Page 624 of 631 FirstFirst ... 124524574614620621622623624625626627628 ... LastLast
Results 9,346 to 9,360 of 9460
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I might actually go see it again. Which is a big deal for me since I pretty much sworn off a DC movies. But I'm back now for the ones I have a feeling will be good.
    Wow. It must have great.

I liked Wonder Woman. I think that's the only one I've seen in the theatre. No, wait, I went to Suicide Squad -- I loved that book when it first came out.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Bendis posted this on his tumblr. A Steve Rude painting on the classic superhero fight, Sub-Mariner vs Human Torch.

Great image, but I can't believe Steve Rude left off Namor's wings!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Does Marvel consider Namor or the original android Human Torch as its first superhero? Is it a tie between them?

Or does that honor go to another character?

Or does Marvel not even recognize any one character as its Big Bang the way that DC does Superman?

Because if any of those oldest characters represents how Marvel is different from DC, it's very clearly the Sub-Mariner, IMHO.

Just wondering if Namor has ever gotten that distinction, either in-story or IRL publishing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Parody two:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApXY...ature=youtu.be

It's kinda funny, but it makes me wonder if Kimmel is just using Namor because its easy to make fun of him or if Marvel/Disney want people to be more aware of the character since isn't ABC owned by Disney?
    The first parody made me cringe, the second one even more! I also read the comments people leave on youtube which were pretty much about how much Namor sucks and how great Aquaman is but one in particular said " how the tables have turned" which is exactly the effect of this movie. I saw the Aquaman movie yesterday and it was great! The truth is the characters are so similar DC might have claimed the concept by taking it to screen first and leaving Marvel not even wanting to try. That's my worst fear. But if Marvel does a period piece like Captain America it can be different and unique enough as the Submariner was a highly popular character at that time with as much as three different comic book title appearances.

I'm not saying the characters are similar because in truth they are quite different but the aspects of being an aquatic hero and the connection with Atlantis which Namor claimed first in the comics. One key difference is that while Aquaman was raised on the surface and feels more like a human, Namor was raised on Atlantis and feels more like an Atlantean, which makes him a total outsider in the audience's view plus Namor's hot hotheadedness and temper, that Aquaman lacks.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 12-22-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Does Marvel consider Namor or the original android Human Torch as its first superhero? Is it a tie between them?

Or does Marvel not even recognize any one character as its Big Bang the way that DC does Superman?

Because if any of those oldest characters represents how Marvel is different from DC, it's very clearly the Sub-Mariner, IMHO.

Just wondering if Namor has ever gotten that distinction, either in-story or IRL publishing.
    They flip flop between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Oh, meant to add ... Somewhere I was reading, but I don't think I saved it, that some of the survivors of Atlantis settled in Cimmeria, so Conan is a descendant of Atlanteans. They go on to say the Cimmerians became the ancestors of the Scottish, Irish, etc. So that makes Namor Atlantean from BOTH his parents!
    Wait...if Conan in 616 proper cannon now?
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Wait...if Conan in 616 proper cannon now?
    I'm pretty sure that Conan has always been 616 proper, i.e. part of it's pre-history. The Serpent Crown is a relic of Kull's age. We've had a Marvel Team Up between Red Sonja and Spider-Man.

I have to agree with you 100% there.

I'm not sure if Marvel does so... At least not until Busiek's and Ross' MARVELS, in which it pretty much states the first Marvels are Namor AND Torch.

Though, for the Marvel most of us know, the one that started in the Silver Age, I'd have to say, the Fantastic Four is probably the Big Bang originator.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    They flip flop between the two.

They have recently. Because James Robinson considers Jim Hammond first, and may have presented it as such in the Invaders run, but he's ignoring the facts.

1) Namor is the older character. He appeared first in Motion Picture Funnies Weekly in April, I believe. The Marvel Comics #1 story is actually a reprint with four new pages added.

2) Namor is the older character. He was born in the 1920s. Torch was born in 1939. ;p

3) Most importantly, Saga of Sub-Mariner #1 states it outright in the banner of the splash page, that Namor is Marvel's First Superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    The first parody made me cringe, the second one even more! I also read the comments people leave on youtube which were pretty much about how much Namor sucks and how great Aquaman is but one in particular said " how the tables have turned" which is exactly the effect of this movie. I saw the Aquaman movie yesterday and it was great! The truth is the characters are so similar DC might have claimed the concept by taking it to screen first and leaving Marvel not even wanting to try. That's my worst fear. But if Marvel does a period piece like Captain America it can be different and unique enough as the Submariner was a highly popular character at that time with as much as three different comic book title appearances.

I'm not saying the characters are similar because in truth they are quite different but the aspects of being an aquatic hero and the connection with Atlantis which Namor claimed first in the comics. One key difference is that while Aquaman was raised on the surface and feels more like a human, Namor was raised on Atlantis and feels more like an Atlantean, which makes him a total outsider in the audience's view plus Namor's hot hotheadedness and temper, that Aquaman lacks.
    Glad to hear another positive review! And yes, there's plenty of difference between the two characters that could be explored, if Marvel would wise up.

You know what's really sad? Because of Marvel's game / merchandise / cartoon embargo, Kimmel's "Namor" is the most national exposure Namor has gotten since his 1960s cartoon. More people have seen Kimmel's "Namor" than have probably read Namor in a comic in the last decade, maybe two decades, combined. Thank you so very much, Marvel.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

1) Namor is the older character. He appeared first in Motion Picture Funnies Weekly in April, I believe. The Marvel Comics #1 story is actually a reprint with four new pages added.

2) Namor is the older character. He was born in the 1920s. Torch was born in 1939. ;p

3) Most importantly, Saga of Sub-Mariner #1 states it outright in the banner of the splash page, that Namor is Marvel's First Superhero.
    I have always thought Namor to be the first Marvel superhero and the first antihero in comics. Yet if you want to say who was the first just plain hero you could say Torch since he isn't an anti-hero like Namor, but yeah Namor was totally first with a ton of stuff not just being Marvel's first.

-First comic book royalty
    -First marvel super hero character edit: sorry he was a timely character when he was first introduced
    -First comic anti-hero
    -First Mutant
    -First Underwater hero/water breathing character/royal of Atlantis
    -First biracial super hero character in comics
    -First superhero to fly (superman flew way later than Namor)
    -First to be featured fighting Nazis on the cover of his comic

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post

I mean parody's are meant to poke fun and honestly I was just ok with this even though I agree it was really cringy. People who say that really just don't know the character and this parody does make him look like a joke, which is what had been happening for years to Aquaman, but now that aquaman has adopted alot of Namor's quailties/look suddenly he is a bad ass and Namor is the joke? I'm trying to shrug it off because I'm really sick of the whole aquaman vs namor thing at this point but it won't ever really die down. :/
    Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 12-22-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I'll have to dig around and see if I can find that splash page from Saga of the Sub-Mariner.

I mean parody's are meant to poke fun and honestly I was just ok with this even though I agree it was really cringy. People who say that really just don't know the character and this parody does make him look like a joke, which is what had been happening for years to Aquaman, but now that aquaman has adopted alot of Namor's quailties/look suddenly he is a bad ass and Namor is the joke? I'm trying to shrug it off because I'm really sick of the whole aquaman vs namor thing at this point but it won't ever really die down. :/
    Yes, it was cringy in some places, but I LOLed at some of it too. But I like Hembeck and Marie Severin's parody's too. Granted, those are probably done with more love than Kimmel's. Or maybe not. Maybe this is Kimmel's way of reminding people that Marvel has the aquatic superhero?

I'll have to dig around and see if I can find that splash page from Saga of the Sub-Mariner.

Yes, it was cringy in some places, but I LOLed at some of it too. But I like Hembeck and Marie Severin's parody's too. Granted, those are probably done with more love than Kimmel's. Or maybe not. Maybe this is Kimmel's way of reminding people that Marvel has the aquatic superhero?
    Lol yeah some it was funny, and I know which page you are talking about, its in small print near the top of the splash page in issue 1 of saga of the sub-mariner:

saga1.jpg

Which honestly I really liked Saga of the Sub-Mariner and I tend to rec it to any newbies who want a quick history lesson on Namor. There was this other comic I just read the other day, from Weapon X (2002) #14 where Mister Sinster watches Namor take down an enemy sub he was on since he was on the Nazi side and was so wowed by him that he gets some of Namor's blood to make a clone who faces off against the Invaders. It's like Namor's villains are always amazed by him and his abilities. lol

weaponx1.jpg

weaponx2.jpg

'there were none fitter than the savage sub-mariner' is a line in there. lol it's true.
    Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 12-22-2018 at 03:32 PM.

I checked out that sale they are having on comixology but I really didn't see much Namor comics up for grabs? I might get the Depth because I really love that comic and would like a physical copy. The art was very good and I love the whole look of Namor and how he was thought a myth, and is protector of Atlantis

Lol yeah some it was funny, and I know which page you are talking about, its in small print near the top of the splash page in issue 1 of saga of the sub-mariner:

saga1.jpg

Which honestly I really liked Saga of the Sub-Mariner and I tend to rec it to any newbies who want a quick history lesson on Namor.
    That's it! And I do the same. It's a great introduction, IMO, told in Namor's own voice!

There was this other comic I just read the other day, from Weapon X (2002) #14 where Mister Sinster watches Namor take down an enemy sub he was on since he was on the Nazi side and was so wowed by him that he gets some of Namor's blood to make a clone who faces off against the Invaders. It's like Namor's villains are always amazed by him and his abilities. lol

weaponx1.jpg

weaponx2.jpg

'there were none fitter than the savage sub-mariner' is a line in there. lol it's true.
    I've always loved those pages. It's nice to see Namor appreciated. Even if it is only for his genes. LOL! However, it does annoy me somewhat, that they never even acknowledged their prior meeting in Gillen's X-Men. Of course, the X-office refused to do the same with Namor and Dr. Nemesis -- which was even worse, since that would have been an epic of snark.

I checked out that sale they are having on comixology but I really didn't see much Namor comics up for grabs? I might get the Depth because I really love that comic and would like a physical copy. The art was very good and I love the whole look of Namor and how he was thought a myth, and is protector of Atlantis
    Haven't looked at it yet. But I intend to. Some great prices there.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-22-2018 at 07:53 PM.