Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    This is indeed how it's currently set up, since it was my first time setting one up and I just followed the IKEA instructions. So it's possible to switch it around so that the longer panels are horizontal? If so, I'll try that. (I'll wait for an answer though, so that I don't unload and disassemble the whole thing and realise it's not possible).
    So just turn the whole case on it's side, and problem solved, I think.

Incredible Member

^ I'm going for having one wall entirely lined with them horizontally, which would best suit the room aesthetically. But, I was going to have the first one standing upright. Hopefully it works out, otherwise I may just have to have the heavier books along the bottom.

I'll post pics when I can, so everyone can get a better idea of what I mean.

BANNED

Hey guys,

Whats the book shelf you guys would recommend today from Ikea? I had this one brand that i believe Ikea removed from it's catalogue, its what this forum and its users recommended me in the first plkace, so what's the bookshelf that you guys get now from Ikea?

Did you read the first post?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Did you read the first post?
    Of course!

Not. : (

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Of course!

Not. : (
    I think NZ_InFerno meant that second post.

It feels like I haven't been on the forums in forever (six weeks in actual time). I have a random question that I hope someone can give feedback on. My guess is probably no one will have any, but it's worth a try.

Does anyone have any experience at all with the Hemnes bookcase? I've been trying to decide between the Hemnes and Billy and I'm leaning towards the Hemnes. It's made of softwood pine, has the same general dimensions as the Billy and is almost as adjustable. I'm hoping the Hemnes will be sturdier and allow for easier painting (due to material of bookcase). Some of the major drawbacks are the price --which is double that of Billy--, it has fewer holes for adjusting shelving (this may make storing large LE's or Absolutes difficult) and lacks some of the add-ons that Billy has available. This includes the height extensions and add-on doors (a Hemnes can be purchased with a door, but doesn't offer a separate add-on option for later).

I'm having trouble finding any real feedback in regard to daily heavy usage and it's a bit frustrating. I'd like to make note that the Kallax is not an option for me. I live much too far to drive to a physical Ikea store and the shipping is $350 to my location. The Hemnes and Billy are my two choices because of the narrow shelving option and less than $15 shipping option.

BILLY bookcase
    HEMNESS bookcase

I'm having to switch from horizontal to vertical because of space. I'm going for the post-it note option. I got some from Poundland that came in three colours. Is there any concern over the coloured post-its staining the bottom of the pages?

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    It feels like I haven't been on the forums in forever (six weeks in actual time). I have a random question that I hope someone can give feedback on. My guess is probably no one will have any, but it's worth a try.

Does anyone have any experience at all with the Hemnes bookcase? I've been trying to decide between the Hemnes and Billy and I'm leaning towards the Hemnes. It's made of softwood pine, has the same general dimensions as the Billy and is almost as adjustable. I'm hoping the Hemnes will be sturdier and allow for easier painting (due to material of bookcase). Some of the major drawbacks are the price --which is double that of Billy--, it has fewer holes for adjusting shelving (this may make storing large LE's or Absolutes difficult) and lacks some of the add-ons that Billy has available. This includes the height extensions and add-on doors (a Hemnes can be purchased with a door, but doesn't offer a separate add-on option for later).

I'm having trouble finding any real feedback in regard to daily heavy usage and it's a bit frustrating. I'd like to make note that the Kallax is not an option for me. I live much too far to drive to a physical Ikea store and the shipping is $350 to my location. The Hemnes and Billy are my two choices because of the narrow shelving option and less than $15 shipping option.

BILLY bookcase
    HEMNESS bookcase
    I've had two of the wider Hemnes for several years, one open and one with the glass doors. They are both very sturdy and survived a move that took out a couch and an inferior bookcase.

The only thing I can't tell you is how they hold up over time with tons of books on them as the open one is in my studio, currently holding my fabric stash, and the one with doors is acting mostly as a catchall for things I don't want broken while I slowly renovate. My high school yearbooks have been resting on one of the shelves for a couple of years, and they are each about as big as that Spider-Verse HC that just came out, but the cameras and such haven't given it much of a challenge.

There is one fixed shelf in the middle and four adjustable shelves. The maximum for the bottom space is just under 13.5". If I had any absolutes, I'd check if it fit for you. As I have it set up right now, only three of the spaces are big enough for a trade or regular HC and two could fit my Saga HC. If you have any manga in your collection, mix other reading in materials/movies with comics, or display a lot of smallish figures, the other three spaces would work very well.

You mentioned painting. I also have the three-drawer hemnes dresser. One day I decided to dry brush it magenta and brown with normal acrylic paint then sprinkle liquid brass leaf all over because my bedroom needed a mini galaxy. I sealed it with a thin coat of mod podge, but I'm sure there is something more archival to use. It has held up very well, but I don't remember if I roughed up the wood first.

So, long post. Apparently I get rambly late at night...
    TL;DR: Very sturdy, quality materials, shelf heights may be an issue depending on the collection, takes paint well.

Toefur

I have the Hemnes bookshelf too. While it looks nice, I wish the center shelf was adjustable. As it is I can get 4 rows of omnibuses, but then there are 2 little shelves in the middle that aren't big enough to hold even normal size graphic novels. I have paperback books on the top middle shelf, and then Barnes and Nobel leather bound classics on the lower middle shelf. i'd rather be able to do 5 rows of Omnis for a more consistent look. I might look into a Billy bookcase for the next one since those seem to be more customizable. It's been a month and a half, but if you're still looking I can take a picture when I get home.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I've been looking to buy new shelves and wanted to get them from Ikea. Unfortunately, the closest Ikea store is 3 hours from me and the shipping charge would be about $300. I can't do that. Does anyone know of any other store that carries shelves like Ikea? Any alternatives?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I've been looking to buy new shelves and wanted to get them from Ikea. Unfortunately, the closest Ikea store is 3 hours from me and the shipping charge would be about $300. I can't do that. Does anyone know of any other store that carries shelves like Ikea? Any alternatives?
    2nd post of this thread. Closetmaid Cubicals. If you don't like those, then your best option is to find sturdy shelving from a local furniture store or build your own shelving.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    2nd post of this thread. Closetmaid Cubicals. If you don't like those, then your best option is to find sturdy shelving from a local furniture store or build your own shelving.
    Those don't allow for oversized books
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Those don't allow for oversized books
    Those allow for Omnibuses and all Oversized/Deluxe books of those dimensions to be shelved normally. Source: I have them.

They don't allow for anything bigger, such as Dark Horse Library Editions, DC Absolute Editions, Marvel Adamantium/Platinum/Vibranium Editions, a lot of IDW's deluxe sized books, etc. You can certainly stack them in there, but you can't stand them up to display them with their spines.

So again, Cubicals are going to be your next best Big Box Store option if you can't go to Ikea. Like I said before, you could check out local furniture stores but you have to investigate the build and the materials use. A lot of that stuff is still just particleboard made in China. They just charge you more for it. And of course the real deal wood stuff is going to cost you more. Alternatively, hit a lumber yard/Home Depot/Lowe's/etc. and build your own custom shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    Those allow for Omnibuses and all Oversized/Deluxe books of those dimensions to be shelved normally. Source: I have them.

They don't allow for anything bigger, such as Dark Horse Library Editions, DC Absolute Editions, Marvel Adamantium/Platinum/Vibranium Editions, a lot of IDW's deluxe sized books, etc. You can certainly stack them in there, but you can't stand them up to display them with their spines.

So again, Cubicals are going to be your next best Big Box Store option if you can't go to Ikea. Like I said before, you could check out local furniture stores but you have to investigate the build and the materials use. A lot of that stuff is still just particleboard made in China. They just charge you more for it. And of course the real deal wood stuff is going to cost you more. Alternatively, hit a lumber yard/Home Depot/Lowe's/etc. and build your own custom shelves.
    Yeah, I might have to build my own. I have the larger books that won't fit in them and plan on getting the Hellboy Library Editions. Thanks