Page 556 of 631 FirstFirst ... 56456506546552553554555556557558559560566606 ... LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,340 of 9460

There were so many contenders for the throne though, that if he was missing, it would have suited other's plans. So I think it could be longer, but of course we don't want Rip Van Namor. (20 years)

Maybe he's just had too many? Dorma, and that fishy lady from Alpha Flight were wives - quite frankly I never got the fish lady, but hey love is blind.

But Betty Dean, Sue, Namora and any number of others were all possible.

I always thought (waaaay back) that Diane Arliss, Tiger Shark's sister was beautiful and a possible, but it was sort of like Sue with brown hair - lots of emotion and longing (maybe more on Diane's part?); she ends up marrying someone else, Stingray...

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I always thought it would be cool to just bring Dorma back and have her or Namora be a diplomat to the surface world.

Yes please original, is rather have that than Emma Frost again. Never got that pairing. Also doesn't her time with him conflict with Namor's history ? Wasn't he engaged to Dorma during the Hellfire club arc?

Astonishing Member

Well his second wife Marrina is alive now so why not try to get the back together, I think she deserves it since they made that Alpha Flight space team yet didn't include the actual alien from the first alpha flight. But that poll it was like they were trying to rig it to make JeanXNamor.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    I don't know if anyone's read X-Men: Grand Design, but every mention of Namor has been plagued by continuity errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I've been peaking at and its pretty much the same way for every character. My hope is that it's not considered in continuity but some alternate but similar reality book.
    I glanced at the first issue at the store, and saw how ... odd their take was on Namor. I don't think the word mutant was even used in that manner, until the 1950s. Busiek called them (Golden Age Namor and Torch) Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Namor got mentioned in Avengers #675 by Rogue. "Anyone got Namor on speed dial?" she says.
    Was that when the tsunami's hit? I saw that in some preview, and wondered how the writers were going to ignore Namor, with that major water event, yet again.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    At least there is that line.

Poll on the Xboards are saying Namors gonna get with Jean. What's interesting is that he's being considered Emma's sloppy seconds and a horn dog, as well as worry, because Tom has said he wants to tell a Namor story that he will over shadow the X-men in Red.
    Where did Taylor say that? That would be great to see an actual Namor story. Of course, Robinson said the same thing, _twice_, and that went no where.

Well ... the X-books do seem to treat / define Namor as a love interest / sexual character first. Though, on second thought, they do that a lot for many characters (look at Rogue and Gambit).

I'm not sure I see Jean and Namor getting together. Reminds me too much of the Attuma weirdness during Atlantis Attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    This makes me sad.

Can someone please give Namor an original love interest?
    I agree entirely. Someone he actually can have a relationship, instead of being part of a triangle or used to make another guy jealous -- and never having a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Maybe he's just had too many? Dorma, and that fishy lady from Alpha Flight were wives - quite frankly I never got the fish lady, but hey love is blind.

But Betty Dean, Sue, Namora and any number of others were all possible.

I always thought (waaaay back) that Diane Arliss, Tiger Shark's sister was beautiful and a possible, but it was sort of like Sue with brown hair - lots of emotion and longing (maybe more on Diane's part?); she ends up marrying someone else, Stingray...
    I never got Marrina, either.

And yes, Diane Arliss wanted a relationship with Namor, but he was already in one with Dorma, and told Diane no. I think Diane made the right choice by marrying Stingray. Her interest was more infatuation, IMO.

I always thought it would be cool to just bring Dorma back and have her or Namora be a diplomat to the surface world.

Yes please original, is rather have that than Emma Frost again. Never got that pairing. Also doesn't her time with him conflict with Namor's history ? Wasn't he engaged to Dorma during the Hellfire club arc?
    No, Dorma died before Gwen Stacy did. Long before the Hellfire Club was revealed. Of course, I'm not sure how long the Hellfire Club was going before their reveal. Wait, he was wearing the black suit. So it had to be after Sub-Mariner 67, which was 30 issues AFTER Dorma was murdered.

