Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

This book flat out stinks. "We came to love the people of Torfa" Oh really? We did? I found them all completely unbearable and it was monstrously cliche to have almost all of them be women. I don't mind that Carol's in space but she was lame as hell in that whole story. And now we get a two-parter about her stupid cat (does this issue also come with some knitting needles?) and a gimmicky team-up with Rocket Raccoon? ROCKET? When you're being propped up by a large rodent, you aren't an interesting character. KSD needs to move on. Her Carol is bland and uninteresting under her pen. The claim she's supposed to be so much tougher now. "Higher, Faster". But really, she's just being some boring aunt floating around space. I do like the artwork, but Lopez is being completely wasted on this.
    Last edited by Swashbuckler; 09-11-2014 at 03:21 PM.

So, let's see... a cosmically powered human with military training palling around with the Guardians of the Galaxy as a plucky space cop....

... Carol is turning into Richard Rider.

... And now suddenly I totally want a double-feature book of Carol and Richard policing the galaxy together.

FrankHouston

I have actually been enjoying the read. I do wish Capt. Marvel would have been able to showcase her powers a bit more but I really enjoyed the humor and the story nonetheless. Hopefully we will see her go up against a worthy opponent soon. In the meantime I'm enjoying the banter between her and Rocket about her cat. Or should I say the Flerkin!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    This book flat out stinks. "We came to love the people of Torfa" Oh really? We did? I found them all completely unbearable and it wa s monstrously cliche to have almost all of them be women. I don't mind that Carol's in space but she was lame as hell in that whole story. And now we get a two-parter about her stupid cat (does this issue also come with some knitting needles?) and a gimmicky team-up with Rocket Raccoon? ROCKET? When you're being propped up by a large rodent, you aren't an interesting character. KSD needs to move on. Her Carol is bland and uninteresting under her pen. The claim she's supposed to be so much tougher now. "Higher, Faster". But really, she's just being someone boring aunt floating around space. I do like the artwork, but Lopez is being completely wasted on this.
    So glad I dropped it...

Fantastic Member

This is definitely one of Marvel's better books. The supporting characters are charming and Carol herself is likeable and engaging. An earlier incarnation of the character, back during the Skrull Wars event, really threw me when she was made to act like a homicidal xenophobe. This version of character is funny and noble at the same time. And, again, the supporting cast is doing a great job of making the book fun.

As for a Captain Marvel movie - it could be a great idea, if handled well. Zack Snyder and Wonder Woman: besides intensely disliking his choice of the actress to play the character, I also lack any faith in Snyder's ability to deliver a movie worthy of WW. As many have pointed out, I think that DC has gone off the rails already in its cinematic universe and WW as a prop in a movie featuring Superman and Batman is not a great way to introduce the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Hey, Kelly! Remember that lunatic Grace Valentine you introduced in the previous volume? You still owe us a proper conclusion to that, and instead you're putting it all off just so Carol can play space-cop.
    Perhaps that will be revisited once Carol returns? Maybe Grace is rallying, or biding her time, or plotting, or whatever sociopaths do in their down time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    This book flat out stinks. "We came to love the people of Torfa" Oh really? We did? I found them all completely unbearable and it wa s monstrously cliche to have almost all of them be women. I don't mind that Carol's in space but she was lame as hell in that whole story. And now we get a two-parter about her stupid cat (does this issue also come with some knitting needles?) and a gimmicky team-up with Rocket Raccoon? ROCKET? When you're being propped up by a large rodent, you aren't an interesting character. KSD needs to move on. Her Carol is bland and uninteresting under her pen. The claim she's supposed to be so much tougher now. "Higher, Faster". But really, she's just being someone boring aunt floating around space. I do like the artwork, but Lopez is being completely wasted on this.
    Um, that isn't what she said. She didn't say WE came to love the people of Torfa. She said "I've come to really care about the people of Torfa." Kelly Sue cares about them. This sort of attention to detail may be the reason the series hasn't produced a more adequate aroma to appease your sophisticated literary nostrils.

It seems like the primary complaint people have about this space arc -- is the space. What's wrong with space? Not a fan of space territory wars? Invading dictators? The new cast members just too "wacky"? Is it the lack of familiar faces? "Where is Jess??" or "Why isn't Kit in this??" or maybe you just hate the Guardians of the Galaxy hype going on right now.

KSD elevated Carol to such a remarkable level of quality that she caught my attention and hooked me.
    I'd no vested interest in Carol previously. She was primarily just that woman Rogue leeched one time, and who gave a sales pitch to Emma about registration minutes after a mutant massacre. No Kelly Sue has given Carol a STRONG voice, and a solid sense of conviction, and endeared readers to her heart by developing these uniquely brilliant support cast member relationships. I'll admit this arc hasn't gripped me as tightly as when KSD first started writing Carol -- I think her stuff with Deathbird and/or the memory sacrifice was strongest both visually and narratively, but this has still been a fun read -- and this last issue udner Marcio Takara's pencil is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Perhaps that will be revisited once Carol returns? Maybe Grace is rallying, or biding her time, or plotting, or whatever sociopaths do in their down time.

Um, that isn't what she said. She didn't say WE came to love the people of Torfa. She said "I've come to really care about the people of Torfa." Kelly Sue cares about them. This sort of attention to detail may be the reason the series hasn't produced a more adequate aroma to appease your sophisticated literary nostrils.

It seems like the primary complaint people have about this space arc -- is the space. What's wrong with space? Not a fan of space territory wars? Invading dictators? The new cast members just too "wacky"? Is it the lack of familiar faces? "Where is Jess??" or "Why isn't Kit in this??" or maybe you just hate the Guardians of the Galaxy hype going on right now.

KSD elevated Carol to such a remarkable level of quality that she caught my attention and hooked me.
    I'd no vested interest in Carol previously. She was primarily just that woman Rogue leeched one time, and who gave a sales pitch to Emma about registration minutes after a mutant massacre. No Kelly Sue has given Carol a STRONG voice, and a solid sense of conviction, and endeared readers to her heart by developing these uniquely brilliant support cast member relationships. I'll admit this arc hasn't gripped me as tightly as when KSD first started writing Carol -- I think her stuff with Deathbird and/or the memory sacrifice was strongest both visually and narratively, but this has still been a fun read -- and this last issue udner Marcio Takara's pencil is lovely.
    While all that stuff might be true, this is a new series, a new start and if they want to pick people up, they need to write better. I shouldn't have to go looking for back issues on a previous series to find CM endearing. This first arc has been terrible so far. I am riding it out hoping it gets better but with the cat issues the next 2, I don't know if that is gonna happen.

Fair enough. We value your patronage.

Extraordinary Member

I'm enjoying this run greatly.

Space adventures suit Carol perfectly and I liked the fact that the Aliens she was trying to save had their own ides on what they needed that didn't include her.

You don't see much of that in comics.

I'm not sure if Carol has officially joined the Guardians in thier book yet but its fun to see Rocket and
    to a lesser extent, Starlord play off her.

It will be fun to see how she reacts to Gamora and Angela's ongoing badass-competition that they have going between themselves in their book.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

While I have fairly well enjoyed this series, there are two things that are just eh with me. 1--the space thing has ran a little too long for me. I know this may have been editorially driven to get her involved with the Guardians, which has she even appeared in the book? I've picked it up a couple of times and she's made a page or panel appearance only.
    2-and this is where I will probably get some flack, but while Lopez is a solid (very solid) artist, he just doesn't have the flair this book needs. Marcio's work this month was a nice change of pace though.

