Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

My main shelving unit is all from the Billy range at Ikea. I designed it to step up and down with the contour of the ceiling in my attic. It's made up of several different sized shelves:
    1 60cm wide full-height unit (my original bookshelf)
    2 media shelves designed for DVD's either side
    2 40cm wide full-height units either side of that
    2 40cm wide half-height units at the ends
    2 height extenders that take add another shelf to the half-height units

image.jpg

The shelves are adjustable except for the middle one in the full height units, which are fixed for the sake of stability. If you have all the shelves of equal height it gives you 30cm's per shelf. This gives you enough space to comfortably fit OHC sized books with finger room at the top. Unfortunately if you need to make room for some bigger volumes (like Fear Agent library editions) you'll need to sacrifice height elsewhere. The shelves adjust in steps of about 3.5 cm, if you take that off one shelf you can still fit TPB's on them comfortably, but nothing else. Strangely enough, the height extenders are slightly taller, they're about 33cm which gives you just enough room for the Fear Agent library editions or similar.

The media units are designed for DVD's and Blu-rays, but you can also fit smaller books on there. I have the shelves about 21cm apart, and generally use them to display comic-related movies and TV shows, trying to store them next to their comic book counterparts. I have all the Timmverse DVD's at the top with my DC collection for example. Each shelf is wide enough for 10 DVD's. If the shelves are spaced similarly to mine there will be some left over shelves, I prop these up at an angle inside the shelves with blue-tac and rest films on them with the covers out, just to make things a bit more interesting.

image.jpg

In general with my shelves I try to make them look interesting. Rather than shelf labels I face out one book on each shelf that shows what character/type of book is on there. I try to make these OHC's or omni's whee possible. Obviously this can only be done if you have the space, I'm running out on certain shelves, but the space behind the outward-facing book gives room for some hidden overflow.

The 40cm shelves will fit up to 45 normal size TPB's on them, and about 15 OHC's depending on thickness. With an outward facing OHC that cuts the space in half. The shelves are deeper than they need to be for most books, so I pull mine forward to about 1cm from the edge, this just makes them look like they fit better and they seem more pronounced on the shelves that way. It's a good tip for anyone really.

When you make a shelving unit out of multiple shelves they can spread apart a bit at the top, depending on your flooring. The media shelves on mind aren't as deep so they can slip backwards. To neaten things up I just drilled a small hole near the top of each shelf and discretely screwed them to each other to keep them stable. I finished them off with a set of 3 lights on the top which also came from Ikea. Either side I have some floor standing speakers, which I use to complete the downwards slope on each side.

I also have a 4x4 square Expedit shelf from Ikea. I don't really use this for comics at the moment, but I might have to start doing if my collection grows any further. Each shelf gives you slightly more height than my Billy bookcases typically do, with a clearance of just over 33cm. That's a good height for most books, but still not enough for Absolute editions and similar. Unfortunately the heights can't be adjusted, but if you really want to, there is a way to adjust the widths.

If when you're building the unit you decide you need more width, don't fix that shelf in place. Keep it loose, use appropriately sized screws to hold the shelf above and below in place, then just slide the loose shelf into the position you want. It's such a tight fit that it won't go anywhere, I have to use this method to fit my printer on the shelves, which looks like this.

image.jpg

I hope this has helped someone, for more on my collection I've posted lots of pictures and close-ups on this thread:
    http://community.comicbookresources....e-goods!/page7

There's also an article I wrote with some tips about how to organise your shelves if anyone is interested in that sort of thing.
    http://wethenerdy.com/five-rules-of-shelf-organisation/

Quote Originally Posted by Kirky View Post
    My main shelving unit is all from the Billy range at Ikea. I designed it to step up and down with the contour of the ceiling in my attic. It's made up of several different sized shelves:
    1 60cm wide full-height unit (my original bookshelf)
    2 media shelves designed for DVD's either side
    Thanks again Kirky for posting such a comprehensive and detailed post.

I should mention that your original 60cm shelf isn't in production anymore. Now they sell them in increments of 40cm and 80cm and actually include adjustable shelving. I'm going to include links to what I presume is the rest of your shelving included in your reference images.

Extra details pertaining to Kirky's original post.

2 media shelves
    Labeled as Benno, these dvd towers measure a height of 79 1/2" and would match the tallest Billy shelf available from Ikea. Includes adjustable shelving.

Model # 873.052.07

Measure in at 15 3/4" Wide (40cm) x 11" Deep (28cm) x 79 1/2" High (202cm). Includes adjustable shelving.

Model # 400.857.09

Measure in at 15 3/4" Wide (40cm) x 11" Deep (28cm) x 41 3/4" High (106cm). Includes adjustable shelving.

Model # 900.857.02

Can be added to most Billy shelves as an extra shelf on the top. Must match width of current shelving to use.

Measures at 15 3/4" Wide (40cm) x 11" Deep (28cm) x 13 5/8" High (35cm). Has adjustable shelf.

Model # 701.973.95

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    Courtesy of John Keyt:

Image of an Ikea Kallax 4x2 holding short boxes. Model# 202.758.85

Attachment 1342Attachment 1343

Image of a Ribba picture ledge - 45" - with singles displayed. Model# 301.525.96

Attachment 1344
    That's amazing. Looks way better than my current set up. I think it's time for me to make an upgrade.

Fantastic Member

Thanks Husker I've enjoyed the new set up . Much better than a closet stacked full of boxes . Only got a few wall spaces left . Looking for some comic frames to display some signed issues .

What type of floating shelves are you using to display single issues? The ones I've gotten from Lowe's and Target sag like crazy (especially the Target ones, they're utterly useless). I really like the way yours look, John.

That said, I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on displaying single issues. I have quite a few slabbed books that I'd love to have on some floating shelves like that.

As with others, I have Ikea Expedit. You can also buy drawers for them, as utilised here (not mine): http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...a-for-awesome/

You can buy pre-made solutions specific for comics (no idea on the quality or the companies): http://www.comicoasis.com/Comic_Tombs/tombsgallery.html

DIY is also an option: http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku...s#.U5FZRS8u47A

If I had the space, this is what I'd build for single issue runs:

BANNED

Good day,

i'm thinking of putting my Adamantium Wolverine on top of my bookshelf for display, what should i purchase to ensure it stands tall and mighty, without falling and destroying my floor.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Good day,

i'm thinking of putting my Adamantium Wolverine on top of my bookshelf for display, what should i purchase to ensure it stands tall and mighty, without falling and destroying my floor.
    What kind of bookshelf do you have?

The thing might be pretty stable on its own, but an earthquake or one wrong bump into the shelf and it might come crashing down.

There's also no telling how that binding will hold up over time if you keep it upright. I think the possibility of page sagging is a very real thing with that book.

Edit - This is a better idea:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wollodrin View Post
    I got my artist edition on an easel.
    Got those in all different sizes, so it should work for any big book really.
    Last edited by kodave; 06-10-2014 at 12:51 PM.

BANNED

I have an Ikea expedit, right now i keep the Adamantium in it's package that came with the book. I have it on horizontal position.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Good day,

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wollodrin View Post
    Ignore what I said, this is the obvious solution I missed. Just get a really big sturdy easel. Problem solved.

So I just preordered the sinestro figure from sideshow collectible. Does anyone know where to get a nice single display case for it? It's around 25 inches tall. Can go way higher with a construct they give you.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

And boy the cost of properly framing or displaying our collectibles really gets high.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

I guess I should update the OP a little... That easel idea is clever. Any reliable sites sell some that work well with comics? I'll probably eventually add some links of it for reference.

I am glad thats one thing that I don't have an interest in is the collectibles and action figures and all that. Not really my cup of tea. But man I will go above and beyond for a good collection or run of single issues.