Page 500 of 631 FirstFirst ... 400450490496497498499500501502503504510550600 ... LastLast
Results 7,486 to 7,500 of 9460

That's absolutely hilarious!
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    That's absolutely hilarious!
    I love it! Like I said before, there are some fun -- and cool -- photos being done with the new action figure. Of course, now I realize, it's the Odd Couple, isn't it? Namor and Reed as Oscar and Felix!! Oh nooooo!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

In the tradition of Cold Water ...

Wooooooot!!!! We made it to 500 pages!

A big thank you to all our posters, including our much missed ones, either MIA or banned, who made this landmark possible.

Also some celebratory Shiny Namor.

https://www.instagram.com/mikeblackattack/
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Ayy 500!

Onward to 500 more!
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I'm sure someone already brought up the fact that Brian Tee has said that he wants to play Namor. What I'm interested in is if Marvel is going to watch and see how well Aquaman does and, if he does well, do you think we've got a chance for a Namor movie?

Amazing Member

I think Namor might at least make a cameo in another marvel movies before he ever gets his own movie, perhaps even if the aquaman movie flops (I don't want to be pessimistic about that though because... i'm kinda excited).

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    I'm sure someone already brought up the fact that Brian Tee has said that he wants to play Namor. What I'm interested in is if Marvel is going to watch and see how well Aquaman does and, if he does well, do you think we've got a chance for a Namor movie?
    I really need to watch something with a larger role for Brian Tee.

I don't know ... I tend to think Marvel doesn't pay much attention to what DC is doing, regarding specific characters, either in the movies or comics. Aquaman was a arguably one of the bigger successes of DC52, and it didn't inspire Marvel to do crap with Namor. Quite the opposite. While Aquaman was getting the A+ treatment, Namor was set up for sacrifice in Hickman's New Avengers storyline in AvX.

I honestly feel as if Marvel has abandoned the character. I don't think the Aquaman movie will change Feige or Alonso's complete disregard for Namor -- and he'll continue to be ignored or abused. If it fails, they will feel vindicated in their feelings about Namor. If it succeeds, it might inspire some creators, and that's where Namor has always been pushed. Creators who 'get' the character, or who love him, or who appreciate what an amazing character (and world) he is. We see this even in the movies, where the Russo brothers want to use Namor.

As for the Aquaman movie ... except to say, with what I've heard and the casting, it seems to be drawing more off of Namor than Aquaman.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I really need to watch something with a larger role for Brian Tee.

I don't know ... I tend to think Marvel doesn't pay much attention to what DC is doing, regarding specific characters, either in the movies or comics. Aquaman was a arguably one of the bigger successes of DC52, and it didn't inspire Marvel to do crap with Namor. Quite the opposite. While Aquaman was getting the A+ treatment, Namor was set up for sacrifice in Hickman's New Avengers storyline in AvX.

I honestly feel as if Marvel has abandoned the character. I don't think the Aquaman movie will change Feige or Alonso's complete disregard for Namor -- and he'll continue to be ignored or abused. If it fails, they will feel vindicated in their feelings about Namor. If it succeeds, it might inspire some creators, and that's where Namor has always been pushed. Creators who 'get' the character, or who love him, or who appreciate what an amazing character (and world) he is. We see this even in the movies, where the Russo brothers want to use Namor.

As for the Aquaman movie ... except to say, with what I've heard and the casting, it seems to be drawing more off of Namor than Aquaman.
    Why wouldn't he, lol? Namor is the more interesting character.

Quote Originally Posted by lameco View Post
    I think Namor might at least make a cameo in another marvel movies before he ever gets his own movie, perhaps even if the aquaman movie flops (I don't want to be pessimistic about that though because... i'm kinda excited).
    I'm looking forward to the Aquaman movie also, for the obvious reasons, but also I like Momoa. It's the ocean scenes that can make or break the movie.

If he gets his own movie, I can see them doing cameos. Otherwise, I don't see Marvel bothering. There's been plenty of perfect opportunities, like the first Cap movie and Agent Carter, but apparently Marvel can't be bothered to work out the rights. It's even worse with the gaming and merchandise situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    Why wouldn't he, lol? Namor is the more interesting character.
    Ha! Well, some of definitely feel that way. ;p
    Last edited by Reviresco; 07-28-2016 at 06:38 PM.

I'm looking forward to the Aquaman movie also, for the obvious reasons, but also I like Momoa. It's the ocean scenes that can make or break the movie.
    See I think this has long been our principal point of disagreement about the potential for a Namor movie. I'm a firm believer that the environs and set-dressing and effects of a Namor movie would be secondary, if not marginal, in determining it's success. It's the character and the dynamics between him and his supporting cast that will make or break a Namor movie. That, as far as I'm concerned is where the merit is, and that's why I think it's of empty (or at least superficial) concern to pin the prospects of us getting Live-Action Namor on how well received and lucrative an Aquaman film might be.
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Dare I say, I feel like DC's been drawing a lot from Namor since the New52 started. Aquaman's become a very different character in the last 10 years.

