Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Avengers #34.1 SPOILERS, Review

This is a pure, stand alone, Hyperion story

You could have switched Superman for Hyperion and it would be the perfect Superman story to describe Superman in a nutshell

- A kid is kidnapped by a dude. Dude keeps calling the kid is said and kills a police officer with this gun thing.

- Hyperion shows up to help with the kidnapping investigation but the cops are really nervous about him being there.

- Hyperion does some detective work using his super vision... able to find the kid by his DNA. also figures out the kid is adopted.

- Hyperion shows up to get the kid. The bad guy is apparently THe Mauler or whatever.

- Hyperion thinks about just plain killing the dude but isntead talks to him while the Mauler trys his best to kill Hyperion buut cannot even scratch him.

- Hyperion noticed that the mauler is not related to the kid. I guess the maulers kid was killed in a car accident and he took this kid out of grief

- Hyperion returns the kid, happy ending, declares the people of earth are his children.

There is some more Hyperion back story stuff but damn... thsi would have been a perfect superman story. Seriously.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Al Ewing did a fantastic job with this issue. Such a strong handling of Hyperion that fits in so perfectly with what Hickman has set up for him. I do agree that given this issue, Al Ewing, would nail it writing Superman. Marvel needs to either lock up Ewing or do what it takes to keep giving him high profile work as he's one of their best.

Mighty Member

Even MORE set up for a future heel turn? I thought it was coming after that issue with the kids in the Savage Land.

Great issue, and fantastic art by Keown.

Wow that was inspiring, Hyperion is the real deal.

Wonder how Marvel will turn him into a psycho-villain to be put down later on.

Yeah, this was the perfect one off. I have to say though that I think I'd get tired of this take very fast. The "all powerful hero trying to figure out how to help everyone" is great story in small doses.

I'm not sure if I see a future heel turn coming out of this, though I do think that Hyperion is probably tied to the (as yet unseen) Ivory Kings in some way. Maybe the Savage Land Children are the Ivory Kings and he is their mentor/father figure. It would be very interesting to see the Ivory Kings being a more "Solve Everything" type of group than the more blatantly evil agents of fate we've seen in the other incursions.

The other thing this issue brings up for me though is how much of this issue was stuff Hickman's farmed out to others and how mush is Ewing's own stuff. I've found myself wondering that same thing with Avenger's World and the New Avengers Annual. Those issues fit in way too well with Hickman's ongoing plots.

This was excellent. Al Ewing and Dale Keown really killed it now I want an Hyperion ongoing from them.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by DrTraveler View Post
    The other thing this issue brings up for me though is how much of this issue was stuff Hickman's farmed out to others and how mush is Ewing's own stuff. I've found myself wondering that same thing with Avenger's World and the New Avengers Annual. Those issues fit in way too well with Hickman's ongoing plots.
    I think Hickman just provides a general overview in terms of what should happen. Dialogue and the how things get to various plot points left to the writers. Like with his Ultimates work, he had the overview but it was Humphries that did that scripting and other lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    I think Hickman just provides a general overview in terms of what should happen. Dialogue and the how things get to various plot points left to the writers. Like with his Ultimates work, he had the overview but it was Humphries that did that scripting and other lifting.
    I don't think he did that for this, if he did I'm sure Marvel would've put his name on the cover.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I don't think he did that for this, if he did I'm sure Marvel would've put his name on the cover.
    True but there was some consultation that happened. I think the newsarama interview about the Strange focused NA annual alluded to this. Regardless, still shows how well Ewing can handle continuity.

Read it. LOVED IT. Absolutely perfect.

http://iblogalot.com/2014/09/10/avengers-34-1/

Well, that was best Superman story I've read since, well, All-Star Superman. I want this to be an ongoing, with the same positive tone.
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

I didn't read it, but since it is supposed to be about Hyperion, is it really a good thing that it's an aweome "Superman story"?
    Doesn't that mean that Hyperion is nothing more than a superman clone?

it was very good. I enjoyed the twist too. I kinda want either a Hyperion series by Al Ewing now or DC to let him play with the original blue boy scout.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I didn't read it, but since it is supposed to be about Hyperion, is it really a good thing that it's an aweome "Superman story"?
    Doesn't that mean that Hyperion is nothing more than a superman clone?
    It was a good Hyperion story. Hyperion is similar to Superman but you can see the differences between them in this.
    We need better comics