Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 163
  1. #1
    Senior Member danmar85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    788

    Default Shelving and Display Advice!

    As someone who's new to collecting comic books I lack any real shelving to hold a - hopefully - growing collection of books. I'm hoping this thread can be used for advice on building or buying shelving for your collections. Any advice on displays or decorations are welcome as well.

    General Questions That Can Be Answered
    - Preferred brand or model of shelving.
    - Adjustable vs fixed shelving.
    - Shelving that suits floppy collections.
    - Shelving that suits hardcover collections.
    - Posting your own custom shelving or displays.
    - What chemicals to use or avoid when finishing your own shelf or display. (e.g., Paint, Varnish, Stain)
    - Decorations that add to the aesthetic of your collection.
    - General and detailed display advice.


    PS: Please avoid turning this into another shelf collection thread. One already exists here. Posting images for reference is fine of course, but avoid posting images unless it's relevant to your post. Thank You.

    PPS: If you notice any wrong information or have any recommendations, please feel free to post or PM me.
    Last edited by danmar85; 05-24-2014 at 10:48 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member danmar85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Resources


    Shelving
    • Ikea Expedit
    • Ikea Kallax - Replaces the discontinued Expedit line. Only difference in dimensions is a slightly thinner outside frame and rounded edges. Suitable for both hardcover collections and singles in short boxes. Dimensions of each compartment measure: H13.25" x W 13.25" x D 15.38". The height makes it suitable for all, but the most extreme sized books, easily fitting DC Absolutes and DH Library Editions without a problem.
    • Closetmaid Cubeicals - Similar to the Expedit/Kallax line, but available at Target. Height limit of 11.75" prevents storage of editions like DC Absolute and DH Library Editions.
    • Ikea Billy - The stand alone Billy bookcases come in widths of 40cm (15 3/4") or 80cm (31 1/2") and come in heights of 202cm (79 1/2") and 106cm (41 3/4"). The main advantage they have over the Expedit/Kallax line is it's adjustable shelving, which should allow clearance for even your tallest books if planned correctly. A height extension can also be attached to the top of a Billy shelf, which will add 35cm (13 5/8") to it's total height and includes one extra shelf.




    Display




    Websites
    Comicase.com - Sells a unique storage case for your singles and stands for display options.


    Useful Articles
    Five Rules Of Shelf Organisation by Stuart Kirman aka Kirky
    Last edited by danmar85; 05-24-2014 at 11:55 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member danmar85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Reference
    Ikea Kallax - Link 1
    Ikea Ribba - Link 1
    Ikea Billy - Link 1/Link 2
    Last edited by danmar85; 05-24-2014 at 11:02 PM.

  4. #4
    Incredible Member NZ_InFerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    853

    Default

    I believe the preferred shelving is the IKEA Expedit, though it's been discontinued.

  5. #5
    Senior Member danmar85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    I believe the preferred shelving is the IKEA Expedit, though it's been discontinued.
    It looks like they replaced it with the Kallax line, which is the same except it's a bit more trim to save on material. I've never owned Ikea furniture so I have no idea of it's quality. They look nice though.

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    398

    Default

    If you look on the form the collector edition shelf porn here at cbr you will see the Ikea units that I used . They hold a short box rather nicely . Also built my own stand for holding my long boxes . Used a sheet of 3/4 inch finish plywood and 4 spindles cost around 60 bucks to build . Spinner racks are cool to . They are just cool . I was at the comic store and they sell a plastic frame to hold a comic modern or silver style for 10 bucks a piece . Look not to bad . Also comicase.com has some cool display frames . Hope this helps .

  7. #7
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    826

    Default

    The first post should probably have reference material about the Ikea Expedit / Kallax line since that's the most common answer whenever anyone asks about shelving solutions for trades/hardcovers of all sized. These fit 99% of collected editions.

