Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    According to her creator, Marv Wolfman, the Black Cat as based on the Tex Avery cartoon, Bad Luck Blackie.

http://www.sneakpeek.ca/2014/05/the-...black-cat.html
    As I said, "unfairly or no." I know where Wolfman claims he got the inspiration from but fans have always compared BC to Catwoman. It's nothing new.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    As I said, "unfairly or no." I know where Wolfman claims he got the inspiration from but fans have always compared BC to Catwoman. It's nothing new.
    True. But it seems that Marvel has allowed Slott to make Felicia into Marvels version of Cat Woman to compete with DC's New 52, which is not being original in the first place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker4730 View Post
    I will never understand why Peter didn't value his friendship with Felicia enough to re-reveal his identity to her after the events of OMD/OMIT...it's just really sad that he just didn't care.
    The in-story explanation is as simple as Peter wanting to limit the number of people who know his secret ID. Letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak, to too many people is never a good idea - especially given all he did to make it a secret again.

Out of story, to state the obvious, we're dealing with a fictional character. It's not that Peter doesn't care, it's that he doesn't feel anything because he doesn't exist. Clearly no Spidey writers post-OMD felt it was worth having Peter bring Felicia into his confidence.

Astonishing Member

As for Pete thinking he achieved a happy ending, he tried to get through to Black Cat and couldn't. But he managed to cure Electro and he'll surely try to get Felicia to change back to her old, mildly criminal ways the next time they meet. So, no real tragedy occurred.
    The next time Spider-Man x Black Cat meet, it'll be around 2016 at the latest. But she'll certainly be used by other writers starting with the writer of Hawkeye vs Deadpool mini-series. But the Pre-OMD Black Cat is quite better than what we got so far because it's more of a What if Peter never revealed his secret Identity to the Black Cat. The only way for Spider-Man to get through to the Black Cat is to reveal his secret identity to her once and for all because now she thinks that Spider-Man is really Otto Octavius; the man who destroyed her life.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    True. But it seems that Marvel has allowed Slott to make Felicia into Marvels version of Cat Woman to compete with DC's New 52, which is not being original in the first place.
    As has already been stated, nothing that's going on with BC at the moment could've been influenced by what's going on with Catwoman. If there's a similarity, chalk it up to something in the air, or the fact that both characters have always walked similar paths.

Astonishing Member

Out of story, to state the obvious, we're dealing with a fictional character. It's not that Peter doesn't care, it's that he doesn't feel anything because he doesn't exist. Clearly no Spidey writers post-OMD felt it was worth having Peter bring Felicia into his confidence.
    Ask that to Joe Kelly who bought her back into BND Spider-Man's world. If he had remained the writer, he might have had Peter reveal his secret identity to her. Afterall, Bendis did allow Spider-Man to reveal his secret identity to the New Avengers, as well as Jon Hickman revealing Spider-Man's secret identity to the Fantastic Four. Dan Slot went on record stating that Spider-Man should not have been made to allow his secret identity to be revealed. Especially to Mary Jane, Carol Danvers, and Steve Rogers.

Thank god we're done with a once a month Amazing Spider-Man.
    This was an ok storyline that got dragged out for way to long.
    Let's just hope they never pull a once a month ASM on us again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    There was nothing wrong with ASM as a monthly series. It's the writing that was bad. Had this story arc been written by Chris Yost, it would have been fantastic. But this is Slott title because he was doing both ASM and ASM: Learning to crawl at the same time. This might have made the story suffer. This type of story was terrible for the Black Cat from start to finish...

All-New Member

As has already been stated, nothing that's going on with BC at the moment could've been influenced by what's going on with Catwoman. If there's a similarity, chalk it up to something in the air, or the fact that both characters have always walked similar paths.
    Actually I think there are leaks between Marvel and DC and they and up ripping each other off alot. There are more examples of this if you think. The death of Cap and Bats for instance.

Well, the good news this issue wasn't nearly as rage inducing as the last two issues were for me. Bad news is it was also just as disappointing. Not that expected the Black Cat to be redeemed at the end of this issue, but whatever chance her and Spidey may have had for some reconciliation in the near future has just been obliterated what her now knowing full well Spidey was innocent but now thinking their entire past relationship is what "ruined her life." And is anybody still not convinced that Silk isn't an illustration of the "Mary Sue" archtype yet, or at least yet another of Marvel's over-hyped new characters they hope can hold their own spin-off series, because good grief! She, on top of it being hammered over and over yet again how much "better" her powers are than Peter's, winds up more acts of heroism with more competence than Spider-Man--and even makes more wisecracks than he does--even though Peter supposed to be the one with more experience fighting super-villains and, thanks to Dan Slott himself, has martial arts training. And no, her being as good as she is simply because she watched VHS tapes of Spidey for ten years doesn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Yea as far as opening arcs go, this one was pretty lackluster though I somehow get the feeling it would've been a bit more bearable if it hadn't stretched out over half a year due to lack of double shipping on the title. Honestly, when it comes down to it, Solk felt to me like the best thing that came out of this arc because evil Falicia and Sajani trying to sabotage something like that when they live in the MU New York is incredibly stupid.
    Yeah, lackluster is definitely the right words I'd describe this opening story arc as well.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 09-10-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Silk is Slott's Mantis
    We need better comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bad_trotsky View Post
    Actually I think there are leaks between Marvel and DC and they and up ripping each other off alot. There are more examples of this if you think. The death of Cap and Bats for instance.
    I'd attribute that much more to the common knowledge that the death of popular characters = $$$.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I agree. I miss the brisk pace that twice a month brings. Happy to get back to it.

Ultimate Member

I wont complain about characters being taken in new and different directions. In fact I welcome it. I WILL complain if said changes are contrived, out of nowhere, nonsensical, poorly-written, and no absolutely nothing to progress the character, in fact regressing her. All of those things apply to this Felicia storyline. It's just awful in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I wont complain about characters being taken in new and different directions. In fact I welcome it. I WILL complain if said changes are contrived, out of nowhere, nonsensical, poorly-written, and no absolutely nothing to progress the character, in fact regressing her. All of those things apply to this Felicia storyline. It's just awful in every way.
    Quoted for the Truth!