Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member

Dick and Bruce being in bed together, topless.
    Superman being the Last Son of Krypton since there are Kryptonians all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    What the heck was Didio's problem with "a stable continuity," anyway?
    I don't remember that being a problem.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

He seemed to think the mainstream universe was his own personal sandbox he can treat like his own headcanon.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

He thought there needed to be disruption of the status quo every 5 years or 10 years. He has compared it in one interview to an enema. If you look at his reign of DC, it kind of matches in that he tries to crash the plane every 5 years:
    2006 - Infinite Crisis
    2011 - Flashpoint
    2016 - DC Rebirth
    2020 - 5G (averted beause he was fired)

https://www.cbr.com/didio-on-wonder-...-collars-more/

Quote Originally Posted by Didio
    When I first started at DC Comics, I had the opportunity to meet and work with Julius Schwartz, who was still the Editor Emeritus. He was just there, came in once a week. I got a chance to sit with him and talk with him, and he literally said to me at one point, "Every ten years, continuity needs an enema, because your characters don't age in real time, the stories don't move in real time and when you build too much story against the characters, it holds down the potential stories you could tell for the future because you're so beholden to the past."

The goal is not the throw away everything, but to hold on to what makes the most sense, what is the strongest for the series and strongest for the books and then move out from there because if you held on to every single story, there'd be no stories left to tell.
    The problem is he's a terrible manager so his "enemas" end up being creative editorial disasters. And he doesn't have the creative instincts of people like Giordano or Berger and instead of getting post-Crisis DC, you end up with shlock like New 52 instead.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 06-14-2024 at 06:07 PM.