Super Moderator

Default Geoff Johns Revisits "Forever Evil," Talks Impact on "Justice League"

Before a signing in LA, writer and DC chief creative officer Geoff Johns discussed the first line-wide event of the New 52 era, "Forever Evil."

Full article here.

Spectacular Member

I actually like this concept of Lex and Snart joining the Justice League, it really intreagues me and I want to see how Lex is moving forward.

That being said, I do definitely think it will only work if he's honestly trying to turn over a new leaf. I know at some point, everything is going to revert to the Status Quo. Lex is gonna be evil again at some point. I hope however, that whoever writes that whether it's Johns or whether it's a decision by a later writer, they don't try to pull that whole "He was REALLY still evil the ENTIRE time! Joining the League was part of some kind of plan for his EVIL plan!!"

I want this to be a legitimate attempt for Lex to turn over a new leaf, because I think that is infinitely more interesting than your typical "Villain pretending to team up with the heroes only to doublecross them" story we've seen 1000 times. When they revert him, I want it to be that he actually TRIED to be good and something happens to make him fall back into evil.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonRin View Post
    I actually like this concept of Lex and Snart joining the Justice League, it really intreagues me and I want to see how Lex is moving forward.

That being said, I do definitely think it will only work if he's honestly trying to turn over a new leaf. I know at some point, everything is going to revert to the Status Quo. Lex is gonna be evil again at some point. I hope however, that whoever writes that whether it's Johns or whether it's a decision by a later writer, they don't try to pull that whole "He was REALLY still evil the ENTIRE time! Joining the League was part of some kind of plan for his EVIL plan!!"

I want this to be a legitimate attempt for Lex to turn over a new leaf, because I think that is infinitely more interesting than your typical "Villain pretending to team up with the heroes only to doublecross them" story we've seen 1000 times. When they revert him, I want it to be that he actually TRIED to be good and something happens to make him fall back into evil.
    Well based on what happen it definitely won't be i was evil the whole time, unless lex can beat the lasso of truth now

Spectacular Member

I was thinking the same thing, but Lex is smart and these are comic books. Someone could easily pull the whole "He gave himself amnesia before going to the Watchtower" or the writer that decides to make him evil again could go back and see exactly which questions they asked him, and make some way of doing it as a loophole. Like "I answered the questions you asked me truthfully, you just weren't asking the right questions!" kinda deal.

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time a comic book writer used shoehorned in comic book logic to make a retcon work. See: Jason Todd, Spiderman: One More Day)

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I really love Lex's motivation for being in the Justice League. He is an ego maniac and being the hero that saves the world really pleases him, in a way being the villain who hates Superman does not. To me, he also comes off as a vastly more interesting character because of this. Additionally, due to his former villainy, Lex can have an infinite number of skeletons in his closet, all of whom can come out at some inopportune time to haunt him (which creates drama, conflict and intra-group tension (something the Justice League sometimes lacks (outside of Batman)).

My burning Forever Evil impact on Justice League question (and maybe that of two other people in the universe) did not get answered -- will we ever see Ted Kord again?

I just hope Superman stays in the league and I hope Geoff Johns doesn't make a love triangle between Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    I just hope Superman stays in the league and I hope Geoff Johns doesn't make a love triangle between Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman.
    with the string of bad luck i'm having lately, the love triangle would probably be clark, diana, and luthor.

Man i sure as hell hope Luthor doesnt show up in Johns Superman run for another couple of arcs..He's as overused in Supe books as Joker in Bat books..Also Johns betrayed me by saying Luthor is the ultimate villain..Captain Cold > Lex.Also Flash has the best overall villains in superhero comics(not Spidey or Bats)

Edit: Even if The Flash show is awful,i'll watch the Captain Cold & other rogues ep..Hopefully its Johns writing them and not Kreisberg/Berlanti

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    It looks like Superman and Flash are staying on the League, contrary to initial plans, although I covers can always be misleading. And he's not doing a love triangle. He's already said that the connection Batman has to Wonder Woman might not be what people think. And that's exactly what people thought coming out of Forever Evil. So its something else. I'm still leaning toward him fearing her.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-10-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It looks like Superman and Flash are staying on the League, contrary to initial plans, although I covers can always be misleading. And he's not doing a love triangle. He's already said that the connection Batman has to Wonder Woman might not be what people think. And that's exactly what people thought coming out of Forever Evil. So its something else. I'm still leaning toward him fearing her.
    I think he said that Batman and Wonder Woman share some secret from something that happened a while back.

BANNED

do you think Captain Cold should change back to his old costume? or something that looks like his old costume?

because he doesn't have his ice powers anymore and he looks kind of silly without them in his current costume.

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    I think he said that Batman and Wonder Woman share some secret from something that happened a while back.
    I must've missed that, remember where it was from?

If its a secret, then I'm guessing the secret has specifically to do with Clark, maybe something they did to protect him or something that Superman may not take too kindly too. Thus making the emotional connection they share essentially Clark himself. I kinda think it would be cool in fact if it had something to do with Supergirl. Minus the bad characterizations the last time.