I didn't mind the relationship with Emma, which was more friends with benefits than a lasting romantic relationship -- though I found the retcon of their relationship a bit problematic, as well as how parts of it were handled in the X-books. I also thought there should have been fallout / confrontation with Sebastian Shaw, which never happened.

Now, Namora... I don't see that romantic relationship at all. I think Pak and Parker sort of sprung that on us, and then it got dropped like a hot potato.

As for Dorma ... I'd love to see her back. Though we have seen her return twice before -- and go no where. In fact, if she isn't dead, I think watching the second Dorma, the Counter Earth Dorma, could really be interesting. Though the last we saw of them, they pretty much hated each other. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    Well his second wife Marrina is alive now so why not try to get the back together, I think she deserves it since they made that Alpha Flight space team yet didn't include the actual alien from the first alpha flight. But that poll it was like they were trying to rig it to make JeanXNamor.
    A good point. I remember a fellow Namor fan asking Fred Van Lente about a Marrina and Namor reunion, since her return, but, IIRC, he's didn't want to write her with that 'baggage' at that time.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Where did Taylor say that? That would be great to see an actual Namor story. Of course, Robinson said the same thing, _twice_, and that went no where.
    https://thechicocomicspage.com/2017/...rar-interview/

Marvel.com: Namor in particular seems to be a fascinating choice. How’s it feel to be handling literally Marvel’s oldest character?

Tom Taylor: Namor is a character who I’ve always been pretty fascinated with. I actually found drawings I did of him when I was very little, from 1980s repeats of the old 1960s Sub-Mariner cartoon. Why he shows up will be clear in X-MEN: RED #1 and his presence will be clearer as our story progresses. Some people will be aware of “The Deep” animated series, which I’m the co-creator of. Spending so much time writing in this environment has meant I’ve wanted to bring some of the deep sea to the X-Men too. You’ll see in the first pages that the ocean has a part to play.
    We're apparently getting a Seabro as Tom lovingly dubbed it

Marvel.com: We bet the team’s new headquarters was fun to work on…

Mahmud Asrar: The new HQ’s design is mostly based on its environment and founders. It’s deep underwater and built with Atlantean technology and sensibilities. Plus, there is the brand new underwater Cerebro which Tom has dubbed the “Searebro” among ourselves. It’s going to be a unique base for our heroes that is probably one of the biggest ones ever, too, which has its reasons as well.
    Well ... the X-books do seem to treat / define Namor as a love interest / sexual character first. Though, on second thought, they do that a lot for many characters (look at Rogue and Gambit).

I'm not sure I see Jean and Namor getting together. Reminds me too much of the Attuma weirdness during Atlantis Attacks.
    Yeah I'm mixed about it. But honestly if she does HAVE to have a love interest I would rather it be him then say Logan right now. I really would rather keep Wolverine away from her as far a possible, same with Scott and Emma. Although I have a feeling that in whatever book Emma Shows up in there's going to be a note about her not liking Namor working with Jean at all. *sighs*

I agree entirely. Someone he actually can have a relationship, instead of being part of a triangle or used to make another guy jealous -- and never having a chance.

I never got Marrina, either.

And yes, Diane Arliss wanted a relationship with Namor, but he was already in one with Dorma, and told Diane no. I think Diane made the right choice by marrying Stingray. Her interest was more infatuation, IMO.
    Agreed. Diane is a nice character, a fun one, but not one that I think would have worked with him. Marrina was, different, not perfect, but she was someone that he respected and cared about. Iron Cross, the woman from the Invaders was another one that was into him, but he sort of brushed her off. Wonder if Robinson was going to do anything with that.

No, Dorma died before Gwen Stacy did. Long before the Hellfire Club was revealed. Of course, I'm not sure how long the Hellfire Club was going before their reveal. Wait, he was wearing the black suit. So it had to be after Sub-Mariner 67, which was 30 issues AFTER Dorma was murdered.

I didn't mind the relationship with Emma, which was more friends with benefits than a lasting romantic relationship -- though I found the retcon of their relationship a bit problematic, as well as how parts of it were handled in the X-books. I also thought there should have been fallout / confrontation with Sebastian Shaw, which never happened.
    I was...never a fan of that pairing. I always thought that they were trying to push a triangle, and needed someone to be Emma's bad boy. Problem is that she is seen as the bad girl, and well, you need someone "worse" then her to be the opposite to Scott. Logan was out, and most of the other X men did not fit the bill with her at all. This meant they needed someone from the outside, and I guess who better then our little king of tempests Namor to do the honor. I admit to having issues with Emma since Morrison's run on the series as I preferred her with Banshee as I thought he actually was helping her more, and then the whole thing with Scott and Jean and...I really wish they had not brought Namor into that drama fest, honestly.

Now, Namora... I don't see that romantic relationship at all. I think Pak and Parker sort of sprung that on us, and then it got dropped like a hot potato.

As for Dorma ... I'd love to see her back. Though we have seen her return twice before -- and go no where. In fact, if she isn't dead, I think watching the second Dorma, the Counter Earth Dorma, could really be interesting. Though the last we saw of them, they pretty much hated each other. LOL!
    Namora, as far as I understood, they're what? First cousins, and Dorma is more like...sixth down the line or something. I always thought Namor thought of Namora as a sister, and Namorita as his niece more then anything else. That's...really weird.

I knew they did a clone thing of her, and then killed her...again. And I remember a while back people talking here about using the Sea gods and having her connected to that. Would be great if Jean used her powers to bring her back. I mean...why not? I suppose Namora is the MCU's Mera in a lot of ways, but why not have a counter to Namor. And the counter Dorma would be interesting if you played up their conflicts but also the fact that she does care for Namor himself. I think because people have a hard time telling a story about non romantic conflict, as these two didn't have any, although one way around this would be to have her, if she came back, react to his time with Emma and the X men, and maybe side with the Wakandans over the whole situation that he did while dealing with the P5 or something like that.

Here's hoping Tom doesn't ignore that past he has with her because some writers do that.

A good point. I remember a fellow Namor fan asking Fred Van Lente about a Marrina and Namor reunion, since her return, but, IIRC, he's didn't want to write her with that 'baggage' at that time.
    Yeah because dealing with the fact that your former husband killed you because you became a monster, twice, I think, would be more baggage then you suddenly becoming very angry for some reason and no explanation as to why. I hate when writers use this as an excuse. Just say "I don't want to write that romance because I don't like that romance." and leave it like that, or that they don't know the character well enough to write that moment. Sheesh.

I just got mine today! At Barnes and Noble, of all places. He looks great ... very ripped.

Found this at Wal-Mart today! They only had one BP set displayed, though, so only one Namor.

Found this at Wal-Mart today! They only had one BP set displayed, though, so only one Namor.
    Grabbed mine at Gamestop too! Probably the most accurate Namor figure to date.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

As far as bringing Dorma back, I'd be against it. That was like his Gwen Stacy moment, though it's been longer and wasn't as high profile. Writers have rarely touched on that subject. I would think Namor would mention it once in a while. Maybe that's why he doesn't prefer redheads? Reminds him too much about his first wife?

Tom's saying all the right things imo. Hopefully, he's able to give Namor a purpose in RED, and not as a catalyst in some kind of triangle, but judging by the members, that won't be the case. At absolute worse, there may be some exploration with Jean, but Jean is a character that might actually help develop him so we'll see where that goes.

Namora, as far as I understood, they're what? First cousins, and Dorma is more like...sixth down the line or something. I always thought Namor thought of Namora as a sister, and Namorita as his niece more then anything else. That's...really weird.
    Namora's father was adopted to the royal family, so while her and Namor are cousins by name, they are not cousins by blood.

