Page 597 of 631 FirstFirst ... 97497547587593594595596597598599600601607 ... LastLast
Results 8,941 to 8,955 of 9460
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Very sad to hear the news about Stan Lee. I wish I had my books, so I could read some of my favorite Stan Lee Namor stories.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Bleeding Cool had plenty of spoilers for Avengers #10 / 700 tomorrow. They actually name the Defenders of the Deeps. Turns out the creepy old man is really a woman, Bloodtide.

This is what she originally looked like.

There's some spoilers about the issue, including some good news, and another picture with Namor showing him part of future events. I'm not too happy at two things I read, but I guess I'll find out more tomorrow. If you want to read them here's the link.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11...eams-spoilers/
    Last edited by Reviresco; 11-13-2018 at 07:57 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Very sad to hear the news about Stan Lee. I wish I had my books, so I could read some of my favorite Stan Lee Namor stories.
    I was sad as well, if you ever do have a chance to share please do. I know that without Stan, Namor probably would have never made it out of the golden age.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I was sad as well, if you ever do have a chance to share please do. I know that without Stan, Namor probably would have never made it out of the golden age.
    There's no doubt that Stan, and alot of the Silver Age greats, liked Namor. I think older comic fans liked the character too. When FF and X-Men and Avengers debuted, Namor was far more famous than any of those characters to comic fans. Probably why he guest starred in so many early Silver Age books.

I think Fantastic Four Annual 1, for all it's flaws, was a great Stan Lee Namor story. Plus most of the Tales to Astonish -- The Quest was alot of fun.

Mighty Member

Been really sad about loosing Stan Lee since yesterday, almost feels like I lost a family member. Today I got Avengers #700 along with the Alex Ross poster for that issue at my LCS. It was a great read and great artwork. I love Marquez art even though I think his Namor is totally off with that new look. Ed McGuinness is the seasoned veteran powerhouse he has always been and it shows in how his Namor looks older than Marquez version even with the new costume. McGuinness makes subtle corrections like making the hairdo less puffy and more in control and Namor like, also as his figures are more massive it ages Namor a bit so he looks more like Namor.

SPOILERS

Also Stingray is not dead. By Captain America he survived the attack although he is not shown in the story. The story starts with Namor attacking Hydrobase when the Avengers shows up and then the Winter Guard comes after Namor too, so at a point in the battle Namor decides to retreat. Captain America states at one point to General Ross that they don't work for the US government so the story ends with Ross talking to Agent Coulson and greeting the Squadron Supreme which supposedly will work for the US government, but this Squadron Supreme looks like the original one and is presented as the "Squadron Supreme of America". So not sure if this is the same Hyperion that beheaded Namor in the SS title or another one but I'm hopeful that gets addressed and he goes against Namor at certain point in the future. Don't know how relevant will be Namor in future Avengers comics or if his story will simply continue in the Defenders and the Invaders title in January. Hopefully the rematch against Hyperion will be something that happens in the future in the Avengers or Invaders title.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Been really sad about loosing Stan Lee since yesterday, almost feels like I lost a family member.
    It does. But for most of us, he and his work have been a part of our childhoods. And he's been around all my life. It is sort of like losing a long distance uncle or grandparent.

Today I got Avengers #700 along with the Alex Ross poster for that issue at my LCS. It was a great read and great artwork. I love Marquez art even though I think his Namor is totally off with that new look. Ed McGuinness is the seasoned veteran powerhouse he has always been and it shows in how his Namor looks older than Marquez version even with the new costume. McGuinness makes subtle corrections like making the hairdo less puffy and more in control and Namor like, also as his figures are more massive it ages Namor a bit so he looks more like Namor.
    I forgot about that Alex Ross poster. Nice!

McGuinness' Namor does look quite different from Marquez. I like how he does the edges of the armor, it looks more organic, like it is some sort of coral or shells.

IIRC, Ed McGuinness is a big John Buscema fan, and his version of Namor. He usually draws him with the slicked back, bullet head.

Here's a great progression of inking by Mark Morales.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqKyNrWn...on_share_sheet

SPOILERS

Also Stingray is not dead. By Captain America he survived the attack although he is not shown in the story. The story starts with Namor attacking Hydrobase when the Avengers shows up and then the Winter Guard comes after Namor too, so at a point in the battle Namor decides to retreat. Captain America states at one point to General Ross that they don't work for the US government so the story ends with Ross talking to Agent Coulson and greeting the Squadron Supreme which supposedly will work for the US government, but this Squadron Supreme looks like the original one and is presented as the "Squadron Supreme of America". So not sure if this is the same Hyperion that beheaded Namor in the SS title or another one but I'm hopeful that gets addressed and he goes against Namor at certain point in the future. Don't know how relevant will be Namor in future Avengers comics or if his story will simply continue in the Defenders and the Invaders title in January. Hopefully the rematch against Hyperion will be something that happens in the future in the Avengers or Invaders title.
    Yes! The best news I heard from the reviews. Still haven't picked up my issue to read yet. But Hydrobase??? Isn't that Stingray and Diane Arliss' home? What is going on?

And one of the things I didn't want to see, Squadron Supreme. Please no. Just no.

I think that Namor will be part of future Avengers, judging from that last page with Wolverine Phoenix and the War of Realms promo. Now, if that's a good thing? I don't know. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 11-14-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Mighty Member

Here's a great progression of inking by Mark Morales.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BqKyNrWn...on_share_sheet
    Wow, so awesome! Thanks for linking this.

SPOILERS

But Hydrobase??? Isn't that Stingray and Diane Arliss' home? What is going on?
    He was basically telling them that no surface dweller is entitled to mess with the ocean. Not even the ones protecting it I guess.

And one of the things I didn't want to see, Squadron Supreme. Please no. Just no.
    At least with the power levels shown this Namor will probably fare better in a fight against Hyperion although honestly he didn't seem so formidable this issue. A couple of Winter Guard god characters were able to momentarily stun him in the middle of the fight. I have a problem with Namor also killing some of his own monsters as he was retreating as an act of rage, again that act seemed very un-Namor. Namor has never been this savage and cruel to his own creatures. That's the panel you show Morales inking.

I think that Namor will be part of future Avengers, judging from that last page with Wolverine Phoenix and the War of Realms promo. Now, if that's a good thing? I don't know. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Well if it is drawn by McGuinness I'm all for it, I think his Namor is one of the best I've seen even with bad costumes.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 11-15-2018 at 09:53 AM.

I'm glad you guys are so positive on the potential Namor being written well. In truth I'm a bit pessimistic at this point with Namor being jobbed and written so poorly for so long.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I'm just waiting for the Defenders and Invaders books to come out, I always feel that Namor does better when he isn't with the Avengers, (except for that one time when Steve asked him to join) but I love his relationship with Hercules. lol

His eyes were still black, I've been speculating that something else is going on that we aren't aware of yet?

namor avengers 10.jpg

As for Namor being a part of the future events, I have a big feeling it will just be him as a background character so it won't really effect him, just like x-men red.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Wow, so awesome! Thanks for linking this.
    Glad you liked it. I love seeing the process of comic creation.

He was basically telling them that no surface dweller is entitled to mess with the ocean. Not even the ones protecting it I guess.

At least with the power levels shown this Namor will probably fare better in a fight against Hyperion although honestly he didn't seem so formidable this issue. A couple of Winter Guard god characters were able to momentarily stun him in the middle of the fight. I have a problem with Namor also killing some of his own monsters as he was retreating as an act of rage, again that act seemed very un-Namor. Namor has never been this savage and cruel to his own creatures. That's the panel you show Morales inking.

Well if it is drawn by McGuinness I'm all for it, I think his Namor is one of the best I've seen even with bad costumes.

I can think of hundreds of other places that are messing with the ocean in a far more negative manner than Hydrobase. Diane is going to be so ticked when she finally confronts Namor. ;p

I have understood the fascination with the JL knock offs. I didn't care for them even before the Robinson mess. Now, I hope I never see them again. Still haven't gotten my issue, so I can't really comment on the fight. But at least it isn't happening underwater, right?

Wasn't he pulling the Piranhas off of some kids or something?

I thought you might like McGuinness Namor best.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I'm glad you guys are so positive on the potential Namor being written well. In truth I'm a bit pessimistic at this point with Namor being jobbed and written so poorly for so long.
    Well, I wouldn't say positive precise. Resignedly hopeful, perhaps.

Mighty Member

Still haven't gotten my issue, so I can't really comment on the fight. But at least it isn't happening underwater, right?

Wasn't he pulling the Piranhas off of some kids or something?
    You are more observant than me, and I even bought the issue. I checked again and yes, Namor seemed to have saved a couple stranded in the middle of the flooded Hydrobase when destroying the giant humanoid Piranhas, even then he seems very reckless as the monsters were brought there by him. And the fight was not underwater although the entire Hydrobase was flooded so I imagine there was enough water for Namor to have kept hydrated.

Well, I wouldn't say positive precise. Resignedly hopeful, perhaps.
    Yes, couldn't have said it better.

You are more observant than me, and I even bought the issue. I checked again and yes, Namor seemed to have saved a couple stranded in the middle of the flooded Hydrobase when destroying the giant humanoid Piranhas, even then he seems very reckless as the monsters were brought there by him. And the fight was not underwater although the entire Hydrobase was flooded so I imagine there was enough water for Namor to have kept hydrated.
    Still haven't got my issue.

But I'm going to try and pick it up tonight. I've been scanning for spoilers and images online, though. The only mutated Piranha I remember were from a 70s Sub-Mariner book, and they were Men-Fish, IIRC, and more controllable. But this whole group is reckless. I really don't see normal Namor working with these guys at all. And TBH, it doesn't say much for his so-called friend, Cap, or his former allies, that they don't recognize that. Or the fact that he has blacked out eyes, which he has never had before. Not an observant bunch for an alleged smart bunch. Stingray, at least, seemed to realize this wasn't the Namor he knew --- though a little late.

Hydrated Namor is pretty powerful. But I still say, underwater gives him even more of an advantage, that most writers don't acknowledge.

Al Ewing does a short interview about the Defenders Best Defense mini. Not much about Namor, but he says Joe Bennett's "Namor is a treat." Plus we get to see it! I like it. And the creature is awsome!

Is that Namor riding Surfer's board? And coated with silver?

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...e-best-defense

Those mid '60s Marvel cartoons [Cap-Hulk-Iron Man-Thor-Namor]. I watched and liked them all to varying degrees, but I liked the Namor one best.

Mighty Member

Al Ewing does a short interview about the Defenders Best Defense mini. Not much about Namor, but he says Joe Bennett's "Namor is a treat." Plus we get to see it! I like it. And the creature is awsome!

Is that Namor riding Surfer's board? And coated with silver?

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...e-best-defense

Wow, love this art, I'm glad Namor is being used as a foreground character again finally.