Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

I really dug the New Krypton era. It's a pretty big chunk o' books that probably started with Johns Action Comics run and eventually led to a pretty massively big triangle era. I loved the way it brought together so many mostly disparate aspects of the Superman mythos into something huge. Honestly, I think it was so good that it makes it hard to pick up post flashpoint Superman, which I did for a while. Honestly, I can dig some of the changes to Superman himself (even if I don't love all of them) but the Superman corner of the DCU just seems so much less in every imaginable way now.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    I really dug the New Krypton era. It's a pretty big chunk o' books that probably started with Johns Action Comics run and eventually led to a pretty massively big triangle era. I loved the way it brought together so many mostly disparate aspects of the Superman mythos into something huge. Honestly, I think it was so good that it makes it hard to pick up post flashpoint Superman, which I did for a while. Honestly, I can dig some of the changes to Superman himself (even if I don't love all of them) but the Superman corner of the DCU just seems so much less in every imaginable way now.
    Yeah, the whole Secret Origin - Brainiac - Last Son - Superman & The Legion Of Super-Heroes - New Krypton - War Of The Supermen run had a big impact on me too. Like you it stopped me from delving into New52 Superman for a while although eventually I relented. I'm glad I did because I loved Morrison's Action Comics run. However New52 Superman still hasn't left as big an impression overall as the entire New Krypton run did. It was such an unabashed homage to Silver-Age era Superman and seemed to have everything but the kitchen sink thrown in, plot & mythology wise. Brilliant stuff.

I'm a big fan of Christopher Reeve era Superman and this almost felt like a continuation of that period too. John Williams' score would fit it perfectly.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 09-29-2014 at 05:50 AM.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Yeah, the whole Secret Origin - Brainiac - Last Son - Superman & The Legion Of Super-Heroes - New Krypton - War Of The Supermen run had a big impact on me too. Like you it stopped me from delving into New52 Superman for a while although eventually I relented. I'm glad I did because I loved Morrison's Action Comics run. However New52 Superman still hasn't left as big an impression overall as the entire New Krypton run did. It was such an unabashed homage to Silver-Age era Superman and seemed to have everything but the kitchen sink thrown in, plot & mythology wise. Brilliant stuff.

I'm a big fan of Christopher Reeve era Superman and this almost felt like a continuation of that period too. John Williams' score would fit it perfectly.
    I've followed Superman a bit in the New 52 era. I dug Morrison's Action Comics run but HATED Lobdell's Superman run. Obviously, other folks have other opinions here but I think a huge part of what has made me a big Superfan over the years was the extended mythology which was largely lost or watered down in the post-flash point world. Superman is great, even "depowered" he can take care of most threats or at the very least most bad guys. What he can't do is everything; he can't save everyone in trouble (there are just too many people / aliens in trouble for Superman to save them all), he can't punch out social injustice, he can't fight conspiracies that he knows nothing about, This is, IMO Superman's real "weakness", not kryptonite (which hurts him but doesn't nearly limit him as much) but rather that he's only one man. On the other side of the coin, his greatest strength isn't any of his powers, but rather his willingness and drive to do the right thing all the time and to inspire others to do the same.... which he kinda does in the post-flashpoint universe but nowhere near the way he has in the past.

Default What new52 Superman runs or writers are worth reading?

I'm quite out of touch with new52 Superman. Where would you advise me to start? Are there really good new52 runs, in Superman, Action Comics or wherever?

My favorite is Snyder's Unchained. I started with Action Volume 1. It spends a lot of time on the origin, but I found it to be worth it. Superman/Wonder Woman has been fantastic as well. I would get caught up on all three of those before getting into something like Superman Doomed, the most recent event.

I picked up H'ell of Earth TPB yesterday, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Maybe someone can comment that has already read it?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I enjoyed Morisson's Action Comics (issues 1-18(?)) or Action comics TPBs 1-3. I don't think it's all gold, but it's worth reading the lot as it mostly ties into the magnificent 3rd volume.

H'el on Earth TPB (I think this was Superman, Superboy and Supergirl issues 14-18). The first Superman crossover of the New 52, and spotlights Superman, Superboy and Supergirl and their relationships very well. It's also a really fun read (though annoying that NOONE points out the guy's name is Hell, so obviously is a villain).

There was a sequel, Krypton Returns, but it wasn't as good. It is worth a read, though, as it does resolve some things from H'el on Earth.

Greg Pak's work on Action has been fantastic (25 onwards), I don't think there's a collection yet.

I also really enjoyed Doomed.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The Morrison run. Anything else you read won't be on my conscience.

Thanks for all the indications.

The Morrison run seems a good bet. I really enjoyed a lot of what he did in Batman. I don't love Snyder's work as much as most people seem to, but I like it enough to be interested. From Greg Pak I remember very fondly his run in The Incredible Hercules (at least parts of it), although he was co-writing with Van Lente and I don't know who is more responsible for the things I liked. I'm not so keen on Lobdell's crossovers... I'm really not a fan of his work in Teen Titans.

Regarding Superman/Wonder Woman, what's the tone there? Is it mostly a romance or traditional superhero stuff...?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by db105 View Post
    I'm quite out of touch with new52 Superman. Where would you advise me to start? Are there really good new52 runs, in Superman, Action Comics or wherever?
    Start off with Grant Morrisons AC run, which runs from AC #1-17. Then go to Pak which starts with #25 and is ongoing. There is also Scott Snyder's limited series called Uncahined, which wraps up in December. And Geoff Johns just started his Superman run at #32. Also the SM/WW book is not bad at all.

Regarding Superman/Wonder Woman, what's the tone there? Is it mostly a romance or traditional superhero stuff...?
    It's a mix a both and Charles Soule, who is the writer, handles it well. I never feel like the romance angle is too much nor do I ever feel like it's all non stop action.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 10-02-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I didn't stick with it but it wasn't bad at all. Especially with Daniel's lush art.

I feel like van lente was largely responsible for the tone of humor on Hercules, while pak seems to go for more heart, going by many of his solo titles.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 10-02-2014 at 08:46 AM.

You can't go wring with Morrison's and Pak's runs on Action Comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-L View Post
    You can't go wring with Morrison's and Pak's runs on Action Comics.
    You can if you read Doomed.

Like everyone said, Morrison's run on Action is where its at. Superman only just became worth reading with Johns writing. Pak and Soule's work got accolades, but the recent Doomed crossover seemed to kill their momentum. New arcs start soon, with Tomasi taking over Superman/Wonder Woman, Action finishes up its post-Doomed stuff and Batman/Superman has a mini arc at the moment. I fell out with Unchained, but people seem to like it. And Justice League has had plenty of good Supes moments.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

You really can't go wrong with Morrison's run. It's certainly my favourite.

Morrison AC run starts of great but flounders a bit later on.still recommended (AC #1-18,best being #1-#5,#9,#13)

Greg pak's run AC #25-#29;(the Doomed crossover hampers this),pick it up with #36 next month

Geoff Johns/JRJR Superman #32 onwards : People will cry and moan about Johns no matter what but he can write awesome Superman stories and is already wiping the awfulness of Lobdell's run..This will go on to be good

Synder's Unchained is bland
    Last edited by Kryptoniac; 10-02-2014 at 03:20 PM.