Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Superman Recommendations

Welcome to the one-stop shop for all your Superman Recommendations!

Curious about a current title? Curious about a character? Curious about just plain ol' anything Superman and not sure where to start? Here's the place to ask!

Default New Reader - Where to start with Superman?

Well, first, pleasure to meet you all CBR forum members, and glad to be here.

Anyway, I've been wanting to get into Superman for a while, but confused where to start. I've seen All-Star Superman get mentioned a lot around the Internet, as well as stuff like Superman: Birthright and Superman: Earth One, but I wanted to get some extra opinions.

For the record, I'm not one of those people who complains about Superman being too powerful and so on, Superman can punch holes in the time-space continuum every other Thursday for all I care, I just want good, entertaining stories.

So, any suggestions?
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Though I love it to pieces, I would not recommend starting with All-Star Superman. I feel like as a story you kind of need to have a better understanding of the character and his history to fully appreciate and "get" it. That being said though, it is fantastic and easily one of my top three Superman stories.

As for places to start, Birthright is my personal favorite as far as Superman origins go although I know a lot of people prefer Byrne's Man of Steel. Not a big fan of Earth One.

I have yet to personally read them but I've heard very good things about the current run by and Pak/Kuder in Action Comics (starting from 25 I think, but it may have been 26) and from what I've seen of it, it seems like a decent enough place to start.

Welcome! Always happy to have a new Superman fan!

Birthright is a great place to start. I'd also recommend For All Seasons. It's a fun story that explores Superman's early days and doesn't require any prior knowledge. If you want to read current Superman, there is still plenty of time to catch up. Pick up the trades of Action Comics from the Nu52. Wait until Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. take over Superman to jump in. Superman/Wonder Woman is also a fun read and only 7 issues in. I think the best of current Superman is Pak's Action Comics, which is the current run. If you just want fun stories from Superman's past, check out Brainiac by Geoff Johns and For the Man Who Has Everything by Alan Moore. I'm sure I'll think of more.

BANNED

Superman: Secret Origin by Geoff Johns is a great jump off point. It mixes some Modern Age elements with Silver Age elements, really well. And it doesn't waste a lot of time like Birthright and doesn't seem as dated as Byrne's Man of Steel (which is my personal favorite, but I admit it's outdated now).

Superman: Earth One is actually good, but it doesn't really do anything special, and the folks around here hate it like poison.

Superman For All Seasons is pretty cool

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? is great (especially as the new/current edition includes For the Man who has Everything)

Superman #32 would be an ideal jumping-on point (since that's when the new creative team of Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr start their run)

Superman/ Wonder Woman is a fun title ... the first collected edition comes out later in the year if you don't feel like tracking down the back issues

Birthright
    All-Star Superman
    For All Seasons
    Action Comics (New 52) vol 1-3

Thank you very much for all your suggestions!
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Default What Superman books (comics/kids books) would you recommend for 5-10 years old?

I'm a Superman fan and I've been trolling the back issues for some time trying to find ones that I feel appropriate for my son(s) when they're old enough (they're 2 and 8 months so obviously too young currently).

I've already bought all of the Superman Family Adventures so consider this the only rec off the table (as I have two copies of each, it's going to survive through my kids...I hope).

Any others?

I want to be clear that I don't consider a single one of the new52 appropriate for this age (no matter how I've tried) so please, don't start there (unless you can find a good reason to and explain it to me.)

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Superman Adventures is a good pic. You could also go with the recently cancelled Adventures of Superman. There is one volume of it out already. Just a bunch of one shots featuring classic Superman, which seemed family friendly. You may also want to try Superman in the 50's and Superman in the 60's. Some of the lighthearted Silver Age stuff could be fun for kids and is generally more family safe. As they get a little older, stuff like Superman: Braniac (the Geoff Johns story, not the Morrison from one the nu52), The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told and things like that would be good.

BANNED

Scribblenauts Unmasked and Smallville?

BANNED

Most older Superman comics before 1986. Not all of them are expensive, plenty are affordable.

Anything from the Pre-Crisis is generally family friendly and fun for younger kids. Also, the "Triangle Era" up until the Death of Superman was good stuff too.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

All-New Member InsanityIsTrueSanity's Avatar

Default What should my next Superman comic be?

Hi all! So, I've been reading quite a few Superman comics these past couple of months. I've always been a fan of the character but more so because of Bruce Timm's 90s Animated Series. I wasn't much of a fan of Reeve's Superman (though I thought his portrayal itself was iconic). Zack Snyder's Man of Steel has peaked my interest in the character again, as I never saw Smallville. The comics I have read are:

Alex Ross' Justice
    Superman: Birthright
    Superman For All Seasons
    Death of Superman (I still have yet to read World Without A Superman and The Return of Superman)
    Superman: Secret Origin
    All-Star Superman
    Superman/Batman: Supergirl
    Superman: Red Son
    Superman: Last Son of Krypton
    Superman: Brainiac

For the most part, I loved most of them. With Birthright, For All Seasons, Justice, and Secret Origin being my favorites of the bunch. But I want MORE MORE MORE. I want to check out some more comics with Darkseid and Brainiac as villains. Any recommendations?