Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    My headcanon is that Claremont is attending the wedding just so he can remind the other attendees of all that stuff LOL
    I only know Captain Marvel from when she was an Avenger. So Mystique killing her boyfriend was new to me. Brutal stuff mystique-killing-carols-boyfriend-was-interesting-shame-it-v0-5pup9mkf352c1.jpg
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it was more a government problem than corpos .

Remember in the Children of the Atom mini they had Mystique greet the Avengers, including Carol?
    God I had memory holed that one. Why did you have to go and remind me of that? Man someone really needs to make a top list of mutant flexing on humans that did not age well for them. That has got to be awkward now that they have to reintegrate into society.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    God I had memory holed that one. Why did you have to go and remind me of that? Man someone really needs to make a top list of mutant flexing on humans that did not age well for them. That has got to be awkward now that they have to reintegrate into society.
    Did you also like Storm using Mutant Amnesty as an excuse to break criminals out of prison for crimes they actually committed?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Did you also like Storm using Mutant Amnesty as an excuse to break criminals out of prison for crimes they actually committed?
    Just like Cyclops arguing amnesty for Sabertooth after he was caught by the F4 and Emma getting him out of trial for a crime he committed on American soil so they could try him for laws that didn’t exist when he broke them. God the characterization at the start of this was terrible.

Ultimate Member

Just like Cyclops arguing amnesty for Sabertooth after he was caught by the F4 and Emma getting him out of trial for a crime he committed on American soil so they could try him for laws that didn’t exist when he broke them. God the characterization at the start of this was terrible.
    Didn't they send Sabretooth on that mission, too?

Yes, they did

Point of order: Sabretooth was sent on the mission by others, but he went out of his way to stir up chaos and hurt innocent people when he didn't have to. Sabretooth kind of had to be given amnesty because the mutants would need to show the world that they mean business. It also let them judge a mutant and his actions on their own terms, in a court that's arguably more suited to handle mutant issues. He was their responsibility, and the Council needed to work out how they handled crime and punishment going forward. Yeah, humans might not like that flex. But unlike some of the others, it was necessary for their nation's founding and they put him in a prison that was way more secure than anything humanity had. (At least until Sabretooth hacked the land, but that was part of a series of unpredictable events.)

He WAS tried by the Council for a law that didn't exist at the time, but he was one of the reasons why it came into existence. He was given a fresh start and showed that, not only was he willing to abuse it, but he was ready to turn on the Council the second he got a whiff of him being held responsible for his actions. He's also Sabretooth, so he's not some victim of circumstance. The Council did discuss giving him a final chance, but then they remembered this was Sabretooth and he wasn't going to change (and was trying to kill them even as they had this trial), so they might as well make an example out of them. So I can't see this as some violation of characterization, when, again, the "victim" was Sabretooth and getting him out of the way makes the world objectively makes it safer for humans.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Typically, when you cause an international incident, you get tried and imprisoned in the country whose laws you broke. They may have felt that they were better to handle it and that they should try their own but in their actions there, they were essentially saying that they felt that they were better than the humans and that their laws have no bearing on them so long as they choose to deal with their own. And then Selene proceeds to take over an American town, kill numerous of the residents and get absolutely no punishment for the act yet the Exiles get condemned to the Pit with Sabertooth for much less. The characterization was all over the place when it came to just how much or little they cared to enforce their own laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I only know Captain Marvel from when she was an Avenger. So Mystique killing her boyfriend was new to me. Brutal stuff mystique-killing-carols-boyfriend-was-interesting-shame-it-v0-5pup9mkf352c1.jpg
    Exhibit B.

Typically, when you cause an international incident, you get tried and imprisoned in the country whose laws you broke. They may have felt that they were better to handle it and that they should try their own but in their actions there, they were essentially saying that they felt that they were better than the humans and that their laws have no bearing on them so long as they choose to deal with their own. And then Selene proceeds to take over an American town, kill numerous of the residents and get absolutely no punishment for the act yet the Exiles get condemned to the Pit with Sabertooth for much less. The characterization was all over the place when it came to just how much or little they cared to enforce their own laws.
    Except they kind of did know better, and it was a necessary flex. Sabretooth himself was saying that he could bust out of the chains and kill everyone in the court. Emma acknowledged that Sabretooth was bad, but that he had to be judged by their court system. Which, while a flex, is pretty fair. And it was done legally, since Emma had paperwork ready for it and the State Department already agreed to this law beforehand. She only really got snarky when a human pulled a gun out on her for getting involved in a case where she was legally right.

As for Selene, I'd chalk that up to inconsistent continuity or an editorial oversight. It wasn't mentioned in other books when she came up, and no one seemed to know anything about it. It sucks but it happens a lot. It's like how Beast got as far as he did, solely because Percy was allowed to play in his own sandbox alone and no writer could stop him, even if it would make sense for others to get involved. Or how D-Man became a Symbiote, bonded with the Hive and died, came back to life without explanation, lost his powers, became a vampire, and then that was forgotten by his next appearance. So I can't fault the Council for an IRL mistake the writers probably weren't aware of.
    Last edited by Rift; 05-01-2024 at 07:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Exhibit B.
    Wow. Maybe Captain Marvel can be put in a situation where she has no choice but to kill Destiny, which brings them back to being enemies.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Usually.
    There's a case for citizens of a certain country I won't mention that are relocated quickly to their homeland and removed from the country before the country can try them. So you have people who caused the death of many people... who don't do any day of prison because they are tried in absentia. And in their homeland they get just a slap on the hand.

There's also the case of foreign CEO/industrials who are tried in country for something happened in their industry's complex, and their country of origin protects them. So you have them condemned to plenty of years in prison but they stay in their country as free people. Both countries part of the UE, btw.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

[redacted]
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume