Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    I guess my point there, I think maybe in 10 years saying something is "kind of OCD" when not referring to the mental health diagnosis might fall out of favor like saying "you're a bit ADD/ADHD". And it does make me want to spread the word on what it's actually like with OCD. And if you think you might have it, I recommend getting tested for it (and checking out mental health in general). Just my two cents.
    I don't think I have it myself, because if I can't do some of the things I posted here, it's not as if I can't function afterwards. It's forgotten quickly and then I move on. Having said that, having your mental health checked out probably isn't bad advice for anybody.

BTW, I'm glad you're managing with it okay. I know some people not as fortunate.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Probably more to the point: I rearrange towels, etc. on every laundry day so that the most recently cleaned will be at the bottom of the pile. Same thing with dishes.
    I do this with dishes, but it’s just logical. We have 12 of everything for 2 people. Otherwise we would end up eating off the same 2-4 plates or out of the same 2-4 bowls over and over.

I hear the point on OCD being an actual condition. Maybe for mine, idiosyncrasies is more the term, since none of mine slow me down in any way (other than I have stood at the top or bottom of staircases and recounted when I've been distracted on the way up or down).
    Last edited by useridgoeshere; 04-28-2024 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I do this with dishes, but it’s just logical. We have 12 of everything for 2 people. Otherwise we would end up eating off the same 2-4 plates or out of the same 2-4 bowls over and over.
    Which is why I do what I do, too.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Double checking to make sure doors (house and car) are locked and that I have my keys with me. I blame my husband for this (kinda). On our Honeymoon it was my turn to drive the rental car, and I locked the keys inside after we got out. He's reaction was, well, memorable though not in a mean sot of way (he was not happy about it). It was enough to make me over cautious to check first that I have my keys and to double check that I locked the doors.
    This is why I like fobs, because I cannot lock my keys in the car anymore. When I try, it just refuses to lock the doors and I get the point.

Boisterously Confused

If the tools to do so are available, it just feels wrong if I don't put comic/movie/play/tv-series names in italics and issue///episode names in "quotations." Got the same issue with ship names.

I also go to ridiculous lengths to avoid ending sentences with a preposition.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    If the tools to do so are available, it just feels wrong if I don't put comic/movie/play/tv-series names in italics and issue///episode names in "quotations." Got the same issue with ship names.

I also go to ridiculous lengths to avoid ending sentences with a preposition.
    I definitely do the former, but not the latter (at least that I'm aware of).

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    I have OCD, have done CBT for it etc, I'll say for entertainment it doesn't really affect me. Like some people want to do all the tedious side optional stuff in video games to complete it, or need to read every issue of a published character etc, I can be pretty laid back about all that stuff.

But I do say wait for 30 seconds to make sure the dome lights in my car turn off after locking the car, so they don't drain the car battery. This has happened maybe three times in years, but none the less I check it. And the usual OCD stuff, taking a long time to wash my hands etc if I'm not timing it etc, and various stuff. A lot of OCD is just thinking stuff, like doing prayers or rituals in your head when you feel uncomfortable or anxious etc. And trying to be aware of that and let it go etc.

Back to art/entertainment, one way it does come in there is I make very long lists of titles I want to check out. Say 1400 movies or so, hundreds of TV shows, bands/musicians, and comic series of course. And I back those lists up too just in case, spend more time on entertainment research than actually taking the stuff in a lot of the time.

Also, it's kind of interesting the first few posts are about being on time, since time management is not my specialty, and having OCD can make you take longer than expected to get things done, adding to running behind. Woops! Having an anxiety disorder like OCD can be a nuisance for sure.

I guess my point there, I think maybe in 10 years saying something is "kind of OCD" when not referring to the mental health diagnosis might fall out of favor like saying "you're a bit ADD/ADHD". And it does make me want to spread the word on what it's actually like with OCD. And if you think you might have it, I recommend getting tested for it (and checking out mental health in general). Just my two cents.
    The way I look at it, I have ADD/ADHD (diagnosed) and my way of coping with it is to do OCD things. OCD is neither a symptom or an ailment in and of itself but it is a tool that helps me deal with life, stay as focused as possible and to control my tendency to get distracted by things. OCD gives me control over things I can control.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 04-29-2024 at 10:12 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Boisterously Confused

This seems appropriate to the thread

FB_IMG_1714430137853.jpg

I always nibble the edges off Reese's cups off before I eat the center.

I also have to get mayo out to the absolute edge of my sandwiches, similar to the meat as I hate having it all lumped in the center (Looking at you Arby's!).

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

I'm OCD about the Menus at Texas Roadhouse not being in the metal binder so it's something that I do as a busser.
    That would make me similar to Scott Turner from Turner and Hooch in that great movie which has Scott Turner as a likable detective protagonist who focuses on cleanliness
    https://noequipmentfitness.com/
    No Equipment Fitness is my Online Fitness website where you can purchase short no equipment workouts.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Ignorant neighbours slamming the front door of our building at all times or the use of a washing machine after 10 PM like they don t have any neighbours