View Poll Results: What would you rather Sony/ Disney work on?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • More Spider-Man Movies

14 36.84%
  • A Live-Action Spider-Man TV Series

24 63.16%
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Would a Spider-Man TV series be better than movies? NOW WITH POLL!

Spider-Man certainly can make for spectacular movies on the big screen when done right, but I feel they could do more with the Spider-Man mythos in a TV show. They could adapt decades of Spider-Man stories from the comics (not straight adaptations, though) and introduce a greater variety of villains and supporting characters. It could last for years. What do you think?

Personally, if such a show was made and lasted long enough, I'd want a few seasons dedicated to the Superior Spider-Man storyline. I really want that storyline adapted either to the big screen or the small one, but movies based on it are much less likely.

BANNED

after studying the characters and reeading the cmoics spiderman works way better as a tv show than a movie

Spider-Man is no doubt a street level character. His powers aren't flashy, and they're not strong enough for the epic adventures of Thor. However, I think his powers need to be on the big screen to truly appreciate them. He has to be able to swing from post to post, zipping away and to villains. He deserves huge set pieces against villains like Sandman and Electro, who can't really be made on TV, without having a ridiculous budget. There's easier villains to go on the small screen, like Kraven or Chameleon, but the fights still wouldn't have the acrobatic flair necessary for Spider-Man. Say what you want about any of the Spider-Man series, but each of the fight scenes are choreographed and shot in such a way that has spoiled us. I wouldn't want to see Spider-Man do a token web swing now and then - I want him to do whatever a spider can, and not what the budget constraints restrict him to be.

However, we will get to see more Peter Parker, which is the best part of the Spider-Man films (hence why I loved Spider-Man 2 and loathed Amazing Spider-Man 2). A TV series would be much more street level, and there'll be less fighting and more talking. The supporting cast of Spider-Man has always been one of the best, and on the small screen there can be plot arcs and deeper character arcs as well. There's only so much which can be done in a two hour film with character, and we can contrast the much more simpler characterisation of Eddie Brock to the complete arc of Eddie Brock in Spectacular Spider-Man. They have more time to build the personal side, and ideas such as the Sinister Six can be foreshadowed for much longer, so we don't get any cramped episodes which try to lay too much of the foundation at once, which is the biggest problem with the films.

TV can't get the full Spider-Man extravaganza, but they can do Peter Parker better. Film can do both, and it can do both well, as in the case of Spider-Man 2. I definitely think Spider-Man works better as a film. There's a certain spectacle I expect from Spider-Man, and I know that brilliant characterisation can be achieved. We have seen Spider-Man work completely perfectly as a film. It might work as a TV series, but we won't get everything. In the film, we know we can.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Spider-Man is no doubt a street level character. His powers aren't flashy, and they're not strong enough for the epic adventures of Thor. However, I think his powers need to be on the big screen to truly appreciate them. He has to be able to swing from post to post, zipping away and to villains. He deserves huge set pieces against villains like Sandman and Electro, who can't really be made on TV, without having a ridiculous budget. There's easier villains to go on the small screen, like Kraven or Chameleon, but the fights still wouldn't have the acrobatic flair necessary for Spider-Man. Say what you want about any of the Spider-Man series, but each of the fight scenes are choreographed and shot in such a way that has spoiled us. I wouldn't want to see Spider-Man do a token web swing now and then - I want him to do whatever a spider can, and not what the budget constraints restrict him to be.

However, we will get to see more Peter Parker, which is the best part of the Spider-Man films (hence why I loved Spider-Man 2 and loathed Amazing Spider-Man 2). A TV series would be much more street level, and there'll be less fighting and more talking. The supporting cast of Spider-Man has always been one of the best, and on the small screen there can be plot arcs and deeper character arcs as well. There's only so much which can be done in a two hour film with character, and we can contrast the much more simpler characterisation of Eddie Brock to the complete arc of Eddie Brock in Spectacular Spider-Man. They have more time to build the personal side, and ideas such as the Sinister Six can be foreshadowed for much longer, so we don't get any cramped episodes which try to lay too much of the foundation at once, which is the biggest problem with the films.

TV can't get the full Spider-Man extravaganza, but they can do Peter Parker better. Film can do both, and it can do both well, as in the case of Spider-Man 2. I definitely think Spider-Man works better as a film. There's a certain spectacle I expect from Spider-Man, and I know that brilliant characterisation can be achieved. We have seen Spider-Man work completely perfectly as a film. It might work as a TV series, but we won't get everything. In the film, we know we can.
    You make some good points, but do you agree that the Superior Spider-Man storyline would be more easily done on TV? I doubt we'll ever get a James Bond-like movie franchise for Spider-Man that would allow this storyline to be adapted, not if we keep rebooting and re-introducing the same characters.

Since I brought it up, a James Bond-like movie franchise would be better than reboots, imo. Not to mention, with the MCU having been established, I wonder if Marvel is really expecting the same actors to still be playing their characters twenty-years down the line, or if they will go the James Bond route of recasting said characters. Or can we expect reboot after reboot.

For the record, I know Spider-Man's movie rights belong to Sony, but what I said above still apply.

One thing is that it would be expensive.

But it would also be a lot of content.

