Page 434 of 631 FirstFirst ... 334384424430431432433434435436437438444484534 ... LastLast
Results 6,496 to 6,510 of 9460
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    That would be awesome, Thor-El! And you are exactly right. It's really isn't a one person deal -- I was hoping to get volunteers or people excited to post about their favorite issues.
    Well, you've got me now.

I was going to start with Motion Picture Funnies / Marvel Comics 1 too, before venturing into Fantastic Four #4.
    Yep, that's were I've started.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Mighty Member

I tried to start doing this over a year ago, but got swamped by other things real life and fannish. Plus, lets face it, last year was the utter bottom of the barrel for Namor and his fans.

Anyway, I would LOVE it if we started up again!

http://community.comicbookresources....iner-Readathon
    People, since Reviresco had already started a thread to this purpose I'll be posting everything under that old thread hopefully more people than just her and I will join. The first couple of issues are on youtube so I'm placing a link to them so anyone can join on the fun! The thread for the Namor appearances since the golden age is linked to below:
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    So I asked AgentM (Vice President & Executive Editor of Marvel Digital Media) over Twitter if Namor appears at all in tonight Captain America 75th Anniversary Special and he said he doesn't believe so, unfortunately.

Because it's not like he was a huge part of the Invaders, or had anything to do with defrosting him or anything...

Though that doesn't mean he won't appear, just that AgentM might've missed it. Regardless, I'm looking forward to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Thank you for reminding me Of Atlantis, setting my DVR now.
    Yep, I got my DVR going now too. Can't take over the TV just yet. So excited about Agent Carter!!!

Hope AgentM is wrong. I don't see how you can talk about Golden Age Cap without Namor in the comics. Unless they are just ignoring All Winners and the Invaders.

Though, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they didn't mention Namor. The MCU has written him entirely out of Cap's history, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the comics follow suit.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Well, you've got me now.

Yep, that's were I've started.
    Yay!!!

People, since Reviresco had already started a thread to this purpose I'll be posting everything under that old thread hopefully more people than just her and I will join. The first couple of issues are on youtube so I'm placing a link to them so anyone can join on the fun! The thread for the Namor appearances since the golden age is linked to below:
    I'm still catching up here ... are we going to do all the Golden Age in that thread? That's a lot of issues before we get to the Silver Age stuff. I was going to do the Silver Age to the present in that thread, with Marvel Comics #1 as a reference / comparison to his Silver Age appearances.

I am all for reading the Golden Age stuff too, but I was thinking in another thread?

But I can edit the check list, no problem, if folks want to do the Golden Age in the readathon thread.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Just link me to wherever.
    I just want to know where to post.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

What time is it supposed to be on?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    What time is it supposed to be on?
    It came on at 8pm EST -- right before Agent Carter. Not sure what time on the west coast.

Tonite on TV there was a great pitch for a movie:

He starts to develop these powers. He can breath underwater. He can communicate with sea life. He's very strong.

He's the only one who is both human and he's a god. I want to see him struggle with that fact.

He grows up not really feeling like he belongs in either world. So, he's a man trapped between two worlds but has the responsibility of protecting both of them.

What is it? Three quarters of the world is covered by water. THAT'S his domain. One of the last mysteries left in this world is what is below.

Absolutely! What else is down there? Aquaman knows.

Yep, until the very end it could have been Namor. And how often have we talked about the extent of Namor's domain and how unexplored and unknown it is? Torn between two worlds has been Namor's byline since day one.

Meanwhile, at Marvel, we get ... zero mention of Namor's connection to Cap, in Captain America's 75th Anniversary, though frozen Cap was mentioned. And on Marvel's comic side, we get such gems as ...Namor works better as a foil, as a villain, as a supporting character. No one is interested in Namor underwater, i.e. lets destroy Atlantis AGAIN. Namor can't support a solo book, i.e. we're clueless what to do with one of the founding characters of Marvel comics.

I really hope DC doesn't screw it up, and Aquaman is the biggest movie of the year.

BANNED

Tonite on TV there was a great pitch for a movie:

He starts to develop these powers. He can breath underwater. He can communicate with sea life. He's very strong.

He's the only one who is both human and he's a god. I want to see him struggle with that fact.

