Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_fury View Post
    Tas when I was younger and the first comic I read was messiah complex
    Messiah Complex was the last great cross over event in my eyes.
    L'Enfer !

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy_Cricket View Post
    Messiah Complex was the last great cross over event in my eyes.
    Second Coming I have to say was great as well. IMO
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

Slightly off topic but what is everyone using to buy and read digital comics these days. Got a nasty shock when I tried to go into my old Marvel Comic App.
    L'Enfer !

The Marvel Ultimate Alliance game was my first exposure to most Marvel characters that weren’t Spider-Man. Oh, Marvel Versus Capcom 2 as well.

My dad was a huge Wolverine fan so when he saw how hyped up I was over the Wonder Woman series that used to come on back in the 70s, he was like, "you know there's a powerful black woman superhero" and gave me a bunch of comics to read. I have no idea what the issues were because I was like 5 but I've been hooked ever since. I just read random issues until I got older and then started watching the cartoon.
    "I AM A GODDESS OF LIFE AS WELL AS OF STORMS. IF IT IS WITHIN MY POWER TO SAVE YOU -- I SHALL." - ORORO MUNROE

Slightly off topic but what is everyone using to buy and read digital comics these days. Got a nasty shock when I tried to go into my old Marvel Comic App.
    For my digital current issues, I use Kindle. The Marvel Unlimited app still exists but the issues are still a little behind.
    "I AM A GODDESS OF LIFE AS WELL AS OF STORMS. IF IT IS WITHIN MY POWER TO SAVE YOU -- I SHALL." - ORORO MUNROE

I inherited very old and beat up graphic novel of the Dark Phoenix sage. I was hooked ever since...well up until recently :/
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

X-Men Arcade game I believe. That or TAS. I was too young to actually to remember

Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Back then I didn't know english so I didn't understand the story or who's who. I was just mindlessly playing through the game and watching the kickass cutscenes. Though I remember a point in the game where you have to make a choice between Nightcrawler and Jean Grey and I remember choosing Nightcrawler.

All around the same time in the summer of'77 when I was 8, I got a hand me down comic, a copy of X-Men #84 (one of the pre-New X-Men reprint issues) from a neighbor, I got a copy of Son of Origins with a reprint of X-Men #1 in it as a gift for my birthday, and I read my cousin's copy of X-Men #105. I was familiar with the Beast from Avengers and knew he used to be an X-Man and vaguely who they were before that, but those three formed my first exposure to the team proper. I also encountered Magneto again in the fall in Champions #16 and an Avengers reprint in Marvel Triple Action, and got a copy of X-Men 108 off the spinners that fall as well. That formed the core of my X-Men knowledge for the most part, for several years because I didn't get a lot of comics in jr. High but started up again when I got a job in high school in the mid 80s. That's when I really started reading X-Men on a regular basis, starting just before #200, but also buying back issues and reading Classic X-Men when it launched to get caught up.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

X-MenTAS and from that, the DC/Marvel mash-up with Storm becoming WW so between those two...Storm imprinted on me and has remained my fave.

It also makes it hard to accept a Rogue who isnt a southern belle heavy smasher that can fly but not touch people.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 04-26-2024 at 08:24 AM.

The X-Men arcade game inspired me to go to a comic shop for the first time and this was my first issue.

Been hooked ever since.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

X-men 1. Pure coincidence that it was that issue, or maybe it wasn’t(ther is a chance that some stores carried the title again due to expectations from that issue).That summer I had discovered that comics were not something magical that appeared out of nowhere, no you could buy them. Even my small local store had some, not many though. So I picked up a Spider-Man man issue and another one the month after. But it was the X-men that made me go from issue 1 to instant subscription at my birthday. Sadly X-men folded at the end of that year and all we got was two mega issues in the bimonthly anthology series that showcased them. Sadly it was the uncanny issues and they just weren’t as exciting as the X-men ones. But later on we got the first Gambit mini collected, now that was exciting. But no more X-men comics until around the onslaught era when X-men suddenly got resurrected as an ongoing comic.

I managed to track down some older issues and got pretty well versed in the mythology, especially Excalibur was published with almost the entire Claremont and Davis run. But still the mutants, even with years of publication, was elusive to find in the second hand markets. It was much easier to pickup old spider-man issues or hulk issues. So you like what you can read and X-men was good but harder to find.

A combination of Amazon and the Kindle app. I purchase my digital books on Amazon and they get sent to my Kindle which I have on my ipad and smartphone.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I was another one whose 1st taste of the X-men was seeing them on Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. Color me surprised a few years later when I finally got to read them in a comic only to see Storm dressed like a MTV rock star, sporting a punked out mohawk and leather outfit, instead of her having flowy, long hair and that majestic cape. Firestar was nowhere to be found, and Iceman was part of some team called the New Defenders. Plus, there was some girl named Rogue on the team. This was around Secret Wars, I think it was issue 180. I didn't get to see Storm in her original glory until the first Dark Phoenix trade paperback was released.
    Thank God my dad allowed me to get the original Handbooks where I could learn all about the them up to that point. I've been a fan every since.