A 22 episode season would be the equivalent of seven Spider-Man movies an year.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

If Arrow, Flash and hell, even boring agents of Shield can sustain their own tv shows, then of course of Spider-man could. I would love it. One of the best things when it comes down to reading a mouthy Spider-man title every mouth is that we get to spend a lot of time with the supporting characters and stay with them. With a tv series, more stories could be told with Harry Osborn, MJ, Aunt May, JJJ and many others. Personally I would love an Ultimate Spider-man tv show. I was pretty disappointed that the ASM2 had Peter out of school already, as I wanted to spend more time with a teenage Peter Parker on screen. Have a Spider-man show that still features Spidey's adventures while also portraying Peters school life.
    I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers... I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And we have, man, we have, all of us. Homes, and our families, normal lives. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it's giving us something. It is giving us a chance.

I’ve thought for a while this would be a great idea. And honestly, I don’t think the cost would be that prohibitive. From my reading, the Spider-Man films- most blockbuster films, for that matter- have massively inflated budgets. A film like Chronicle was made with just a budget of $12 million. I usually use the examples of Game of Thrones or Sherlock to demonstrate what some high-production level shows can look accomplish visually.

Granted, even with a proper budget, it is true there are some visuals a Spider-Man tv show probably couldn’t accomplish on a television budget. But whoever said Electro had to be a sparkling blue power god, anyway? If you used the version of the character with the limited powerset introduced in Amazing #9, I think that would be doable. Villains like Shocker, Chameleon, Tombstone, and other more street level villains could work easily without needing expensive CGI.

Here’s how I would do it: get a Netflix or an HBO that can provide a decent budget and limit a season to 10 episodes or so. Focus on the Peter Parker side of things, and his supporting cast. Film the episodes far in advance of release dates to allow time to get the visual effects right. Use makeup and more practical effects where CGI can be avoided.

BANNED

Yes , bring along his giant robot as well.

BANNED

with all of the guardians money and all of that money marvel will definitelyb keep making especially the civil war tie ins and with andrew garfield and the MCU together we'll definitely see a spiderman tv series soon

Just use the Arrow format: divide each episode to 90% drama between the cast and 10% superheroics. Maybe recast Simmons for Jonah, and find some good actors for Norman, Harry, Flash, Gwen, MJ, May, Ben...

I admit that the special effects would take a lot of work and time (mainly the web swinging) but it would be worth it.

For the first season, they could just decompress AF #15 down to a few episodes. Then have Spidey fight some low level crooks like Chameleon, Shocker and stuff. Start small. Lizard would make a cool two parter. Do it like the original story where Connors goes missing in a swamp in California. Keep him more snakelike and less like the Hulk. Kraven is pretty down to earth too.

Then build slowly towards Green Goblin. This time, give Norman the awesome original costume with the hood and all! In a final battle where Norman is unmasked, end Season 1!

Season 2 would deal with stuff like Harry's drug abuse, some recurring villains, the Gwen vs. MJ dilemma... Harry and Peter would of course share a flat for extra drama. Introduce Doc Ock and Mysterio. Sinister Six would appear to be the major threat in this season, but towards the end Norman would snap out of control again. End with a faithful reproduction of ASM #121 and #122. (two episodes)

Season 3: more MJ stuff. Plenty of grieving about Gwen. No Sins Past reveal though. The Doc Ock marries May storyline would be hilarious for a few episodes, and at the end you could have Doc Ock suffer some major trauma which would leave him a year or two to live (seeding Superior Spider-Man). Harry becomes Green Goblin. The Jackal would be the bad guy here, and we'd get the old school Clone Saga.

Season 4: Hobgoblin saga, and the marriage. Keep the fun twists like Ned or Flash revealed as the Hobgoblin! Have Kraven's Last Hunt happen, out of nowhere, in the middle of the season. Venom would be the main villain at the end of this season, but Spidey would have to team up with him to take down Carnage. However, in the middle of the fight, the Golden Octobot bites Peter! The season finale would be ASM #698-700.

Season 5: Superior Spidey! With a married Spidey (who would dump MJ ASAP)! It would require a skilled actor to convincingly play Peter controlled by Otto!

Season 6: The Amazing Spider-Man returns, no Spider-Verse though. This is where we completely jump the shark. That's right! The 90's Clone Saga!

I don't have a plan for Season 7 yet but it could be the final one.

BANNED

I for one hope when the tv series hits we'll have a drew garfield reprise his role for season 1 and have thecrestcofvthe cast of TASM series returning. I really love Sally field and Dane dehaan as both aunt may and Harry Osborn and definitely love Rhys ifans as curt Connors/the lizard

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Well, if Superman, Smallvile was great when I watched it awhile back, can work as a TV series than why not Spider-Man?

It would be a really expensive show.

Special effects would be more intense than Arrow and the Flash, even if Ultimate Spider-Man sets a precedent for an emphasis on Peter's private life.

But casting could be problematic, given the high number of recurring characters, which requires contracts with a lot of actors.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It would be a really expensive show.

Special effects would be more intense than Arrow and the Flash, even if Ultimate Spider-Man sets a precedent for an emphasis on Peter's private life.

But casting could be problematic, given the high number of recurring characters, which requires contracts with a lot of actors.
    Eh they'll be covering that with the avengers 2 money

Fantastic Member

I like the idea of doing Ultimate Spider-Man for TV. I think the tone of Bendis's book would translate well. A great mix of super heroes and high school drama, lots of action humor and emotion. If this were to be done I would like to see actual teenage actors cast as the teenage characters. I have a hard time buying people in their mid to late 20's as teens. If your protagonist is a 15 yr. old boy please don't hire a 28 yr, old adult to play him.