He grows up not really feeling like he belongs in either world. So, he's a man trapped between two worlds but has the responsibility of protecting both of them.

What is it? Three quarters of the world is covered by water. THAT'S his domain. One of the last mysteries left in this world is what is below.

Absolutely! What else is down there? Aquaman knows.

Yep, until the very end it could have been Namor. And how often have we talked about the extent of Namor's domain and how unexplored and unknown it is? Torn between two worlds has been Namor's byline since day one.

Meanwhile, at Marvel, we get ... zero mention of Namor's connection to Cap, in Captain America's 75th Anniversary, though frozen Cap was mentioned. And on Marvel's comic side, we get such gems as ...Namor works better as a foil, as a villain, as a supporting character. No one is interested in Namor underwater, i.e. lets destroy Atlantis AGAIN. Namor can't support a solo book, i.e. we're clueless what to do with one of the founding characters of Marvel comics.

I really hope DC doesn't screw it up, and Aquaman is the biggest movie of the year.
    Somehow, I really doubt AquaMomoa is going to capture the unique aspects of Namor or heck, even classic Aquaman. He'll be yet another "brooding" and "dark" character, that will spout existencial quotes to try and sound intellectual to the 13 year old "I'm smarter than everyone else and the world would be so much better if people actually listened to me" demographic. Nothing I've seen from DC so far makes me believe that they can do good. Sure, Marvel has tons of flaws, but at least they know what they're going for. DC throws some filters and some "philosophical debates" a 10 year old has probably seen in a Saturday morning cartoon, and somehow they're "deep" and "complex"...

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Somehow, I really doubt AquaMomoa is going to capture the unique aspects of Namor or heck, even classic Aquaman. He'll be yet another "brooding" and "dark" character, that will spout existencial quotes to try and sound intellectual to the 13 year old "I'm smarter than everyone else and the world would be so much better if people actually listened to me" demographic. Nothing I've seen from DC so far makes me believe that they can do good. Sure, Marvel has tons of flaws, but at least they know what they're going for. DC throws some filters and some "philosophical debates" a 10 year old has probably seen in a Saturday morning cartoon, and somehow they're "deep" and "complex"...
    That could be, given the director is more of a horror guy. But the pitch given tonite by Johns reminded me far more of Namor. And my point was, DC at least understands the amazing potential of an aquatic character, and is given him all sorts of support, including A-List talent, and now a movie. While all Marvel wants to do with Namor is use him to prop up other characters and see how many more humiliating ways can they kill him off.

I don't think Momoa is going to capture classic Aquaman at all. Granted, I haven't read lots of classic Aquaman, but I don't remember him having much trouble with either side of his heritage, unlike Namor.

DC has had plenty of successes with the general public, with the exception of the last two Superman movies. I've enjoyed DC's TV shows, and Wonder Woman's period movie looked interesting tonite -- if reminiscent of the first Cap movie. Suicide Squad's trailer looked AMAZING.

BANNED

That could be, given the director is more of a horror guy. But the pitch given tonite by Johns reminded me far more of Namor. And my point was, DC at least understands the amazing potential of an aquatic character, and is given him all sorts of support, including A-List talent, and now a movie. While all Marvel wants to do with Namor is use him to prop up other characters and see how many more humiliating ways can they kill him off.

I don't think Momoa is going to capture classic Aquaman at all. Granted, I haven't read lots of classic Aquaman, but I don't remember him having much trouble with either side of his heritage, unlike Namor.

DC has had plenty of successes with the general public, with the exception of the last two Superman movies. I've enjoyed DC's TV shows, and Wonder Woman's period movie looked interesting tonite -- if reminiscent of the first Cap movie. Suicide Squad's trailer looked AMAZING.
    As far as their respective characters go, sure, DC does give lots more attention to Aquaman than Marvel does to Namor, that's true. They had Johns write the New 52 vol, they put him in the Justice League, they had a cross-over, all the good stuff. Meanwhile Namor got killed by the JL knock-offs. It's sad, but it's reality...

Momoa's Aquaman is more like the 90s, bearded, "bad-ass" Aquaman. The only think missing is his hook hand. I don't have a problem with that, but it's just going to turn out like every other "dark" superhero movie. Meaning, tons of grandiose speeches which serve nothing but make the film appear more "intellectual" than it actually is.

Flash is good, albeit cheesy. Arrow is Batman-Lite, which is sad, because Green Arrow has always had some of the best political/racial material in all of comicdom. Gotham is...eh... I guess. I watch it, but it's eh. Constantine, which was great, got canned. But that's besides the point, as DC seems overconfident in themselves. The route they're taking is not original, unique or deeper. They're still people in tights, but instead of embracing the silliness, they're trying to insert themes of religion and philosophical questions. Which is alright when handled right, but I've seen/read the "god vs man" angle so many times, I could probably just pick up a comic from my library and find something similar. I don't know, amybe it's Hack Snyder's douchebaggery that puts me off, but I just can't get excited for the DCEU. All I've seen is a bunch of excecs trying to catch up to Marvel's 8 year plan in just 2.5 hours, while throwing some "darkness, no parents" to make themselves feel superior...

As far as their respective characters go, sure, DC does give lots more attention to Aquaman than Marvel does to Namor, that's true. They had Johns write the New 52 vol, they put him in the Justice League, they had a cross-over, all the good stuff. Meanwhile Namor got killed by the JL knock-offs. It's sad, but it's reality...
    Again, my point is, it's only a reality, because Marvel _chooses_ to trash Namor like that -- yet they claim there's something wrong with the character / world. Meanwhile, DC is elevating their Namor analog using similar traits and the aquatic world. It's total BS.

Momoa's Aquaman is more like the 90s, bearded, "bad-ass" Aquaman. The only think missing is his hook hand. I don't have a problem with that, but it's just going to turn out like every other "dark" superhero movie. Meaning, tons of grandiose speeches which serve nothing but make the film appear more "intellectual" than it actually is.
    I obviously have higher hopes than you for the Momoa Aquaman movie. Choosing Momoa, and an Asian director, tells me they are going to explore / emphasize aspects that are very much a part of Namor -- being an outsider, mixed race, torn between two worlds --- something that doesn't resonate with blonde Aquaman at all. Of course, there's more to a movie than just the director and star, so plenty could still go wrong. I'm keeping my fingers it doesn't.

I received my new Marvel Masterworks Sub-Mariner book today, the one with mostly Everett art! It looks great! It also has the lovely Everett piece he did for his son which someone posted here. Plus the memorial page by Marie Severin. And the forward is by Roy Thomas, and is mostly him talking about Everett. All around, a lovely book.

BANNED

Again, my point is, it's only a reality, because Marvel _chooses_ to trash Namor like that -- yet they claim there's something wrong with the character / world. Meanwhile, DC is elevating their Namor analog using similar traits and the aquatic world. It's total BS.
    Yeah, I wasn't dissagreeing, this is 100% true.

I obviously have higher hopes than you for the Momoa Aquaman movie. Choosing Momoa, and an Asian director, tells me they are going to explore / emphasize aspects that are very much a part of Namor -- being an outsider, mixed race, torn between two worlds --- something that doesn't resonate with blonde Aquaman at all. Of course, there's more to a movie than just the director and star, so plenty could still go wrong. I'm keeping my fingers it doesn't.
    Oh, I have no problem with the "creative team". I prefer Momoa to "Blonde White Guy #245", as he does have an imposing/unique appearance. It's DC's habit with "darkness, no parents" that doesn't fill me with hope. Still, we'll see. Apart from Batman and the Justice League I was never a big DC guy, so I'm not that pumped for their movies.

As for the Cap 75th special last night? Disappointing.

No mention of the Invaders, All-Winners, Nick Fury, Sharon Carter, Isaiah Bradley, 50s Cap, Zemo, John Walker. We got one mention of Namor and the Human Torch, when they were talking about how WW2 comics fell off in the 50s and all got cancelled. Didn't even mention Namor being the one to find him in ice, or burying him at sea when he died. There was a lot of MCU though, hyping Civil War obviously. They did get a lot of the big Cap moments spot on though. I was really happy with some of the creators they had on there however. Would've loved to see more of their comments over the AoS actors.

One thing I'll give DC is they pushed Aquaman like Marvel should've pushed Namor. DC did a lot to turn around his formerly lame image into something respectable, maybe went a little overboard with the edginess too, but it worked, and now Aquaman is one of its more successful titles. If only Marvel would take notes.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher