Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Man, it's good to look forward to a Spider-Man book every month. I wish it'd go quicker.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The writing for this comic is so good. Just a whole issue of Peter, MJ, Harry, and Gwen talking to each other (with some bits with Jonah and Ben and the kids) and its riveting stuff.
    I always felt this is what a Spider-Man comic book would, about Peter's life first and then what is else happening in Spider-Man's.

As someone mention before, I too would read about a slice of life book, just about Peter and MJ. Also a surprise and interesting career path for Mary-Jane, than again she always a fixer.

Fantastic Member

In my view, the biggest sign that endearing characters and top tier writing is key and still matters in Spider-Man comics is that i actually shudder a bit at all the red(death?)-flags and ominous exchanges we've had up until now. This feeling of dread and ''calm before the storm'' that hovers all these characters makes me irl worried for them in a way i haven't felt towards 616 in a long time, in where i just expect some janky concepts to happen for no reason and get reset after a while. Nowhere is this feeling more present than with MJ, i'ts been so long(since spencers') since i've enjoyed reading her that i actually fear for anything bad happening to her and her realtionship/family with Peter in this book. lol

Amazing Member

I hope this Harry doesnt follow the same path as his 616 counterpart. Love this comic so much.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ryu77 View Post
    I hope this Harry doesnt follow the same path as his 616 counterpart. Love this comic so much.
    Imagine Ultimate Kindred

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Imagine Ultimate Kindred
    Oh my God. Ultimate Norman Osborn AI his first strike will be sending a robot Aunt May to terrorize Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    Oh my God. Ultimate Norman Osborn AI his first strike will be sending a robot Aunt May to terrorize Peter
    Nick Lowe and Zeb Wells want you to join the ASM creative team (?)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    Nick Lowe and Zeb Wells want you to join the ASM creative team (?)
    And they haven't even heard my pitch for Ultimate Aunt May being alive on another planet with Ultimate Paul!!

I think he either bites it to cement how serious this is for Peter and put him the role as the guy who says the line and dies...or he starts going overboard and the fact that he's the one who used the line on Peter becomes ironic and Peter is the one who has to really embody the ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    CEO Gwen is interesting, but I can just not shake the feeling, "That's supposed to be Liz."
    I think Liz and Gwen come with different baggage, and Gwen's baggage may be easier to work with.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Fantastic Member

I do wonder if maybe we got some seeds of jealousy from Harry of Pete's super powers. I could see Harry trying to give himself powers out of an interiority complex and it going wrong.

However, I would generally prefer the obvious stuff like someone dying to teach Peter a lesson or Harry going bad. It's all in the execution but at face value that seems terribly boring and a squandering of the potential of a new universe.

Another phenomenal issue.

The best praise I can give Ultimate Spider-Man is that literally 50% of it thus far doesn't even have any action in it, just strong character writing and world building, and that the writing is so riveting and purpose-driven that it's as good as any fight scene and stays in your mind long after you finish the book.

It's great to see these fresh and unique takes on Gwen and Harry, and how the Parkers enter their orbit. There's this bizarre and wonderful balance of warmth and tension, like the best parts of a Tarantino movie, as the dialogue plays with who knows what, who wants what, and who will act on it. You can feel the stage being built, the path being set, and events being set into motion that now can't be stopped.

This is why I love comics, and it's going to make the wait for the next issue another arduous task. My roses to the whole crew behind this book. If they can maintain this quality, it's going to be talked about and treasured decades from now.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

This is so freaking good.

But, I just want to point out one thing.

Peter is looking fine as hell in that all black suit. Like damn.

....wait....that's not THE suit is it?? We already know it can change appearance and all...

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Another phenomenal issue.

The best praise I can give Ultimate Spider-Man is that literally 50% of it thus far doesn't even have any action in it, just strong character writing and world building, and that the writing is so riveting and purpose-driven that it's as good as any fight scene and stays in your mind long after you finish the book.

It's great to see these fresh and unique takes on Gwen and Harry, and how the Parkers enter their orbit. There's this bizarre and wonderful balance of warmth and tension, like the best parts of a Tarantino movie, as the dialogue plays with who knows what, who wants what, and who will act on it. You can feel the stage being built, the path being set, and events being set into motion that now can't be stopped.

This is why I love comics, and it's going to make the wait for the next issue another arduous task. My roses to the whole crew behind this book. If they can maintain this quality, it's going to be talked about and treasured decades from now.
    Honestly I'm starting to think the weakest part of the book is anything involving Spider-Man or Superheroics especially compared to the writing of the families, world-building, the Ben/Jonah stuff, or the character interaction. Especially when Spider-Man altogether hasn't done that much in four issues other than fight two villains (and only one he barely beat).

I wouldn't say it's wholly unique Gwen just because it feels like they're fusing her and Liz together, but this is Gwen Stacy so it's not surprising .

The Spider-man stuff has felt like Spider-man stuff, if Spider-man were just a beginner dealing with villains who've been doing this stuff their whole lives.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi