Page 617 of 631 FirstFirst ... 117517567607613614615616617618619620621627 ... LastLast
Results 9,241 to 9,255 of 9460

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    This is more or less the Namor I would be drawing if it was up to me. That's a guy that for sure fits the 6'2" 278 pounds description.
    I don't think this version of Namor would be a effective swimmer. I also don't think that build type fits the character. Swimmers builds are more streamline and are harder to put on that kind of muscle just due to the nature of the sport.

French Olympic Swim Team

American Olympic Swim Team

As you can see here even the more boxier guys on the American Olympic swim team still have a more stream line physique.

But again that is just how I feel.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Mighty Member

Sorry Dragons Chi but even my Namorita here looks stronger and bulkier than those guys.

People always bring the swimming aspect. You can encase Namor's body type in a swimmer's build if he was exclusively a superhero whose power is to swim really fast like the Flash or Quicksilver is to run but Namor is so much more than just swimming, you could argue that STRENGTH is the defining power of Namor. And comics being such a visual medium equals strength with size. Look at how the stronger the character the bigger its proportions. You go from Colossus to Hercules, Thor then Hulk, Thanos. If Sub-mariner is represented with a swimmers build you can be sure he will be constantly pushed around by the big guys in crossovers etc. as they mostly do now. I like how Leonard Kirk draws both Hyperion and Submariner both big and bulky because a Submariner with that swimmers build would have look in a clear disadvantage visually, he went down but he looked powerful throughout the entire fight. And then you have John Byrne who used exactly that swimmers build for his run. So in truth every artist will bring his version. I'm just thankful for the guys that bring the strength as size and bulk in their drawing like Geof Isherwood, Ariel Olivetti, Ed McGuinnes IMO that will always be the best Namor and the one that convinces me to spend my hard dollar.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 12-16-2018 at 09:27 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I think that Namor is a bit more than 278, Thor-El. ;p

The 90s Namor would have been your ideal Namor then.
    Not 90s Jae Lee version for sure, that was a nightmare of veins and hair with a super small waist where you couldn't even distinguish the anatomy.

Mighty Member

Just stumbled into this cool trailer, some more art from the Defenders one shot is revealed:

https://www.marvel.com/watch/trailer...=5979629763001

For me having Super Strength as a power has always been more impressive and "magical" when it came from the guys who you really couldn't tell had the power. But I'm also a swimmer so Im biased in that regard.

But even in saying that Namor has best Hercules and the Hulk before on multiple occasions in the strength category. He was ranked above Colossus in the strength category when Spider-Man did his list here:

And most studies well show that comparatively athletes with more "well-rounded" muscle structures tend to be more fit. But I will just agree to disagree. It's nice for me to have a "true swimmer" superhero but I do understand that others might want something else.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    For me having Super Strength as a power has always been more impressive and "magical" when it came from the guys who you really couldn't tell had the power. But I'm also a swimmer so Im biased in that regard.

But even in saying that Namor has best Hercules and the Hulk before on multiple occasions in the strength category. He was ranked above Colossus in the strength category when Spider-Man did his list here:

And most studies well show that comparatively athletes with more "well-rounded" muscle structures tend to be more fit. But I will just agree to disagree. It's nice for me to have a "true swimmer" superhero but I do understand that others might want something else.
    It would be interesting to see Marvel do a more updated version of these lists. Silver Surfer being in the same strength class as Spider-man is funny.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Mighty Member

About the "magical" aspect of a slimmer guy displaying superstrength it seems to me that it ties better with a character like Spider-man. There's an aspect of being humble tied with that "surprise" aspect which Namor totally lacks. Even wearing a speedo goes perfectly with his cocky attitude and arrogance. Its sort of ridiculous to me a guy with a swimmers build walking around with flared out arms, back straight, head held high in a speedo cause that's a very normal build in humans but in a bodybuilder frame it sorts of ties in better with that powerful cocky stance.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I don't think this version of Namor would be a effective swimmer. I also don't think that build type fits the character. Swimmers builds are more streamline and are harder to put on that kind of muscle just due to the nature of the sport.

French Olympic Swim Team

American Olympic Swim Team

As you can see here even the more boxier guys on the American Olympic swim team still have a more stream line physique.

But again that is just how I feel.

I think all physique and speedo discussions should involve PICTURES. LOL!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    It would be interesting to see Marvel do a more updated version of these lists. Silver Surfer being in the same strength class as Spider-man is funny.
    Silver Surfer is in that class because this is pure physical strength rating so it doesn't includes his cosmic powers. And Marvel has screwed up so much with these characters power levels and is so inconsistent nowadays I will never regard new lists as more reliable than the old ones at least for the classic established characters. Expect the new popular characters to creep up in the new charts by a couple of classes to what they should be in.

For me, it's about the physical presence for Namor. I prefer a slimmer look, but he still has to be physically intimidating. John Buscema's and Bill Everett's 70s Namor are the ideal body type for the character, IMO.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I don't know about that list. Seems off, even back then.

About the "magical" aspect of a slimmer guy displaying superstrength it seems to me that it ties better with a character like Spider-man. There's an aspect of being humble tied with that "surprise" aspect which Namor totally lacks. Even wearing a speedo goes perfectly with his cocky attitude and arrogance. Its sort of ridiculous to me a guy with a swimmers build walking around with flared out arms, back straight, head held high in a speedo cause that's a very normal build in humans but in a bodybuilder frame it sorts of ties in better with that powerful cocky stance.
    I'm assuming that you have not interacted with that many male swimmers? They are nothing if not cocky. lol

There is a level of confidence that is ingrained in the sport. To a certain extant it critical to the sport. It's pretty much is the only sport where you are required to be almost naked in front of large groups of people for hours at a time. (some meets run 8-10 hrs) Not only that you are dripping wet, leaving very little to the imagination. (If you know what I mean) It requires the person to have or quickly develop a level of self-confidence most people ,who are not swimmers, have. Especially, in America were there seems to be a lot of hang ups with their physical builds and nudity.

Arrogant and Cocky work perfectly for Namor and his build.
    I don't know about that list. Seems off, even back then.
    It was sorta of an estimation. Like a start point without being in a stressful situation or outside influences, like water with Namor.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-16-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Mighty Member

For me, it's about the physical presence for Namor. I prefer a slimmer look, but he still has to be physically intimidating. John Buscema's and Bill Everett's 70s Namor are the ideal body type for the character, IMO.

I do like these versions a lot. Buscema's and Everett's versions weren't as bulky but they draw very pronounced muscle bellies which is the curvature of the muscles, so shoulders, chest, biceps, triceps, quads, calves, forearms, everything is super defined like a very stocky gymnast. While a guy like Byrne and Coipiel draw a softer body with less pronounced muscles.

Just stumbled into this cool trailer, some more art from the Defenders one shot is revealed:

https://www.marvel.com/watch/trailer...=5979629763001
    That looks so awesome! I'm glad Kataw plays a role.

From the preview, it turns out one of the enemies is an old Defenders foe! spoilers:
    Nebulon! In his ugly form.
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

I'm assuming that you have not interacted with that many male swimmers? They are nothing if not cocky. lol

There is a level of confidence that is ingrained in the sport. To a certain extant it critical to the sport. It pretty much is the only sport where you are required to almost naked in front of large groups of people for hours at a time. (some meets run 8-10 hrs) Not only that you are dripping wet, leaving very little to the imagination. (If you know what I mean) It requires the person to have or quickly develop a level of self-confidence most people who are not swimmers have. Especially, in America were there seems to be a lot of hang ups with their physical builds and nudity.

Arrogant and Cocky work perfectly for Namor and his build.

It was sorta of an estimation. Like a start point without being in a stressful situation or outside influences, like water with Namor.
    I was a swimmer in college. And I know muscle mass typically don't go well with speed on swimming. There was a guy in our team that was pure muscle and he was the slowest one in our group, we would call him the "rock man" just teasing. But I'm talking pure imagery and fantasy so in a world were a man can fly by tiny little wings in his ankles that shouldn't matter.