Page 110 of 631 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160210610 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 9460
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    depends on the strength of the solo..his track record is'nt exactly spotless in them
    as someone who's been around as long as him, who's been involved in the MU as much as him, he definitely needs a renaissance.

an atlantean inhuman?
    i prefer him as a mutant but if compromising that leads to easier transition then with a heavy heart, i'd agree to it.
    I'm probably the same way, but even though I think it's not a good idea, as it smacks of sellout. And it does turn some fans off completely. There were both X-fans and non-X-fans who didn't like Namor being a mutant, much less being in the X-books -- so he lost readers from both groups.

i mean out of namor's female supporting cast, she's not the most famous or marketable compared to lady dorma or marrina..which could make her slip out of the rights issue
    i'd prefer her to be a regular cop too..one with the ability to tame a young namor
    I'm betting young Namor would have something to say about that, but he sure did do a lot of things Betty asked him to. ;P
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Speaking of next solo book ...

I remember reading somewhere here or the old CBR thread, that Namor could work in a variety of genres, like fantasy, pulp, sci-fi, war, romance etc. I tend to agree with that, but was wondering what genre do you think his next book should be?

Secondly, going back to Spear of Bashenga's question, sort of, do you think it has to tie into major events / franchises? Or can it do it's own thing without being called Aquatic Avenger?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel 616 Politics spotlighted Namor for their 616 Interviews feature. Check out his interview here and check them out on Facebook here!

Quote Originally Posted by WTHIOTina View Post
    Marvel 616 Politics spotlighted Namor for their 616 Interviews feature. Check out his interview here and check them out on Facebook here!
    Hmmm. I may have to agree with the interviewer and they were running out of ideas. : ) Cute article, and always nice to see Namor on another site. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Hmmm. I may have to agree with the interviewer and they were running out of ideas. : ) Cute article, and always nice to see Namor on another site. Thanks for sharing.
    Did NOT write that one. And as our site's resident Namor enthusiast I was not super crazy about it.

I would have a problem with Namor being turned into an Inhuman. It doesn't just impact the source of his powers, it would significantly affect other aspects of the character as well. For on e thing the bus has sort have been missed on making him one post-terrigen bomb (infinity) stuff which definitely would have affected him if he was an Inhuman and he was never previously exposed to terrigenesis (and when were Namor and Triton ever identified to be biological cousins? please somebody give me an issue number or something). Moreover, Namor being Inhuman would make him a subject of Black Bolt, not an equal king. He is a mutant in the most literal sense in that he is genetically and phenotypically distinct from both of his parents, neither Homo mermanus nor Homo sapien. I don't think Namor needs to be identified with the words mutant nor x-gene to qualify him, nor does that part of him necessarily banish him to the land of FOX cinematic licensing (if anything does that it will be his strong association with the Fantastic Four franchise). Inhumans are functionally a genetically distinct breed of humanity that has the potential to be triggered into expressing suppressed phenotypes by exposure to a chemical catalyst.

I honestly don't want a Namor movie badly enough to deal with making significant changes to the character (and making him subject to the dictates of the Black Bolt, Maximus, Medusa or whoever is in charge of the Inhumans at any given moment would do that). I'd really rather see Namor in a movie disconnected from the MCU or get no movie at all ever than have him be treated as an Inhuman. Oh, and no Ultimate Namor either (a drastically different character).

If Namor did get a feature in the works I'd be okay with it being a [more serious] Disney/Pixar production.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    Did NOT write that one. And as our site's resident Namor enthusiast I was not super crazy about it.
    Yep, I didn't see your name attached, and it was clear to me that those 'interviews' are done tongue firmly in cheek.

I would have a problem with Namor being turned into an Inhuman. It doesn't just impact the source of his powers, it would significantly affect other aspects of the character as well. For on e thing the bus has sort have been missed on making him one post-terrigen bomb (infinity) stuff which definitely would have affected him if he was an Inhuman and he was never previously exposed to terrigenesis (and when were Namor and Triton ever identified to be biological cousins? please somebody give me an issue number or something). Moreover, Namor being Inhuman would make him a subject of Black Bolt, not an equal king. He is a mutant in the most literal sense in that he is genetically and phenotypically distinct from both of his parents, neither Homo mermanus nor Homo sapien. I don't think Namor needs to be identified with the words mutant nor x-gene to qualify him, nor does that part of him necessarily banish him to the land of FOX cinematic licensing (if anything does that it will be his strong association with the Fantastic Four franchise). Inhumans are functionally a genetically distinct breed of humanity that has the potential to be triggered into expressing suppressed phenotypes by exposure to a chemical catalyst.

I honestly don't want a Namor movie badly enough to deal with making significant changes to the character (and making him subject to the dictates of the Black Bolt, Maximus, Medusa or whoever is in charge of the Inhumans at any given moment would do that). I'd really rather see Namor in a movie disconnected from the MCU or get no movie at all ever than have him be treated as an Inhuman. Oh, and no Ultimate Namor either (a drastically different character).

If Namor did get a feature in the works I'd be okay with it being a [more serious] Disney/Pixar production.
    I knew someone that kept insisting that Namor was prime material for animation from Pixar or Disney. I was iffy on that having visions of the Little Mermaid, but a more 'serious' done animated might be interesting. Though, I really would like to see live action.

Which is why I sort of agree with you about, that I'd rather have seen Namor NOT be part of the MCU, and instead have been Universal's superhero 'star' as he deserves to be. There's so much they've robbed Namor of in the MCU already, like his WWII history, the Invaders, discovering Cap, his ties to the Avengers. Just like the games are robbing him of his place, i.e. the Phoenix 5 stuff at Avengers Alliance. It makes me sad. But if Universal were doing it, he'd be the sole focus of the studio, instead of a cog in the wheel.

Good point about being under the rule of Black Bolt and company. Though, I think that Namor and the Atlanteans wouldn't see it that way at all. They'd definitely be one of the 'houses' that saw themselves as independent.

Incredible Member

F' the Inhumans, F' the Mutants.

He's the Avenging Son. The Atlantean Prince. The Lord of the Seven Seas. Emperor of Ocean Floors. Besides that, he's an Invader or a Defender.

What should any of that have to do with mutants, X-Men, Inhumans, Terrigan Mists?

Trying to fit him into those settings is like throwing fitting a square block into a circular hole. It's not needed, and it's not necessary.

You really don't have to try and reinvent the guy to make him a success.

Edit: IMO, Namor would have been better served under a Fantastic Four helmed universe. Something with him, Black Panther, Fantastic Four, maybe Hulk, the Silver Surfer, maybe Doctor Strange, Doom, maybe Captain America etc...

A world of statesmen, of scientists, of warlords and soldiers. None of this persecuted minority stuff, or this mutants in space stuff. As much as I dislike Hickman's writing, the Cabal/Illuminati stuff is the level you would expect him to be playing on.
    Last edited by MrHashasheen; 01-09-2015 at 04:20 PM.

I'm probably the same way, but even though I think it's not a good idea, as it smacks of sellout. And it does turn some fans off completely. There were both X-fans and non-X-fans who didn't like Namor being a mutant, much less being in the X-books -- so he lost readers from both groups.
    i don't really love the idea too but..i dont know man..beggars cant be choosers?
    great question though by spear of bashenga..

I'm betting young Namor would have something to say about that, but he sure did do a lot of things Betty asked him to. ;P
    i think it would translate well on screen this young policewoman who's the only surface dweller this flooder-of-manhattan talks to

Speaking of next solo book ...

I remember reading somewhere here or the old CBR thread, that Namor could work in a variety of genres, like fantasy, pulp, sci-fi, war, romance etc. I tend to agree with that, but was wondering what genre do you think his next book should be?

Secondly, going back to Spear of Bashenga's question, sort of, do you think it has to tie into major events / franchises? Or can it do it's own thing without being called Aquatic Avenger?
    one question i pondered upon was..when bill everett made namor, what niche did he intend him to be in?
    considering at that time comic book genres did'nt really overlap.
    i mean dc at that time batman, is definitely made for pulp, superman for science fiction, wonder woman in fantasy/myth.
    over at atlas/marvel, captain america was created for war comics, ka-zar for the adventure/exploration stories.
    what about namor? is he the first multi-genre character in comics?

for the second question, reading marvel over the past decade, it definitely will tie in to events..
    i do wish namor could do his own thing free from other franchises

Quote Originally Posted by WTHIOTina View Post
    this is hilarious!

i might have just came up with my rap name, imperius stacks!
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

that was one issue i had, being a king is an important part of Namor's character too.
    there can't be 2 inhuman kings and i would'nt want him to be a prince of atlantis but a subject to black bolt either.

although we're not behind this change, i'd say it's not as bad as..turning doom into a programmer :P

[QUOTE=Reviresco;838987]
    I knew someone that kept insisting that Namor was prime material for animation from Pixar or Disney. I was iffy on that having visions of the Little Mermaid, but a more 'serious' done animated might be interesting. Though, I really would like to see live action.

Which is why I sort of agree with you about, that I'd rather have seen Namor NOT be part of the MCU, and instead have been Universal's superhero 'star' as he deserves to be. There's so much they've robbed Namor of in the MCU already, like his WWII history, the Invaders, discovering Cap, his ties to the Avengers. Just like the games are robbing him of his place, i.e. the Phoenix 5 stuff at Avengers Alliance. It makes me sad. But if Universal were doing it, he'd be the sole focus of the studio, instead of a cog in the wheel.
    [QUOTE]

i'd watch an animated undersea adventure with namor in it,have Loa in that too as the 'little mermaid'

that's an interesting perspective on him being the 'star' of universal, he can definitely hold that role down without the other marvel characters

Quote Originally Posted by MrHashasheen View Post

Edit: IMO, Namor would have been better served under a Fantastic Four helmed universe. Something with him, Black Panther, Fantastic Four, maybe Hulk, the Silver Surfer, maybe Doctor Strange, Doom, maybe Captain America etc...

A world of statesmen, of scientists, of warlords and soldiers. None of this persecuted minority stuff, or this mutants in space stuff. As much as I dislike Hickman's writing, the Cabal/Illuminati stuff is the level you would expect him to be playing on.
    a fantastic four namor movie done right is one of my comic book fantasies.
    start by johnny giving him a shave and end it with doom sending the baxter building to space, with namor saving the day.
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHashasheen View Post
    F' the Inhumans, F' the Mutants.

He's the Avenging Son. The Atlantean Prince. The Lord of the Seven Seas. Emperor of Ocean Floors. Besides that, he's an Invader or a Defender.

What should any of that have to do with mutants, X-Men, Inhumans, Terrigan Mists?

Trying to fit him into those settings is like throwing fitting a square block into a circular hole. It's not needed, and it's not necessary.

You really don't have to try and reinvent the guy to make him a success.

Well, as a fan of Namor, of course, I feel the same way for the most part. I do think Namor has always had alienation and being Other as part of the character -- it's what makes him sympathetic. But no, I am not too happy with the idea of 'reinventing' Namor, because he's obviously a success for me, and his concept is strong enough to inspire the creation of other characters. However, facing facts, Namor didn't have much success in his last ongoing -- or in his use in movies and other media. And he hasn't really gotten a story of his own in any of his past 5 team books, to help win new fans.

Of course, part of that is due to the market and part of it is due to Marvel's lack of support, but regardless, at this time, I feel Marvel needs to do something to return Namor to his spot as one of their top sellers. I don't think 'reinvention' is necessarily the solution, Namor has proven himself over 75 years as a great and enduring concept and character, but perhaps 'redefinition.' And a strong creative vision both in the writing and the visuals.

And for God's sake, clear up what ever is keeping him out of other media. It's completely unbelievable to me that Attuma is being used for Atlantis in the animated shows, while Namor is completely absent. WTF??

that was one issue i had, being a king is an important part of Namor's character too.
    there can't be 2 inhuman kings and i would'nt want him to be a prince of atlantis but a subject to black bolt either.

although we're not behind this change, i'd say it's not as bad as..turning doom into a programmer :P

a fantastic four namor movie done right is one of my comic book fantasies.
    start by johnny giving him a shave and end it with doom sending the baxter building to space, with namor saving the day.
    Well, there could be two Inhuman kings -- they sort of need that for political conflict, but I agree, I don't really want Namor hitched to that franchise.

I would definitely watch an FF trilogy of their origin and encounter with Namor, encounter with Doom, and then the first supervillain team up -- if it was done right. That would be awesome.

i don't really love the idea too but..i dont know man..beggars cant be choosers?
    great question though by spear of bashenga.
    Exactly. It's gotten to the point, where we've had to read alot of questionable stuff, if we want to read Namor.

i might have just came up with my rap name, imperius stacks!
    Your rap name, eh? I guess so, since some French guys already took Namor as their rap name.

i'd watch an animated undersea adventure with namor in it,have Loa in that too as the 'little mermaid'

that's an interesting perspective on him being the 'star' of universal, he can definitely hold that role down without the other marvel characters.
    I'd watch an animated undersea adventure with Namor also, cause see above about beggars. LOL! I'd love to see more of Loa in the comics, and she could have a role in an animated show also, but NOT as the Little Mermaid. I also don't want to see Teen Namor either.

And yes, Namor could easily hold down his own franchise -- he has a very storied past, and a great kingdom (underwater world), that everyone but Marvel seems eager to explore. But, it sounds like Universal has given up on the character.

one question i pondered upon was..when bill everett made namor, what niche did he intend him to be in? considering at that time comic book genres did'nt really overlap.
    i mean dc at that time batman, is definitely made for pulp, superman for science fiction, wonder woman in fantasy/myth.
    over at atlas/marvel, captain america was created for war comics, ka-zar for the adventure/exploration stories.
    what about namor? is he the first multi-genre character in comics?

for the second question, reading marvel over the past decade, it definitely will tie in to events..
    i do wish namor could do his own thing free from other franchises
    Chief Jon could probably answer this better than I.

However, there was something I read recently, though I can't remember where, that said Namor was created at the beginning of the superhero comics, when the genre wasn't as set in stone defined. Plus, Bill Everett drew on mythology, and the classics, and exploration news and stories (as well as some darker, more pulp elements) to create Namor. And of course, he was sort of inspired, as many superheroes were, by Superman.

Over the decades, Namor was used in a variety of genres. In the 50s, he and Betty Dean took on giant robots, commies, and space invaders -- all part of the SF / pulp era of that age. In the 60s, Stan Lee put Namor in more fantasy tales, while Roy Thomas added a Lovecraftian tone to some of his stories. In the 90s Byrne put Namor in corporate boardrooms. The character is adaptable, to say the least.

Someone else is thinking of genres Marvel is missing out on! From Tom Brevroot's tumblr.

http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com...rror-and#notes

Q: Marvel struggles in a few genres like Horror and Fantasy (Namely sword and sorcery type stuff) Any plans to attack these genres? Is there any possibility for the old Cross gen fantasy books like Sojurn or Scion getting another look?
    --bringbackrichardrider

Brevroot: Not the Crossgen stuff at the moment, but we do have plans for projects to tackle these genres in 2015.
    It would be awesome if Namor was one of those projects that would easily tackle one (or all) of those genres. Hopeful thinking engaged!

And for God's sake, clear up what ever is keeping him out of other media. It's completely unbelievable to me that Attuma is being used for Atlantis in the animated shows, while Namor is completely absent. WTF??
    how did attuma's rights slip ? wtf is going on

Your rap name, eh? I guess so, since some French guys already took Namor as their rap name.
    it would be one of my names lol!

I'd watch an animated undersea adventure with Namor also, cause see above about beggars. LOL! I'd love to see more of Loa in the comics, and she could have a role in an animated show also, but NOT as the Little Mermaid. I also don't want to see Teen Namor either.

And yes, Namor could easily hold down his own franchise -- he has a very storied past, and a great kingdom (underwater world), that everyone but Marvel seems eager to explore. But, it sounds like Universal has given up on the character.
    animated films/series are still a niche neither company has clear dominance over the other..doing a namor one will kill two birds with one stone
    lol i dont want to see her as such or a teen namor either!

i can't say universal has given up..cos they didnt even try

Someone else is thinking of genres Marvel is missing out on! From Tom Brevroot's tumblr.

http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com...rror-and#notes

It would be awesome if Namor was one of those projects that would easily tackle one (or all) of those genres. Hopeful thinking engaged!
    horror could be interesting..if he tag teams with dr strange, that could set up the return of the original defenders line up again..

how did attuma's rights slip ? wtf is going on
    I don't know. It's beyond ridiculous. I need to find some contact info and start agitating.

animated films/series are still a niche neither company has clear dominance over the other..doing a namor one will kill two birds with one stone
    lol i dont want to see her as such or a teen namor either!

i can't say universal has given up..cos they didnt even try
    The cool thing about doing an animated Namor movie is that they could do anything. The undersea stuff wouldn't be a problem, like it would be in live action.

Universal did more than Marvel Studios has. They had a lot of pre-production done on the movie, and had directors attached. I'm not sure why they balked at the last minute.

horror could be interesting..if he tag teams with dr strange, that could set up the return of the original defenders line up again..
    I would love that!

I think the last ongoing had elements of horror in it, as well as the Jae Lee run. Plus, of course, the Depths -- though that's not exactly the Namor I would like to see.

The cool thing about doing an animated Namor movie is that they could do anything. The undersea stuff wouldn't be a problem, like it would be in live action.

Universal did more than Marvel Studios has. They had a lot of pre-production done on the movie, and had directors attached. I'm not sure why they balked at the last minute.
    ahh forgive my ignorance on universal :/
    once again a case of namor's bad luck

I would love that!

I think the last ongoing had elements of horror in it, as well as the Jae Lee run. Plus, of course, the Depths -- though that's not exactly the Namor I would like to see.
    how about a winter soldier-like series?
    bucky deals with threats all across the universe on his own, and this series is not associated with other titles.
    namor can do the same in his undersea kingdom..handling threats with diplomacy, his army, his fists and giganto!0