    Other semi-common answers for pre-made shelving would include Closetmaid Cubeicals (available at Target) and the Ikea Billy shelves. The Cubeicals max out at Omnibus sized books though. Anything bigger like Absolutes or Library Editions must be shelved elsewhere.

    The main thing to look for in mass produced shelving is the support system for horizontal shelves. If there are dividers like on the Expedit/Kallax or Cubeicals, that will keep the single piece horizontal shelves from sagging/bending/breaking.

  8. #8
    multiple choice Orion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Deadworld
    Posts
    643

    Default

    ikea is good on a budget but it sag sag sags. the discerning collector will spend the extra dough on nicer stuff

  9. #9
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    ikea is good on a budget but it sag sag sags. the discerning collector will spend the extra dough on nicer stuff
    You have to be more specific than that. Expedit/Kallax does not sag. I'd go as far as to say it is impossible. I think it would be possible for Billy or other long horizontal shelves with no additional vertical supports to sag though.

  10. #10
    Senior Member danmar85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    The first post should probably have reference material about the Ikea Expedit / Kallax line since that's the most common answer whenever anyone asks about shelving solutions for trades/hardcovers of all sized. These fit 99% of collected editions.

    Other semi-common answers for pre-made shelving would include Closetmaid Cubeicals (available at Target) and the Ikea Billy shelves. The Cubeicals max out at Omnibus sized books though. Anything bigger like Absolutes or Library Editions must be shelved elsewhere.

    The main thing to look for in mass produced shelving is the support system for horizontal shelves. If there are dividers like on the Expedit/Kallax or Cubeicals, that will keep the single piece horizontal shelves from sagging/bending/breaking.
    I'll start updating the OP in the next day or so with whatever information is posted. Hopefully other people will be willing to post reference pics of their shelves and possibly their home made set-ups with general instructions. Also, any online sites or local places that have products they'd recommend and have used themselves.

  11. #11
    Senior Member danmar85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Courtesy of John Keyt:

    Image of an Ikea Kallax 4x2 holding short boxes. Model# 202.758.85

    Kallax - 4x2 - 202.758.85 by John Keyt 01.jpgKallax - 4x2 - 202.758.85 by John Keyt 02.jpg

    Image of a Ribba picture ledge - 45" - with singles displayed. Model# 301.525.96

    Ribba - 45in - 301.525.96 by John Keyt 01.JPG

  12. #12
    Veteran Member MikeMC005's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    If you are looking to get rid of boxes. You can use 3 ring binders and use Sheet protectors. It provides a more visually appealing way to shelve your comics. Works really well for finished series and you can customize the spine with something more appealing and descriptive than a box could provide.

  13. #13
    All-Father Odin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    I believe the preferred shelving is the IKEA Expedit, though it's been discontinued.
    Definitely. It was great. Own 2 of the 2x4 ones and 1 of the 1x5. Thanks danmar85 for the tip about Kallax though. Didn't know that.

  14. #14
    All-Father Odin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    It looks like they replaced it with the Kallax line, which is the same except it's a bit more trim to save on material. I've never owned Ikea furniture so I have no idea of it's quality. They look nice though.
    For $65 or whatever it is, as long as you build it tight it's great. If you half ass it or don't tighten stuff enough it can wobble a bit. Otherwise, it's good quality for what it is. There's certainly no need to spend hundreds for a shelf.

  15. #15
    Senior Member danmar85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    If you are looking to get rid of boxes. You can use 3 ring binders and use Sheet protectors. It provides a more visually appealing way to shelve your comics. Works really well for finished series and you can customize the spine with something more appealing and descriptive than a box could provide.
    That sounds interesting, but what I'm also hoping for is people willing to post examples of their set-up, weather it be store bought or custom made, which I can then link as reference in the OP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    Definitely. It was great. Own 2 of the 2x4 ones and 1 of the 1x5. Thanks danmar85 for the tip about Kallax though. Didn't know that.
    Glad I could help.
    Last edited by danmar85; 05-08-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •