Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Ultimate Spider-Man #4 talk.

Ultimate Spider-Man is 4/4. Glad there's an alternative to The Amazing Spider-Man by Zeb Wells which is terrible.

spoilers:
    I like how the book surprises you. Aunt May is dead and Uncle Ben is alive. Harry Osborn is with Gwen Stacy and I didn't expect Hardy Osborn to drop THE Spider-Man line. It was interesting seeing Peter Parker and Harry Osborn together having found out their alter egos in the last issue. Might we see Gwen Stacy become the Green Goblin? Be ironic that. Jonathan Hickman would make it work. I did miss Marco Checcetto's art though I liked David Messina's
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

It's 01:10pm UK time where I'm from.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 04-24-2024 at 05:10 AM.

Fantastic Member

What a fantastic book. The final page made me smile. Hopefully Hickman isn't setting us up for a tragedy with MJ. I like to believe he's not but this is Marvel Comics.

It was great to finally get more MJ. I hope her presence in the book continues to expand. I really like how her career path is being positioned to weave her into the three main narrative threads going on.

Hickman has such a great grasp on making the characters feel lived in and human. This is my favorite book on the shelves.

spoilers:
    Very much a character piece for MJ (and also we get a bit more characterization for Richard). She was a model but moved out of that into PR and now runs her own company. She’s helping Ben and Jameson get their news org up. Meanwhile Gwen is likewise basically running Oscorp and also she knows what Harry is doing as the Green Goblin. I loved that Harry is the one who drops the iconic line to Peter, the slow burn as we head towards the inevitable fallout between Peter and Harry has me hooked!
    end of spoilers
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    What a fantastic book. The final page made me smile. Hopefully Hickman isn't setting us up for a tragedy with MJ. I like to believe he's not but this is Marvel Comics.

It was great to finally get more MJ. I hope her presence in the book continues to expand. I really like how her career path is being positioned to weave her into the three main narrative threads going on.

Hickman has such a great grasp on making the characters feel lived in and human. This is my favorite book on the shelves.
    I doubt it. MJ is an integral part of this comic and removing her will remove one of the key factors why people buy it.

I think Hickman stepped it up with MJ in this issue. It's not my favorite but that I'm happy to file that away to my own opinion. With this issue he lays down here personality and much of her history.

I liked how he made Peter look like a coward for not telling MJ. Whatever way Hickman wants to steer Harry's journey and the implications of him sharing his secret with Gwen, it still stands that Peter is a fool for thinking that by keeping up the charade he is protecting them. I hope Peter tells her soon. It will only enrichen the series.

It's a shame that Messina gets to draw this issue when Checchetto draws a sublime MJ. I found the shape of her jaw out of balance, it even bothered me a bit. Still very much a luxury problem.

Overall I like the way Peter is presented like a good man who is over his head and haven't gotten out of the honeymoon phase yet, still oblivious to the problems he is beginning to tackle.

I loved the writing in this issue and look forward to where Hickman's going with Harry and Gwen, MJ's work, and "The Paper." That said, Messina's art was weak during the dinner scene. Somewhat is off about the way he drew them eating. A minor nitpick, though I can't wait for Chechetto to return.

CEO Gwen is interesting, but I can just not shake the feeling, "That's supposed to be Liz."
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    I loved the writing in this issue and look forward to where Hickman's going with Harry and Gwen, MJ's work, and "The Paper." That said, Messina's art was weak during the dinner scene. Somewhat is off about the way he drew them eating. A minor nitpick, though I can't wait for Chechetto to return.
    It seems Greg Land isn't the only artist who traces from "certain" sources.

(shameless copy from my post in the USM thread)

The art sure was something, huh? The expressions were something else for sure !

On a semi-related note, I really liked the warm colors in this issue ! As much as I liked the previous issues art/color combination, it felt too "cold", for lack of a better way to phrase it.
    All in all, fantastic issue as always !

spoilers:
    Oh boy! I dont know what to feel about Harry saying that, instead of Ben. But on the context of the book, I think it fits just fine? Howeeeever, does anyone see Death Flags all around Harry now, or is it just me? D: Hopefully it's just me overthinking things.

Also, I love the girl-boss portrayal of Gwen here ! And MJ looked SUBLIME as well !

Finally, that last page was so sweet ! firmly believe she will 1000% support Peter once she inevitably learns his secret, I have zero doubts about it ! #InHickmanWeTrust
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I was expecting we'd jump straight into Peter and Harry's conversation but I guess since this book jumps months in real time that it'd be better we settle that with a double date with the Parkers and Osborns.

David Messina filling in for Chechetto but his characters are still hot, especially MJ all dressed up.

So MJ runs a PR Firm. Honestly that just reminds me of when she was Iron Man's personal assistant. Curious what she'll get up to with getting involved with Gwen and Ben.

Ultimate Gwen is interesting. She feels more like Liz, but she has that kind of pure idealism people associate with 616 Gwen, though I wonder exactly what is motivating her.

So I guess Peter never felt like he was all that good as a newspaper photographer? It's so weird for me that's still his job here. Also he hasn't really been called Spider-Man yet.

Also he hasn't really fought that much crime yet so not sure if I'd say he's all that good at it yet.

"The Paper" - I would've rather they brought back the Frontline. Actually, where is Ben Urich?

Ha! May doesn't like Jonah. And Ben appreciates his grandson being a bookworm.

I knew he hadn't told MJ. The fact that Harry and Gwen are mutually involved...this is going to come back and bite Peter.

I never in my life expected Harry Osborn, usually the most professional Spider-Man hater of all time that's not Jameson, to give the Power and Responsibility speech. Though I guess it does frame the differing perspective that Harry has been committed to this crusade, despite not having powers, while Peter is just dipping his toes into it even if it feels instinctively like the right thing to do.
    end of spoilers

The writing for this comic is so good. Just a whole issue of Peter, MJ, Harry, and Gwen talking to each other (with some bits with Jonah and Ben and the kids) and its riveting stuff.

Fantastic Member

I guess I’m in the minority, but I liked the art quite a lot still. Will be perfectly happy if Messina and Checchetto are trading art duties back and forth the whole time. Lovely issue. Felt like we got a chance to really check in with MJ as a character for the first time, which I liked. Working in PR makes a lot of sense for her as a career. Feels very fitting. Could maybe even get her involved with the larger “against the Maker” narrative in the future? Maybe she has to help the heroes salvage their reputation with normal people after they were blamed for the big terror attack or something like that. Gwen and Harry are great takes on the characters so far. Can’t wait to read more

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post

I loved this book and that last page too. The only missed opportunity for that closing would have been the manhole cover as a Spidey mask a la Ditko.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    I guess I’m in the minority, but I liked the art quite a lot still. Will be perfectly happy if Messina and Checchetto are trading art duties back and forth the whole time. Lovely issue. Felt like we got a chance to really check in with MJ as a character for the first time, which I liked. Working in PR makes a lot of sense for her as a career. Feels very fitting. Could maybe even get her involved with the larger “against the Maker” narrative in the future? Maybe she has to help the heroes salvage their reputation with normal people after they were blamed for the big terror attack or something like that. Gwen and Harry are great takes on the characters so far. Can’t wait to read more
    I didn't have much issue with the art. But I generally prefer to have a consistent artist versus a rotating team, but that doesn't seem possible in modern comics. In some scenes the faces were a bit odd and Checchetto draws MJ's hair so well that she looked a bit off this time.

Oh my god, Peter, you can't just ask someone why they don't have kids!
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.