Page 331 of 631 FirstFirst ... 231281321327328329330331332333334335341381431 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,965 of 9460
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Yes ! A Namor GA Omnibus !

And a All-Monsters Atlas Era Omnibus too...

Any big monsters in GA Namor btw ?

I'm aware only of this one :

Which always seems to me like a war-machine version of this one :

(A 1907 (IIRC) page from Winsor Mc Kay's Little Nemo)
    Wow. That Little Nemo page is GORGEOUS. Thank you for posting it. I had no idea.

And that Schomburg Subby cover definitely looks like a homage.

Big monsters ... well there was a sea serpent in one story, IIRC, that sank a Nazi dragon / sea serpent ship. I'll have to see if I can find the scan.

There's giant octopi I believe in one of the Atlas stories, I think. But not really GIANT giant.

I also want to say there's a collection of the old Atlas / Marvel monsters, but I'm not sure. Maybe I'm imagining it.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Little Nemo is always gorgeous. Still modern. It's incredible... You'll find amazing stuffs on the net, but it's even richer ! Thinking that the most part of it was published more than a century ago is... can't find words...

You should check that link :

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/cata...ittle_nemo.htm

The book is an incredible object - you need a wallet ! The size of it, the colors, the paper, the re-mastering, the companion book... The price seems high - 150 euros (150 dollars ? I can't connect to a non-European version of the site...) - but it's an illusion... When you see what Marvel or DC does with their Omnibuses (not omnibi ! latin teacher speaking ! lol !)... Hey ! they should be ashamed !!! (Masterworks is another thing, and I'm full of respect for their work...)

I guess they work in the US too : Roy Thomas did things for them about DC or Marvel...

Nazi dragon / sea serpent ship ? Giant octopi ? That seems pretty yummy...

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    From Sean Howe's tumblr .... Timely Comics stationary. The Golden Age, when Namor was one of their "big three."

http://seanhowe.tumblr.com/post/3190...ics-stationery
    How it should always be. *sigh*
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Is it this one ?

1947, Bill Everett as writer and artist... OMG ! that's good !
    Yes that is the one! The cover looks pretty much in what I would call a 3.0 condition but on the in-side a couple of the pages have small tears on them; the paper is very yellowed, and on one of the stories (the one with the Shark) there is a an actual chunk missing that affects the story. I was so mad at MH Comics that I have not bought from them again. It didn't take me long to figure out that even with their 50 or 60% off sales they are still more expensive than the comics at the my comics shop on line store (me and my dad only buy comics from them now, and their grading is spot on). Currently they have for sale 10 different issues of the GA Sub Mariner Comics (out of 42). The cheapest one range around 300 dollars. I might pick up one of those for my own x-mas present. LOL I would love to have issue #10 which is the earliest issue they have.

On a side note; I have been reading this entire thread from start to finish. I am currently on page #100 (it is taking longer than I thought it would), but it sure fun reading all the thoughts and the love for Namor over the past 2 years that has been posted here....thank you everyone who has contributed.

Back to reading the thread now.......

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    Namor's Kaiju vs wild kaijus? i'd love that

flash this week has Atlantis mentioned...we are effectively out of the sea king race..marvel didnt even got on the race
    Oy . . . so this is timely (pun intended). I don't have time to keep up with TV programming most of the time, but Netflix helps this scion of Atlantis out now and then. The long and the short is that I attempted to finally start watching Flash and was so offended, as a scientist and medical professional, within the first 15 minutes that I don't think I can enjoy the show. Glossing over things or throwing out psuedo-science mumbo-jumbo is one thing, but to put information out there that's just flat out wrong . . . it makes me sad/mad. I mean CSI, NCIS and even ER can get this stuff right. C'mon CW hire a consultant.

The flip-side is I guess this is extra incentive for me to get back to work on my book about superhero biology after I finish vet school :P
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Waves at Cold Water again! Glad you are back!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    On a side note; I have been reading this entire thread from start to finish. I am currently on page #100 (it is taking longer than I thought it would), but it sure fun reading all the thoughts and the love for Namor over the past 2 years that has been posted here....thank you everyone who has contributed.

Back to reading the thread now.......
    Cool! Glad you are enjoying it. It's hard to believe it's been two years!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    The flip-side is I guess this is extra incentive for me to get back to work on my book about superhero biology after I finish vet school :P
    That's an incredible project, Chief Jon ! Congrats ! I hope I will have the chance to read that someday !

