Page 206 of 631 FirstFirst ... 106156196202203204205206207208209210216256306 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 9460
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    The teeth in this image reminds me of Esad Ribic's Namor:

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Yes!
    But it's also scary as **** because it looks like 30 Days of Night Namor. ANDTHATMOVIESCARESTHEPISSOUTOFME.
    I agree. Shark Namor is just plain scary.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I meant with regards to Jacqueline's attention. Looking forward to your take on issue #2.
    Wow. #2 was powerful. And CRRRAAAAZZZZZYYYY for Namor!
    I am going to read #3 tonight.

Well, it's a theory / interpretation. But you didn't get that feeling with this issue? That Namor wanted to escape the day to day grind of ruling? I think I get that feeling, in part, whenever the Atlanteans complain about the time he spends away from Atlantis and on the surface.

Well, his first stint on the Avengers didn't have anything to do with the welfare of the Atlanteans, as you'll see. And I don't think his time with the FF had much to do with them either and more to do with Sue. Leadership, especially for Namor, I imagine does mean taking responsibility for his fellow team mates' welfare, but that's what he has to do in Atlantis.
    I most DEFINITELY got that feeling reading this mini so far! I meant in other things I've read with Namor. I haven't really read him with the Avengers yet. Nor with the FF. Now you know how much Namor I haven't read! hahahaha. Most of the stuff I have read have been his solo things, or things with main focus on him. Maybe that's why I never noticed it before? I never got the feeling that Namor didn't want the responsibility of being King. In fact, I always got the exact opposite feeling. But, that may change once I read him in other things that aren't solos or so heavily focused on just him.
    And what I should say is, I never got the feeling that the responsibility of being King was something that he'd want a vacation from.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

I'd recommend the Bendis and Reed first Illuminati mini-series for his Namor. I wish it collected the Civil War story where everyone but Namor wanted to fire the Hulk off into space, but it does have all Jim Cheung art. It wasn't focused on Namor, or any of the group individually, but Namor stole every scene he was in. It's not grim like Hickman's Illuminati, and I found their bickering quite fun.
    Yeah, that's the only Bendis Namor-related book worth getting.
    Namor did show up in the original dark avengers too but only in an issue or two.

I do agree that he made Namor steal every scene he was in.
    He was the only one who did'nt hold back with what he's saying.

I might get some stick for this but...Bendis on Namor over Hickman anyday :P

However, I'd say Bendis writes him a little too simplistic..

Yes, exactly. Even beyond trashing the romance of Fen and MacKenzie, it made zero sense. First off, she was on a spy mission, which she was risking already with her relationship with MacKenzie. Would she really go gallivanting around on adventures in a threesome with Captain Nemo??? And why would she hide the fact, if Namor was Nemo's son?
    That captain nemo thing was just unnecessary.
    I shudder to think the thing's he'll do if he writes a namor ongoing
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Is Bendis' New Avengers worth picking up for a Namor fan?
    I asked this about a year ago, but I cannot recall what I was told. hahaha.
    I think you probably know what I like as far as Namor reads go, is it worth it?
    There were a few good scenes with Namor in New Avengers. I do recall one where Namor pretty much tells Osborn how little he thinks of him, which was a turnaround to how he showed Namor to be down on his luck in that first meeting with the Cabal. Doom does use his concern over Namor to make his final break from the Cabal also.

BTW, both Doom and Namor are in round one of the lastest popularity poll here.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    There were a few good scenes with Namor in New Avengers. I do recall one where Namor pretty much tells Osborn how little he thinks of him, which was a turnaround to how he showed Namor to be down on his luck in that first meeting with the Cabal. Doom does use his concern over Namor to make his final break from the Cabal also.

i think that was in dark avengers..was it the scene he told Namor to publicly denounce the atlantean attacks?
    Lol namor probably can tear osborn's green scaly hide into green scaly...nevermind

namor and doom already has my vote
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    Yeah, that's the only Bendis Namor-related book worth getting.
    Namor did show up in the original dark avengers too but only in an issue or two.

I do agree that he made Namor steal every scene he was in.
    He was the only one who did'nt hold back with what he's saying.

I might get some stick for this but...Bendis on Namor over Hickman anyday :P

However, I'd say Bendis writes him a little too simplistic..
    I'd argue that Bendis does that with a lot of characters, at least with the Avengers and X-Men books that I've read -- haven't read his Ultimate universe or indie stuff. Oooooh, I'm not sure I can agree with that ... but maybe. Bendis doesn't usually put Namor through the wringer, but then he doesn't give a huge role either.

Bendis, and a lot of writers, like Namor, because he is the guy without filters, the snarky straight shooter. Under Bendis, Namor was the moral center of the Illuminati.

That captain nemo thing was just unnecessary.
    I shudder to think the thing's he'll do if he writes a namor ongoing
    I thought so too. But Fraction does like the character and Bill Everett. I just don't always agree with his take.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

i think that was in dark avengers..was it the scene he told Namor to publicly denounce the atlantean attacks?
    Lol namor probably can tear osborn's green scaly hide into green scaly...nevermind

Yes, that was in Dark Avengers, IIRC, and the first page was great. The second page was a bit deflating. I expected, like you said dzub, some green scaly goblin hide to be torn into little bitty pieces.

And yes, that was cool how Doom made Namor's treatment an excuse to break with Osborn. We know it wasn't entirely true, but it was a nice touch.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Wow. #2 was powerful. And CRRRAAAAZZZZZYYYY for Namor!
    I am going to read #3 tonight.

I most DEFINITELY got that feeling reading this mini so far! I meant in other things I've read with Namor. I haven't really read him with the Avengers yet. Nor with the FF. Now you know how much Namor I haven't read! hahahaha. Most of the stuff I have read have been his solo things, or things with main focus on him. Maybe that's why I never noticed it before? I never got the feeling that Namor didn't want the responsibility of being King. In fact, I always got the exact opposite feeling. But, that may change once I read him in other things that aren't solos or so heavily focused on just him.
    And what I should say is, I never got the feeling that the responsibility of being King was something that he'd want a vacation from.
    I see I'm going to have to dig out this mini-series for a re-read.

It's more like Namor didn't want the responsibility of king 24/7. It's a heavy burden, and for a guy who likes to punch things, at times it could be ... restricting. He obviously wants to be king, or feels like it's his duty, and he certainly isn't above enjoying the benefits of being king.

I'll have to keep an eye out for panels that make me think this.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I may have to track down more of his work. I've enjoyed his Namor stuff, and there was an essay about his writing I read that was interesting -- the themes he liked exploring.
    do you happen to have a link for it. I can give you a few recommendations for stuff he wrote that I read, I'm sure you've heard of most of it though.

Also: http://www.jmdematteis.com/ his blog. Gives some insights into his mind and writing.

Marvel sort of tried that with the Tsunami teen Namor ... with mixed results. I think if you want to go that route, you don't go with teen Namor. You go with Heathcliff or Darcy Namor -- or after New Avengers, even Elric Namor. The whole mad, bad, and dangerous to know -- with a healthly dose of self doubt about being worthy.
    Took a look at the Tsunami Namor and, Yeah I can already see why it didn't sell given the *ahem* writer and what people knew about him...wouldn't work. What I'm thinking more of is an actual novel ala what they tried with Rogue and She-hulk, only you need to get someone who both knows how to write for the YA market AND would know how to work with comics and create a world like that. I would say maybe make it sort of like novels with pictures in them, Light Novels as it were. Something like that with a writer that has a strong voice, focus on the aspects of either pre Betty, or maybe from Betty or Namor's perspective, it could work. The world building would be important and Atlantis has enough in there for a strong world to show people.

Darcy Namor, I would totally buy that. Heathcliff Bronte version...*shudders* I would rather him not go asking someone to dig up a body so he can gaze lovingly on a half decayed face. Actually Darcy and Namor do share a lot of qualities. Hummm, something to ponder over.

Aunt May certainly plays a mothering role. I'd probably count her. Ma Kent ... I'm not so familiar with.

Well, we never say why Namor and Tamara broke up, and this occurs after that, so I'm now wondering. I'm not sure what Dorma's memory has to do with Hickman's story?
    Ma Kent is/was Pretty much like Aunt may, minus the whole "feeble aspect" that some writers like to give Aunt May. I'm thinking more along the lines of what his past memories in general of Atlantis are while he's doing what he's doing with the Cabal. We know that he reacted to seeing Sue, and his words to Black Swan, so I'm curious as to if any of his past actions in Atlantis are fueling his choices here? Does he see himself as more like the barbarian kings before, or is he wondering what his Mother and Father would have done in his shoes as it were, or even his grandfather, and if they would be upset with him. I really wish we could have that, just something to show his thoughts. I mean we have some, but they feel more like he's not being honest with Swan, so I'm not sure how to take it.

Need as in there's a crisis involving the surface world that threatens Atlantis or the world. Back in the Golden Age, before he became ruler, it seemed he would go to the surface to learn things and have fun with Betty.

Prince Hal? Henry VIII? The Prince and the Pauper? Well the idea of the Invaders being a vacation hasn't actually been in print to my knowledge. (Though, Robinson does state it's a respite for Namor from the Illuminati and the Incursions for Namor, now.) But it does answer the question why Namor doesn't lead any of the many teams he is on.

Namor joined the Illuminati because he had to. If the US heard that all the major powers were meeting to share info, don't you think they'd want a seat at that table? That's why Namor is meeting with the Illuminati. People forget that Namor didn't think it was a good idea either, but there's no way he's not going to have a say in world making decisions.
    Prince Hal and oddly Fleuder Flam from the Chronicles of Pyrdain were the two I was thinking of but I couldn't remember, thank you for that. It's kind of sad that the older Namor get's the less time he has to come topside for just fun, and more for business. They need to start doing that again with him. let him enjoy himself rather then have him just come up when there's a huge crisis.

Given the fact that he keeps trying to join the UN it does say a lot that he cares that much about the world in general. he could have just told everyone to just bugger off, but he didn't. I give him a lot of credit for that. I notice that not a lot of writers note that he and Tchalla have it the hardest of the Illuminati. Tony and Reed run a company sure, and the rest all have different jobs, but Namor and T'challa not only help save the world, they also have to put up with governing, dealing with politics and other matters. The stress those two must be under a lot of the time must be enormous in general. Then on top of this having to keep that secret from the world? Yeah not fun.

Exactly. Let's discard Marvel's oldest character, created by the genius of Bill Everett, with his rich history and connections to everyone in the MU, in exchange for Mark Millar's unpleasant, undeveloped, Atlantean psycho -- all so Marvel can easily wipe away the mess they've made with the character and his feud with Black Panther. Ugh. The ultimate sacrifice and for what? So he can interact with Black Panther. Oh, hell no. It's a horrible idea, IMO.
    Looked through one issue where Namor was introduced and promptly put it back. It makes no sense to dispose of the 616 version. Just streamline some stories. Throw out some of the weirdness, and say "Well basically it happened but after that between this time and this time things calmed down and they worked things out." Most people I would think would accept a cleaning of the not so great stories with Namor in it.

The one someone on the forum has been running. I haven't really followed it, but voted in the last one, when I saw someone encouraging people to vote against Namor. smh
    Really that's weird. Of note, the contest now apparently has him trying to best Carol for the All Star tournament I guess.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Side note to all, given this talk about costumes from the main area, I was curious what do you guys think are the worst and best of Namor's costumes and what would you like to see changed?

Worsts for me as far as I've seen are:

This mess of...whatever that's supposed to be...

Then there's this one that makes me wonder if they were trying to give him webbing like spiderman or wings ala batman? Really what am I looking at?

And lastly the one he wore for AvX. I really disliked that design for him, two finger gloves? Really?

Best ones for me right now are the one he's got right now and This one
    Minus the collar and maybe change the booted feet some what I think that's a really nice design for him.
    Last edited by Darkspellmaster; 03-17-2015 at 02:13 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Thanks everyone! I hope they both make it to the next round

Yes, I think it was the issue where he told him off. I will see if I can find that panel.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-17-2015 at 01:48 AM.

I'd argue that Bendis does that with a lot of characters, at least with the Avengers and X-Men books that I've read -- haven't read his Ultimate universe or indie stuff. Oooooh, I'm not sure I can agree with that ... but maybe. Bendis doesn't usually put Namor through the wringer, but then he doesn't give a huge role either.

Bendis, and a lot of writers, like Namor, because he is the guy without filters, the snarky straight shooter. Under Bendis, Namor was the moral center of the Illuminati.
    i'd rather have him take a backseat than get into the wringer like that :/
    under hickman, he's the one taking the weight of making hard decisions

Yes, that was in Dark Avengers, IIRC, and the first page was great. The second page was a bit deflating. I expected, like you said dzub, some green scaly goblin hide to be torn into little bitty pieces.

And yes, that was cool how Doom made Namor's treatment an excuse to break with Osborn. We know it wasn't entirely true, but it was a nice touch.
    turn him into a pair of briefs for Namor to wear..if that's not victory i don't know what is
    Last edited by dzub; 03-17-2015 at 02:29 AM.

I never ever want this mini to end.
    It's SOOOO GOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Then there's this one that makes me wonder if they were trying to give him webbing like spiderman or wings ala batman? Really what am I looking at?
    Looks like a spin-off of his Savage Sub-Mariner outfit.

Blackbolt's is similar with the armpit wings:
    http://inkist.deviantart.com/art/Kir...Bolt-128913071

BANNED

Looks like a spin-off of his Savage Sub-Mariner outfit.

Blackbolt's is similar with the armpit wings:
    http://inkist.deviantart.com/art/Kir...Bolt-128913071
    That's where Gene Simmons of KISS got the idea for his armpit wings. He's a big comics guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    That's where Gene Simmons of KISS got the idea for his armpit wings. He's a big comics guy.
    Hi, Pat!!!!

He got the idea from Blackbolt's or Namor's costume?