Page 51 of 631 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151551 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    I blanked out on Skottie Young.Instead of a Rocket Racoon solo, that was random, they could have just done a Marvel Babies series. Just have some pure mayhem as it tours around the MU. Yeah, that mohawk on Namor is a bit out of place. Lol.

As a whole though I'd prefer Nguyen.
    I like Nguyen's paintery style. It's not quite as cartoony as Young's.

I think Young did a Marvel X-babies issue, but not a whole series. Yes, Skottie Young does have a somewhat eclectic resume of books. He also wrote Magento Not a Hero, which was great.

I dunno. Maybe he was playing up the baby hair do -- toddlers sometime just have hair growing in a strip. Though ... mohawk also plays into ANGRY Namor. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    It's time for a new Namor series. Of all the current writers out there, I'd love to see Gillen take a crack at it. Or James Robinson. I also want to see Leonard Kirk on art duties. His style reminds me so much of Stuart Immonen's style from the 90's. I just love it.

I'm going to have to dig out my Byrne issues.
    I would LOVE another Namor series, especially by Gillen -- though he'd have to expand his portrayal of Namor. As much as I'd enjoy reading about Namor's amatory adventures, I don't think that book would last long. LOL! From that story he wrote in the Cabal, though, I wonder if Gillen's last pitch for a Namor series involved the nature of monarchy?

Robinson seems enamored of Jim Hammond, though I'm hoping he'll be able to get to that Namor centric arc he was considering. I'm still trying to get a grasp on Robinson's view of Namor -- but he's probably doing the same.

I do think Leonard Kirk is kicking butt on FF, and the Immonen comparison isn't out of line at all, now that you mention it. But, I don't think he'd be my first pick for a Namor book. Will have to think who I would like as artist. Like the movie casting, it's easier to figure out who I do not want, than who I'd like.

Definitely dig out those Bryne issues! Maybe we should make a week long celebration of his run?

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I would be down for a celebration of his run. I'll have to find a Namor worthy avatar for that week.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I would be down for a celebration of his run. I'll have to find a Namor worthy avatar for that week.
    Super! I'll have to dig out some scans!

BANNED

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...ars-of-marvel/

Marvel is getting a HUGE coffee table art / history book, like DC, to celebrate their 75th anniversary. And I was excited to read that Roy Thomas was going to be the author. But looking at the cover, I was again disappointed, doubly so. Not only was Namor NOT on the cover, but he was actually cut out of the original cover image!

And then reading the copy, there's no mention of him or Bill Everett either! I expect this from Marvel now, but how could Roy allow this?? Then I noticed the spine, and saw Namor was right there in the corner box recreation. Even better, I went to Taschen's site, and was pleased to see Roy came through.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/cata...ver_screen.htm

From the very first issue of pulp impresario Martin Goodman’s Marvel Comics in 1939, the comic book creators of Marvel’s Golden Age flipped the traditional fantasy script by placing the inhuman and the invincible into the real world. With the likes of the fiery android Human Torch, vengeful sea prince Sub-Mariner, and pip-squeak-turned-paragon Captain America, Marvel created a mythological universe grounded in a world that readers recognize as close to their own, brimming with humor and heartache.
    And then in the FAQs ... http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/cata...r_screen.1.htm

4. What—or who—are the book's highlights?
    Bill Everett, Carl Burgos, Joe Simon and Jack Kirby laid the groundwork (along with Stan Lee) in the “Golden Age” of the 1940s.... Featured modern masters include Barry Windsor-Smith, Jim Starlin, Frank Miller, John Byrne, Arthur Adams, and many more. But the bulk of the book showcases the explosion of creativity during the 1960s—the “Marvel Age of Comics”. In less than ten years, a tiny “bullpen” of artists and writers—Lee, Kirby, Ditko, Gene Colan, John Romita, Don Heck, Dick Ayers, along with Roy Thomas, John Buscema, Jim Steranko, among others—
    Everett gets mentioned first.

It's coming out in October, which should give me time to save up my nickel and dimes for that hefty price tag. O_O

Wow, I want that book but that price tag is very discouraging. I'm already committed to gaming pre-orders for that month too. I have 2 expensive hobbies.

In sadder news, when NA 22 comes out it'll be another BP vs Namor debate. I have Avengers Undercover on my pull list and in the letters column of today's issue they showed Walker's preview art for NA 22. It shows BP punching Namor.

BANNED

Wow, I want that book but that price tag is very discouraging. I'm already committed to gaming pre-orders for that month too. I have 2 expensive hobbies.
    Yeah, I might have to wait for some discounting. Amazon has it for 26% off pre-order, but that's still $146. Ouch.

In sadder news, when NA 22 comes out it'll be another BP vs Namor debate. I have Avengers Undercover on my pull list and in the letters column of today's issue they showed Walker's preview art for NA 22. It shows BP punching Namor.
    Wonderful. More jobbing and fluffery and hateraid. Is that Kev Walker or Brad Walker?

