Page 56 of 631 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156556 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    There were a lot of rumors about Universal finally going to do a Namor movie actually. I haven't seen any new rumors pop up lately though.
    I'm surprised they haven't done anything yet. I think Namor is an easier sell than something like Aquaman. It's too bad they probably won't be able to use Jim Hammond when they finally do get around to making a Namor film. That fight would be amazing to see on screen.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    I'm surprised they haven't done anything yet. I think Namor is an easier sell than something like Aquaman. It's too bad they probably won't be able to use Jim Hammond when they finally do get around to making a Namor film. That fight would be amazing to see on screen.
    Yeah Namor's reputation is a lot better than Aquaman despite what Johns has tried to do. Superfriends was not exactly kind.

It could be budgeting issues though for the delay or uncertainty about which characters they can actually use. Hammond vs Namor would be incredible on the big screen. In fact, I'd love to see an Invaders movie. If only the rights weren't so complicated and bogged down.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    h

Here we go.

Yeah, I saw that and thought, "Well, things are going to be a whole lot boring now." I don't know if I can deal with this book, with just T'challa and Reed in it. I thought the alt-worlds were dull.

Hmmm. I don't think so. The trident is Namor, there's an arc reactor for Tony. Beast is the X. Hulk the atom. And Strange the Eye of Agamotto. Oh, and the tuning fork thunderbolt is Black Bolt.
    Whoa! Whoa! What the heck Hickman?!?! Deep breaths, Jon. Don't get too up-in-arms yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    I like that CBR bolded this title on the Marvel October 2014 solicitations page...

Attachment 6034

ALL-NEW INVADERS #11 JAMES ROBINSON (W)
    STEVE PUGH (A)
    Cover by Michael Komarck
    CELEBRATING THE 75th ANNIVERSARY OF THE HUMAN TORCH AND SUB-MARINER WITH AN EPIC BATTLE!
    • JIM HAMMOND, THE ORIGINAL HUMAN TORCH has been driven mad by the events of Issue #10. Now it’s up to NAMOR to stop his rampage!
    • Plus the return of RADIANCE and the ALL-NEW IRON CROSS!
    • And in England, SPITFIRE and UNION JACK must face a different kind of INVADER...
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    This, however, makes me all kinds of happy. IMPERIUS REX, Fire-bug

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

The thing I take away from this cover, other than trepidation, is that there's GOT to be a reset now. Which is a shame. OR, this is yet another Alt-U book. =_=
    Oh WTF with those coffins? (tries to forget I saw Strange and Namor's coffins.)

And, yes, looks like Marvel is going for a reset: Femme Thor (I say thee nay!), new Cap (been there done that) and perhaps insincerely dead Namor and Stephen. Black Bolt, Beast and Iron Man.

I do hope this whole thing is an Alt. Universe hiccup and nothing else.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

And, yes, looks like Marvel is going for a reset: Femme Thor (I say thee nay!), new Cap (been there done that) and perhaps insincerely dead Namor and Stephen. Black Bolt, Beast and Iron Man.

I suspect it will be. Hacks have been trying to do a Marvel U reset button since Jim Shooter was EiC. Marvel's editorial and business leadership should be wise, by now to the fact that throwing continuity under the bus with a reset translates into only short-term gains, at best, for a super-hero line (just look at DC's sterling example *barf*).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    That fight would be AMAZING! And by the time they get around to a Namor movie, sometime in the next decade or two, perhaps Fox will have surrendered the rights to FF -- I don't have a lot of confidence in the new Trank movie. Plus, I'm not sure if Marvel has the rights to Jim Hammond, as long as they don't call him the Human Torch, as he was in the Cap movie.

Namor's movie has been in serious development at Universal since 2000 or there about. They had a script written by David Self (who wrote Road to Perdition), they had Chris Columbus attached to direct, either right before or right after he did Harry Potter. Then they had Jonathan Mostow (U-571 director) attached. Peter Rubin, the concept artist for Man of Steel and storyboard artist for Captain America The Winter Soldier, amongst many other films, spoke glowing of his work on the Namor movie, & that he would love to share it. It was pretty much set to go in 2009, they were tweaking the script, but something happened -- probably budget wise, as it was described as an underwater Star Wars -- and it never started filming.

Now, there's some confusion about the rights amongst fans, whether Namor is at Marvel or Universal, but Marvel Studios has expressed little interest in doing anything with Namor.

Aquaman, OTOH, will get plenty of love and attention from Warner Brothers -- though, judging from the Green Lantern movie, I'm not sure that will help. It probably won't help Namor's chances, whether it is successful or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Yeah Namor's reputation is a lot better than Aquaman despite what Johns has tried to do. Superfriends was not exactly kind.

It could be budgeting issues though for the delay or uncertainty about which characters they can actually use. Hammond vs Namor would be incredible on the big screen. In fact, I'd love to see an Invaders movie. If only the rights weren't so complicated and bogged down.
    Right after the first Captain America would have been GREAT to have an Invaders movie. They could have cameod in his movie. We might still get a chance with Peggy Carter, but I think the chances are slim.

As a character, Namor's better than Aquaman. He just has so much more conflict, both inner and outer. And he's far more snarky and sexy, which also translate better to the screen. All that said, Aquaman will always have more name recognition, because of Superfriends.

And yes, I'm pretty sure it was the budget that probably killed Namor's movie in 2009, as well as the lack of block buster success for both Hulk and Mostow's Surrogates.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    Whoa! Whoa! What the heck Hickman?!?! Deep breaths, Jon. Don't get too up-in-arms yet.
    LOL! I hear you. I was like, WUT!?!? Nooooooooooo! But like I said, there's no way they are killing off all those movie guys.

Indeed. But I'm really tired of reading about Hickman's Alt U. I'm buying this book for the Illuminati -- the 616 version. It would be nice to actually read about them.

I suspect it will be. Hacks have been trying to do a Marvel U reset button since Jim Shooter was EiC. Marvel's editorial and business leadership should be wise, by now to the fact that throwing continuity under the bus with a reset translates into only short-term gains, at best, for a super-hero line (just look at DC's sterling example *barf*).
    Well, Chaos War ended with a reset, not a reboot, after the world ended. As did Fraction's Defenders. As did at least one Dr. Strange story. That's why I was hoping Hickman was going to do something more original.

LOL! I hear you. I was like, WUT!?!? Nooooooooooo! But like I said, there's no way they are killing off all those movie guys.

Indeed. But I'm really tired of reading about Hickman's Alt U. I'm buying this book for the Illuminati -- the 616 version. It would be nice to actually read about them.

Well, Chaos War ended with a reset, not a reboot, after the world ended. As did Fraction's Defenders. As did at least one Dr. Strange story. That's why I was hoping Hickman was going to do something more original.

"Reset, not Reboot" this is a VERY important distinction. Yeah, by this definition I'm fine with resets. Avenge the Earth/Planet X has a reset in it. CoIE and Flashpoint were full on reboots and I want nothing like that for my wonderful 616.

Now as far as that cut-off-from-the-rest-of-the-Marvel-U-Namor movie goes, didn't I already solve that problem for Universal?
    Last edited by Chief Jon; 07-15-2014 at 07:10 PM. Reason: being witty.

BANNED

"Reset, not Reboot" this is a VERY important distinction. Yeah, by this definition I'm fine with resets. Avenge the Earth/Planet X has a reset in it. CoIE and Flashpoint were full on reboots and I want nothing like that for my wonderful 616.

Now as far as that cut-off-from-the-rest-of-the-Marvel-U-Namor movie goes, didn't I already solve that problem for Universal?
    LOL! Yes you did. Once you win the lottery and sign on as producer, I'm sure they can get started. ;wink

Ah, yes, Remender's story line pretty much has to have a reset also, since he destroyed the Earth, and already killed Namor -- who actually should have been on Planet X. Did he ever explain that? I know TomB outright said it was a mistake.

My problem with resets is it is such a cheat. You have these HUGE threats, and HUGE gambles and risks, that call for HUGE solutions or sacrifices ... and instead you get utter failure and a real deus ex machine, with the Wizard of Oz stepping out from behind the curtain and saying, "Ha ha ha, just joking! RESET!"

Yeah, totally unsatisfactory.

BANNED

This, however, makes me all kinds of happy. IMPERIUS REX, Fire-bug
    Indeed! Reminds me of this scene in New Invaders.

I really do love Namor and Jim together.

LOL! Yes you did. Once you win the lottery and sign on as producer, I'm sure they can get started. ;wink

Ah, yes, Remender's story line pretty much has to have a reset also, since he destroyed the Earth, and already killed Namor -- who actually should have been on Planet X. Did he ever explain that? I know TomB outright said it was a mistake.

My problem with resets is it is such a cheat. You have these HUGE threats, and HUGE gambles and risks, that call for HUGE solutions or sacrifices ... and instead you get utter failure and a real deus ex machine, with the Wizard of Oz stepping out from behind the curtain and saying, "Ha ha ha, just joking! RESET!"

Yeah, totally unsatisfactory.
    The explanation was that (off-panel) the Apocalypse Twins convinced Wanda that only Namor's Atlantean-half was mutant in nature and that his genetics from Captain MacKenzie were non-mutant human, so somehow her spell shouldn't hit him. I suspect it was more artist oversight (McNiven if I recall) than anything else, but that's the explanation they gave. I wouldn't blame the Twins for trying to take steps to prevent Namor ending up on Planet X, though. The last thing they would want is a pissed-off Namor running around Planet X dropping all kinds of wrath on them over the destruction of Atlantis.

As for UA (for those not following) we've already had our reset (a Kang story where time travel is used to correct something awful that happened? No way!) and that story should be concluding in a week or two, before we get firmly underway on the road to AXIS.

BANNED

You know, it's funny, looking back at the appreciation thread on the x-board, but in the beginning, there are some very familiar questions / comments.

What's with the wings? Does Namor need them to fly?

Namor's not a mutant, much less the first one.

Why is Namor called Prince, instead of King?

Why can't Namor get his own girl?

Who are Namor's rogues?

I wonder if we need a FAQ in the intro posts. And today's image from the old thread, some Bianchi greatness.

The thing I take away from this cover, other than trepidation, is that there's GOT to be a reset now. Which is a shame. OR, this is yet another Alt-U book. =_=
    We've seen a thousand covers like this in the old days.They do not to have to have anything to do with the inside. Or have sometimes very little to do. Or most likely a trick. Also, we are dealing with a book with multiple (many multiple) realms of reality. Who is to say these are our dimensions' heroes (at this time.) Of course it could be as DC used to say "A Dream, a Hoax, or an Imaginary Story." Maybe the whole Marvel Now is another dimension? A Dream Dimension like Bobby Ewing found taking a shower?

Lights out. :-)

Or of course, like you said: Reboot. :-(

Hmmm. As long as it's not an Ultimatum feel. O_O

As far as I can tell, it was pure speculation on the part of Latino Review, as to the identity of Universal's unnamed big picture with Legendary. And Marvel certainly isn't gearing up it's comics or anything else with Namor.
    Latino Review is known to be one of those many online publications who are providing fans with many, completely undocumented speculations about comics and comic movies. They have made a large, recent habit of it, in order to gather more viewers of course. They are amusing but, almost never documented quotes. Just speculation like we do here. Our "smart browsers" know what we click on. The PR firms for these "periodicals" know too. The titles of these "clicks" are often alarming and riot-inducing. Clicks are numbers that their advertisers see. Clicks are money.

But, of course you know that Rheged.

Other firms have bombarded us with this weeks "super-announcement" with annoying titles like "Thor is now a Girl." and "Now that Thor is a girl (heaven forbid the use of the word woman) what will this mean for Chris Hemsworth in the movie?" Pure baiting (trolling.)

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I do hope that's right Jon. I can't wait to read your column on this one. What this says to me is Marvel has no idea what to do with their characters now. In a time when they should be really investing a lot more, it seems like they're running into walls (and some of the same walls DC seems to have run into...)

That's a good point Rheged (forgot about all the other earths and jazz)...And very good points about all those resets. Whatever the case, I think Marvel would be helped along with new writers. The rehashing/rest and such is happening so frequently now I've lost count.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy