Page 20 of 631 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120520 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Well, today's New Avengers only had one more page of Namor then what we saw in those pages WhitOro posted. And his dialog consisted of two lines. Disappointing, to say the least.

Oh, and more posturing from the dead Black Panthers about killing Namor. Between this, and the overpriced, repeated pages in Avengers, I'm truly thinking of dropping these books. I'd never have thought it a year ago, but this is getting beyond old.
    Agreed, I flipped through that when I stopped by my LCS this morning and I was pretty disgusted with that. I've been pretty loath to jump on the bandwagon that Hickman is treating Namor as a plot device to advance T'Challa's story, but now I can't see his use of the Avenging Son any other way. It's deplorable. It's for more than Namor, but I can't bring myself to spend a solid penny on these titles going forward.

All-New Invaders, however, is the bees knees. I haven't gotten to read Robinson's FF today yet, but I'm hopeful it's good (even if there's no Namor this issue).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I'm not too big on Cap though. Is the first issue a bunch of Cap set up, with sides of Namor and everyone else or is it more so balanced?

I do like Robinson writing, maybe he can make Cap less dull to me

Cap only appears on the last page of the first issue. He isn't even part of the flashback. First issue is mostly Jim Hammond PoV.

Second issue is Bucky PoV. Cap is there, and takes over as leader, but he doesn't get anymore time than anyone else -- maybe less.

Third issue has a good portion of Namor, though sadly, we don't his first person PoV like we did in the first two books with Jim and Bucky.

It's really pretty even handed, and not Cap centric at all. The next arc may have some Cap, but the crux of the story is something Namor and Torch did in WWII. While the arc after that may not even have Cap in it.

Robinson has said repeatedly, the character he's most interested in is Jim Hammond.
    Last edited by Rheged; 05-14-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Fantastic Member

Cap only appears on the last page of the first issue. He isn't even part of the flashback. First issue is mostly Jim Hammond PoV.

Second issue is Bucky PoV. Cap is there, and takes over as leader, but he doesn't get anymore time than anyone else -- maybe less.

Third issue has a good portion of Namor, though sadly, we don't his first person PoV like we did in the first two books with Jim and Bucky.

It's really pretty even handed, and not Cap centric at all. The next arc may have some Cap, but the crux of the story is something Namor and Torch did in WWII. While the arc after that may not even have Cap in it.

Robinson has said repeatedly, the character he's most interested in is Jim Hammond.
    I actually haven't read many interviews (which could've somewhat answered my question)

I subscribed to the series on comixology, and about to go hunt down some of those interviews

thanks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Same here. It wouldn't be as bad if all the characters seemed of more importance to the title but the blatant pushing of one character is turning me off.

Marvel grow a pair and rename the title to who its really about so we can move on.
    I can't believe we STILL haven't gotten anything about Dr. Strange selling his soul. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    Agreed, I flipped through that when I stopped by my LCS this morning and I was pretty disgusted with that. I've been pretty loath to jump on the bandwagon that Hickman is treating Namor as a plot device to advance T'Challa's story, but now I can't see his use of the Avenging Son any other way. It's deplorable. It's for more than Namor, but I can't bring myself to spend a solid penny on these titles going forward.

All-New Invaders, however, is the bees knees. I haven't gotten to read Robinson's FF today yet, but I'm hopeful it's good (even if there's no Namor this issue).
    To be fair, Hickman is treating most the characters as plot devices -- some for Black Swan's advancement. But I'm more concerned about Namor, of course, and how YEARS, yes, since AvX, of trashing in support of another character exacts a toll.

Part of me says there's a subversive side of what's being written, but I'll have to get into that later. Running late for an appointment.

And it's not just how Namor and Atlantis are not getting a story, but the fact that we're getting repetition and decompression instead of Namor, and other characters getting a story. Hickman has a great idea for putting superheroes in a moral quandary in his Avengers run, but his execution has simply failed for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I actually haven't read many interviews (which could've somewhat answered my question)

I subscribed to the series on comixology, and about to go hunt down some of those interviews

thanks.
    There's also an Invaders Appreciation thread. Pop in there and get some other non-Namor biased opinions. LOL!

BANNED

I'm with Namor, in wishing for rain, so I can stay inside and craft my subversive interpretation!

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I can't believe we STILL haven't gotten anything about Dr. Strange selling his soul. WTF?

To be fair, Hickman is treating most the characters as plot devices -- some for Black Swan's advancement. But I'm more concerned about Namor, of course, and how YEARS, yes, since AvX, of trashing in support of another character exacts a toll.

Part of me says there's a subversive side of what's being written, but I'll have to get into that later. Running late for an appointment.

And it's not just how Namor and Atlantis are not getting a story, but the fact that we're getting repetition and decompression instead of Namor, and other characters getting a story. Hickman has a great idea for putting superheroes in a moral quandary in his Avengers run, but his execution has simply failed for me.
    Wow...I am sorry to hear NA is so lacking in Namor, Doctor Strange and characters getting more than a few moments to shine. I suspected this after issue 3 and dropped. It's too bad.

Maybe we'll get a bit on Doctor Strange's soul selling in the NA annual next month? I'll pick that up and will continue onward with ANI.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Agreed, and apropos of Hickman treating most of the characters as plot devices this reinforces my earlier discussed perception that he is interested in plot above all else and especially to the exception of character history & development. When he did FF I don't think it was so blatant because with the exception of Ben (and later Spidey) none of the characters he was working with regularly were appearing elsewhere with any great frequency. Now . . . Cap's dialogue in yesterday's Avenger's didn't even feel super consistent to me with how Hickman himself wrote Steve during Infinity or the arcs that led up to it in Avengers & NA (to say nothing of the nuanced character I'm reading in Remender's books and ANI, titles where the character's attitude feels more consistent between writers & with the work of previous authors).

Again, agreed, but I would very much like to hear (read?) your insights on the subversive side of what Hickman is doing.

For namor fans:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/...oming-in-2016/

And my sympathies for that fact that Zac Efron is mentioned as potentially portraying Namor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    For namor fans:

And my sympathies for that fact that Zac Efron is mentioned as potentially portraying Namor.
    Holy crap. I would be stunned and amazed if that were true. Yeah, I'm not thrilled with Zac Efron casting, but at this point, it appears the only way Marvel will support a character is if they have a movie.

Plus, if they are using the David Self script, it's not Namor as we know and love him. It's more like teen Aquaman -- Namor raised on the surface world.

Thank you for sharing the link!

You're welcome.

The source they mention has a good track record with movie predictions. They called it correctly with Marvel Studios. Besides, the clock is ticking on Universal.

BANNED

*posting in appreciation thread to show off my new avatar*

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    For namor fans:

Thanks for posting this

I don't really trust Bleeding cool but who knows maybe a Namor movie is really on it way. I would be awesome if it were true and if Zac Efron isn't really interested or involved at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    I like it very much. Imperius Rex indeed!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    Awesome choice for an avatar! We were talking about Namor's haircut from that issue. Schiti does great expressions also -- love the grin.

BANNED

Awesome choice for an avatar! We were talking about Namor's haircut from that issue. Schiti does great expressions also -- love the grin.
    Thanks, your Namor glances is great as well!
    I jumped on NA #18 just because of Schitti's Namor and I'm on the ride as long as he's penciling it.

Here's a sketch from Schitti's tumblr (if you haven't already seen it):