Page 47 of 631 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147547 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    See there you go saying things that give me ideas for future articles I could write.

Jeff Parker's various Atlas series are SOOOO good. I mean, the guy brought Namora back through that work and then there's an awesome '50s robot and a gorilla mercenary with guns and a space man. If you can find back issues or trades I highly recommend it.
    Well I already gave you the idea for Namor is Marvel's Superman

I only read of their appearance in X-men First Class aha there was a nice parallel between the Gorilla and Hank Mccoy, the 50's Robot looks cool he reminds me a heck of a lot of Gort from the Day the Earth Stood Still and any Robot that looks like him is an instant win for me, and I'm all for Namora returning.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    You have missed me!!! Admit it. :P
    Unfortunately, my insistence to finish out Alpha Flight volume 1 has eaten up all my reading time, so the only Namor I've read recently were the issues with him in Alpha. Which were hilarious, imo, but a tiny bit out of character, I feel.

Also: Putting together a comics care package for a friend who hasn't read any Namor and is interested in doing so, so I'm sending issues #1 and #2 of Saga of the Sub-Mariner and an extra MW of some golden age Namor that I have. Any other awesome Namor read recommendations I could pack up? I'd send some of my 1968 series, but I'm totally selfish with my collection of that.
    Of course, I've missed you! But sadly, I haven't been around that much either. Mom's gardening is going to kill me. :P

I just picked up a bunch of Alpha Flight issues I was missing, in the 90s and 100s, from the dollar bin -- actually .50 bin. I wish they'd do an omnibus for them. Trying to track down one of those Classic trades at a reasonable price is tough. And yeah, Namor's a bit sappy in those, doing his best Stanley Kowalski impression. "Marrinaaaaaaa!"

Wow. Tough call. A care package to show someone how much awesome & fun Namor is. Off the top of my head, and I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out ...

Of course you aren't going to release any of that Roy Thomas GOLD! However, MARVEL MASTERWORKS SUB-MARINER vol. 3, 4 or 5, if you / they find them reasonably priced on eBay. Those are the Roy Thomas issues. The first 14 issues of The Sub-Mariner were also reprinted in 1979 but confusingly called TALES TO ASTONISH.

DEFENDERS INDEFENSIBLE -- an exaggeration of all the characters, but hilarious -- any issue or the trade.

NAMOR THE SUB-MARINER #30 - 40, if they don't mind 90's Jae Lee art (see below). This was a dark fantasy take on Namor that pitted him against the ancient evil of sorcerer king Suma-Ket and his body stealing wife Artys Gran. Loved it, myself. 30-33 dealt with amnesiac Namor and Doom.

AVENGERS INVADERS #3 -- a confusing mini-series, but this issue focuses on Namor, TWO OF THEM! It's time displaced Golden Age Namor meets Modern Namor. And look at that awesome cover by Alex Ross.

DARK REIGN THE LIST X-MEN -- it's all Namor and tells how the Atlaneans came to be living under Utopia. It has some head scratchers as far plot logic, but it's got some nice interactions with the X-Men, a fantastic panel with Marrina that still makes me get teary eyed, and it's also got awesome Alan Davis art.

I wish there was a Gillen X-men Namor issue, but there's basically a bunch of awesome scenes spread out over most of his issues. There is a Gillen short story in DARK REIGN THE CABAL, with art by Carmine DiGiamonecio, so I'd recommend that instead.

NAMOR THE FIRST MUTANT vol. 1 CURSE OF THE MUTANTS -- behind the less than effective sea vampires idea, is some great character interaction, history and motivation revealed. I also think single issue #5 is awesome, delivering a flawed, Namor, but explaining his attraction.

FANTASTIC FOUR 584-587 -- Hickman's first take on Namor, on a political mission with Sue. The ending was confusing / a head scratcher, but otherwise pretty good. It does have other plotlines running through the issue, showing what the other FF members are doing at this time.

FANTASTIC FOUR 1234 -- not Namor centric, but when he appears, he's burning up the page. Jae Lee art and Grant Morrison trippy poetry.

MARVEL FANFARE 16 & 43 -- Mike Mignola and P.Craig Russell draw Namor, do I need to say any more? How about Pirate Namor? Or Namor saves a horse?

MARVEL MASTERWORKS ATLAS HEROES vol. 3 -- which is all Golden Age / Atomic Age Namor, and probably the best drawn of Bill Everett's Namor work. Namor's pretty laid back in them -- but worth it for the kid Namor stories alone.
    Last edited by Rheged; 07-02-2014 at 09:27 PM.

BANNED

Had to post the cover for this recommendation in another post, cause of CBR's image limit. I wish they had made THIS a poster.

It's an homage to this classic piece by Bill Everett.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Omega View Post
    I've always been on the fence about Namor, except when he's with the Invaders. But since the NA started I've gained new respect for him
    Welcome to the thread, Doc Omega! And it is fitting that you should be on the fence with Namor, as he's a character that is constantly torn between two worlds.

I'd recommend the Hickman FF issues I mentioned previously, if you like Namor in New Avengers. Or SUB-MARINER REVOLUTION. Though I think that's a bit extreme for the Namor I know and love.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    You are amazing, and I love you for it.
    Awww, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    I recommend Namor Dark X-men and stopping right before AvX. As for the present I wish we could see more the state of his kingdom.
    Ah, yes, how could I forget about Dark X-Men the Beginning? With this barely sub-text laden splash page?

Also, awesome Jae Lee Namor cover.

I agree, there's some good stuff there, but not much that is Namor centric or mostly Namor in one issue. Oh wait, I forgot about ESCAPE FROM THE NEGATIVE ZONE, but while there's plenty of Namor there, it's Crazy Namor. He is MOST impressive, feat wise, there, though.

Must go pick up my comics. Will try to catch up this evening.
    Last edited by Rheged; 07-02-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Welcome to the thread, Chia Head (and Shadowcat)!

Stern did so some cool thing with Namor in the Avengers. I was happy to see that issue where you had folks protesting his joining the group. Plus, I'm always a sucker for good interaction with Neptune. And Namor and Herc are just GOLD together. I'll never forget Herc giving Namor 'the gift.' LOL! All that said, I wasn't a big fan of h his relationship with Marrina, so I was glad when Walt Simonson got rid of it.

A lot of folks love the Bryne mini, and the art, no doubt is stellar. Overall, I enjoyed it, and it was a cool concept, but I can't say I liked some of Byrne's theories about Namor. The whole blood imbalance annoys the heck out of me, and him and Namora being sterile was even worse -- plus led to making a clone of Namorita! I actually preferred the Harras and Jae Lee arc afterwards, which was a dark fantasy vibe. Loved that!

As others have said, the newest stuff with Namor is All New Invaders (which I recommend) and New Avengers (which is finally picking back up.) He had a cameo in Robinson's Fantastic Four. But I think that's it. It's been a few months, but by all means, avoid Namor's appearance in Superior Spider-Man Team Up. Horrible stuff.
    Thanks for the Welcome, Rheged!

Oh I adore Namore and Herc, I also liked the careful admiration between Cap and Namor that grew into friendship again in that run. Though, I liked some bits of Namor and Marina I too think it wasn't able to be interesting ultimately and was best that it ended. That issue of AF sort of made it obnoxious. I agree about the Byrne series, I also liked it in general but like you certain developments did not sit with me and the Jae Lee arc was awesome. Though I know Lee's art is grating for some. Loving the scans and art here. I got some great Namor stuff too, perhaps I can contribute something that hasn't been later. I even have some old Severin issues from way back that maybe I can post. Stingray was a character I really liked working off of Namor. Not sure what ever happened to him, though since Avengers. Thanks for the recs and the warnings. :-D

Lot of good stuff you shared Rheged.

I was disappointed that the FF 100th anniversary issue didn't mention Namor at all. It was a fun issue but would have been better if they included him due to all that history.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Had to post the cover for this recommendation in another post, cause of CBR's image limit. I wish they had made THIS a poster.

It's an homage to this classic piece by Bill Everett.

Damn I love Alex Ross (despite being a diva). Just gorgeous. And that Bill Everett piece is awesome but then I'm not surprised considering who drew it.

Wow, Rheged! Thank you!

And you know I love Everett. And that Avengers Invaders cover is awesome.
    And all those reads!
    I NEED that Avengers Invaders #3. How much do the two differ, in any way, from each other? A young Namor vs. an older, more wise and more experienced Namor. I bet it's pretty amazing.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Wow, Rheged! Thank you!

And you know I love Everett. And that Avengers Invaders cover is awesome.
    And all those reads!
    I NEED that Avengers Invaders #3. How much do the two differ, in any way, from each other? A young Namor vs. an older, more wise and more experienced Namor. I bet it's pretty amazing.
    That's pretty much the difference. Young Namor is the angry young man of the Golden Age, who sees things more in black and white. Present Namor is a king who understands things are rarely black and white. Young Namor wants to help his fellow Invaders who have been captured by the Avengers (who Namor thinks are Nazis), and goes looking for the Atlanteans.

Both Namors are great, but Present Namor shows quite clearly that he's perceptive, cunning, and yet again, a great actor. It is indeed, an amazing read. Though ...I don't remember Namor being so red in the print copy.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/q...aders__013.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/q...aders__014.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/q...aders__015.jpg
    Last edited by Rheged; 07-02-2014 at 09:56 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Lot of good stuff you shared Rheged.

I was disappointed that the FF 100th anniversary issue didn't mention Namor at all. It was a fun issue but would have been better if they included him due to all that history.
    Me too! It would have been wild if Namor was still alive and ageless. But it wouldn't have fit within the story they were telling.

Always happy to share the Namor goodness.

Anyone could be a hero. Zukahnaut's Avatar

I love this thread and everybody in it. Long live Namor!
    ZUKAHNAUT is a comic. It's online, it's free, and I like it. You might too!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zukahnaut View Post
    I love this thread and everybody in it. Long live Namor!
    Here, here!

What a great first post. Glad to hear you are enjoying the thread. Are you a new fan of Namor's?

Anyone could be a hero. Zukahnaut's Avatar

Here, here!

What a great first post. Glad to hear you are enjoying the thread. Are you a new fan of Namor's?
    Oh, no. I've been a fan since I was a little kid! I started with the John Byrne series and worked my way backwards while staying abreast on his more recent adventures over the years. Easily one of Marvels most overlooked pioneers -- Bill Everett was a creative juggernaut and the fact we're all still talking about his character today truly attests to that!

First comic book anti-hero, first comic book character to fly, first mutant, Clint Eastwood's favourite superhero... I found out so many amazing things as I went back through his history. The Nazis once hatched an evil plan to steal his swimming trunks! That's what I call entertaining comics!
    ZUKAHNAUT is a comic. It's online, it's free, and I like it. You might too!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chia Head View Post
    Thanks for the Welcome, Rheged!

Oh I adore Namor and Herc, I also liked the careful admiration between Cap and Namor that grew into friendship again in that run. Though, I liked some bits of Namor and Marina I too think it wasn't able to be interesting ultimately and was best that it ended. That issue of AF sort of made it obnoxious. I agree about the Byrne series, I also liked it in general but like you certain developments did not sit with me and the Jae Lee arc was awesome. Though I know Lee's art is grating for some. Loving the scans and art here. I got some great Namor stuff too, perhaps I can contribute something that hasn't been later. I even have some old Severin issues from way back that maybe I can post. Stingray was a character I really liked working off of Namor. Not sure what ever happened to him, though since Avengers. Thanks for the recs and the warnings. :-D
    Namor and Herc are just awesome together. They were great together, and far more antagonistic, in Pak and Van Lente's 'Love and War' arc in INCREDIBLE HERCULES. There was so much fun in that arc, especially with Namora thrown into the mix.

It's funny to see how Namor and Cap's relationship is portrayed through the decades. In AVENGERS #4, they didn't even recognize each other. In he AVENGERS DEFENDERS WAR they were pretty snippy with each other, but at least remembered they'd fought in WWII. Of course, when Roy Thomas retconned in the Invaders, their relationship became a lot closer. But it's still gone back and forth a bit, depending on the writer. Personally, more than Cap, I tend to think of Namor and Jim being more friends, and with the resurrection of Bucky, I'm loving how they interact.

Byrne's Namor was a bit too laid back for me. I think Namor is a bit unpredictable, not because of an oxygen imbalance, but because of his royal background, he has a temper, and because he's a sea creature, descended from Neptune. I also LOVED that Jae Lee arc. Even though the art is very much 90s, it was unique, with his use of heavy inks and black silhouettes -- very graphic. And definitely a startling contrast to John Bryne's work. The storyline, dark fantasy with myths and ancient evils, appealed to more also. The stuff with Princess Fen was heartbreaking.

That would be wonderful! Always love seeing Namor art, and talking about the stories, especially the older stuff. I love Marie Severin. I think she's very underrated. Did she create Stingray with Roy Thomas? I'm pretty sure she did his first appearance issue -- not the Walt Newell first appearance, which was back in TALES TO ASTONISH, IIRC. Regardless, Stingray's costume design is fantastic. Like Tiger Shark, it's practically unchanged, and they both look great. He really hasn't been used much since the Avengers. I want to say he was in the later issues of the 90s Namor series. Someone posted here a great page with him and Namor from the last incarnation of Heroes For Hire. I think that was the last thing he was in. I'd love to see him, and Diane Arliss Newell in a new Namor book... or anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Chia Head View Post
    Damn I love Alex Ross (despite being a diva). Just gorgeous. And that Bill Everett piece is awesome but then I'm not surprised considering who drew it.
    Yes, indeed. Alex Ross has done some nice Namor pieces. He has changed how he's drawn Namor over the years. Originally he drew him somewhat sleek in MARVELS, but more recently in INVADERS NOW, he was much more stocky. While he has put Namor on several of his Marvel 75th Anniversary covers, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll do one featuring Golden Age Namor and Torch. I'll have to see if I can find that scan of his Namor sketches for MARVELS.
    Last edited by Rheged; 07-03-2014 at 01:35 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zukahnaut View Post
    Oh, no. I've been a fan since I was a little kid! I started with the John Byrne series and worked my way backwards while staying abreast on his more recent adventures over the years. Easily one of Marvels most overlooked pioneers -- Bill Everett was a creative juggernaut and the fact we're all still talking about his character today truly attests to that!

First comic book anti-hero, first comic book character to fly, first mutant, Clint Eastwood's favourite superhero... I found out so many amazing things as I went back through his history. The Nazis once hatched an evil plan to steal his swimming trunks! That's what I call entertaining comics!
    LOL! That sounds like some Golden Age goodness! And to think, Marvel editorial has succeeded where the Nazis' failed, and they've stolen Namor's green swimsuit!

Couldn't agree more on Bill Everett! He was amazing, and also seriously underrated. Have you got Blake Bell's book on Bill Everett, Namor and creation of Marvel Comics? Great stuff, and tons of art!

Yep. I've been a fan since I was a kid too. I've wandered away from comics a few times, but when I hear about Namor getting a new book or mini-series, I am immediately dragged back in.