Mighty Member

Default Closed down comic shops and other stores you miss?

Went to Sydney a few weeks ago. They finally emptied out the Comic kingdom store that had been there for decades. I first went there in 2006. The shop always seemed stuck in 1989 with posters of keaton batty on the walls and lots of late eighties comics going cheap. They also had a big trough of one dollar punisher comics. The owner died a few years ago and the store would occasionally open some days.

What stores do you miss?

Extraordinary Member

It hasn't been gone that long but I really miss Bed Bath & Beyond. I bought all my bathroom and a lot of my kitchen things from that store.

I also miss Hastings, which was a small chain that sold dvd, cds, and books. I know most people would find that useless now but I still like all those things.

It broke my heart when I learned NYC’s St. Marks Comic Shop had closed back in 2019.

Granted, I hadn’t been there in 28 years at that point, but growing up, it was a huge part of my life. I remember sitting on those steps, smoking a joint, then going in for my weekly haul, or just browsing and picking up random books.

Sigh

BANNED

stores that I really do miss

Alco stores back then in the 1980s
    Kaybee Toys store at the mall
    B Dalton bookstore at the mall
    Waldenbooks at the mall
    Kmart
    Shopko

Astonishing Member

Thirfty's. They had the best ice cream. I know some place still sell Thrifty's ice cream but it's not thrifty anymore.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I really miss Sears. It had good clothes at reasonable prices. They also had great sales.

I have been to so many different comic stores on the east and west coast but I haven't been to one in quite a while so I don't know what closed down.

Extraordinary Member

I miss Sears too. Craftsman tools were the best.
    Last edited by caj; 05-01-2024 at 09:12 AM.

Astonishing Member

Tower Records. But more generally I miss CDs.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Toys R Us
    Kiddie City
    KB Toys

Those stores were like Disneyworld for a kid like me in the 80s.

Really wish I could bring my little guy to a place like that but the closest thing I can offer is a miniature version of it at Macys
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 05-01-2024 at 01:11 PM.

Ultimate Member

HMV (that image of the dog looking at a gramophone was iconic but they seem to be making a comeback in some form).
    Virgin Megastores.
    Toys R Us was THE store for a generation of people.
    Sears

Mighty Member

Back when I was a kid, there were two comic shops in Canterbury, where I would go with my Parents when we went on Holiday.
    The first was Incognito Comics, which was a small Shop (about the size of a room) with just thousands of comics stuffed in it. It was like Heaven for 8 year old me, but I can't, to this day, tell you what the Shop looked liked. Guess it had so much stuff in it that it kind of just made me not remember much about it.
    The other was whatever comics, which again, was a big shop of two floors. I didn't realise it was there until years later, and I found it to have a lot of stuff there. Picked up some good books back in the day there too.
    They eventually moved (possibly around 2008 as I remember picking up issues of Ultimate Origins there when it came out).
    Both are sadly closed down.

But regardless, I could talk about comic shops for hours...