BANNED

I always enjoyed Ms .Marvel and like her much better as Captain Marvel (she deserved the boost in "name rank"). While I think KSD is grotesquely overrated as a writer, I would rather she writes her to keep her on the shelf than to have her fade into a group title. Unlike some characters (especially X-related), she has a story to be told outside of the Avengers and can carry a solo. They did not just give her a book for diversity sake, they gave her a book because she earned it (the character, not the writer), and the fan love is the whole reason for the current series and they deserve it as well.
    I Read the first volume and enjoyed it, minus the art changes constantly. It fell apart to me with the Infinity crossover and I am waiting on the current volume through the Unlimited service but was underwhelmed with issue 1, it feels like KSD just rehashes the same beats over and over. I also don't care for her outside comments either with make it harder to enjoy a creator's work (at least for me). There is a point to being mouthy and crass (and appreciated when it is natural) and another on putting on an act and doing it for attention. I never enjoy someone bad-mouthing where they pull a pay-check from (even if hidden through your partners comments in your own interview).
    The character will survive, but I do think they may need switch up on teams or a "new" jumping in point with a new creative team. If MB does well with her titles she is slowly amassing maybe she would be a good fit (assuming they stick with a female writer as to not suffer outcry for this).

Quote Originally Posted by Daymare View Post
    I always enjoyed Ms .Marvel and like her much better as Captain Marvel (she deserved the boost in "name rank"). While I think KSD is grotesquely overrated as a writer, I would rather she writes her to keep her on the shelf than to have her fade into a group title. Unlike some characters (especially X-related), she has a story to be told outside of the Avengers and can carry a solo. They did not just give her a book for diversity sake, they gave her a book because she earned it (the character, not the writer), and the fan love is the whole reason for the current series and they deserve it as well.
    I Read the first volume and enjoyed it, minus the art changes constantly. It fell apart to me with the Infinity crossover and I am waiting on the current volume through the Unlimited service but was underwhelmed with issue 1, it feels like KSD just rehashes the same beats over and over. I also don't care for her outside comments either with make it harder to enjoy a creator's work (at least for me). There is a point to being mouthy and crass (and appreciated when it is natural) and another on putting on an act and doing it for attention. I never enjoy someone bad-mouthing where they pull a pay-check from (even if hidden through your partners comments in your own interview).
    The character will survive, but I do think they may need switch up on teams or a "new" jumping in point with a new creative team. If MB does well with her titles she is slowly amassing maybe she would be a good fit (assuming they stick with a female writer as to not suffer outcry for this).
    I take it you're referring to that article BC had about KSD not being invited to retreats? If so, yeah it creates a bad situation that won't end well I think And if Marvel does remove KSD...it may get ugly. I could see them switching to MB though as she's been starting to make some waves.

Extraordinary Member

^If that is indeed the situation, why can't she speak on it? It's not
    like she's in a position to fear for her job. She's a free lancer.

Closed mouths don't get fed, and all that.

Having read her Avengers Assembled run, I think Marvel would be remiss in getting rid of her.

If anything she is under rated.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    I take it you're referring to that article BC had about KSD not being invited to retreats? If so, yeah it creates a bad situation that won't end well I think And if Marvel does remove KSD...it may get ugly. I could see them switching to MB though as she's been starting to make some waves.
    Yep, that is the one, but she does tend to give a little job here and there in other interviews and panels also. I think Marvel did a pretty good job on giving Captain Marvel another go for the fans and leaving the creative voice on the title which obviously did not set the sales world enfuego on the previous volume.
    It is fine to speak an opinion and I do realize she did not intend to speak on it and and MF brought it up but that is when you say "no comment". There are so many people looking for work in general and others dying to break into the comic indutry, to have so many nipping at the hands that help feed their family and at times ego that it just leaves a brown stain in the underwear.
    This is not just an issue with KSD...it is pretty common these days for certain creators. Very petty IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    ^If that is indeed the situation, why can't she speak on it? It's not
    like she's in a position to fear for her job. She's a free lancer.

Closed mouths don't get fed, and all that.

Having read her Avengers Assembled run, I think Marvel would be remiss in getting rid of her.

If anything she is under rated.
    I think the freelancer part is why she is not a "world-builder" at the summits. Writing one book does not necessarily mean you get to pour the foundation at a ground-breaking. She has her fans and her detractors as we all have different tastes. I have liked some of her work and found some lacking, as with most creators. I am also not saying she should never be allowed to go to a summit or retreat but I see the reasons for Marvel not setting an invite. You don't get into the Fortune 500 club when you only have a $20 dollar investment in the company and have the same or more invested in the competitor(s).
    Last edited by Daymare; 09-11-2014 at 02:11 PM.