It reminds me a page that I like to read each month in "Pour la science" the french edition of American Scientist, but after verification the authors are French - and true scientists of course : an astrophysicist and a paleontologist. It's called "Science & Fiction" and the subjects are stuffs like : what could be the biology of Jabba or of the creature in the Alien movie ? The Jedi force... Here is the link - but it's in French !

http://www.pourlascience.fr/ewb_page...et_fiction.php

If I see something about Atlanteans I will try to translate it for the thread !

EDIT : sadly the articles are protected... There are things about Superman or the X-Men - but I don't store my collection in Paris...
    Last edited by Abe; 11-08-2015 at 02:00 PM.

Little Nemo is always gorgeous. Still modern. It's incredible... You'll find amazing stuffs on the net, but it's even richer ! Thinking that the most part of it was published more than a century ago is... can't find words...

You should check that link :

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/cata...ittle_nemo.htm

The book is an incredible object - you need a wallet ! The size of it, the colors, the paper, the re-mastering, the companion book... The price seems high - 150 euros (150 dollars ? I can't connect to a non-European version of the site...) - but it's an illusion... When you see what Marvel or DC does with their Omnibuses (not omnibi ! latin teacher speaking ! lol !)... Hey ! they should be ashamed !!! (Masterworks is another thing, and I'm full of respect for their work...)

I guess they work in the US too : Roy Thomas did things for them about DC or Marvel...

Nazi dragon / sea serpent ship ? Giant octopi ? That seems pretty yummy...
    OMG. That book. MUST HAVE. I'm putting it on my Christmas list. Or more precisely, my 'give myself a present during the holiday sales' list. It's $200 USD, but Amazon has it for $129 ... probably closer to $150 with tax. Thank you for the link. I think. ;p

Yes, Roy did the 75 Years of Marvel book for Taschen last year, which was my GMaPDtHS gift last year. It's gorgeous also.

I knew of Little Nemo before but I hadn't really seen any of the work.

I'll see if I can find the scans tonight. Got plans for the evening.

That's an incredible project, Chief Jon ! Congrats ! I hope I will have the chance to read that someday !

It reminds me a page that I like to read each month in "Pour la science" the french edition of American Scientist, but after verification the authors are French - and true scientists of course : an astrophysicist and a paleontologist. It's called "Science & Fiction" and the subjects are stuffs like : what could be the biology of Jabba or of the creature in the Alien movie ? The Jedi force... Here is the link - but it's in French ! :

Very cool Abe! Thanks for sharing. My thoughts on how a mutation in Namor's lungs could explain virtually all of his other powers was actually my inspiration for this project. It would even explain why he starts to weaken when he begins to become dehydrated. Angels wings and a discussion of the X-Gene and the effects of the Terrigen Mists allow other teachable moments too.
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Very cool Abe! Thanks for sharing. My thoughts on how a mutation in Namor's lungs could explain virtually all of his other powers was actually my inspiration for this project. It would even explain why he starts to weaken when he begins to become dehydrated. Angels wings and a discussion of the X-Gene and the effects of the Terrigen Mists allow other teachable moments too.
    Lungs mutation... Very intriguing... But it explains also his lovely little wings ? His flying abilities seems to defy the laws of physic ! . Abyssal biology is quite fascinating. Two of my former students (latin) wanted to study it, without knowing each others... Now they are 19 and 20. I hope they will succeed... I'm wondering if you have a specialization related to th subject of this thread... ( Valiant's Goat seemed already related to your club about Camelids IIRC ! Artiodactylae ?). I'll bring home the article about X-Men next spring... If there's something interesting, Ill share it !

Oy . . . so this is timely (pun intended). I don't have time to keep up with TV programming most of the time, but Netflix helps this scion of Atlantis out now and then. The long and the short is that I attempted to finally start watching Flash and was so offended, as a scientist and medical professional, within the first 15 minutes that I don't think I can enjoy the show. Glossing over things or throwing out psuedo-science mumbo-jumbo is one thing, but to put information out there that's just flat out wrong . . . it makes me sad/mad. I mean CSI, NCIS and even ER can get this stuff right. C'mon CW hire a consultant.

Can't wait to see it, Chief Jon!

I don't watch Flash for the science, by I do a lot of eyeball rolling at how 'running fast' basically lets him do anything. Hmmmm. Now I'm wondering, exactly WHY do I watch Flash?

For a long time, I didn't have a TV except as a monitor for my DVD player, so, I didn't watch much. Now having all these channels, I find myself watching waaaaay too much, just because it's available. And I'm optimistic and OCD enough, that I tend to want to finish the story, thinking it will get better. I think I've let go of only three shows I started. I need to work on that.

It reminds me a page that I like to read each month in "Pour la science" the french edition of American Scientist, but after verification the authors are French - and true scientists of course : an astrophysicist and a paleontologist. It's called "Science & Fiction" and the subjects are stuffs like : what could be the biology of Jabba or of the creature in the Alien movie ? The Jedi force... Here is the link - but it's in French !

EDIT : sadly the article are protected... There are things about Superman or the X-Men - but I don't store them in Paris...
    Cool idea. Sadly, I don't read French. But I think there might a couple of scientists here on the boards. Dog has some sort of science site, IIRC.

Wow. That gets the brain cranking. You are GENIUS!

On a related thread ... I saw a show on the Marianas Trench and the Trieste dive, with Jacques Piccard (Swiss, but obviously of the French side, Abe ) and Don Walsh. Anyway, the effects of the crushing depths on a human head sized object.

AKA: Why I eye roll Hickman's invasion of Atlantis.

From Sean Howe's tumblr .... Timely Comics stationary. The Golden Age, when Namor was one of their "big three."

http://seanhowe.tumblr.com/post/3190...ics-stationery
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Thanks a lot for bringing up this wonderful document from the page 248, Cold Water ! It's awesome... I must confess that I don't have the courage to do with this thread what I've done with the Doom's one which is shorter... but I 'll do it with the 365 days one ! I hope Mantis Girl 94 will bring up a few highlights in the current pages too ! Sunken treasures quest... It would be so nice !

Obviously Bucky is too small to be one of the Big Three ! I love the Black & White & Red impression btw - and that also includes the red speedo of course....

Lungs mutation... Very intriguing... But it explains also his lovely little wings ? His flying abilities seems to defy the laws of physic ! . Abyssal biology is quite fascinating. Two of my former students (latin) wanted to study it, without knowing each others... Now they are 19 and 20. I hope they will succeed... I'm wondering if you have a specialization related to th subject of this thread... ( Valiant's Goat seemed already related to your club about Camelids IIRC ! Artiodactylae ?). I'll bring home the article about X-Men next spring... If there's something interesting, Ill share it !
    Abyssal science is AMAZING! It's like another world or dimension, right here on Planet Earth!

There have been a few tossed out in passing explanations. One was that he wasn't flying he was swimming on the water molecules in the air. <scratches head>

Another was that the wings didn't do the flying, but were a focus for telekinetic powers he doesn't know he has that apparently only work for flight. <eye brow raising>

I prefer the theory others have put forth that they are magic, a gift of Neptune. It shoots down the mutation theory, but it supported by the theory that Namor is part magical creature / magical battery.

Abyssal science is AMAZING! It's like another world or dimension, right here on Planet Earth!

There have been a few tossed out in passing explanations. One was that he wasn't flying he was swimming on the water molecules in the air. <scratches head>

Another was that the wings didn't do the flying, but were a focus for telekinetic powers he doesn't know he has that apparently only work for flight. <eye brow raising>

I prefer the theory others have put forth that they are magic, a gift of Neptune. It shoots down the mutation theory, but it supported by the theory that Namor is part magical creature / magical battery.
    I don't know which one I prefer, really... All the three are so nice ! How did they use to say in the 50's ? "Weird Science Fantasy" ? and a "magical battery" ! That's awesome !

But just below the surface crazy things happen too.. PLEASE WATCH THAT VIDEO !

As the OP in you tube (link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcpzubpIhtI ) says : "Cuttlefish are Friends! Not Food!" (they're quite lovecraftian too...). But the most important lesson from that video is this : we can see that not only they gave us the wonderful sepia tone, but they also should teach to many inkers how to hypnotize their readers... Anyone in a Subby story btw ?

To conclude I will try a : "Inking Cuttlefish !" (sounds nice... will re-use it...)
    Last edited by Abe; 11-08-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Eh, it could be supplemental to his mutation. A blessing from Neptune-Poseidon or Toth-Hermes or something perhaps? Perhaps there's room for a retcon side-story set during the 1930s that would explain this since he didn't seem to always have the ankle wings in the earliest Everett stuff. Of course there's also the possibility that if Namor has latent hydrokinetic abilities (I think this was put on show at the end of Fraction's Defenders out of nowhere) he's pulling himself through the air using his cellular body water? Another possiblity: enchanted (or ancient Antlantean super-science derived) anti-gravity belt buckle actually does the levitation and the ankle-wings just help his mobility?
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER