Page 561 of 631 FirstFirst ... 61461511551557558559560561562563564565571611 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,415 of 9460
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Very nice collection and display, my friend! Thanks for sharing.
    It IS amazing! It is making me rethink / consider new ways to display my own Namor collection, as well as some other characters / groups.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

dzub!! Good to see you! Hope everything has been going well with you.

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    Do you watch wrestling?
    I remember growing up hating on Chris Jericho.
    It took me last year to realize that's the point of his character!!
    Namor i feel is the same way, you have to dig beyond the surface level to actually appreciate his character.

That won't happen until there's a movie
    I don't watch wrestling, but I'm familiar with that trope. And I think you are right, in part, at least during Hickman's run. And sometime I wonder what Everett was thinking in some of his early issues. Though, in my more charitable moments, I still like to think Hickman might have been attempting something subversive with Namor.

Regardless, before that mess, I don't think Namor was portrayed or supposed to be portrayed as the villain you hate. Quite the opposite. Though he never was the simple, straight arrow good guy role that other superheroes fell into.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I guess I'm in the minority; I didn't mind Hickman's Namor.

But I agree with the thought; why are there such haters or antagonists, why does some one want to use fictional characters to score points, or "prove" someone needs to be punished?

Sure is a different era, I'll probably be deleted again.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

But I agree with the thought; why are there such haters or antagonists, why does some one want to use fictional characters to score points, or "prove" someone needs to be punished?

I liked his Namor. I liked the solo with his son. I liked Dark Reign Namor

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    dzub!! Good to see you! Hope everything has been going well with you.

I don't watch wrestling, but I'm familiar with that trope. And I think you are right, in part, at least during Hickman's run. And sometime I wonder what Everett was thinking in some of his early issues. Though, in my more charitable moments, I still like to think Hickman might have been attempting something subversive with Namor.

Regardless, before that mess, I don't think Namor was portrayed or supposed to be portrayed as the villain you hate. Quite the opposite. Though he never was the simple, straight arrow good guy role that other superheroes fell into.
    Everett and Hickman both wrote a subversive and complex Namor who doesn't fit perfectly in the simplistic morality of some versions of the superhero genre. That's what I like. But both are seemingly hard to get to some readers...
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

I'm leaning toward your assessment. But it sure was nice to see Heroic Namor in a comic again.

I'm left with a few questions about both issues. I think the BP comic is something of a retcon ... and the costume is wrong.

I think X-Men Red will require a bit more thought than I'm capable of right now. Not so much for Namor, but the ideas that Taylor seems to be going for. There seems to be a lot that Taylor has left out as far as HOW the characters arrive at the point they are at. Like I'm not sure why Namor agrees to help at all. I didn't think Atlantis even had a seat at the UN. I get the feeling that there will be flashback fill ins, though.

I'll see if I can get some scans up and some thoughts together, tomorrow.
    No seat at the UN? That's interesting. I'm not sure that a flashback will explain that but just saying that it's post SW Atlantis wouldn't make much sense - of it's one of the consequences of the aftermath of the Squdron Supreme story? Or of Secret Empire?
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    No seat at the UN? That's interesting. I'm not sure that a flashback will explain that but just saying that it's post SW Atlantis wouldn't make much sense - of it's one of the consequences of the aftermath of the Squdron Supreme story? Or of Secret Empire?
    I'll have to go digging but IIRC, the 1984 mini-series started with Namor trying to get Atlantis a seat at the UN.

I don't think that Taylor will explain about the UN thing. I AM hoping that he's going to explain why Namor is even bothering to help Jean Grey. I would think the very last thing the Atlanteans would want is to have anything to do with the surface world. And why would Namor want to have anything to do with the X-Men, after his association with them led to the Phoenix possession, and after they completely abandoned him and Atlantis after AvX.

This last page of X-Men Red, with Namor's back to everyone, made me think he's kicking himself for getting in yet ANOTHER mutant situation gone south. LOL!

I'm still confused about the whole Secret Wars situation, as far as what is changed and what everyone knows. I didn't even bother with Secret Empire. I'm still not sure why Atlantis is suddenly a city, once again, after the awfulness of Squadron Supreme.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-08-2018 at 11:18 PM.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Hyperion helped Namor rebuild Atlantis at the end of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

I'm not so sure you are in the minority. Much like Namor's appearance in the X-men ... oh my, almost TEN YEARS AGO??? Time certainly has flown. Anyway, his portrayal there had mixed reception among Namor fans, but gained him new fans, because of the exposure. Likewise Hickman using him in New Avengers gave him more exposure and new fans.

For the most part, I found both were entertaining, and Namor, as usual, stole most the scenes he was in. However, both shortchanged the character, and Hickman, even worse, tarred him as a world killer. Yes, there's the mitigating impossible situation, but it's a stain that's hard to come back from, especially when Hickman did nothing to fix the situation and Namor doesn't have his own book where it can be addressed.

And it's a BIG stick for the haters. And the only explanation is haters are going to hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I liked his Namor. I liked the solo with his son. I liked Dark Reign Namor
    I enjoyed most of those also. But I did have things I didn't like about them also. That whole business of his son didn't make any sense and I don't see him treating him like that. I mean, we're talking about guy who refused to execute any of his rogues, most who did much worse things than that kid.

Maybe it's simply I'm an old fan, who likes the Namor she grew up with. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    Hyperion helped Namor rebuild Atlantis at the end of the series.
    He did? I thought he was arrested?

Thanks for the info!

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

He did? I thought he was arrested?

Thanks for the info!
    The cover showed him being arrested, but it didn't happen in the actual issue.

I don't remember this at all. Of course, I was pretty disgusted with that book. ;p

Thanks for the scan! Namor is being far too generous.

Big week for Namor, as he's in X-Men: Red and he was also in Rise of The Black Panther #2. Thoughts on Namor being a member of X-Men: Red?
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

He actually stood up for Jean and has respect for her is a plus here, and I have a feeling Namor's going to help Jean with some of the political stuff she s gonna have to face.

I completely missed this yesterday.

But Athena-I did not!

From the tumblr: https://athena-i.tumblr.com/post/171...day-king-namor