Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by InsanityIsTrueSanity View Post
    Hi all! So, I've been reading quite a few Superman comics these past couple of months. I've always been a fan of the character but more so because of Bruce Timm's 90s Animated Series. I wasn't much of a fan of Reeve's Superman (though I thought his portrayal itself was iconic). Zack Snyder's Man of Steel has peaked my interest in the character again, as I never saw Smallville. The comics I have read are:

Alex Ross' Justice
    Superman: Birthright
    Superman For All Seasons
    Death of Superman (I still have yet to read World Without A Superman and The Return of Superman)
    Superman: Secret Origin
    All-Star Superman
    Superman/Batman: Supergirl
    Superman: Red Son
    Superman: Last Son of Krypton
    Superman: Brainiac

For the most part, I loved most of them. With Birthright, For All Seasons, Justice, and Secret Origin being my favorites of the bunch. But I want MORE MORE MORE. I want to check out some more comics with Darkseid and Brainiac as villains. Any recommendations?
    Check out the New52 Action Comics. Grant Morrison's now famous t-shirt and jeans Superman is widely popular among fans and it'll give you a strong sense of the Golden Age social crusader that Superman started out as. Morrison wrote from issue 1 to issue 18, as well as the 0 issue and if you can roll with his weird head-trip story telling its one of the strongest runs Superman has seen in thirty years. Then skip everything until issue 24 or 25 when Greg Pak comes on. His run starts with a stand-alone, t-shirt and jeans era story where Superman tries to stop a major hurricane headed for Gotham. One of the best one-shot issues I've read in ages. And then Pak's run really starts, and it's everything a good Superman comic should be; it's got weird ideas (the Ghost Soldier, Subterrania,) heart, humor, soul, and a Superman who doesnt take any crap but isn't a complete douche. It's got a sweet pulp feel to it as well, which fits the character nicely.

I also suggest Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes and Legion of Three Worlds. Both by Geoff Johns. The former puts Superman into the 31st century to help the Legion defeat a xenophobic villain who is corrupting Superman's legacy. The latter is a Final Crisis tie-in and puts Superman back in the future trying to defeat Superboy Prime for the last time. It's a little continuity heavy but generally it shouldnt be a problem.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

If you can find a copy of it, I'd say "For the Man Who Has Everything" by Alan Moore. It was an annual and I think is collected in with Moore's DC work and another Superman trade by Moore. It's a classic Superman story.

To add to what Ascended said, Morrison's Action is a lot of fun and pays tribute to all eras of Superman. As a bit of icing on the cake, Brainiac is the featured villain of Morrison's first story arc. So the trade Action Comics New 52, vol. 1 would be right up your alley. I'd recommend finishing up Morrison's story in Acton with the other volumes and jumping into Pak's action comics. Pak does a great job with Superman and continues with Morrison's characterization of Superman in a very natural way.

Either choice, I think you'll be very happy with your Superman reading.

All-New Member InsanityIsTrueSanity's Avatar

Check out the New52 Action Comics.
    The only problem is that I'm not a fan of Morrison's work. Even, All-Star Superman -- which is Morrison's best work I've read, I find to be just okay. I was going to pick up the Action Comics trades but I was hesitant because of Morrison and didn't know how much I was going to enjoy them.

I believe I read Moore's For the Man Who Has Everything when I read Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

For the Man Who Has Everything is not part of Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow if that's what you're asking.

Try Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek and Stuart Immonen.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Dax View Post
    For the Man Who Has Everything is not part of Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow if that's what you're asking.
    Actually, if he's referring to the 2010 TPB called SUPERMAN: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW, it is.

It collects "Whatever Happened...," "The Jungle Line" and "...Has Everything."

Try Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek and Stuart Immonen.[/QUOTE]

I would tend to agree, but then, I might be biased.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by InsanityIsTrueSanity View Post
    The only problem is that I'm not a fan of Morrison's work. Even, All-Star Superman -- which is Morrison's best work I've read, I find to be just okay. I was going to pick up the Action Comics trades but I was hesitant because of Morrison and didn't know how much I was going to enjoy them.
    That being the case, I'd recommend you not bother with the later half of Morrison's run as it's ripe with his trademark psychedelic, big-head crazy ideas and if you're not a fan of his in general, you likely won't enjoy it. It's a war against the 5th dimension being fought on multiple fronts, it jumps around the timeline in a way that, while it makes sense for what's happening, is still really jarring, and it ends on a very metatextual level, which again is one of Morrison's trademarks.

The first half however, or at least the first six issues or so, I still think you'd likely enjoy. The opening story is extremely non-Morrison in execution. And as was mentioned it features Brainiac.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Actually, if he's referring to the 2010 TPB called SUPERMAN: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW, it is.

It collects "Whatever Happened...," "The Jungle Line" and "...Has Everything."

Try Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek and Stuart Immonen.
    I would tend to agree, but then, I might be biased.

kdb[/QUOTE]

How could I forget Superman: Secret Identity? That should definitely be on your list. Great story with great art. What more can you ask for?

Amazing Member

Default Where to start?

Superman was the first superhero movie I ever watched, but as time went on Spider-Man became my favorite superhero. However I've been wanting to stretch my comic book horizons and have been curious, for someone who's never read a Superman comic (I have a Superman races Flash comic but that's it), where should I start? I have the same question for Batman

It depends if you want to study past continuities or current stories.

These are some entertaining (and informative) Pre New 52 titles:

* Superman: Man of Steel volumes 1-8

* Superman For All Seasons

* Superman: Kryptonite

* Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

* All Star Superman

* Kingdom Come

As far as this current continuity (New 52) is concerned, the best places to start IMO are:

* Action Comics vol 1: Superman and the Men of Steel (this tells his current origin)

* Superman #32 will be an ideal jumping-on point when it comes out soon

* Superman/ Wonder Woman is lots of epic fun ... the first collected edition (Power Couple) is coming out in a few months but you can still find the back issues quite easily.

Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

I agree with the above poster, but I'll also say that I think Birthright was an excellent telling of Superman's origin - probably my favorite in comics. However, many (perhaps most?) prefer the Byrne's Man of Steel mini, which is excellent in different ways (Man of Steel Vol. 1 in the list above).

To really 'get' Superman, All-Star Superman is perfect.

Superman: Red Son and Superman: Secret Identity are excellent elseworlds tales.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Action Comics vol 1: Superman and the Men of Steel (and all the volumes following it)
    All Star Superman
    Superman: Birthright

Everyone above has some good recommendations, and I agree with them.

I'll also add the current Action Comics run by Greg Pak to the list. His run starts with issue....24 or 25 of the current Action volume, and it seems to be universally loved around here and on a few other sites I occasionally visit. None of it is collected in trade yet, but the single issues will be easy enough to hunt down. Read these, and if you dont enjoy them then Superman just might not be a character for you.

This isn't nearly as popular a story, but if you want a big, giant space opera type story check out Our Worlds At War. It's from before the New52 so none of it "counts" as having happened in the current history, but its a big dumb, fun story about Superman and his allies (and some foes) working together to defeat a cosmic being intent on ending the universe.

~ Black Panther.

Default Stories from post crisis to flashpoint

Looking to delve into Superman from after COIE to flashpoint anyone have any good reccomendations? So far ive read All-Star Superman,Death of Superman,Both Earth One Volumes,and Superman Secret Identity what are some more good stories?

BANNED

Time and time again (superman gets trapped in time and bouncing from the past to the future)
    http://www.comicvine.com/time-and-ti...-56397/issues/

Panic in the sky (Brainiac takes over warworld and plots to use it against earth)
    http://www.comicvine.com/panic-in-th...-55873/issues/

World's Collide (DC & Milestone clashed as the superman family meets the milestone heroes)
    http://www.comicvine.com/worlds-coll...-40781/issues/

Not specifically only superman but JLA/Avengers , the best crossover ever.
    http://www.comicvine.com/jlaavengers/4050-10941/

Birthright, Up Up and Away, Last Son of Krypton, Escape from Bizzaro World, Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes, Legion of 3 Worlds, Boy of Steel, Black Ring (Lex centered story). Kryptonite. All the John Byrne "Man of Steel" books released thus far + his World of Krypton mini. If you enjoyed Death of, read World Without and Return of, the two sequels. If you liked All-Star, check out Morrison's JLA (deluxe vol 1-4) and the DC One Million trade, plus Final Crisis, especially the two-part Superman Beyond in the middle. And Red Son, too. For Tomorrow seems to be split between those who love or hate it, but its well worth a read and has great Jim Lee art. So many good ones. Could go on and on.
    Last edited by MykeHavoc; 09-29-2014 at 12:03 AM.