Page 628 of 631 FirstFirst ... 128528578618624625626627628629630631 LastLast
Results 9,406 to 9,420 of 9460
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Bioelectrical senses is what Namor used to see Sue Storm. They called it radar or sonar sense, IIRC. But it's echolocation.

He's had the ability to absorb and discharge electricity from the Golden Age to the Modern Age.

I'm not sure if you are filing this under invulnerable skin, but in the Torch mini, they said Namor was actually was fireproof.

He can also sense the oceans currents from long distances (as seen in Avengers Invaders). I think he can also sense water, as he manages to find it when on land and when needed.

Namor can swim fast enough to create whirlpools.

In Namor the First Mutant, they said he was the conduit of all Atlantean magic.

The blood of Namor / Atlantean royalty is a magical ingredient.

Namor is super fast.

Namor is unaffected by freezing cold.

Namor can see in near darkness.

Namor is a linguist. He is fluent in 10 - 15 languages.

Namor is empathetic / telepathic with ocean animals.

In the Golden Age, the Atlanteans, including Namor, were telepathic.

In the Golden Age, Namor was like Tony Stark. He could whip out flying jeeps, designed Atlantean fleets, etc.

The pufferfish power also stated that he could mimic ALL the ocean life, but it also stated he no longer had those powers.
    Oh yes! I had totally forgotten his ability to learn languages! I have a head canon that Namor is not just good with languages but is a Hyperployglot (One who masters or becomes fluent in many different languages). Oh I also didn't include fireproof in that too, thanks!

I read a comic from his time in the x-men where Namor states he can smell water, so yes he totally dos have that ability to know when water is near by. Thank you so much for this list! I wasn't sure about his empathetic/telepathic powers but that is so cool.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Oh yes! I had totally forgotten his ability to learn languages! I have a head canon that Namor is not just good with languages but is a Hyperployglot (One who masters or becomes fluent in many different languages). Oh I also didn't include fireproof in that too, thanks!

I read a comic from his time in the x-men where Namor states he can smell water, so yes he totally dos have that ability to know when water is near by. Thank you so much for this list! I wasn't sure about his empathetic/telepathic powers but that is so cool.
    Namor's abilities with sea life, like his bio-electric abilities, varies with the writer. But both have been shown in Silver Age - modern comics. I don't think it is like Aquaman's ability to _command_ sea life, but he's shown ... understanding what's going on with animals, and can hitch a ride with manta rays, or play with dolphins and stuff like that.

You are welcome, but the list is incomplete, I'm sure. Just what I recall off the top of my head. The Golden Age had some crazy stuff.

Interesting. I remember Namor's languages from panels about his childhood education ... and I think he's the translator for the German stuff in Invaders. But to your point (I was unaware of that term hyperpolyglot), it is definitely a possibility. Remember, somehow, he was able to communicate with the alien looking queen in Gillen's X-men.

I found the fireproof skin a bit iffy initially, but the more I thought about, the more it made sense. I mean, as many times as he's fought Torches, and he has never had a single burn?

Oh, that reminds me. Another ability, is that Namor can heal supernaturally quickly in water. Actually, all his abilities are enhanced by water. Not sure what the 'ability' would be.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Animal Telepathy

Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-27-2018 at 03:13 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Absorb and Redirect Electricity

Mental Resistance

Telescopic/Enhanced Vision
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-27-2018 at 03:14 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

More Telepathy

More Mental Resistance

Enhanced Sense of Touch

Fire Resistance ( Here he is swimming to a sea of oil lit on Fire)

Skin so tough that he brushes off lasers

Radar Vision

1. Namor and T'challa's first meeting was retconned so that a young T'challa met and fought Namor (in Rise of the Black Panther #3) instead of that first Invaders/Avengers meeting/fight from the 70's Invaders run.

Priest had the two mingle when he had T'challa holding court with Doom, Namor, and Magneto (each rulers of their nations). It was obvious they all respected one another...but they looked at each other as potential future adversaries...but royalty had them be respectful (remember BP would eventually fall out with Doom as well).

2. Namor and T'challa have NEVER been on equal ground when it comes to fighting or attacks on the other's nation.

That's the point...they AREN'T but (and I'll admit it's used to show how smart T'challa is) so T'challa uses strategy to gain the advantage. In a one on one fight Namor would win. Namor could/tear through a great deal of Marvel characters. And Namor knows that T'challa knows this...so they can't go at each other personally...but they could take shots at each other in other ways.

- The first time they 'went at it' was because Namor was possessed by the phoenix force, he hadn't iirc ever attacked Wakanda before, and the most the had with T'challa was a few misunderstanding fights, and they each had a healthy respect for each other that mainly had them ignoring the other unless they needed to work together, they weren't best buddies but they respected each other as monarchs. Namor even gave T'challa and Storm an island for their wedding/honeymoon gift.

The went at it in Enemy of the State during Priest's run. They also tussled when some Atlantians (Deviants I think) sought asylum in Wakanda. Those events set the stage (of kingly respect yet preemptive and simmering hostility) that later writers inflamed. I'd like to think that if Priest would have kept at Panther their conflict would be much more engaging than the soap opera it turned into. It would have been akin to two world superpowers flexing and the rest of the world trying to keep them at bay from each other.

- Phoenix Namor's attack on Wakanda was B.S. pure and simple, he had no reason to attack them if he wasn't under the phoenix power, they hadn't hurt Atlantis and Namor was manipulated by Emma who was also under the phoenix power. T'challa had no reason to side with the Avengers to hide Hope especially considering the long and well known stance of Wakanda not interfering with outsiders. The writers just wanted to have a big 'stake' for their comic and of course now it's the main thing Namor is remembered for and also the thing that has come back time and time again to hurt Namor's character and make it seem like he was a war mongering tyrant King. The whole phoenix five event was badly written imo especially for Namor's character. They just said, well that guy attacks the surface all the time so this is in character for him.

Exactly...later writers blew up a civil "cold war" into a tit for tat between the two with citizens of each country paying the price. I hated the AvX storyline because it split Storm and Panther. BUT it did show (time and time again) that even as enemies they are kings and they can try to follow the greater good and work together even as Namor antagonizes Panther and T'challa has to deal with unhappy ancestors who want him to kill Namor. It does show the strength of each of them...and their weakness. Basically since Namor couldn't pester Reed as much...someone had the "bright idea" to make T'challa Namor's new toy.

- Namor then begs? on his knees? to save his people and lies??? By pointing Proxmia towards Wakanda to attack them in his stead? I'm sorry but this is B.S. too. Namor is so notorious for not begging or even thanking people properly, he would never do that in front of an enemy because that would show weakness, and Namor really doesn't lie, he is one of the most honest characters and it often gets him on the bad side of other characters since he is very frank with his opinions and thoughts but the most damning thing is that Namor is sending SOMEONE else to have his vengeance. That right there, I don't believe, because Namor wouldn't let anyone have what he considers his right/duty to war/fight for his people. He is always the first one to throw himself on the front lines for Atlantis and her people. Now don't get me wrong, there were many aspects of Hickman's run that I did like but he honestly didn't write classic Namor, he used Namor and sealed the characters fate to forever be Wakanda's and Black Panther's enemy.

No Namor normally wouldn't send a 3rd party BUT he took a move out of T'challa's book. He's playing the long game. Is that something Namor usually doesn't do? Sure. He's all IMPERIUS REX!! But it's a nice move. And T'challa knew he did it...and Namor admitted as much. They aren't enemies....but they don't like each other...but no one is the "good guy" because they've both done jacked up stuff to each other however they HAVE to work together. I mean would you rather Namor endlessy taunt Reed about wanting Sue Richard? At least in T'challa we have this potential world shattering tussle on the horizon. BUT they are both kings first and superheroes second. That's why they act like they do...especially with each other. I'd argue if it wasn't for advisers/councils/etc. they'd probably leave each other alone. If they weren't both heroes they probably fight and be done with it. But they can't because of internal and external responsibilities.

3. The problem with Hickman's run is that it ends with everyone on earth who died being alive again/the reset the time to just before the first incursions which if that was true and time was altered to return to the beginning of that event then Namor would have never destroyed planets, and the S.S. wouldn't have had to kill Namor in their book, but you know I try not to look too much into how comic timelines work because its a mess but Hickman's ending didn't help Namor, only now it made Namor the Squadron Supreme's whipping boy. They also destroyed Atlantis and then Namor just forgives them when he is brought back to life? *sigh* I get very frustrated with that.

That SS angle....the less said the better. Thankfully that book didn't last to long

4. Namor is never given equal ground in T'challa's books ever. When he is shown or spoken of it's always about the attack and of course it would be since that is all the history they have and Namor is their enemy so he would never be shown in a good light for long. Even in Black Panther Annual (2018) #1 It's shown a future of Wakanda where (surprise surprise) Atlantis had been destroyed by who knows what this time and Namor seeking refuge for his people within Wakanda, later Namor watches T'challa have his own family and wants one of his own and then its decided to have a marriage between their people for future peace. While this whole thing is just an glimpse into one future, it irks me because it once more sets up the fact the Atlantis can't defend itself and Namor is treated as though he never wanted marriage or a family before because that is untrue, he has always wanted that. But it is a Black Panther comic and so seeing Atlantis having to rely on T'challa's good will instead of rebuilding themselves shows once more how I feel Namor is always on unequal footing.

But remember in that story T'challa also admits its good that one of Namor's kids and his married because it kept them from killing each other. It never states Atlantis can't defend itself or has Namor on unequal footing. If that was the case there would be no reason for such a marriage (which was political for Namor and T'challa) but love on the part of the married couple. That's what kings did, marry their kids to help ensure a peace that would be impossible otherwise...and it wasn't done with a kingdom that was weaker. The marriage shows how on even footing they are. A Wakandan invasion of Atlantis would be disastrous for Wakanda. An Atlantean invasion of Wakanda would be the same for the Atlanteans (which is why Namor had the Black Order do it instead of his people).

Marvel keeps killing Atlantis and Atlanteans, and contrary to the belief that most people seem to have, Namor has never needed Tchalla as an enemy, he has so many other enemies and allies, however it seems that T'challa needing Namor as his most powerful rival is something everyone wants. As far as I am concerned, its done and over, let's move on, let's stop killing Atlantis, let's stop having Namor be the S.S. or B.P. enemy and please for the love of comics I really hope Namor is never made to be B.P. mcu villain because all that will do is fuel another 20 years of b.p. vs namor storylines instead of story lines about Atlantis and its people and Namor's own story and world building.[/QUOTE]

They aren't enemies in the X-men vs Magneto sense. They are KINGS who see a potential threat in the other because they are looking seven moves ahead. They don't like each other...but they royally respect each other. That was a Priest plot point showing that BP isn't a superhero...he's a KING. Same as Namor, Doom, Black Bolt, and Magneto (at the time). These guy operate above good and evil. And neither one is totally good/evil in this. Namor is not the enemy for T'challa to defeat. He's not in his rogues gallery. He's another king in a nation that could really give Wakanda an L. IF he was in a BP movie (that way I see it) he wouldn't be the villian. He'd be the 3rd party. In the end he and T'challa would be on the same side. But BP would be the best place to have Namor pop up. He'd be another unknown might nation...

I hope all of this makes sense.

Wow! Way to go, DragonsChi! Excellent visual references.

Bioelectrical senses is what Namor used to see Sue Storm. They called it radar or sonar sense, IIRC. But it's echolocation.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Radar Vision
    I'm sorry, I was incorrect. Though I'm going to blame spell check. ;p It isn't echolocation, which is what dolphins and bats do -- bounce noise off objects to determine their location. It's Electroreception, which is what sharks and other animals use -- detect the electrical fields of animals. I'm guessing Namor's 'radar vision' is more like Electroreception.

He can also sense the oceans currents from long distances (as seen in Avengers Invaders). I think he can also sense water, as he manages to find it when on land and when needed.
    Enhanced Sense of Touch
    I'll see if I can find the exact scan in Avengers Invaders that references this, but I think both of these might fall under the theory that Namor and the Atlanteans have highly developed lateral lines. These are a line of organs, in fish along their sides, that can sense pressure and vibrations. I am particularly fond of this theory, as it would give a "reason" for why the Atlanteans prefer to be in swim suits. Covering up their lateral lines is like walking around with too dark sunglasses or earmuffs.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Oh, and as far as mental resistance, let's not forget that Namor is one of the few that have resisted the Serpent Crown. He was able to actually take it off, after putting it on.

And in Defenders, he's also been one of the first to resist various illusions. I'm thinking of Nicodemus? And perhaps Nebulon?

Quote Originally Posted by ArsonoptiX View Post
    Really? My frustration is that no one has been brave enough to let Wakanda and Atlantis REALLY go at it. They've each got their licks in but haven't really been able to cut loose (and Namor has come out on top a few times). These are two kings who could/should be friends but dislike each other and needle one another. Only a marriage could keep these two from a devastating war. I think Marvel has done a good job at keeping it fairly even scorewise between the two. This Defenders of the Deep though...this could give me the dust up I've been wanting for years.

As far as the MCU...I think BP could be the perfect doorway for Atlantis and it could give Namor and T'challa a much better relationship than what they have in the comics.
    Ok, I want to respond but I don't want to seem confrontational which sometimes I can get since I am very passionate about this character so I'm going to make a small rant/bullet points about why T'challa and Namor need to stop being shoved together for the sake of them fighting. I do not mean to be harsh or disrespectful to you or your opinions but only want to state my own thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I pretty much agree with the post. Both Namor and T'Challa have been poorly used by Marvel over the past decade plus.

Priest did their relationship right. They were not close friends but had a mutual respect for each other.

In order to tell a frakked up story 9AvX), both were written ooc(really, when has Namor ever expressed a desire to destroy Wakanda prior to AvX?) so that this lame story of hero vs hero could be unexplausibly(new word) told.

I'm not ignoring this conversation, I just haven't been able to summon the energy or find the time to respond to this, as ImperiusWrecked says, in a non-confrontational way. Will try to get to it tonite. Or at least start. ;p

I'm not ignoring this conversation, I just haven't been able to summon the energy or find the time to respond to this, as ImperiusWrecked says, in a non-confrontational way. Will try to get to it tonite. Or at least start. ;p
    I am to the bold.

The truth is in the pudding. People who really want Namor in a Black Panther movie are those who are more of fans of Black Panther. Those that are neutral tend to think that it's a bad idea because it's not an even split. Those who are more of Namor fan don't want it at all.

At this point I'm just going to say it....if Black Panther needs a whipping boy for the next movie use Metophisto. Dude's uber powerful, a serious threat, and it was one of the few times Black Panther won out of sheer PISS. It accomplishes the same exact thing the "Namor in Black Panther movie" crowd is looking for with the exception of him being an actual villain.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-27-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks Dragonschi and Reviresco for these! I really am trying to compile a good list of Namor's powers.

Also I was mistaken earlier where I said he could smell water, you was correct that he could sense water just like you said, and I thought smelling water was another sense he had but he doesn't, but he can feel if water was nearby.

from uncanny x-men annual 3 (2011)

namor xmen annual.jpg

No worries!

I am to the bold.

The truth is in the pudding. People who really want Namor in a Black Panther movie are those who are more of fans of Black Panther. Those that are neutral tend to think that it's a bad idea because it's not an even split. Those who are more of Namor fan don't want it at all.

At this point I'm just going to say it....if Black Panther needs a whipping boy for the next movie use Metophisto. Dude's uber powerful, a serious threat, and it was one of the few times Black Panther won out of sheer PISS. It accomplishes the same exact thing the "Namor in Black Panther movie" crowd is looking for with the exception of him being an actual villain.
    I agree about that assessment, it's always the ones who lean more to being a Black Panther fan who are on board with Namor being a rival, while almost every Namor fan I have spoke to on this subject seems very against it.

I really do not think that Namor being in BP2 as a rival just for T'challa to have someone to fight against would look cool. I don't ever see any way of this becoming anything good for Namor, his character, or Atlantis. T'challa would get a ton more character growth/tested and having to rise up to face/defeat Namor (because we all know that Namor will never be allowed to win in a BP movie). Really I just hope they do pull out more villains from Black Panther's comics than go the obvious VS fight. I mean look at Captain America Civil War? I did not enjoy that movie at all because it centers on two of them fighting rather than character development.

I really do not think that Namor being in BP2 as a rival just for T'challa to have someone to fight against would look cool. I don't ever see any way of this becoming anything good for Namor, his character, or Atlantis. T'challa would get a ton more character growth/tested and having to rise up to face/defeat Namor (because we all know that Namor will never be allowed to win in a BP movie). Really I just hope they do pull out more villains from Black Panther's comics than go the obvious VS fight. I mean look at Captain America Civil War? I did not enjoy that movie at all because it centers on two of them fighting rather than character development.
    All of this is what I think as well. But not only that regardless if it's a race thing or not Namor drowning a bunch of African citizens in a film is not going to go over well for ANYONE. Whether that be Namor, BP, or MARVEL, no one truly wins in that scenario with general audiences.