Ideally, I'd rather leave that behind. But the recent popularity of Game of Thrones may have influenced writers during Secret Empire to revisit that possibility. Where we last left off, Namor and Namora were ruling Atlantis together. I'm not sure if any writers care to pick up on that. Honestly, I wouldn't mind it being dropped, but I do like the idea of Namora being more involved with Atlantis.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 01-12-2018 at 08:14 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Grabbed mine at Gamestop too! Probably the most accurate Namor figure to date.
    I may have to find a Gamestop.

I like this figure alot. He's is definitely better than the previous classic speedo figure.

Black Bolt writer Saladin Ahmed, who is doing the new Exiles book, posted this on his Twitter:

doing a Namor riff in one of these opening issues of EXILES wow this sandbox is fun to play in
    6:55 PM - 10 Jan 2018

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/sta...86367727779840

I imagine this will be an alternate universe Namor, but he's also posted a few other tweets / image of the subversive Golden Age Namor that we, his fans, have chatted about in various thread.

If you want to make sure you have a copy of X-Men Red #1, the Final Cut Off Date for Pre-Ordering is January 15. It also helps to boost sales, which is critical nowadays, to avoid an early demise.

If you are interested in variants, check out this page:

https://comicsheatingup.net/2018/01/...overs-as-well/

The two with Namor on it are

1:25

1:50

Plus there's the blank variant, so you can get an artist to draw your own custom Namor cover. There's also supposedly a Skottie Young and a John Tyler Christopher variants, but I'm guessing these will have Jean on it, not Namor. Though, Namor REALLY needs a John Tyler Christopher Action Figure variant. I mean, Stingray even has one.

https://thechicocomicspage.com/2017/...rar-interview/

We're apparently getting a Seabro as Tom lovingly dubbed it
    That would be great if it were an Atlantean Seabro. I'm wondering if this new base isn't the one the Squadron Supreme was using?

I don't know. It sounds more like Tom Taylor is interested in giving Gentle a story line. I'm starting to feel like Namor is just there because he likes ocean stuff, as in his THE DEEP, and using Namor gets him that. Then again, I'm probably just paranoid after being burned by Robinson. Twice. And the X-Office. Countless times.

Yeah I'm mixed about it. But honestly if she does HAVE to have a love interest I would rather it be him then say Logan right now. I really would rather keep Wolverine away from her as far a possible, same with Scott and Emma. Although I have a feeling that in whatever book Emma Shows up in there's going to be a note about her not liking Namor working with Jean at all. *sighs*
    Well, at least that would be Emma even remembering Namor -- or vice versa. I had expectations of SOMETHING being done between the two characters after AvX, but was yet again disappointed.

And yes, on both counts. No Emma and Scott and definitely, let's keep Wolverine away from Jean. That horse is almost as dead as the Sue and Namor's 'romance.' Not to mention. Do we really need THREE Wolverines in this book???

Agreed. Diane is a nice character, a fun one, but not one that I think would have worked with him. Marrina was, different, not perfect, but she was someone that he respected and cared about. Iron Cross, the woman from the Invaders was another one that was into him, but he sort of brushed her off. Wonder if Robinson was going to do anything with that.
    Iron Cross! There was another infatuation. But amusing to see Namor 'deal' with it, as well as the other Invaders give him grief.

I found Marinna in her original incarnation too clingy and deferring. She wasn't at all like the other women Namor in Namor's life. Van Lente's new version was more like the independent, strong willed women Namor seems to like.

I was...never a fan of that pairing. I always thought that they were trying to push a triangle, and needed someone to be Emma's bad boy. Problem is that she is seen as the bad girl, and well, you need someone "worse" then her to be the opposite to Scott. Logan was out, and most of the other X men did not fit the bill with her at all. This meant they needed someone from the outside, and I guess who better then our little king of tempests Namor to do the honor. I admit to having issues with Emma since Morrison's run on the series as I preferred her with Banshee as I thought he actually was helping her more, and then the whole thing with Scott and Jean and...I really wish they had not brought Namor into that drama fest, honestly.
    They were definitely trying to push that Namor Emma Scott triangle -- but not to show Emma or Namor as 'worse', but to show Scott as worse. Or more precisely, show Emma that there were problems in their relationship and to tighten the screws on Scott. I'm not sure if that is what Fraction originally intended, but that's where it ended up at.

I liked Namor and Emma together when they were flirty and outrageously snippy. They were funny. That's why I think they made good friends with benefits, rather as a serious relationship.

Yes. Exactly. Namora was presented as a fellow royal, closely related. Dorma was someone he grew up with, but they weren't closely related at all.

I knew they did a clone thing of her, and then killed her...again. And I remember a while back people talking here about using the Sea gods and having her connected to that. Would be great if Jean used her powers to bring her back. I mean...why not? I suppose Namora is the MCU's Mera in a lot of ways, but why not have a counter to Namor. And the counter Dorma would be interesting if you played up their conflicts but also the fact that she does care for Namor himself. I think because people have a hard time telling a story about non romantic conflict, as these two didn't have any, although one way around this would be to have her, if she came back, react to his time with Emma and the X men, and maybe side with the Wakandans over the whole situation that he did while dealing with the P5 or something like that.

Here's hoping Tom doesn't ignore that past he has with her because some writers do that.
    Again, I just don't see how Tom Taylor is going to have room to do much of anything with Namor in this team book -- too many characters.

Counter-Earth Dorma didn't care for Namor at all. IIRC, she may have killed her own Namor. And she found this one weak. But then again, she didn't really know this Namor. But I think that's an interesting place to start building a relationship. Both of them would have to overcome their initial perceptions and feelings, gradually learning about the other, and eventually influencing the other.

As far as bringing Dorma back, I'd be against it. That was like his Gwen Stacy moment, though it's been longer and wasn't as high profile. Writers have rarely touched on that subject. I would think Namor would mention it once in a while. Maybe that's why he doesn't prefer redheads? Reminds him too much about his first wife?
    I think the red head thing was a joke on Hope.

Dorma's death did motivate a few story lines back in the day. In the modern era, a few writers have mentioned it, mainly as a great loves lost reference. I think those are older writers, however, that are better read on the Sub-Mariner.

Tom's saying all the right things imo. Hopefully, he's able to give Namor a purpose in RED, and not as a catalyst in some kind of triangle, but judging by the members, that won't be the case. At absolute worse, there may be some exploration with Jean, but Jean is a character that might actually help develop him so we'll see where that goes.
    I'm cautious. But I'm buying the book until Taylor gives me a reason NOT to buy the book.

Jean develop Namor. I'm not really seeing that. Though ... now that I think on it, I'm wondering if this where we get to see Namor 'redeemed?' If so, I hope it's done with some thought, nuance, and consideration of the completely impossible situation Hickman put Namor into. Of course, maybe Namor will be helping Jean out too with her baggage. ;p

Namora's father was adopted to the royal family, so while her and Namor are cousins by name, they are not cousins by blood.

Ideally, I'd rather leave that behind. But the recent popularity of Game of Thrones may have influenced writers during Secret Empire to revisit that possibility. Where we last left off, Namor and Namora were ruling Atlantis together. I'm not sure if any writers care to pick up on that. Honestly, I wouldn't mind it being dropped, but I do like the idea of Namora being more involved with Atlantis.
    I would very much like to leave the whole Namora romance and retcon of her origin far, far behind. Remember, it wasn't just the royal adoption that made no sense. It was the royal family and the nobles and who knows how many other Atlanteans being manipulated by a secret scientist eugenics council for hundreds / thousands of years.

Secret Empire ... that's another long post, for another night. But yes, it was long past time for Namora to finally remember she was an Atlantean, considering what was happening to Atlantis the last couple of years.