Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Default What are your ideas for a Crisis-type story to bridge the DCU and New 52?

I always thought it was weird that there was no Crisis-type story to serve as an in-universe bridge from the DCU continuity to the New 52 one. I don't really consider Flashpoint to serve as a bridge because the main plot of the story had nothing to do with the transition and just threw in Pandora and the resetting of the timeline completely randomly.

Plus, given all of the plots and ideas that had been introduced that could have tied into this story, not having another Crisis story act as bridge seemed like a huge waste. Below I listed some of the things that could have been used, but I'm curious to know what kind of ideas you guys might have for a story like this.

-Darkseid could return seeking vengeance after Final Crisis
    -The multiverse is back, which according to the original Crisis is what caused the need for a single Earth in the first place
    -Barry Allen is back
    -The Anti-monitor is somehow resurrected

I initially had an idea where the characters everyone was clamoring for (Wally, Donna, Cass, Stephanie etc.) Found themselves on an empty earth with no idea of what happened. They would figure out a way to get to the New 52 Earth 0, but with no one remembering them, and their very presence creating some sort of paradox that could destroy existence, they are regarded as hostile. I thought there'd be a lot to explore story wise, but now that most have been introduced, its rather a moot point.

Definitely no that would cause more problems given that all of what you list exist in the new 52 multiverse and i don't want it go back just one universe that just squash creative ideas.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Though not a favorite of mine, FLASHPOINT did a fairly effective job (in a single two-page spread) of getting us from Point A to Point B in terms of moving from the previous DCU to the New 52 DCU (certainly much more clear cut than the events between COIE # 10 and the actual reboots of various characters that rolled out piecemeal over the next three years).

The construction of the New 52 mythos in the months and years have followed, however, has proven just as dicey as the Post-COIE construction of the DCU.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Definitely no that would cause more problems given that all of what you list exist in the new 52 multiverse and i don't want it go back just one universe that just squash creative ideas.
    What are you talking about ? I didn't say anything about going back to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Though not a favorite of mine, FLASHPOINT did a fairly effective job (in a single two-page spread) of getting us from Point A to Point B in terms of moving from the previous DCU to the New 52 DCU (certainly much more clear cut than the events between COIE # 10 and the actual reboots of various characters that rolled out piecemeal over the next three years).

The construction of the New 52 mythos in the months and years have followed, however, has proven just as dicey as the Post-COIE construction of the DCU.

Really? But with COIE there was at least an actual reason for the reboot that was a part of the main plot, while with Flashpoint it has little to no bearing on anything in that story.

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    Really? But with COIE there was at least an actual reason for the reboot that was a part of the main plot, while with Flashpoint it has little to no bearing on anything in that story.
    That doesn't matter much to me; Barry and Thawne's personal dispute opened a door that other forces (e.g. Pandora) exploited to create the New 52 DCU. At some point, however, I would be interested in seeing the reason that Pandora caused this to happen.

BANNED

Honestly, I would have rather preferred they simply relaunch and renumber without tying some sort of event into it at all. Now we have to talk about "how could changing the timeline cause this?" and "What is the post-Flashpoint version of Flashpoint" and all that crap, when it could have just been an editorial/publishing thing - "we were doing this, now we're doing that" - rather like the Star Wars Extended Universe getting downgraded and the new canon coming along.

They probably didn't want much of a bridge because then even more people would explain how it was their escape hatch in case the New 52 didn't work out.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Nobody needs one. The New 52 is perfect and there doesn't need to be any explaining anything. Just ask anyone in here. They'll tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Honestly, I would have rather preferred they simply relaunch and renumber without tying some sort of event into it at all. Now we have to talk about "how could changing the timeline cause this?" and "What is the post-Flashpoint version of Flashpoint" and all that crap, when it could have just been an editorial/publishing thing - "we were doing this, now we're doing that" - rather like the Star Wars Extended Universe getting downgraded and the new canon coming along.
    Totally agree with this. If you feel everything needs to be reset to fix things, then just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    The New 52 is perfect
    They cancelled Demon Knights and Frankenstein!

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    They cancelled Demon Knights and Frankenstein!

And also Firestorm and the Legion....but just remember....it's soooooooooooo much better than what was. Oh wait....there was nothing before the New 52 I guess. Never mind.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Theoretically, DC could do that just by changing Earths. They have a multiverse, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Theoretically, DC could do that just by changing Earths. They have a multiverse, after all.
    ...with only 52 parallel universes, and it looks like MULTIVERSITY will define all of them by the time it's over. It remains to be seen if any of them will host past mainstream iterations of the DCU (probably not).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    That doesn't matter much to me; Barry and Thawne's personal dispute opened a door that other forces (e.g. Pandora) exploited to create the New 52 DCU. At some point, however, I would be interested in seeing the reason that Pandora caused this to happen.

She mentioned something at the end of Flashpoint about doing it to prevent some great evil from coming. I guess another question is, was the Pandora from Flashpoint the same as the New 52 Pandora?