Page 32 of 631 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132532 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I really liked Stuart Moore's writing in that series too.

On another note, you would hope that Marvel has something special planned for Namor in this 75th anniversary commemoration. Has anything been announced besides that giant Omnibus? I didn't even know about the voting and I wonder if it is still open since it's coming out in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Those issues of Rampaging Hulk are pretty special and a non-stop slug fest. It features what's got to be the best Keith Pollard art I've ever seen. I have to credit inker Alfredo Alcala for the lovely black and white washes and details. Plus, the Jim Starlin cover is the icing on the cake!

Pages are from here: http://obsessivecomicdisorder.tumblr...from-rampaging
    Keith Pollard is such an unsung artist from the Silver Age. I've never seen that and was wondering if it was done in that magazine sized format Marvel was trying out. I used to like those Marvel Treasury sized magazines but they didn't get a wide distribution since the huge size was hard to place in racks. There were not that many LCS's back then.

I guess since I read so much of the "old school" stuff it really is hard for me to get into the indy style that Marvel uses a lot lately.

BANNED

Those issues of Rampaging Hulk are pretty special and a non-stop slug fest. It features what's got to be the best Keith Pollard art I've ever seen. I have to credit inker Alfredo Alcala for the lovely black and white washes and details. Plus, the Jim Starlin cover is the icing on the cake!

Pages are from here: http://obsessivecomicdisorder.tumblr...from-rampaging
    Beautiful stuff!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    That's lovely! I can see why you enjoy that issue.
    I thought so too. And eBas spent the whole time he was drawing it complaining he can't really draw guys. LOL!

I wish Marvel would consider another Namor solo though. Namor could work nicely. Hell, if Johns can make Aquaman work (not for me but...), someone at Marvel can definitely do the same and more for Namor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    Funny you mention him. Namor: The First Mutant has been on my to-read list. I feel that it's been criminally overlooked, and wanted to give it a chance.
    Awesome! Let us know what you think of it. I think you're right and it really didn't get that much support. We never got an artist for more than two issues in a row, and there were issues with multiple artists and inkers on it. Like many of us have asked here, Stuart Moore was actually trying to do some world building with Atlantis in the book, as well as a more fully realized characterization on Namor.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I really liked Stuart Moore's writing in that series too.

On another note, you would hope that Marvel has something special planned for Namor in this 75th anniversary commemoration. Has anything been announced besides that giant Omnibus? I didn't even know about the voting and I wonder if it is still open since it's coming out in November.
    Moore drew from continuity to tell his tales, which you don't see much of nowadays.

You would think, but when someone asked Axel he just mentioned some collections in the fall, which would be the Saga of the Sub-Mariner and the Torch and the Classic Invaders. They really hasn't been much said about the first 20+ years of the 75 year anniversary celebration. They didn't include anything Golden Age in the Marvel Masterworks 75th Anniversary set, or Namor's Silver Age MMW. Heck, judging by the cover of that 75th Anniversary special, they aren't even celebrating the FF or the X-Men! It's mostly movie characters.

But YES! Folks definitely need to get their lists of stories to send into that 75th Omnibus vote.

BANNED

Keith Pollard is such an unsung artist from the Silver Age. I've never seen that and was wondering if it was done in that magazine sized format Marvel was trying out. I used to like those Marvel Treasury sized magazines but they didn't get a wide distribution since the huge size was hard to place in racks. There were not that many LCS's back then.

I guess since I read so much of the "old school" stuff it really is hard for me to get into the indy style that Marvel uses a lot lately.
    I don't really remember seeing much by Pollard that 'wowed' me like this work for Rampaging Hulk -- and I know part of it is the inker, Acala. Pollard worked on FF for some issues, didn't he?

It wasn't that giant Marvel Treasury size, but it was a black and white magazine, oversized and more square than rectangular, like their horror mags, Vampire Tales and Dracula Lives, as well as Savage Sword Of Conan. It was on the magazine stands, with the Tiger Beat and Star Trek Poster Magazines and Starlog. There. I've dated myself. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Banner View Post
    Beautiful stuff!
    It certainly is!

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I thought so too. And eBas spent the whole time he was drawing it complaining he can't really draw guys. LOL!
    LOL... when artists usually say that, it's the reverse. Silly eBas.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

BANNED

LOL... when artists usually say that, it's the reverse. Silly eBas.
    I think eBas actually meant, he'd much prefer drawing gals to guys. Cause, obviously he's talented enough to draw anything.

I wish Marvel would consider another Namor solo though. Namor could work nicely. Hell, if Johns can make Aquaman work (not for me but...), someone at Marvel can definitely do the same and more for Namor.
    I too would love a new Namor ongoing. As a fan of Johns' Aquaman, I find it upsetting that Namor is only being featured in New Avengers and not his own solo title. He has such a rich mythos which really touches all corners of the Marvel Universe like the Fantastic Four, the Avengers, the X-men, as well as the Invaders and the Defenders. Not to mention his more "villainous" associations like the Cabal and the Illuminati. I would love for the various undersea societies to be explored as much as possible and for Atlantis to really be a major force within the Marvel Universe.

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I think eBas actually meant, he'd much prefer drawing gals to guys. Cause, obviously he's talented enough to draw anything.
    LOL. I figured... some artists prefer drawing one type of character over another.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I too would love a new Namor ongoing. As a fan of Johns' Aquaman, I find it upsetting that Namor is only being featured in New Avengers and not his own solo title. He has such a rich mythos which really touches all corners of the Marvel Universe like the Fantastic Four, the Avengers, the X-men, as well as the Invaders and the Defenders. Not to mention his more "villainous" associations like the Cabal and the Illuminati. I would love for the various undersea societies to be explored as much as possible and for Atlantis to really be a major force within the Marvel Universe.

nj06, like so many others, you've touched upon e many excellent points about why there should be a Namor ongoing. It's cool you like Johns' Aquaman (I'm a Peter David / Dan Jurgens fan myself. Though I'm glad to see Jeff Parker has taken over.)

It would not surprise me should Universal get the film going, the powers that be might suddenly change their minds about a Namor series. I just hope they try something before that happens. I don't understand why they wouldn't risk a variety of characters now that Disney paid so much for their universe? Speaking of Peter David... hmmm, I bet he could write a wonderful Namor ongoing and make it completely different from his Aquaman / Atlantis runs.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

I don't really remember seeing much by Pollard that 'wowed' me like this work for Rampaging Hulk -- and I know part of it is the inker, Acala. Pollard worked on FF for some issues, didn't he?

It wasn't that giant Marvel Treasury size, but it was a black and white magazine, oversized and more square than rectangular, like their horror mags, Vampire Tales and Dracula Lives, as well as Savage Sword Of Conan. It was on the magazine stands, with the Tiger Beat and Star Trek Poster Magazines and Starlog. There. I've dated myself. ;P
    LOL...I have a whole box of Star Log magazines in my garage and we had those Star Trek posters too. I wish I still had some of the Creepy and Eerie issues we used to have. My Dad bought the very first issues of both for us kids.

Pollard did solid work on his FF run. I wouldn't say he was spectacular but he could really do the action scenes well. The inks on that Hulk magazine really makes his work stand out more. But I don't recall ever seeing that Rampaging Hulk magazine. I am not even sure if there was a comic book store in our city yet. There might have been but I think he didn't always carry those magazines. But this goes to show how Marvel was trying out a lot more things back then. Now they seem to be in this cycle of events and relaunches of the same titles. At least this time there are some new titles in there like Nightcrawler etc. But I wish they would have tried a Namor title in there too.

BANNED

LOL...I have a whole box of Star Log magazines in my garage and we had those Star Trek posters too. I wish I still had some of the Creepy and Eerie issues we used to have. My Dad bought the very first issues of both for us kids.

Pollard did solid work on his FF run. I wouldn't say he was spectacular but he could really do the action scenes well. The inks on that Hulk magazine really makes his work stand out more. But I don't recall ever seeing that Rampaging Hulk magazine. I am not even sure if there was a comic book store in our city yet. There might have been but I think he didn't always carry those magazines. But this goes to show how Marvel was trying out a lot more things back then. Now they seem to be in this cycle of events and relaunches of the same titles. At least this time there are some new titles in there like Nightcrawler etc. But I wish they would have tried a Namor title in there too.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one dating themselves. I loved those old black and white Warren magazines too! They had great art!

In many ways, Marvel in the 70s was more progressive and experimental than Marvel today.

I'll have to check them out. And yes, I'd have to say his action is great, from these pages. That's something that is separate from the inks, in most ways.

I don't think Rampaging Hulk was as popular as the horror black and white magazines. But they had these great painted covers!

by Jim Starlin

by Ken Barr

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post

Ah we've sorely been needing this image on the thread. One of the best, most intense Namor's of the last decade.

Yeah, if DC can manage to keep a title going for a third-rate Namor knock-of who only survived into the silver age because he was the back-up feature in the Superboy monthly of the 1940s & '50s I would like to believe that a dedicated Namor title handled in the right way by the right creative team could make sustainable sales & garner a lot of interest. Remember Marvel, this is your REAL Superman; start behaving like it.

Glad to see I'm not the only one dating themselves. I loved those old black and white Warren magazines too! They had great art!

In many ways, Marvel in the 70s was more progressive and experimental than Marvel today.

I'll have to check them out. And yes, I'd have to say his action is great, from these pages. That's something that is separate from the inks, in most ways.

I don't think Rampaging Hulk was as popular as the horror black and white magazines. But they had these great painted covers!

by Jim Starlin

by Ken Barr

Those are wonderful covers and I think remember the Starlin one...maybe they recycled it and used it again somewhere?? Maybe I just saw the jpeg and didn't know the source.

So I am guessing this story lasted for multiple issues?

BANNED

Those are wonderful covers and I think remember the Starlin one...maybe they recycled it and used it again somewhere?? Maybe I just saw the jpeg and didn't know the source.

So I am guessing this story lasted for multiple issues?
    Yes, the Namor story ran over two issues.

They really were cool painted covers. I love how shadowy the Starlin cover is. But IIRC, the Savage Sword of Conan had cool painted covers also, by folks like Boris.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    Ah we've sorely been needing this image on the thread. One of the best, most intense Namor's of the last decade.

Yeah, if DC can manage to keep a title going for a third-rate Namor knock-of who only survived into the silver age because he was the back-up feature in the Superboy monthly of the 1940s & '50s I would like to believe that a dedicated Namor title handled in the right way by the right creative team could make sustainable sales & garner a lot of interest. Remember Marvel, this is your REAL Superman; start behaving like it.
    Here here!

Love your unreserved enthusiasm, Chief Jon!