Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

You keep Psylocke the same character from the comics and just make her half Japanese, it brings in more diversity and avoids racial appropriation that the Siege Perilous story created in the first place.
    Psylocke never appropriated a race. The race appropriated Psylocke. She was abducted against her will, brainwashed, and turned into something else.

I prefer the Psylocke we met in TAS to be Kwannon and Betsy be a separate character.

It doesn't make much sense for Betsy to be a thief anyway, though she does mention a brother who fights for mutants, the Braddocks are rich and wouldn't need to do so.

Also no British accent either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Psylocke never appropriated a race. The race appropriated Psylocke. She was abducted against her will, brainwashed, and turned into something else.

It's still not good look, just having a white British woman taking over a Japanese woman's body is just creepy.

I think the Siege Perilous is stupid in general, but what it did Psylocke as a character has aged poorly.

It does put Betsy in a tricky spot, considering most people's experience with Psylocke on screen is the 90s version of the character, which fits Kwannon more than Betsy at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I'm fine with both flying about tbh. Avengers and JL usually have more than one flying brick on the roster at a time, so I feel like it's common enough.
    I dont even expecting him to be a flying brick. He just got his powers and if they follow how it worked in the original comics, his strength was limited to how uch solar energy he absorbed. I dont expect him to be anywhere near as strong as Rogue is on a regular basis

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Okay, but then the other option is to say the Psylocke we met in TAS season 4 was Kwannon and we have never met Betsy before.

Really anything is better than this Siege Perilous nonsense, where Betsy comes off as a villain from the movie "Get Out".

Not much is known about animated Psylocke, so you can go in any direction that is not Siege Perilous nonsense.

But is there enough room for Kwannon and Betsy, considering the amount of characters they are balancing now?
    I dont see the problem with htat. Betsy can be introduced in her original form. In 2024 we really dont need them to be some weird amalgam of each other

Honestly I'd be kind of surprised if they would go to the trouble of doing both Betsy and Kwannon instead of just Psylocke as a single character.

It's still not good look, just having a white British woman taking over a Japanese woman's body is just creepy.
    You talk like she did this by choice.

And sure, it's creepy.

It's also creepy that a suicidal amputee was turned into a metal winged angle of death by a mad Darwinist.
    It's creepy that a man was kidnapped by his own government, brainwashed, and turned into a living weapon.

What's wrong with a little creepy now and then?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont see the problem with htat. Betsy can be introduced in her original form. In 2024 we really dont need them to be some weird amalgam of each other
    Also... people keep forgetting that Psylocke was first seen in a HAND ninja-suit! The ninja-suit is never seen again after it gets ripped off while she's fighting Archangel.... but... she was wearing it!

Warren even calls her a "ninja"!!!

Wait... WHAT!?!?!? Warren describes her as "raven-haired"???? That makes me think maybe the purple hair is actually a production error.

Incredible Member

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    You talk like she did this by choice.

And sure, it's creepy.

It's also creepy that a suicidal amputee was turned into a metal winged angle of death by a mad Darwinist.
    It's creepy that a man was kidnapped by his own government, brainwashed, and turned into a living weapon.

What's wrong with a little creepy now and then?
    I am not blaming the character, I am blaming the writers. I think having a white woman's mind in an Asian woman's body has way more unfortunate implications than what happened with Wolverine and Angel. I think this can go to creepy to kinda offensive and gross. I am not surprised this was dropped in 2018, after Get Out and that terrible Ghost in the Shell movie came out.

I dont even expecting him to be a flying brick. He just got his powers and if they follow how it worked in the original comics, his strength was limited to how uch solar energy he absorbed. I dont expect him to be anywhere near as strong as Rogue is on a regular basis

The thing is, animated adaptations do changes things around to make things more diverse, rather than the cast be 95% white like they are in the 1940s or 1960s. Like they made Lois Lane Korean and Jimmy Olson black in the latest Superman cartoon, so you could do something similar with Betsy.

But if Kwannon is Psylocke in the animated series, what role would Betsy play in the 97 series? Would Captain Britain really be a team member or a guest star?
    Last edited by The Overlord; 04-29-2024 at 11:35 AM.

Potentially the Psylocke we saw in TAS could have been Betsy in the wrong body but since the events of that show, she's been restored back to her original self.

The thing is, animated adaptations do changes things around to make things more diverse, rather than the cast be 95% white like they are in the 1940s or 1960s. Like they made Lois Lane Korean and Jimmy Olson black in the latest Superman cartoon, so you could do something similar with Betsy.

But if Kwannon is Psylocke in the animated series, what role would Betsy play in the 97 series? Would Captain Britain really be a team member or a guest star?
    Guest. I dont really expect to see them add much to the main roster

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Potentially the Psylocke we saw in TAS could have been Betsy in the wrong body but since the events of that show, she's been restored back to her original self.
    Possibly. It was ambiguous enough that this show can go in any direction

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I think that would be bad idea, I think the merged Psylocke is not just silly, I think it's problematic.

Guest. I dont really expect to see them add much to the main roster

Possibly. It was ambiguous enough that this show can go in any direction

Well if Psylocke and Captain Britain are just guest stars, you don't have to go much into their background and just have them in Excalibur or something, as teammates who either love or hate each other and the X-Men go on a fun adventure in the UK.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 04-29-2024 at 01:13 PM.

I

Well if Psylocke and Captain Britain are just guest stars, you don't have to go much into their background and just have them in Excalibur or something, as teammates who either love or hate each other and the X-Men go on a fun adventure in the UK.
    The background doesnt need to be touched at all. Just have someone use the names Betsy and/or Kwannon at some point and thats enough to tell us who the intended character is supposed to be

Astonishing Member

The background doesnt need to be touched at all. Just have someone use the names Betsy and/or Kwannon at some point and thats enough to tell us who the intended character is supposed to be
    Sure, they are just guest stars, that's trickier if they are main characters and I think someone suggested Psylocke join the main team, if that happens, that should be handled carefully.