As for the Aquaman movie, I feel like Marvel will only pursue a Namor movie if Aquaman turns out to be not so good, if only to capitalize on one-upping DC due to the comparisons the characters tend to draw.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 07-29-2016 at 06:01 AM.

Upcoming Reading:

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Dare I say, I feel like DC's been drawing a lot from Namor since the New52 started. Aquaman's become a very different character in the last 10 years.

As for the Aquaman movie, I feel like Marvel will only pursue a Namor movie if Aquaman turns out to be not so good, if only to capitalize on one-upping DC due to the comparisons the characters tend to draw.
    I think that's Geoff Johns doing. I think he only wrote Namor once or twice, but he's clearly inspired by him in his work with both Aquaman and Black Adam. Again, I'm left to wonder what these creators who worked at Marvel, and briefly on Namor, could have done with a Namor ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by lameco View Post
    Yeah it would be nice to have both Atlantic kings around on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    See I think this has long been our principal point of disagreement about the potential for a Namor movie. I'm a firm believer that the environs and set-dressing and effects of a Namor movie would be secondary, if not marginal, in determining it's success. It's the character and the dynamics between him and his supporting cast that will make or break a Namor movie. That, as far as I'm concerned is where the merit is, and that's why I think it's of empty (or at least superficial) concern to pin the prospects of us getting Live-Action Namor on how well received and lucrative an Aquaman film might be.
    Agreed. One thing about both Arthur and Namor is that it's a tale about a person that has a duel existence and they need to grapple with that. Namor has it where he lived below but has to deal with the fact that he is half human. Arthur is the reverse, living above and has to struggle with dealing with the world below. And very much agree that the sets and such come in second to the story, that story has to drive everything, or all the prettiness is just window dressing to a lame script or story idea. Thing is though, if Disney sees the numbers on Aquaman, they may then nudge Feige in that regard and say "Hey, people seem to be okay with Aquaman, think we can get Namor to get a cut of that."

I think that's Geoff Johns doing. I think he only wrote Namor once or twice, but he's clearly inspired by him in his work with both Aquaman and Black Adam. Again, I'm left to wonder what these creators who worked at Marvel, and briefly on Namor, could have done with a Namor ongoing.
    Given John's work on the JSA, and that he can handle writing older fashioned characters rather well, I would say he could have done quiet a bit with Namor, though he would have had to have had an editor that was going to keep him from going too far as in some cases his writing can be hit or miss at times.
    Last edited by Darkspellmaster; 07-29-2016 at 11:14 PM.

DP and 10 char

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    Or course the character and supporting cast are important. But if the ocean setting / special effects fails, much like if the script fails, then I don't think character alone is going to be able to overcome it. It is a superhero movie, and people want the "super" part to wow them. I think it's why superhero movies failed until the special effects advanced to their present state. Perhaps on a TV show, the audience would be more forgiving. By the same token, if the character isn't engaging, the movie fails too.

We probably do have to agree to disagree on this point.

Of course, they could get around the ocean setting, at least for the first movie, by keeping things mostly above the wave.

Upon thinking about it more ... I think the Aquaman movie, no matter how it does, will basically keep us from getting a live action Namor movie.

Agreed. One thing about both Arthur and Namor is that it's a tale about a person that has a duel existence and they need to grapple with that. Namor has it where he lived below but has to deal with the fact that he is half human. Arthur is the reverse, living above and has to struggle with dealing with the world below. And very much agree that the sets and such come in second to the story, that story has to drive everything, or all the prettiness is just window dressing to a lame script or story idea.
    I'm not that familiar with Aquaman, but I never got the sense of him wrestling with his heritage and place, like Namor. He was a white guy in a white society both above and below the waves. Namor, OTOH, physically can not fit in at either place, which arguably is the impetus for his 'angry young man' and alienation narrative.

I'm not saying the script can be bad. I'm just saying that a great script is not going to make a successful movie, if the ocean setting is lame. Story, setting, casting -- all have to be on target.

Thing is though, if Disney sees the numbers on Aquaman, they may then nudge Feige in that regard and say "Hey, people seem to be okay with Aquaman, think we can get Namor to get a cut of that."
    I would love that, but I just don't really see Disney, or Feige, following DC. They didn't rush out Moon Knight or Night Thrasher to get a cut of the Batman movies -- though some might argue Black Panther is their response to that, I wouldn't. I guess we'll see how well Suicide Squad does, and if Marvel decides to greenlight Thunderbolts on their success.