Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Frank Miller's Dark Knight 3

Oh boy, here we go guys, come this fall, Frank Miller will ruin Superman once again. You can really learn to dislike this guy.

Hopefully he won't draw it this time.

It's just not that, it's the writing as well.

I don't understand why Miller is so fixated on having Batman go up against Superman every time. I really think Superman fans see him differently than everyone else.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I liked Miller's Superman in DKR. I thought he used the character in quite a respectful manner while still pointing out some aspects of the character that can be purposefully misconstrued in story in a devilish sharp tongue and cheek manner. He put all of his characters in a play and embellished (only slightly in a lot of cases) aspects of their character to produce role. Superman's meta love hate relationship with the government and his "conversation" with mother Earth were some of my favorite moments that the character has ever had actually.

Whatever the new story will be (I hear Superman's daughter Lara will be a big part) I can only hope it's as good as the first one. I get why some fans of Superman don't care for the work, but then I also feel like they may be taking the surface stuff too much to heart.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I liked Miller's Superman in DKR. I thought he used the character in quite a respectful manner while still pointing out some aspects of the character that can be purposefully misconstrued in story in a devilish sharp tongue and cheek manner. He put all of his characters in a play and embellished (only slightly in a lot of cases) aspects of their character to produce role. Superman's meta love hate relationship with the government and his "conversation" with mother Earth were some of my favorite moments that the character has ever had actually.

Whatever the new story will be (I hear Superman's daughter Lara will be a big part) I can only hope it's as good as the first one. I get why some fans of Superman don't care for the work, but then I also feel like they may be taking the surface stuff too much to heart.
    I think the hatred for DKR among Superman fans stems more from what it begat than the actual story developments itself, and that was largely out of Frank Miller's control, and more to do with the corporate suits and creators who take Millar's story at face value without going deeper into what and why he wrote Superman in the manner he did. All they see is that BATMAN>SUPERMAN, which can be argued has shaped DC's corporate philosophy of pimping Batman for so long at the expense of Superman. That's not on Miller or DKR.

Liked DKR...was meh on DKSA....we will see how this turns out.

BANNED

Yea, DKR is what started this fixation fans have with Batman beating Superman. It's really what started the idea of Batman basically being a god and being able to beat anyone in a fight.

BANNED

Uncle Miller and DC/Warner have just been playing a huge hoax on all of us all this time.

It was good, guys! We are on to it now. You can stop any time...

BANNED

Miller end up doing more damage to batman than good.

WTH DC dark knight returns is a dead franchise, this probably have to do with the bat v sup using it as reference.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Miller end up doing more damage to batman than good.

WTH DC dark knight returns is a dead franchise, this probably have to do with the bat v sup using it as reference.
    Absolutely, DK is getting a lot of hype lately thanks to BvS and it getting a deluxe edition later in the year too, seems DC is gonna ride that hype, do not blame really. I hope this is good though. Not holding my breath.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

As a Superman fan, I'm very excited to hear this.

-__-

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

DK3 will be co-written by Brian Azzarello... maybe, we'll end up having more scenes like this one:

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 04-25-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I got sick of Miller a long time ago. Man went insane years ago. DC needs to accept that the man who wrote DKR and Year One has been gone for about twenty years. They never should have let him return to this well. Holy Terror should have been a wake up call. I don't know all the details but apparently he isn't doing well these days, physically. I guess this is one last hurrah for him and DC is doing him a favor. Still, if they're going to let him near Batman or any of their properties again, they need to have him on a short leash. Hence bringing in Azzarello and Snyder. I didn't like what Azz did to Superman but I did enjoy his WW run. I actually think Miller understood Superman pretty well back in 1986. To be fair, I don't think he intended to start a "Batman can beat anyone" trend. But again, that Miller is long gone. If they were really going to do a sequel, the time would have been for the tenth anniversary back in 1996. Miller still seemed to have some of his wits about him then. Not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I think the hatred for DKR among Superman fans stems more from what it begat than the actual story developments itself, and that was largely out of Frank Miller's control, and more to do with the corporate suits and creators who take Millar's story at face value without going deeper into what and why he wrote Superman in the manner he did. All they see is that BATMAN>SUPERMAN, which can be argued has shaped DC's corporate philosophy of pimping Batman for so long at the expense of Superman. That's not on Miller or DKR.

Liked DKR...was meh on DKSA....we will see how this turns out.
    Exactly. Had it just been one story in 1985 or thereabouts, it wouldn't be a big deal. But it permeated the portrayal of Batman and Superman for decades and it still isn't over.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    DK3 will be co-written by Brian Azzarello... maybe, we'll end up having more scenes like this one:

I'm not a fan of For Tomorrow....but even I have to admit the awesomeness of that scene.