nova Roma citizens have suffered far too much as she reminds everyone (and you the reader) about the cruelty unleashed on them by Barrington (in New Mutants 8-12.) She says it's unthinkable that Selene would corrupt the city again and that this is Selene's final act. They need to make sure of that.

As they work their way through the forest Rictor says he's surprised that Magma is sitting this one out. Dani says Magma's has her part to play after they play theirs. Thunderbird is lifting trees and what not out of the way, getting antsy for a fight. A red bird flies overhead and then in front of them. Shatterstar stops Thunderbird, telling him to look at the bird. It flies into a forcefield which is invisible to the team. Thankfully the bird is visible so seeing it hit the forcefield and fall to the ground just did them a favor. Dani uses her empathic connection abilities to determine that the bird is thankfully just dazed, not dead, and that the forcefield is not a typical field. Betsy says it's magic, noting there's a lot of powers at play here: Selene's psychic firewall and witchcraft, Saul's sorcery, and whatever they're doing to Tempo to bend time for their rite of ascension.

The bird flies away and thanks to Dani touching the bird's mind Betsy is able to help them all psychically "see" the barrier.

I love him. Turns out the whole dang city is covered by the forcefield. Thunderbird wants to start beating the forcefield until they get inside. Rictor says he can't punch away magic but Thunderbird says if you hit a magnet hard enough, it ain't magnetic anymore. Shatterstar is about to attempt a teleport into the forcefield when suddenly an opening appears seemingly on its own. They know better though and Dani tells them everyone to guard up and brace themselves. Turns out she was right.

Rictor successfully blocks the fire blast but the team fall off the pillar he erected. As the team shakes it off bone pieces fire at them, one slicing Dani's shoulder. Absalom and Nicodemus appear ready to throw down. They talk smack back and forth with X-Corps until a darkened figure approaches. Speaking to Absalom and Nicodemus he says, "Patience, my youthful associates. We're in this together..."
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Oh snap.

I can't wait for Magma! She's so underrated.

Cannot wait to see what they're planning for Magma.
    Is Saul's power to transform into a dragon ??

I'll admit while I like the art in general, I didn't quite understand what happened when Rictor "blocked" "Nico"'s attack.

This one felt shorter for some reason but once again that STEVES are good a balancing and spotlight all the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post

I'll admit while I like the art in general, I didn't quite understand what happened when Rictor "blocked" "Nico"'s attack.
    I guess he kinda like put up a wall of vibration to redirect the flames but the earthquakey waves knocked everyone off his plateau. Something like that?

Man, I will really miss this series when it's over. Part of me wishes that the upcoming X-factor is a continuation of this X-Corps, but I am almost positive that Brevoort is not bringing any teams or creators from the Krakoa era into FtA.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    Man, I will really miss this series when it's over. Part of me wishes that the upcoming X-factor is a continuation of this X-Corps, but I am almost positive that Brevoort is not bringing any teams or creators from the Krakoa era into FtA.
    I'm going to miss it a lot too. I'm excited for Jimmy to return as I bet he's going to come charging in at the right moment to save someone (or everyone.)

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I'm going to miss it a lot too. I'm excited for Jimmy to return as I bet he's going to come charging in at the right moment to save someone (or everyone.)
    Yeah, me too. I am going to enjoy this ride for as long as I can. Luckily I have X-Force to look forward to.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Saul's a potential BEAST, power-wise, (pun absolutely intended) who we've never really gotten to see go all out because of how little he's been used. He's transformed into a dragon before, but its just one of many 'tricks' he can do with his power, rather than his power itself. The reigning theory, seemingly confirmed by how Cerebra described him and Absalom when they were first shown imprisoned earlier in this arc, is that Saul's power is that he's kind of like an elementalist with an innate mental control over an element much like Nicodemus and fire or Wind Dancer and air, etc, but his mutant power treats magical energies like an element he can manipulate directly.

Magma and Sunspot coming in with the rest of the crew would be fire!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Saul's a potential BEAST, power-wise, (pun absolutely intended) who we've never really gotten to see go all out because of how little he's been used. He's transformed into a dragon before, but its just one of many 'tricks' he can do with his power, rather than his power itself. The reigning theory, seemingly confirmed by how Cerebra described him and Absalom when they were first shown imprisoned earlier in this arc, is that Saul's power is that he's kind of like an elementalist with an innate mental control over an element much like Nicodemus and fire or Wind Dancer and air, etc, but his mutant power treats magical energies like an element he can manipulate directly.
    Ah thanks for the explanation.

Foxe mentioned in his most recent newsletter that this story would span 25 chapters, while it was originally announced as 20 parts. I wonder if it was extended or if he simply made a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Foxe mentioned in his most recent newsletter that this story would span 25 chapters, while it was originally announced as 20 parts. I wonder if it was extended or if he simply made a mistake.
    Oh that's interesting. I think it was Sevy who said on X that the Arakkii story that preceded this story is considered a prologue. But that still would be 23 parts.