Actually, upon looking at those, either would be peachy.

It's Kev Walker.

And yeah it was discouraging to see that preview shown. No doubt it's part of how Namor ends up on the cabal.

You mean this image.

BPNamor.jpg

BANNED

It's Kev Walker.

And yeah it was discouraging to see that preview shown. No doubt it's part of how Namor ends up on the cabal.
    It could be. But I think it will take more than a tussle with T'challa, to make him move to the Cabal. They've got to offer a better chance of survival for Atlantis, then the Illuminati, in his mind.

On the plus side ... Kev Walker!

Quote Originally Posted by Danvidar View Post
    You mean this image.

BPNamor.jpg
    Ah, thank you!

Heh. It looks like T'challa is a tad frustrated. :P Much like when Namor punched Cap when they lost the Infinity Gems, but watch how different the reaction is to this.

I just realized. Namor's shaved hair seems to have left him and gone to T'challa. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    It could be. But I think it will take more than a tussle with T'challa, to make him move to the Cabal. They've got to offer a better chance of survival for Atlantis, then the Illuminati, in his mind.

On the plus side ... Kev Walker!
    True but the fight will probably help push him out of that group though. I suspect though it'll be a retread of the debate had about whether Namor was to blame for the GS fight which is so blah. Of course it could tie into Original Sin with BP finding out about Namor sending Thanos' troops to Wakanda.

Heh. It looks like T'challa is a tad frustrated. :P Much like when Namor punched Cap when they lost the Infinity Gems, but watch how different the reaction is to this.

I just realized. Namor's shaved hair seems to have left him and gone to T'challa. LOL!
    Yeah, another boiling point reached just like during the Infinity Gems fiasco.

Maybe that's why the fight started...BP objects to hair extensions! LOL!

BANNED

True but the fight will probably help push him out of that group though. I suspect though it'll be a retread of the debate had about whether Namor was to blame for the GS fight which is so blah. Of course it could tie into Original Sin with BP finding out about Namor sending Thanos' troops to Wakanda.
    Probably, but whatever it is, we know how it's going to go in the review thread. Does New Avengers have Original Sin tie-ins?

Yeah, another boiling point reached just like during the Infinity Gems fiasco.

Maybe that's why the fight started...BP objects to hair extensions! LOL!
    LOL! Now I have this image of Namor shaving T'challa's head while he's sleeping. :P

And yes, exactly. Another boiling point.

New Avengers doesn't have an official tie-in to New Avengers. It's an indirect connection due to what happens in Avengers when Cap regains his memories, confronts Tony, and then Tony tells Reed about it in New Avengers.

I read the NA annual again and thought Rudy's art might work for a Namor solo. Just thinking how he'll depict the depths of the ocean and the denizens of the sea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I've GOT to organize my photobucket. I know I have more panels by Kev Walker, from Thunderbolts and Avengers Arena, but I can't find them.

But he draws a great, muscular Namor, even in those long swimming trunks. And I always wondered if Jeff Parker intended for a future plot line about Satana's and Namor's tryst. Whether Satana had nefarious intentions or not. And I can just imagine the Atlantean reaction to an heir that was also the grandchild of Satan. LOL!

I am also most unhappy that Nara got killed off. She was a lot of fun, and her 'origin' had a lot of potential. :P

BANNED

New Avengers doesn't have an official tie-in to New Avengers. It's an indirect connection due to what happens in Avengers when Cap regains his memories, confronts Tony, and then Tony tells Reed about it in New Avengers.

I read the NA annual again and thought Rudy's art might work for a Namor solo. Just thinking how he'll depict the depths of the ocean and the denizens of the sea.
    Right. But I get the feeling that is going to be addressed in Avengers, and with Tony and Cap mostly. Except, of course, now Cap is fixated on trashing the Illuminati. I'm foolishly hoping Namor's Infinity strategy leads to some scenes / plots with Proxima, but yeah, it probably will be all about T'challa. Again.

I'm so annoyed at myself. I left my NA annual, and the rest of that week's comics, at my other place. grrrrrr. But I could see Marco Rudy doing an amazing job on a Namor story. His use of light and shadow would be fantastic for the undersea world.

I never actually read Thunderbolts but I did like Kev Walker's art in Arena. Nara was one of my favorite characters just due to potential and I hated her dying. I get why Hopeless did it but still, I wanted her to survive so we can see more of her.

I'm pretty sure Hickman will reference Proxima and Namor's talk in Infinity once they're face to face again. Just seems a given since it's a big plot point in the story.

Another choice besides Rudy would be JHW3. His work on Batwoman was fantastic. But he seems to be doing creator work for now aside from him doing Sandman.