3 7.14%
  • WALKING DEAD #131

1 2.38%
  • Other

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    I think we can all agree that Image is where it's at right now. There are 8 different titles that have received a vote thus far for the week. There is something for everyone to enjoy!
    There really is.. Each book I'm reading is so different from the next that it's almost impossible to pick which one I like most on any given Wednesday.

Ended up voting for Death Vigil because it's just great fun and quickly climbing up as a favorite book. Difficult choice because both Lazarus and Velvet were fantastic as usual. And Copperhead was quite good for a first issue and shows great promise for the future. Image is just rocking it these days!
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

I think we can all agree that Image is where it's at right now. There are 8 different titles that have received a vote thus far for the week. There is something for everyone to enjoy!
    I was almost tempted to throw a vote in for Spread so it can get a vote too haha. Really enjoyed the issue and the series so far. Sheltered was once again excellent and I'm all geared up for the final arc and showdown. Funny thing in the letters column, some guy wrote in and said he picked up Sheltered #1 one day when he was at the comic shop and was floored. He'd been away from comics ever since he was a kid and Sheltered was his gateway back into comics. This was exactly what happened to me. Sheltered was the first Image comic i picked up followed by Rat Queens and Saga and since then have never looked back. Sheltered has been consistently good throughout that sometimes I forget how good it is.

For those that don't read the letters column in Sheltered, Ed revealed that Jonnie will be working with Kurtis Weibe, writer of Rat Queens/Peter Panzerfaust for a brand new series. This is a dream for me. One of my favorite artists collaborating with another favorite writer of mine. As well Ed and Johnnie will be back next year for a brand new series. Awesome! I love you Image.

I'm throwing my vote in for Copperhead. I just loved everything about it and I'm so glad that Jay will keep the series as a western to the tune of Deadwood. I'm in for the entire run, he's got me. That said I still have Lazarus, Velvet, Invincible, Morning Glories, and Walking Dead to catch up on trade haha. I still have the first four volumes of the Walking Dead ohc omnibuses sitting on the shelf still in shrinkwrap. It's going to take me a while to catch up on all these great titles, haha. Special thanks to everyone here who's always participating and giving great reviews. They've been very helpful to me and I'm sure others as well in findng new series to enjoy.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 09-11-2014 at 08:36 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Fantastic Member

I picked up the following books:

TWD 131 - Nice issue that moved things along. Nothing bad to say about it except that the Eugene/Rosita thing needs to happen sooner rather than later, but that was kept to a page and a few panels so no biggie. I liked the Carl & Sophia and Rick & Maggie scenes and how much Maggie has grown in the leadership role.

Spread 3 - Really been enjoying this series and we get a very nice dose of world building here with Jack's that provided a little bit of everything from levity to the grotesque and more. Very cool issue and I'm excited to see where it goes next. I also enjoyed the back matter art as well.

East of West 15 - The end of the third arc is here and its the blow out for The Beast and it was really satisfying seeing The Beast taking on the three horsemen. Never trust a balloon though thats for sure. I'm really wondering what that thing is up to and that last page is very haunting. The small niggle here is that the beginning with Xiaolin felt a bit too disconnected from the rest of the issue and wish we got a bit more Death, but other than that great issue and the possibilities are endless now.

Sheltered 11 - Speaking of endless possibilities the final arc for the series begins and I have no clue how this is gonna wrap up with everyone scattered about. Will Mitch get revenge? Will Victoria find help? What the hell is Lucas up to? And that final page...man great issue and can't wait to see how it unfolds. Great to hear about the new projects coming up!

Copperhead 1 - I first got into a Faerber comic with Near Death (happy to hear its coming back!) and then followed him to the mini series Point of Impact and I enjoy how grounded he makes his characters and that continues here. I love the fact that this feels very western that just so happens to be in a sci-fi setting. Boo is already a character I like and want to know more of as well as the rest of the cast. We get some teases of threads that will certainly creep up and be explored more with the different races, why this new start on life had to happen for Clara and Zeke, and so on. Fantastic art too. I also previously enjoyed Faerber's back matter and that too continues here as he lets us know how the idea came about and how the team came to be. Great opening and you very much get your money's worth here.

Lazarus 11 - Someone is making trouble. My pick. The start of the third arc begins and HOLY CRAP this is going to be intense. Right from the beginning with the intro of a new Lazarus things pick up very quickly and this Lazarus operates very differently from Forever and Joaquin, very cold almost robotic. We also get a nice moment with Forever and Marisol which put a smile on me as I read their conversation. We also continue to get a good deal of world building, as always, and a lot of the past world building thats been happening both in the story and the back matter pays off and I'm sure that will be the case even more so as the arc continues. This issue really made me want to go back and read all of the back matter to be up on all the families. Additionally we get some more development on the ending from the first arc and I'm really curious how that is going to go. The meeting of the two Lazarus was so intense despite the fact that we know that they act as cyphers for their respective families, knowing what they can do at a moments notice just made their scenes gripping. Something bad is gonna happen in this arc and I can't wait to see how it all unfolds. The art also was very beautiful with the snow scenery. I also like how new reader friendly the team makes this book. Its very easy to pick up this issue and know what is going on pretty quickly. I echo the sentiment in reading the back matter as it certainly made me a bit emotional and made me value the book that much more.

Incredible week for Image!
    Last edited by HellsRider; 09-11-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Great reading everyone's reviews guys & gals! I really like how this weekly thread is becoming kinda like the Dive Bar of the Image board haha.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I've read Lazarus, Velvet, and EoW. All were awesome books, but EoW gets my vote. That twist was pretty damn awesome.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Lazarus took the week for me. The pacing on this book is just fantastic and the world-building just sucks me in every time. I'll be buying the hard cover just to have the extra material in a more durable format.

Copperhead...well, I didn't dislike it, but it did feel a bit on the generic side. I like space westerns and it's cool to see more leading ladies in comics, but I've also seen a lot of these elements blended together before and there wasn't much in the execution that made it stand out for me. If anything, I thought stretching out the mysteries of why Bronson left or why she hates Artificial Humans weakened things a bit. Sure, leave some revelations for later, but giving us something a little more solid in the way of motivation and insight into her character wouldn't have hurt. It also didn't help that I didn't yet care enough about anyone involved to be invested in the interpersonal conflicts or heinous crimes being visited on cartoony aliens that were kinda assholes anyway. Don't know that I'll pick up the next issue; if Faerber is going to tease things out, I might get a better impression of the story when the first trade hits.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 09-15-2014 at 01:48 AM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Lazarus steamed rolled the competition almost all over the place, so it won for me this week. (though it ties with Ms. Marvel for my favorite book of the week)

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post

For those that don't read the letters column in Sheltered, Ed revealed that Jonnie will be working with Kurtis Weibe, writer of Rat Queens/Peter Panzerfaust for a brand new series. This is a dream for me. One of my favorite artists collaborating with another favorite writer of mine. As well Ed and Johnnie will be back next year for a brand new series. Awesome! I love you Image.
    Oh, this is great news!

Also great to see 34 votes in this week's poll! We are gaining steam (and so is Image).
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post

Copperhead...well, I didn't dislike it, but it did feel a bit on the generic side. I like space westerns and it's cool to see more leading ladies in comics, but I've also seen a lot of these elements blended together before and there wasn't much in the execution that made it stand out for me. If anything, I thought stretching out the mysteries of why Bronson left or why she hates Artificial Humans weakened things a bit. Sure, leave some revelations for later, but giving us something a little more solid in the way of motivation and insight into her character wouldn't have hurt. It also didn't help that I didn't yet care enough about anyone involved to be invested in the interpersonal conflicts or heinous crimes being visited on cartoony aliens that were kinda assholes anyway. Don't know that I'll pick up the next issue; if Faerber is going to tease things out, I might get a better impression of the story when the first trade hits.
    The more I think about it, the more I agree with your views on Copperhead. I'll stick with it a little longer to see if it becomes must read, but I don't see it as a must read at this point. Unfortunately, I only have room on my pull list for must reads.

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I agree with your views on Copperhead. I'll stick with it a little longer to see if it becomes must read, but I don't see it as a must read at this point. Unfortunately, I only have room on my pull list for must reads.
    I'm not quite there yet, but I am at the point where if a book doesn't grab me on arrival, it probably won't get a second issue. At $4 a pop, it makes less and less sense to me to pick up not-quite-satisfying bits of an incomplete story in hopes that it will all pay off half a year from now, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    I'm curious to know what titles you guys have on your must read list. My list might be a little different than most, God Hates Astronauts is firmly on my must read list
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

I'm curious to know what titles you guys have on your must read list. My list might be a little different than most, God Hates Astronauts is firmly on my must read list
    That's really the only book any of us NEED to survive, clearly.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

That's really the only book any of us NEED to survive, clearly.
    If I was stuck on a desert island and was only allowed to bring only one comic I would have to seriously consider GHA, not even joking.

Incredible Member

I want to give that one a shot...I may try to pick it up. As far as my must read list, I would include Alex + Ada, Deadly Class, East of West, Five Ghosts, Invincible, Lazarus, Low, Saga, Sex Criminals, The Fade Out, The Fuse, The Mercenary Sea, Velvet, Zero, everything from Valiant, Afterlife with Archie, American Vampire and Fables.