Page 595 of 631 FirstFirst ... 95495545585591592593594595596597598599605 ... LastLast
Results 8,911 to 8,925 of 9460
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    Watching this clip of Luke makes me think of him being cocky and proud like the Submariner...okay, Luke Evans NEEDS to play Namor like now!

Luke Evans doing Gaston! LOL!

I do like him as an actor, but I'm not sure he's, or Gaston, is the best fit for Namor.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Gotta admit looking for to Namor and Hulk meeting up again in the new Defenders mini. I don't expect a full throwdown, but even a short slug-fest is more than we've had in a decade.

I'm hoping Namor's got a permanent upgrade here. All we'd need then is a powerup for Ben Grimm and Thor to stop being written as a weenie and we'd have all the classic Silver Age brawlers back.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Today's x-men red just had namor speaking in one panel after being mia for several issues.

xmr1.jpg

Can we please get Namor back into the damn speedo? I just hate that outfit.

After that he shows up with his army to aid the the x-men while wearing magneto's helmet to keep them safe from mental control.

xmr2.jpg

Namor, Atlantis and the Atlanteans have been reduced to a location (that can be destroyed at will for any reason) and a quick 'hey we need an army for this thing lets get some fish guys'. I really miss the days when namor's story was more developed and we had other atlanteans rather than random atlantean solider #33 or something.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I actually don't mind his X-Uniform. I prefer the original X-Uniform when he first joined the X-Men in X-Men Dark but this one isn't that bad.

However, this is what I can't stand
    Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post

Namor, Atlantis and the Atlanteans have been reduced to a location (that can be destroyed at will for any reason) and a quick 'hey we need an army for this thing lets get some fish guys'. I really miss the days when namor's story was more developed and we had other atlanteans rather than random atlantean solider #33 or something.
    Marvel keeps reducing Namor and Atlantis to cannon fodder and low plot drama. Namor served no purpose on the X-Men then to have Atlantis torn apart and to have his army on hand.

I'm really hoping sometime soon Marvel will make an executive call to keep both Namor and Black Panther out of the X-Fanchise. It's just not working out for them.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Today's x-men red just had namor speaking in one panel after being mia for several issues.

xmr1.jpg

After that he shows up with his army to aid the the x-men while wearing magneto's helmet to keep them safe from mental control.

xmr2.jpg

WHAT is that?

I just don't get Tom Taylor's take on Namor. Why? WHY? I just can't see Namor offering to involve Atlantis in any surface world mess. I can't see the Atlanteans going along with it, either. Especially after the X-Men / Phoenix fiasco, which basically led to the conflict with Wakanda and how many attacks / decimations of Atlantis? What a mess.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    WHAT is that?

I just don't get Tom Taylor's take on Namor. Why? WHY? I just can't see Namor offering to involve Atlantis in any surface world mess. I can't see the Atlanteans going along with it, either. Especially after the X-Men / Phoenix fiasco, which basically led to the conflict with Wakanda and how many attacks / decimations of Atlantis? What a mess.
    I personally think that either Taylor's hands were tied in how much he could use Namor, (because of how Namor showed up in the Avengers) or Taylor JUST wanted Namor because he wanted X-Men Red to take place underwater most of the time, which again makes no sense since they have zero contact with the other Atlanteans and basically zero contact with Namor in his own damn home. Most of the conflict comes from above and they are again basically using Atlantis as a prop.

I think if Taylor wanted to use Namor then he should have explored the effects of the Phoenix on Namor mind, it was shown in Jean Grey #3 (2017) that Namor may seem cool on the outside but inside he is still very effected and tormented by the Phoenix. A cosmic being made of fire that influenced his actions and started the whole domino effect of Namor and Atlantis being used as Black Panther's villain etc.

Also having Jean and Namor both being friends or dealing with the effects of the Phoenix in their lives would have been FAR more interesting in my opinion.

jeangrey3.jpg

The thing I can't not see in this art is how in the last panel Namor's ankle wings are in the wrong position, how hard is it to draw ankle wings on the ankles?

xmr1.jpg

xmr2.jpg

Namor's X-Men Red costume is already in the trash. Red - and Extermination - takes place before the new Defenders mini and Avengers #8.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

xmr1.jpg

xmr2.jpg

Thanks for posting these, I was wondering if Namor had been written off these series. And couldn't agree more on both your counts, Atlanteans and Namor simply taken as a vehicle to advance other heroes stories is frustrating. Namor looks small here. He goes to battle all covered up looking like a beta general while all the alpha soldiers go looking like Celtic warriors or Conan the barbarian. In the old days it was all his soldiers covered up and Namor front center looking like a Celtic warrior. That's one ugly uniform although honestly that's better than the one he currently wears in Avengers. The trunks should be the norm for Namor but after these two atrocities what he was wearing on the Squadron Supreme looks acceptable.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 11-08-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Thanks for posting these, I was wondering if Namor had been written off these series. And couldn't agree more on both your counts, Atlanteans and Namor simply taken as a vehicle to advance other heroes stories is frustrating. Namor looks small here. He goes to battle all covered up looking like a beta general while all the alpha soldiers go looking like Celtic warriors or Conan the barbarian. In the old days it was all his soldiers covered up and Namor front center looking like a Celtic warrior. That's one ugly uniform although honestly that's better than the one he currently wears in Avengers. The trunks should be the norm for Namor but after these two atrocities what he was wearing on the Squadron Supreme looks acceptable.
    You're welcome and I agree that Namor looks small and has been reduced greatly in the recent years. Not just in terms of his power status in the world (Atlantis was once mysterious and feared and respected but now is just used for shock factor all the time) but also in physical terms, He is supposed to be a large man, like he towers above other people, and he is called the King of Abslantis for a reason! By covering him up Marvel turned him into one of the other costumed heroes, and he isn't standing out like before. One of my favorite scenes is when the evil scientist saw Namor on his screen and Namor barely says anything but just his sheer presence makes the scientist fear him, and then he goes on to describe the Sub-Mariner showing that Namor just showing up makes him a bad ass. (from captain america 2002 #12)

comic panel 6.jpg

Namor has so much strength that is his own, not given to him by a super serum or technology. He is like a primodal force of nature and the Atlanteans are not like the humans, so why would he need anything but a speedo? I just feel like every hero has that one iconic suit that makes people think of them when they see it, for super man his suit has hardly changed because it fits him, Marvel constantly changing Namor is like trying to do a quick paint job and remarket him instead of focusing on good charcterization and story telling. (sorry I just really have a lot of thoughts on namor related subjects)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I actually don't mind his X-Uniform. I prefer the original X-Uniform when he first joined the X-Men in X-Men Dark but this one isn't that bad.

However, this is what I can't stand

Marvel keeps reducing Namor and Atlantis to cannon fodder and low plot drama. Namor served no purpose on the X-Men then to have Atlantis torn apart and to have his army on hand.

I'm really hoping sometime soon Marvel will make an executive call to keep both Namor and Black Panther out of the X-Fanchise. It's just not working out for them.
    The speedo is my favorite. It's iconic. It makes the most sense to me, given Namor's environment, station, and culture, and it says so much about his personality. And it is one of the most distinct costumes at Marvel. It also annoys me that we keep getting Namor covered up, in part, because of opinions like Tom Brevroot, who thinks Namor can't be taken seriously in a speedo. He's totally ignoring the fact that Namor was taken most seriously, and was most successful, when in the speedo. And it just shows that he, and much of Marvel, just do NOT get Namor.

But all fans have to deal with costume changes -- the original usually comes back around, because, well, iconic.

I personally think that either Taylor's hands were tied in how much he could use Namor, (because of how Namor showed up in the Avengers) or Taylor JUST wanted Namor because he wanted X-Men Red to take place underwater most of the time, which again makes no sense since they have zero contact with the other Atlanteans and basically zero contact with Namor in his own damn home. Most of the conflict comes from above and they are again basically using Atlantis as a prop.
    I think it is the second. Taylor likes ocean stuff, hence his graphic novel and animated series, The Deep. That said, he hasn't really made use of ocean environment. And his Atlantis is superficial and uniformed, ignoring the last decade of Atlantean events. On the plus side, at least he's not killing off thousands and thousands of Atlanteans for the visual of them washing up on the shore like schools of dead fish -- which was Matt Fraction's favorite use for the Atlanteans.

I think if Taylor wanted to use Namor then he should have explored the effects of the Phoenix on Namor mind, it was shown in Jean Grey #3 (2017) that Namor may seem cool on the outside but inside he is still very effected and tormented by the Phoenix. A cosmic being made of fire that influenced his actions and started the whole domino effect of Namor and Atlantis being used as Black Panther's villain etc.

Also having Jean and Namor both being friends or dealing with the effects of the Phoenix in their lives would have been FAR more interesting in my opinion.

jeangrey3.jpg

The thing I can't not see in this art is how in the last panel Namor's ankle wings are in the wrong position, how hard is it to draw ankle wings on the ankles?
    At least the artist remembered Namor had ankle wings. I've seen a few where Namor is missing them entirely.

I agree. THAT would be one of my main reasons for having Namor on the team and something that I really would like explored / resolved. But that isn't the story that Taylor wants to tell. His X-Men Red really isn't a team book. It's a Jean Grey book. He's thrown characters in the book, and given them little to do, other than support Jean -- Namor, Gambit, Storm, etc.

Worse, IMO, is that his Namor is flat, under powered, and his decisions make little sense. That nonsense with the Teen Abomination attacking Atlantis was just painful to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    What I'm wondering is WHY are the Atlanteans half dressed, and Namor completely covered up, when the alleged reason for Namor's outfit is to avoid being infected by nanites? Doesn't that leave the Atlantean army open to turning?

I don't know. At least the Avengers outfit isn't covered up with Xs and has more aquatic elements.

You're welcome and I agree that Namor looks small and has been reduced greatly in the recent years. Not just in terms of his power status in the world (Atlantis was once mysterious and feared and respected but now is just used for shock factor all the time) but also in physical terms, He is supposed to be a large man, like he towers above other people, and he is called the King of Abslantis for a reason! By covering him up Marvel turned him into one of the other costumed heroes, and he isn't standing out like before. One of my favorite scenes is when the evil scientist saw Namor on his screen and Namor barely says anything but just his sheer presence makes the scientist fear him, and then he goes on to describe the Sub-Mariner showing that Namor just showing up makes him a bad ass. (from captain america 2002 #12)

comic panel 6.jpg

Namor has so much strength that is his own, not given to him by a super serum or technology. He is like a primodal force of nature and the Atlanteans are not like the humans, so why would he need anything but a speedo? I just feel like every hero has that one iconic suit that makes people think of them when they see it, for super man his suit has hardly changed because it fits him, Marvel constantly changing Namor is like trying to do a quick paint job and remarket him instead of focusing on good charcterization and story telling. (sorry I just really have a lot of thoughts on namor related subjects)
    I love that page! Great art and portrayal of Namor. And yes, I agree entirely with your assessment there.

The big problem is that we are only seeing Namor and Atlantis as guest stars in other characters books, where the story (or the portrayal) really isn't about him. Until we get a Namor solo book, he and Atlantis are going to be treated as malleable cardboard to prop up other characters and stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Gotta admit looking for to Namor and Hulk meeting up again in the new Defenders mini. I don't expect a full throwdown, but even a short slug-fest is more than we've had in a decade.

I'm hoping Namor's got a permanent upgrade here. All we'd need then is a powerup for Ben Grimm and Thor to stop being written as a weenie and we'd have all the classic Silver Age brawlers back.
    I'd settle for writers writing Namor as powerful as he always been. But yes, it seems like far too much power creep for other characters, and none for Namor. But it again goes back to not having his own book.

I agree. I love Namor and Hulk's bickering in the Defenders. It always a lot of fun, and rarely goes anywhere, because Dad Doctor Strange usually jumps in. Now that I think about it, that's probably why we get so many 'battles' between them on John Cimino's list.

I was wondering if the She-Hulk attack on Namor in the last Avengers was a reference to this from Busiek and Larsen's Defenders.

Look who is background in Fantastic Four #3, in front of Black Panther. Namorita! In a new outfit? I guess Aaron's black eyed Namor wasn't asked to the FF gathering. Though, again, you would think that Namorita MIGHT be in Atlantis helping out with all the starving children.

Look who is background in Fantastic Four #3, in front of Black Panther. Namorita! In a new outfit? I guess Aaron's black eyed Namor wasn't asked to the FF gathering. Though, again, you would think that Namorita MIGHT be in Atlantis helping out with all the starving children.
    Rev, you have to STOP making so much sense! Someone might actually hear you!
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Rev, you have to STOP making so much sense! Someone might actually hear you!
    LOL!

Well, I hate to complain about a Namorita appearance, since we so rarely see or hear of her, but ...

I am feeling the need for a list of Atlanteans and their status.

I agree. THAT would be one of my main reasons for having Namor on the team and something that I really would like explored / resolved. But that isn't the story that Taylor wants to tell. His X-Men Red really isn't a team book. It's a Jean Grey book. He's thrown characters in the book, and given them little to do, other than support Jean -- Namor, Gambit, Storm, etc.

Worse, IMO, is that his Namor is flat, under powered, and his decisions make little sense. That nonsense with the Teen Abomination attacking Atlantis was just painful to read.

What I'm wondering is WHY are the Atlanteans half dressed, and Namor completely covered up, when the alleged reason for Namor's outfit is to avoid being infected by nanites? Doesn't that leave the Atlantean army open to turning?

The big problem is that we are only seeing Namor and Atlantis as guest stars in other characters books, where the story (or the portrayal) really isn't about him. Until we get a Namor solo book, he and Atlantis are going to be treated as malleable cardboard to prop up other characters and stories.
    The book did say that all the nanites were destroyed when Storm sent that well... storm, which honestly should have been Namor in my opinion, calling up giant waves to crush his enemies is his thing. So Nova was making more, but then Namor still kept the outfit, it would have been a good time to get him out of that. I love the speedo the best too.

I have been waiting for a new Namor series too, I got into the character a few years after Namor the First Mutant so I have been playing catch up ever since.

In your opinion who could write a good Namor solo? What should the book be about? Is there a chance we could get one next year? He seems to be getting some hype with the 80th anniversary and so I really hope that we can score a solo out of this.

I really want the solo to really focus on Atlantis and try to keep all surface things just away for a while, to be like Tales to Astonish when the plot was around Namor, Dorma, Vasthi etc. but I want more Namora and Nita being in there, maybe bring back Dorma and Vasthi if I could. To have them explore more about Atlantis and its people, and more about Atlantean society and culture, to have Namor come to grips with his destiny that Neptune told him had had, which was that he was the only one who could save the world because of who he was, being both half human and half atlantean. I want Namor to meet Cleito once more and Evenor the guardian, they only showed up in one comic but knowing that the Atlantean goddess has Namor's best interests would be such a welcome change from, Namor has no allies in his life once more. Maybe he could go on a mission to save Dorma.

Before I knew Nita was back I wanted the series to revolve around them reviving Nita. But now i just want them to be together and actually have a good plot going between the royal family and the citizens.

I love Nita and really cant wait for a submariner family reunion! Namor was crushed after her death, and when Namora awoke and found out so was she, the comics where they are both grieving just get me each time.