Page 10 of 631 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110510 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    It's just not a fun book. And, I don't know, I won't say it's BAD because that's too judgmental, but for me, I am finding I like my books a little lighter.
    I don't mind bad guys and bad situations, but I kind of want them to end within an issue or two, 5 at max.
    I feel like the longer these stories are dragged out, the more my interest is lost.
    I really like Hickman's Fantastic Four & FF, but I read both AFTER they were 100% complete . . . I started reading his Avengers stuff after it had been out for a while too. I think he writes some fascinating stories, but what's cool about them is the way the plots shake out, I don't generally see enough super strong character work in there for him to hold me. Remender does superb work with long game, big plot point stories too, but, like Claremont before him, he also does really strong character work. I don't really get that out of Hickman unfortunately. I guess I'll just have to catch up on his post-Infinity Avengers stuff at a future date.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    I thought it was decades ago, but maybe it was during Avengers/Invaders. I was longing for a story where he would join Namor & Dr. Nemesis on Utopia (back before the Schism) for a bit of a Golden Age reunion. I even could imagine a situation where Steve, Buck & Jim would join Namor & Toro alongside the X-Men to challenge Osborn and the remainder of his Cabal during Dark Reign. Ah, what might have been . . .
    It may have been Decades ago I'm not sure, Ah that would have been awesome to see Toro joining the X-men on Utopia I really like that idea for a Golden Age reunion Dr. Nemesis needs more done with him he's such an interesting character, I like how they retconned him to being Involved in the creation of the Original Human Torch.

I think the Inhumans popping up bothers me because I feel like Marvel won't focus on the Royal Family who are all characters who have been underused and could stand to be in the spotlight more, their concept is also strong enough to stand on it's own rather than changing it to X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I was thinking it was during the Torch mini-series, cause Toro had been dead since Subby 14, and he wasn't resurrected until Avengers / Invaders, IIRC.

We didn't get Toro on Utopia, but we did get Jim Hammond, in INVADERS NOW!

Sadly, no Dr. Nemesis interaction. Though I really thought Si Spurrier was going to do so in X-Club -- where we did get an Invaders flashback. WHY Namor didn't play a role in that mini-series, is beyond me. I'd have LOVED to see some more primo scenes with Dr. Nemesis and his Starfish Companion and Namor.
    Anole and Rockslide being fans of Jim Hammond is such a cool thing to see as they're some of my favorite newer X-men. Poor Jim, Marvel pushed him out the spotlight by letting Johnny take on his name I remember both Jim and Johnny have interacted once before but it would be fun to see them team up more.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Well, doo doo. I don't read Remender's Cap and I'm not interested in that at all. I heard there was some Fury goodness in that first issue. Must find some time to read!

I have found code trading to be pretty awesome. It's the closest thing to the trading comics I did as a kid. Folks also trade the hardcover codes, if you have any of those. But yes, definitely look it up when you start back on floppies.

If it's anything close to Brubaker's MAN WITHOUT A FACE arc, which it sort of sounds like plotwise, I'll be a happy camper.
    As I went to my LCS on FCBD, I got a 20% off coupon for this week which I used this morning for All New Invaders 1-4. I also pre-ordered 7 too. I will look into the code thread too.

Yeah, Bru's Man without a Face arc was amazing. If Robertson comes even half way close to that I will also be very happy.

I hope to read these issues asap.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

BANNED

I just cannot be bothered with reading anything other than Namor in that book.
    I just do not care about it. hahaha
    The longer the series goes on the more I feel the same way.
    It's definitely fallen off my favorite book list, since it's been about characters I don't know or care about it, and Namor hasn't been around to liven things up. I want to read about the Illuminati, and Namor and Dr. Strange in particular, and Atlantis. I actually resent the pages spent on these new guys, when we can't get a single page on Atlantis. And don't get me started on Dr. Strange.

It's just not a fun book. And, I don't know, I won't say it's BAD because that's too judgmental, but for me, I am finding I like my books a little lighter.
    I don't mind bad guys and bad situations, but I kind of want them to end within an issue or two, 5 at max.
    I feel like the longer these stories are dragged out, the more my interest is lost.
    It is a dark book, which I'm fine with, as I find the moral dilemma their in to be fascinating. But I get it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I really like Hickman's Fantastic Four & FF, but I read both AFTER they were 100% complete . . . I started reading his Avengers stuff after it had been out for a while too. I think he writes some fascinating stories, but what's cool about them is the way the plots shake out, I don't generally see enough super strong character work in there for him to hold me. Remender does superb work with long game, big plot point stories too, but, like Claremont before him, he also does really strong character work. I don't really get that out of Hickman unfortunately. I guess I'll just have to catch up on his post-Infinity Avengers stuff at a future date.
    I read Hickman's FF run while it was coming out, and it was great except near the end when he dropped everything to seed the Avengers stuff. I thought it had plenty of character work, especially with the kids and Reed. There were some great moments for Johnny too, though, yes, overall it was plot heavy. It did seem a book he lavished alot of attention on.

Avengers, OTOH, started great, but it seems to me he's got too much on his plate and is phoning stuff in, much like Bendis did at the end of his Avengers run.

See, I'm the opposite. With Remender, I find his characters either unrecognizable or flat, and his plots just don't grab me. I also don't care for his odd romances and his tendency to kill off characters. Secret Avengers was annoying and heart breaking in a bad way.

BANNED

Those don't usually work out well, do they?
    I am thinking of Son of M. Most of the mutants exposed to the mist either got sick, lost their powers, or had really bad things happen to them, IIRC, yes?
    Didn't remember that, but that's a good point. Probably one that will be forgotten. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBlueElf View Post
    It may have been Decades ago I'm not sure, Ah that would have been awesome to see Toro joining the X-men on Utopia I really like that idea for a Golden Age reunion Dr. Nemesis needs more done with him he's such an interesting character, I like how they retconned him to being Involved in the creation of the Original Human Torch.
    Hmmmm. I'd forgotten that. I wonder if Robinson will have him guest star? I love Dr. Nemesis. He's so much snarky fun.

I think the Inhumans popping up bothers me because I feel like Marvel won't focus on the Royal Family who are all characters who have been underused and could stand to be in the spotlight more, their concept is also strong enough to stand on it's own rather than changing it to X-men.
    I have lots of problems with the hidden Inhumans and the retcons, and yes! We don't get enough of the royal family, why are they bringing in all these other characters?

Anole and Rockslide being fans of Jim Hammond is such a cool thing to see as they're some of my favorite newer X-men. Poor Jim, Marvel pushed him out the spotlight by letting Johnny take on his name I remember both Jim and Johnny have interacted once before but it would be fun to see them team up more.
    IIRC, Robinson said they would meet up, though I'm not sure if it will be in FF or Invaders. He said to watch for the music manager in Invaders ... I'm wondering if he's also Radiance's manager?

I did think Anole and Rockslide were hilarious in that scene. "Mr. Sub-Mariner" indeed. LOL!

Didn't remember that, but that's a good point. Probably one that will be forgotten. LOL!
    It's Marvel, so it's most likely.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Just curious, if Marvel did a Sub-Mariner movie, who would you want as Namor, and also what story line would you use?

I read Hickman's FF run while it was coming out, and it was great except near the end when he dropped everything to seed the Avengers stuff. I thought it had plenty of character work, especially with the kids and Reed. There were some great moments for Johnny too, though, yes, overall it was plot heavy. It did seem a book he lavished alot of attention on.

Avengers, OTOH, started great, but it seems to me he's got too much on his plate and is phoning stuff in, much like Bendis did at the end of his Avengers run.

See, I'm the opposite. With Remender, I find his characters either unrecognizable or flat, and his plots just don't grab me. I also don't care for his odd romances and his tendency to kill off characters. Secret Avengers was annoying and heart breaking in a bad way.
    I agree to disagree on Remender (I find his Flash Thompson especially relatable and I really feel for Steve, Alex & Jan in his current work), though thinking about it you're right about Hickman's characterization in the FF books. He really defined Val & Franklin especially. And BENTLEY! I adore that little monster. I stand by my belief that plot is completely driving his Avengers stuff and character is living in the spare tire compartment in the trunk in those books. Cool stuff conceptually, but . . . I don't know, I think it will read better as a block of story.

BANNED

I agree to disagree on Remender (I find his Flash Thompson especially relatable and I really feel for Steve, Alex & Jan in his current work), though thinking about it you're right about Hickman's characterization in the FF books. He really defined Val & Franklin especially. And BENTLEY! I adore that little monster. I stand by my belief that plot is completely driving his Avengers stuff and character is living in the spare tire compartment in the trunk in those books. Cool stuff conceptually, but . . . I don't know, I think it will read better as a block of story.
    I agree. Hickman's Avengers will read better in trade. And for the most part, it's mostly plot. There was a few issues where there was some character work with Hyperion and Smasher, and some would argue Black Panther, Namor and Thor, but overall, plot driven. But the run certainly isn't as good as his Fantastic Four run.

Well, you aren't alone in your assessment of Remender. Given his sales, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority with my dislike of his work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Just curious, if Marvel did a Sub-Mariner movie, who would you want as Namor, and also what story line would you use?
    That's definitely food for thought. Invariably, the first movie tends to be the origin movie, but Namor's got a pretty succinct origin -- "I was born awesome." LOL! Will get back with you on this.

Casting Namor would be extremely difficult and requires an actor with chops, a flair for dramatic dialog, and sheer physical presence and sex appeal. And then there's getting into the costume. I've found a few folks who might look the part, but I don't think could act the part. In the end, I'd rather a great actor, who could be made to sort of look the part.

Here's two guys I had considered, but they probably couldn't do a young Namor.

MANU BENNETT -- who clearly has no problem with the attitude or the speedo costume.

BANNED

arrrgh. CBR's 3 image limit!

Here's the other guy:

TAHMOH PENIKETT

arrrgh. CBR's 3 image limit!

Here's the other guy:

TAHMOH PENIKETT
    YES! HELO!!!!! My favorite. He was pretty great in Dollhouse, too. I love that image from the Marvel's Project too.

As far as storyline goes I seem to recall it being suggested on the old thread that it should be a trilogy if that shapes any opinions.

BANNED

YES! HELO!!!!! My favorite. He was pretty great in Dollhouse, too. I love that image from the Marvel's Project too.
    I'm not sure about his acting chops, as I've only seen him in a few things, and not Battlestar (it's on my to be watched list). But what I've seen he can do INTENSE, which is a must for Namor. And he's pretty. <wink> What's also cool is he's biracial, so he'd get that important aspect from experience.

Another guy I considered who fits all that, is Wentworth Miller.

As far as storyline goes I seem to recall it being suggested on the old thread that it should be a trilogy if that shapes any opinions.
    At LEAST three movies.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Well, you aren't alone in your assessment of Remender. Given his sales, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority with my dislike of his work.
    Another in the minority here.

That's definitely food for thought. Invariably, the first movie tends to be the origin movie, but Namor's got a pretty succinct origin -- "I was born awesome." LOL! Will get back with you on this.

Casting Namor would be extremely difficult and requires an actor with chops, a flair for dramatic dialog, and sheer physical presence and sex appeal. And then there's getting into the costume. I've found a few folks who might look the part, but I don't think could act the part. In the end, I'd rather a great actor, who could be made to sort of look the part.

Here's two guys I had considered, but they probably couldn't do a young Namor.

MANU BENNETT -- who clearly has no problem with the attitude or the speedo costume.

LOL - "Born awesome!" Yup, that's Namor.

Manu would be terrific for Namor, although your second choice looks like him. That's a tough call.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

BANNED

Those don't usually work out well, do they?
    I am thinking of Son of M. Most of the mutants exposed to the mist either got sick, lost their powers, or had really bad things happen to them, IIRC, yes?
    Maybe he's like how Quicksilver got those stupid Inhuman Powers to time travel into the Future lol.

Jesus Christ was Decimation terrible.